Seaman's Discharge Book

sswinsco
28th March 2011, 06:30
My Fathers discharge book ( 1920/1930s) shows RA under voyage (or sometimes RA Foreign instead of specific ports. What does RA mean?

trotterdotpom
28th March 2011, 06:36
"Running Agreement". It meant that the ship could return to the UK during the time of the agreement without the need to change Articles. From memory these agreements went for 6 months. On a normal Foreign going agreement the ship would have to change Articles as soon as she arrived back in the UK.

A "running agreement" was common on ships like ore carriers which would be back in the UK about every 4 to 6 weeks.

Welcome to SN.

John T

sswinsco
28th March 2011, 07:08
"Running Agreement". It meant that the ship could return to the UK during the time of the agreement without the need to change Articles. From memory these agreements went for 6 months. On a normal Foreign going agreement the ship would have to change Articles as soon as she arrived back in the UK.

A "running agreement" was common on ships like ore carriers which would be back in the UK about every 4 to 6 weeks.

Welcome to SN.

John T

Thanks John, another mystery solved.

Stuart

kevjacko
4th September 2011, 18:46
Thanks John, another mystery solved.

Stuart

You might find also that if the RA came to an end during a trip the whole crew would have to sign on off and sign on again. Look in your Dad's book and it might show the same ship stamp running concurrently.

TonyAllen
5th September 2011, 14:26
You might find also that if the RA came to an end during a trip the whole crew would have to sign on off and sign on again. Look in your Dad's book and it might show the same ship stamp running concurrently.

Yep my book has RA after frn Payed off in middlesborough and whole crew payed off ,iron ore boat Tony

david freeman
28th September 2011, 07:27
My Fathers discharge book ( 1920/1930s) shows RA under voyage (or sometimes RA Foreign instead of specific ports. What does RA mean?
One of the subtle differences between Fg and RA articles was as I believe: That On a RA crew could only demand to be paid off in the UK only, on FG Articles if the ship went foreign going and returned not only to NW Europe or the UK within the 2 years, (Otherwise they did 2 years and could be discharge in any foreign port, and still have to work their passage home?) then they could demand to be paid off. I do not think this was a company ruling, I maybe wrong

Burned Toast
28th September 2011, 09:27
One of the subtle differences between Fg and RA articles was as I believe: That On a RA crew could only demand to be paid off in the UK only, on FG Articles if the ship went foreign going and returned not only to NW Europe or the UK within the 2 years, (Otherwise they did 2 years and could be discharge in any foreign port, and still have to work their passage home?) then they could demand to be paid off. I do not think this was a company ruling, I maybe wrong

Foreign going Agreement, If the ship returned to a port between the Elbe and Brest after nine months on a two year agreement, the crew could be paid off at companies expense.

RA articles changed every six months, short trip vessels Iron Ore Vessels - Offshore vessels. 72 hours notice required excluding weekends and public holidays.

Ray