Booth Line

frank fawl
11th December 2005, 15:43
deleted

Maurice Grant
2nd September 2006, 03:12
I'm Maurice Grant and my first Second Engineers job was on the Dominic in 1954? and we had a couple of trips up to Iquitos one at low river where we took a fortnight from Manaus. Did you go up as far as that? Would be interested to correspond

R58484956
2nd September 2006, 11:36
Welcome onboard Maurice to the site, enjoy it, we do. You are now amongst the sea/ship loving fraternity, most of us left years ago but our minds are still there.

frank fawl
10th September 2006, 22:07
Hi Maurice,
I had given up hope of hearing from any other Booth Line seagoers
and had not tuned into the "ships nostalgia" site for some time.Sorry to keep you waiting such a long time for a reply.
I joined the "Dominic" as R/O in 1970 and sailed with her on and off for 4 great years. Never got as far as Iquitos
but spent great times on the Amazon from Belem to Manaus.
I left the sea in 1979 and now work for the Irish Aviation Authority where 3 or 4 other
Booth Line ex r/os also work.
We still remeniss about the good old days with
Maggies and all agree they were the best days of our lives.
Were you on the first trip when Booths took over the Dominic from the Danes? what was yr first trip on her? Do u remember
any of the names of those who sailed with u? Looking forward to hearing from u
and I wont miss out any posts from now on at the site

frank fawl

duquesa
10th September 2006, 23:26
Hi there - surprised someone didn't pick up on my comment (Best Watering Holes) about that shack in the jungle behind Manaus!! Me - ex Booth America - long time up the river - many strange memories - MV. Viajero.

jonog
2nd November 2006, 19:16
I sailed in the Boniface and the Benedict in 1983. Belem was unbelievable. 24 hour party town par excellence. Obidos upriver was very odd. Went ashore with some guys who were poisoned by 'high wine' wood alchohol mixed with Bacardi. Manaus was even better than Belem, especially The Cathedral club, built in the crypt of the ruins of the burnt out cathedral. What went on there was definitely NOT in the Book of Common Prayer!!!

duquesa
2nd November 2006, 19:28
Six weeks from Belem to Iquitos - aground three times, one of them for ten days. Lost two propellors. Happy days. Drank a lot of Budweiser and Slitz!! Before the time of radar. Expect it's very different now - no cruise ships up there then.

Dick S
22nd November 2007, 21:38
Hi,
Only did 1 trip with Booths in 1971 as 3/0 on the BONIFACE(ex ROSSETTI)my 1st trip as 3/0. great trip and great people. It was the trip after she had a mishap with the Brazilian gunboat and ended up in drydock in Belem. Can not remeber any names but I can remember the experience.
Sorry for the delay but only just found this sight

Dick S

Santos
22nd November 2007, 22:11
Hi Guys,

I was up in Manaus in 1960s on the L+H Sheridan. Along with our sister ship Spencer we ran between New York, West Indies and Manaus and St lawrence in the summer months, you may remember us.

Met quite a few Booth ships up there and in the Amazon and our two ships were later transfered to Booth Line as the Cyril and Cuthbert. I also sailed on the Rubens, which became the Bernard, and sailed on her again when she came back to L+H as the Rossini.

Chris.

Bruce F
27th June 2008, 05:34
I sailed on the S.S. Denis to Brazil and up the Amazon in April, 1951. A lovely shipping line. Had a lot of fun and gained a lot of EXPERIENCE!

Barmyclaresdad
30th June 2008, 12:03
Sailed as R/O on Basil in 1960's. Came back to join her in Hull after weekend ashore to find Customs rummage squads all over the vessel. They had found quite a hoard. We then took her round to the Blackwater for lay-up. (After we had all spent time with paint brushes making sure everything was spic and span)

billyt
30th June 2008, 18:13
Hi,
Only did 1 trip with Booths in 1971 as 3/0 on the BONIFACE(ex ROSSETTI)my 1st trip as 3/0. great trip and great people. It was the trip after she had a mishap with the Brazilian gunboat and ended up in drydock in Belem. Can not remeber any names but I can remember the experience.
Sorry for the delay but only just found this sight

Dick S

hi i did one trip on the Boniface as galley boy 1965 it was a good trip till we got
to Barbados lost two crew by drowning. they said it was jinksed because she
had canged her name cant remember what she was called?.was it the same
ship you sailed on??

billyt

billyt
31st December 2008, 22:30
are there any ex Boniface crew from 1965 when we done all the west indies,
they will remember because it was a sad end to a good trip when the two A/B's
Eddie Lennon, and Lenny Bean Drowned in Barbados at the back of the New York bar. I was the galley boy and the cook was a colored feller from Liverpool
Charley??????/ would like to here from any one.

