Captain Phil Chubb RNR

Jim S
31st March 2011, 21:12
I heard today that Captain Phil Chubb a long serving Master with Fyffes and later with Safmarine died recently.
I only sailed with him on Chicanoa in 1968. I liked the man and lets say, his mischievous ways at times.

Jim S

A.J.McMahon
24th April 2011, 16:39
I heard today that Captain Phil Chubb a long serving Master with Fyffes and later with Safmarine died recently.
I only sailed with him on Chicanoa in 1968. I liked the man and lets say, his mischievous ways at times.

Jim S

I sailed aboard the "Camito" of Elders & Fyffes when Phil Chubb was 1st Off (Mate) under Capt Lundy.1958-61. Then again when he had his first command in Fyffes aboard Reventazon. I likable character.

Basil
19th June 2011, 15:08
He was my captain on 'Matina' early sixties. Even from the lowly perspective of junior engineer he seemed a good boss.
Too many people I know falling off their perches.

Foca
26th August 2012, 21:10

Jim S

Real gentleman Captain Phil Chubb sailed with him as 2nd Mate on the "Matina" between Nov 62 and March 63...we were on a Geest charter from Central America to Baltic with the occasional trip to the States. I can remember freezing my balls off on standby aft going into Bremen as the docks were frozen over.

john richards
19th September 2012, 19:47
Captain P.A. Chubb was Master of the Sinaloa on her last voyage before being Broken up in Belgium. Joined 27 May 1964 Signed off 15 September 1964. The voyage was more than interesting ! I was J/E , my own memories of Phillip Chubb, the Sinaloa was Turbo Electric , Skipper rang the Engine Room to enquire " What Revs are we Doing?" one of the juniors gave him the Main Motor Revs about 1200 Skipper came back " What`s our altitued?". Sinaloa also Had a Disused Ballroom were the Lads played indoor football in, one afternoon we went into the Ballroom for a Kickaround to find The Captain up a ladder heid by the Mate unscrewing the Signs of the Zodiac set in The Dome of the ballroom ( They were Copper) Tapped the side of his nose and said "Mums the Word" and it was. Nice Guy Full of Humour and Good Master of a very difficult Voyage. RIP Chubby. John Richards

Foca
19th September 2012, 20:53
I sailed on the "Samala" in 1960, and I remember the dome quite well...I was third mate and we lived on the starboard side alleyway behind the bridge, there was a door which opened up to expose the topside of the dome, which we used to dry our dobie.
I must admit I always thought that space was a ballroom...but recently I have checked the plans of the Veragua, and it shows that space as a lounge
http://www.timetableimages.com/maritime/images/ufc50bd.htm

They must have been fantastic ships when they were first built, and the run they were on was something else. Happy days!