Billyt

trotterdotpom
1st January 2009, 06:42
Anyone remember Chief Stewards Fred Archer and Sam Murtagh, both ex Booth Line?

John T.

sparky1
13th September 2009, 20:00
I was r/o on cuthbert nov 71 to jan 73, joined in NY did 4 trips upto Iquitos, best trip I ever did, several scouse officers Yogi & red engineers (4th eng pictured on the cuthbert pic seen on google at sale but cant remember his name. but he did take well to the pet pig ' georgeV). Elec jim (remember him setting fire to his bunk) 2nd mate ex china service, several skippers last one a taffy, big bearded mate from devon area, ch stwd also scouser, ch eng geordie who marred a WI girl and lived in trinidat -never had so much shore time

Tatums
5th April 2010, 21:10
Hi ,

My father was on the "Dunstan" back in the 50s, just wondering if anyone else did a trip on her, my father to this day has a lovely photo of her on his hallway wall along with other ship photos he worked on.My Father has loads of good stories, but unfortunately cannot navigate a computer yet, I am trying to persuade him to get a pc and join this fantasic forum.

regards
Phill

billyt
8th August 2011, 20:52
Hi, has anybody got any photos of the Boniface at sea or in dock
would like to see her again.
thank's

nautibuoy42
8th August 2011, 21:32
Look on the Blue Star Line web site, some pics of her there.

Keith Pengelly
9th August 2011, 18:05
Anyone remember Chief Stewards Fred Archer and Sam Murtagh, both ex Booth Line?

John T.

Ch/Stwd Sam Murtagh was around in P&O GCD in the mid 70's. I seem to remember his wife was spanish and he lived in Spain. He was also a really superb ballroom dancer a great asset on a run ashore in Belem!!

billyt
12th September 2011, 10:35
Look on the Blue Star Line web site, some pics of her there.
Thanks for that,I found photos of the Boniface she looks so different to what I remember. Thanks again.Billyt.

R58484956
12th September 2011, 13:44
Sailed with a Booth Line engineer JET Mason who spoke highly of the company and told me about the opera house in Manaus. Years later I managed to get to see it on holiday there. The only place where I have seen hearses with a blue flashing light on, possibly in a rush to get to heaven.

alan ward
12th October 2011, 16:15
My Old Man,Ted Ward,did a trip or two with Booths on the Samyale in the late 40`s and I`ve still got his buttons and hsi cap badge around somewhere.

southern cross
30th November 2011, 21:53
I will have a look I have a couple of the Boniface navigating the Amazon and a couple alongside in Barbados, ha ha the parky bar Belem 'classic'

trotterdotpom
30th November 2011, 22:32
Ch/Stwd Sam Murtagh was around in P&O GCD in the mid 70's. I seem to remember his wife was spanish and he lived in Spain. He was also a really superb ballroom dancer a great asset on a run ashore in Belem!!

Just read your post, Keith. Think we may be talking about different Sams -mine was with LOF throughout the '70s and was from Liverpool. Another good bloke though.

John T

David Lorimer
5th February 2012, 06:31
Anyone have background on this vessel? Or on Lloyd Hughes and the heoirc gang that took her from Galveston to Iquitos? I have a story to tell...

Tony Shaw
9th February 2012, 14:33
When serving on Harrison's "Novelist" quite a few years ago we obtained a Booth Line charter and loaded the usual 'mahogany, brazil nuts and coir at Belem and some villages along a tributary of the Amazon,one place name translating into The Isle of the Crocodile ! Never saw any though !

duquesa
9th February 2012, 15:31
Like - "Ilha do Crocodilo" ?

Tony Shaw
10th February 2012, 18:21
The very same !

Caffj
14th February 2012, 00:35
.I worked for Maggie Booth back in the early 1960's
Worked as 3rd then 2nd Mate on the Crispin. Also sailed on the Basil
from Dec 61 to Aug 62(laid her up in the river Blackwater).
Also served on the Denis. Only went up to Iquitos once that was
on the Crispin. Fond memories of the Booth Line.

Bob Hay
18th February 2012, 05:54
Great site this. Started as Junior Engineer on Rubens in 57, then over the years up till 64 on Raeburn(Colorado Star), Devis, Delius,Viajero, Raphael,Basil,Valiente,Dryden, Boniface.
A mixture of Booth and L+H boats.

Caffj
18th February 2012, 17:36
Hi Bob,
Nice to hear from you.
What year were you on the Basil?
Were you ever on the Denis.?
Maggie Booth let me take a one way ride out on the Denis
from Liverpool to Fortaleza (Oct 1962) as 3rd Mate where I
signed off to marry my Brazilian beauty. Now contently married
to her for 50 years.

Caffj

duquesa
18th February 2012, 19:21
"Great site this. Started as Junior Engineer on Rubens in 57, then over the years up till 64 on Raeburn(Colorado Star), Devis, Delius,Viajero, Raphael,Basil,Valiente,Dryden, Boniface.
A mixture of Booth and L+H boats."

Bob, do you recall when you were on the Viajero? Was Polish Stan Chief there then?

Graham Holden
18th February 2012, 20:28
Served as 2nd Mate on "Veras" 64 and 65. 5 trips from New York/Montreal to Brazil including 3 to Iquitos. Fantastic ship and a good crowd. Brazilian crew. Enjoyed every minute. George Potts was Master, Guy Guerandel was Mate and Mike Locke 3rd Mate. No radar on board so on the east coast of USA in fog we would drop anchor and wait for vis to improve! We used to tow a loaded barge alongside from Manaus to Iquitos at low river season. Happy days.

duquesa
18th February 2012, 22:52
I thoroughly enjoyed serving under George Potts.

Bob Hay
20th February 2012, 01:18
Hi Duquesa and Caffj, these are the times I was on Booth boats.
Viajero April 59- April 60 as 4th Engineer
Basil Dec 60- Feb 61 as 3rd
Valiente Oct 61 -June 63 as 2nd
Boniface Nov 64 -Dec 64 as 2nd.
Yes I remember old Stan Witkowski well. Bit temperamental at times but otherwise great Chief to work under. Had some amusing twists of the tongue with his English into the bargain.(LOL)
without a doubt those trips to Brazil and Peru were the best times of my life like yourselves.

Caffj
20th February 2012, 15:46
Hello Bob Hay(Eng) & Barmyclaresdad(RO) ex Booth Line .
Bob you were on the Basil before I was. However notice you sailed on the
Boniface. Was the Capt. Norman Sharpe?
Barmyclaresdad: You must have been on the Basil same time as me. I was on
her as 3rd Officer when we took her up the river Blackwater for lay up. Caffj.

duquesa
20th February 2012, 17:39
Hi Bob, you were on Viajero before me in that case. I also served under Norman Sharpe as mentioned above (he actually relieved Potts). I found him fine as well. Smith was another Master I recall but forget his first name. All good blokes in Booths.

will.
20th February 2012, 18:51
My last trip as deck cadet was on the Benedict in 1984.An amazing time was had by all !. Went up to Manaus, then on the way down river the Rudder stock parted from the Rudder, so I had to endure a whole month alongside in Belem !,my God I had a good time !!. Belem seemed to me to be in a permanent carnival mode.

duquesa
21st February 2012, 00:23
Yep, Belem! I seem to remember seeing quite a lot of it in the early morning through very blood shot eyes.
It was one of those places where I spent very few nights in "my" bunk!

Bob Hay
21st February 2012, 01:20
Just looking at my discharge book and found I was on the Boniface for only a few weeks bringing her round from Rotterdam to Liverpool Nov/Dec 64.

Any you blokes remember an incident in Belem involving us ( sure it was Valiente) and the Veloz or Venimos. this isn't imaginary stuff. Some of the guys on the other boat had bought some guns and ammunition in the States for them to sell in Manaus, but at the last minute they found out they were not going up to Manaus after all.
So in the spirit of goodwill (and the chance of an extra quid in it for us !!!) we generously offered to take them up for them and hurriedly got them transferred as quickly and quietly as possible before we all went up the road for Belem's nocturnal attractions.
Someone however had seen us and the next morning very early all our doors were crashed open by a squad of Marines and the goods pulled out of the dunnage hatch where we'd stowed them and us in front of them. This was serious stuff.
I can't explain how we got off but the other boat was impounded and had to wait for the British Consul to come up from Rio or somewhere to handle it. (This was all at the time when Castro's influence was spreading from Cuba).
On the way up to Manaus and Iquitos I seriously considered jumping ship, but returning to Belem a few weeks later found it had all blown over. Probably a few cartons of Pall Mall and whisky changed hands.

Barmyclaresdad
21st February 2012, 17:21
Hi, I was R/O on the Basil when she went to the Blackwater at the end of the trip. I remember spending time painting the radio room and also the customs found a load of drugs when she was docked in Hull before the lay-up

country boy
29th March 2012, 22:34
hello Billyt. I sailed on the boniface about 1964? my first trip as 2nd cook & baker.The cooks name was charlie jones,a good bloke,he got up to all the tricks.

Leratty
6th August 2012, 15:01
Barmyclaresdad, I made a poor decision not to sign on with the Booth Line ship called Basil for a trip up the Amazon, something I still regret to this day a seriously missed opportunity. I took a CPR ship called Beaver Ash up the Gt Lakes, great trip but hey still regret Basil. This was I think in 1964/5? There was Hebrides Islander called ..Hector McPhail (spelling) on deck I believe? Is there anyone out there who went up the Amazon on that trip, or any trip up the Amazon on her? I am sure it would have been a terrific trip. Does anyone have a picture of her? I recall she was at St Catherines dock?

A.D.FROST
6th August 2012, 16:14
Anyone have background on this vessel? Or on Lloyd Hughes and the heoirc gang that took her from Galveston to Iquitos? I have a story to tell...

SIDDONS'52(L+H)r/n RUBENS 1955,r/n BERNARD (Booth)1965,r/n ROSSINI (L+H)) 1967,r/n BERNARD(Booth),r/n BERWELL ADVENTURE(Sopac Bulk Carriers)(Booth charter)(Overseas Marine Corp.)r/n AL TURAB(Kelsey Bay Shg.)1974,b/u 1978 Gadani Beach.(K)

ysgolfach
19th August 2012, 11:03
Joined the RMS Hubert as Assistant Purser at Princess Dock in November 1962, served onboard until transferred to Austasia Line as Malaysia.
Captain was Commodore Jackson Wayman, Purser was Alfie Boyce and see to remember that the Chief Engineer was Sam Inch.

Foca
26th August 2012, 17:23
I was r/o on cuthbert nov 71 to jan 73, joined in NY did 4 trips upto Iquitos, best trip I ever did, several scouse officers Yogi & red engineers (4th eng pictured on the cuthbert pic seen on google at sale but cant remember his name. but he did take well to the pet pig ' georgeV). Elec jim (remember him setting fire to his bunk) 2nd mate ex china service, several skippers last one a taffy, big bearded mate from devon area, ch stwd also scouser, ch eng geordie who marred a WI girl and lived in trinidat -never had so much shore time

"The last one a Taffy"..that's me Lloyd Hughes. I remember you and all those girl friends you had in Manaus!!!! The mate was called Martin he had a nasty motor bike accident later, which left him in a bad way.
Nice chap "Gentle Giant". Chief Steward was called Willy, otherwise known as "One Egg Willy"...2nd Mate Tom Morgan(The Welsh Yank) and on the last trip I did I think the Third Mate was an Egyptian guy called Nadir.

Foca
26th August 2012, 21:09
hello Billyt. I sailed on the Boniface about 1964? my first trip as 2nd cook & baker.The cooks name was charlie jones,a good bloke,he got up to all the tricks.
Hi Billyt. I was 2nd Mate on the "Boniface" right through 1964,Lloyd Hughes. Captain John Stoker and Mackereth were Masters, we had various Mates Ned St Roas, George Potts and a few others I cannot remember.....Third Mate was Dave Rowan and one of the Cadets was John Atkins. Happy ship great bunch of shipmates. Joined the "Dunstan" in Antwerp on Boxing Day 1964 and it trip up to Iquitos back to New York, hence back to Iquitos before sailing back to Liverpool, nearly eight months in all. Skippers were Philip Baxter and Humphreys (known as Jacare). Not sure who the cook was on the "Boniface" but I remember one getting the sack after a special lunch, and the other cook I remember made a fantastic rum punch.

hugdavliv
27th August 2012, 16:01
My late father Owen Hughes, was a chief engineer with Booths in the mid 60's and sailed all the way up to Iquitos. I rembember dad talking about a Polish 1st mate, who had been in the RAF. I did recall dad talked about a Chief Steaward called Fred. There was also a skipper called Sharp, Sharp by name, Sharp by nature. He never allowed the chief stewards to make any money on the sideand ran a very tight ship. Going up the Amazon made a huge impression on dad. Pier number no1 in Brooklyn, where Booths sailed from, is now a public park, Was in New York a few years ago, was very moving being near to where dad used to sail from. Starling Press have a book on Captain Humphreys, time with Booth's, gives a very good insight into the life and times of the company. Dad also used to look up a retired Welsh skipper, in Manaus.

duquesa
27th August 2012, 23:14
I sailed with Sharp for a while. He was a tad stern but OK really. Can't believe they turned that damned jetty in Brooklyn into a park. There was a diner across the street that sold the most amazing Turkey Heroes.

Foca
28th August 2012, 08:07
Hi duquesa ...Yes Pier 1 is a Park now for sure, nearly all the berths on the Brooklyn side have gone..........but them turkey heroes were something else, making my mouth water just thinking about them.
Remember the heat coming into New York in the summer....and sitting on the boat deck of the "Veras" at night drinking Shlitz and eating "Turkey Heroes", not forgetting the dill pickles.
I never sailed with Sharp(Macaco Branco), but I relieved him a few times.
Hi hugdavliv ...I sailed with your Dad in 1966 on the "Veras" when I was Mate..I think he did 2 trips with us Ned St Roas was Captain. If I remember right one of the trips was when we towed to "Dennis" of the bank off Portel, we all got a nice bit of salvage for that.
I cannot remember a Polish 1st Mate but I sailed with a Polish Chief Engineer Stan Witouski, you was a real character as were most of the crews you sailed with Booths. There was an old Welsh Skipper who lived in Belem that used to work for the old Iquitos Steamship Co., cannot remember his name.
Most of the old Chief Stewards I knew have passed away now Alfie Boyce, Jimmy Spears and Billy Deary all good shipmates.
Just heard that Eric Bentley(CriCri) at Booth line who ran a shipping agency with his sons in Manaus passed away a few years ago.
Anybody remember Pinky Webster?

duquesa
28th August 2012, 08:30
I hadn't very long with Sharp. More with Potts and Baxter. A strange Geordie mate called Horsley Magnay. Booth line fella in the Amazon called Ted Avery from Liverpool and his delightfully sexy wife. Capt Humphreys I recall in NY as super I think. And yes, the Shlitz and Pabst beers. Great company.

Foca
28th August 2012, 08:59
I sailed with Magnay as 2nd mate on the "Dunstan"....the word strange does describe him, he always used to wear stinking trainers. The lifeboats on the "Dunstan" leaked something awful, so Magnay got chippy to re caulk them...when we arrived Liverpool Magnay reported that the boats were in tip top condition, I was on leave but I believe the boats were lowered for a test in Queens dock..I think the shore gang just managed to get the hooks back on before they sank. Never heard about him after that.
Forgot to mention Ted Avery and the wife you describe was called Iris, He left Belem and the last time I heard about him was we was working with Manchester Liners...he was glassed in the face in Manchester when he went to break up a fight...I like Ted and Iris real nice couple.
No Humphreys(Jacare) was never a super in New York, maybe you got mixed up with Hunter you was super there. Captain Humphreys met and married a Polish Countess who was a passenger on an Amazon Cruise...just left his wife and children of God knows how many years, mind you money talks. The Countess bought him a full Square Rigged Barque which he kept berthed in Castries,St Lucia which was supposed to run charter work in the West Indies but never got off the ground. Funny thing really is that the day he was sacked for all his shenanigans, I passed him in the office on the way to be promoted to my first command.

duquesa
28th August 2012, 12:44
Hunter was the chap. Grey cells are going. Iris Avery was a great sport. They travelled with us on the river once and we had some unforgettable parties on that boat deck. We went swimming at Portel where she insisted on riding around on my shoulders trying to knock everyone else under water. Almost drowned me! The experience was repeated by another "river female" - Victoria van Scherpenberg, whose father ran the timber outfit up at Santarem de Macapa. Ole!

Foca
29th August 2012, 15:25
I seem to remember old Von Scherpenberg and his daughters at the timber port on Santana Island opposite the Ore berth, later it was taken over by the Murphy Brothers who also ran other logging port just before the entrance to the narrows which the name of I cannot remember....which was run by a very good friend Otto and his wife Pat. It was a treat to load there, Otto would fly down to Belem in his Lake Sea Plane(First time I ever flew was in that) for a seven reeler film and we would all be invited up the the house Pat would make us steaks and apple pie like momma made, with a film in the jungle clearing after(Everyone from miles around came to watch). They always had a return invite to the ship the next day for lunch. I used to see them every trip as they retired to Wilmington N.C., Pat sadly died of cancer but Otto came over to Wales to see us in the early !989. Did you ever go to that place?

duquesa
29th August 2012, 15:51
Never met an Otto but I remember the Van Scherpenbergs well. Had some very pleasant, relaxed spells there on their garden by the river. The names of the other estuary logging stops (tied to trees) have been lost in time and it would take a bit of jogging to dislodge them. Like I said earlier, great times which I would hate to have missed. I

Caffj
24th September 2012, 00:33
Hi duquesa,
Very surprised to hear Capt Norman Sharpe was a strict master.
I sailed with him on the Crispin and spent many a happy hour chatting to him
on the bridge wing during the voyages I served on her with him.
Maybe we got on well because we had both served our time on tramp ships and
came from the same city so we had much in common. I found him to be a very
good seaman and master.
Caffj

duquesa
24th September 2012, 09:27
Hi caffj, well it is a long time back and as I said, from memory only a "tad" stern. I really have nothing to complain about regarding any Booth Line officers I encountered. As a company in general, they were a pleasure to work with (IMHO!).(Pint)

Foca
24th September 2012, 09:43
Although I did not sail with Norman Sharpe, from what I heard I do not think duquesa "tad" stern is not far off the mark. Norman loved his beer, and the story goes he tried to defrost his fridge by pouring hot water in and closing the door...the fridge imploded...company were non too amused.

Mike Williamson
12th November 2012, 07:20
Folks, I love reading this forum - I didn't realize how many Maggie Boothers there are out there. I spent a great year on Viajero on the Amazon in 66/67 and before that on Devis on the Brazzie coast. If anyone has time, take a look at my posts at www.mike-williamson.blogspot.com.au I would love to hear from any of you. I'm trying to track a few of my old shipmates down, but so far no deal. I know a few of them like Frank Stinchcombe (The Saint) and John Cullimore are no longer with us - and I suspect that this is sadly true for a few more of 'em. If you like my posts - please leave a comment on the site - I'd love to hear from you - and keep the great posts coming.

duquesa
12th November 2012, 09:15
Hi Mike, as you will have noticed I too was on Viajero but a bit before your time so I'm no help with your shipmates. However, your blog and accounts are brilliant . So accurate and bring back many happy memories. I'll read all again when I've got some time off which happens to be not now! (Thumb) Thanks for posting.

Foca
13th November 2012, 11:41
Hi Mike...Just missed you on the "Viajero", I relieved John Needham in August 1967 for 12 months. Previous year I joined the "Veras" in Hamburg during the lengthening before sailing in February back to the Amazon service. John eventually married the girl he had been courting from Brooklyn, some of the "V" boats were laid up in Brooklyn for a while and I think John spent a lot of time there. I personally think we should think of having a reunion for all Booth Line river-men...it was an experience of a lifetime, I spent 15 years on the Amazon run before being moved to the Lamport South American run; which I enjoyed as well.

clockwork
14th November 2012, 16:26

Hi David, i am the only guy who sailed on the BERNARD and went with her when she became the BERWELL ADVENTURE as 2nd engineer.I was with her from beginning to end.It was me that ran the job.When i left to my knowledge she didn't sail again and was handed back to booths before they sold her on.It was an amazing experience and i have an equally amazing storey to tell.The address on my mail which i have kept all this time and i am looking at it now was OVERSEAS MARINE INCORPORATED,11BROADWAY NEW YORK, NEW YORK. The owners name whom i dealt with directley was BERT WELLSFORD.What else would you like to know.my email is:stuart_hodson48@hotmail.co.uk.

Leratty
14th November 2012, 17:48
MIke I just read your blog wonderful envious of your trips with Booth as I had the opportunity to do that on the Basil but took a Beaver boat instead for two trips, why I am not sure after all this time. But did do the Sth American trips with BSL B.A. Montevideo through the Magellan Straits to Valpo, Callao, Illo, etc & back a few times. So many stories, so many great shipmates if some even by those days a bit loopy (: Also did one trip on a BA Flyer. I have tried to get a picture of the Basil to no avail, my mate who did the trip said he had one but has not been able to locate it sadly & can find out zero on her via the net. Ironicly I wound up the jnr project manager of Illo's huge open cut copper mine as my first job out of London Uni where I went when I left the sea, small world huh? Richard

Foca
14th November 2012, 18:34
Hi David, i am the only guy who sailed on the BERNARD and went with her when she became the BERWELL ADVENTURE as 2nd engineer.I was with her from beginning to end.It was me that ran the job.When i left to my knowledge she didn't sail again and was handed back to booths before they sold her on.It was an amazing experience and i have an equally amazing storey to tell.The address on my mail which i have kept all this time and i am looking at it now was OVERSEAS MARINE INCORPORATED,11BROADWAY NEW YORK, NEW YORK. The owners name whom i dealt with directly was BERT WELLSFORD.What else would you like to know.my email is:stuart_hodson48@hotmail.co.uk.
I am afraid you have not got the full story....the "Berwell Adventure" was left to rot in Gulfport by Overseas Marine Inc, with over 2.5 Million Dollars of writs pinned to her wheelhouse window. The crew hand not been paid and left, leaving only a Greek mate who promoted himself to Captain and his belly dancer partner, who lived ashore: and a stowaway Costa Rican who could not leave the ship. When I flew out with a Chief Engineer the ship was rat infested, filthy as all the rooms were covered in soot from the fires the crew had been burning in their rooms to keep warm, the galley stoves likewise were buckled from being used as wood burners. Nothing in the Engine-room worked and the bilges were full of oily water up to the plates...hatches had been left open and the remains of the fertilizer that had been part loaded and then discharged had rusted all the hatches, none of the deck winches worked...I could go on and on but the ship was a complete mess. I found out how the Greek Captain could afford to live ashore, he and his girl friend had been coming aboard each day and taking cigarettes and spirits from the bond and flogging it ashore.....he certainly did not like it when I threw them both off the ship and changed the locks on the Bond.
Anyway to cut a long story short, after about 2 months we eventually got the ship fumigated, cleaned up, engines sorted etc and most of the crew joined.
We sailed as the "Berwell Adventure" under the British Flag to New Orleans,Houston, Galveston and Pensacola to load a complete oil rig for BP, oil pipes, DC8 caterpillars, cement,explosives and other oilfield material all destined for Iquitos Peru. On the return trip from Brazil we loaded a full cargo for Lisbon,Leixoes, Barry and Liverpool.
The trip took six months and during that time we earned enough in freight to pay off the writs and all our expenses..so that when the ship was sold in Liverpool she was debt free.
And for your information Overseas Marine Inc were never the owners of the "Berwell Adventure" but the charterers, anyway Booths got their money back so they were happy. So you see you were not the only guy who sailed on her as the "Berwell Adventure".....and I can tell you it was an adventure, but that is a story for another time.

Foca
14th November 2012, 18:43
Leratty, Hi
Picture of the "Basil" on the Blue Star site: I sailed on her as the "Dunstan". I was Master on the "Belloc" in 1980/81 on a Chilean National Line charter, we called in Illo a lot on our travels, really enjoyed that run from the Continent via Punta Arenas, Magellan Straits and the West Coast and sometimes coming down the other way round
Regards Lloyd.

http://bluestarline.org/booth/dunstan4.html

R58484956
15th November 2012, 16:54
Leratty, Goto http://www.photoship.co.uk Old ship galleries "B" page 8
wherethereis a photo of BASIL

Leratty
15th November 2012, 19:02
Hi Foca what an adventure, JC I was on the Warkworth a Dalglesh vessel & a bloody good looking ship too as well as a happy one. She was pretty new & she was seized by Le Sheriff akin Berwell Adventure. Writs all over the wheel house doors, it was in Three Rivers or Sorel Quebec around 64 I think? We had to anchor off in the mighty St Lawrence, still remember what we saw caught on the anchor cables in the morning (: What an amusing trip that was & much longer than expected too not that it worried me as I got to taste my very first pizza & enjoy the company of one or two French Canadian Damsel’s, oh la, la!
Yours sounded a lot worse but still I suggest amusing as well as an experience you would not have missed? Richard

Leratty
15th November 2012, 19:06
R58484956 JC sounds like a safe No (: anway thanks so much for that, a ripper site, have the photo along with some others I was seeking. Sincerly much appreciated. Richard

Leratty
15th November 2012, 19:14
Focca I was well out of Illo by then job done & dusted. Went from there to Jamaica as snr Project manager putting in a bauxite mine for Kaiser. The money was embarrassing for one in their early 20's, A/H 300 mk3 in Baltimore, nice apartment nice lady friends, money in the bank. No way that would have happened if I had stayed at sea ): I tell you the mining industry was easy as amusing as the sea on the WCSA, some truly memorable people who took life by the horns & shook it. The places we worked were often in a word different! Bloody good times as with those at sea, strong bonds between us all & still friends with quite a No around the world too. Richard

Mike Williamson
19th November 2012, 06:37
Hi Boothers and Laurel & Hardy fans, I've just posted my last and final chapter in my Viajero and Amazon saga. Not sure how to link it, but please check it out at http://mike-williamson.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/black-muddy-river-roll-on-forever.html. If you like it, please leave a comment. Matter of fact, if you don't like it, leave one as well - I can take it!
Thanks to Foca on the update on a couple of characters. Anyone wants to organise a reunion sometime, while we're all still kicking - let me know!
Keep that lantern swinging
Mike

duquesa
19th November 2012, 10:30
Another good one Mike, well done.(Applause)

michaeljordan
20th July 2013, 20:17
anyone remember jack Jordan chief steward I am his son

ysgolfach
20th July 2013, 23:45
I was the assistant purser onboard the Hubert for two years 1962 until 1964 when she was renamed.
Captain was Commodore Jackson Wayman, Purser was Alfie Boyce, seem to remember the Chief Engineer was Sam Inch.
The two years I had on the Hubert were the best years I ever spent at sea, I think that Jack Jordan was the Chief Steward.

michaeljordan
21st July 2013, 11:26
Thank very much for your last about jack Jordan.I am his son and I joined the royal navy

trotterdotpom
21st July 2013, 11:47
Ysgolfach, asked this before on this thread, but wondered if you ever knew Chief Stewards Sam Murtagh and Fred Archer from Booth Line. Both ended up in LOF.

John T

ysgolfach
21st July 2013, 14:44
John T,

I only served onboard the Hubert for two years and in that time I believe that Jack Jordan was the Chief Steward.
The Pursers dept was Alfie Boyce, Purser - Glyn Rowlands, Snr Asst Purser and myself as Junior Asst Purser, I joined at 18 years of age and left at 20. I had been transferred from Blue Star Line (Argentina Star) as the Hubert urgently required an Asst Purser.
I did have a nickname on the Huber which was "Freddie'.
I actually did one voyage with LOF on the London Valour and left around a week to 10 days prior to the disaster.

trotterdotpom
21st July 2013, 15:03
Thanks for that Ysgolfach. Think they both worked on the cargo ships, both great characters.

The "London Valour" tragedy was before my time with the company but it has come to mind lately with the Costa Concordia trials beginning. I met the 2nd Mate from the Valour, a Cardiff lad, and he was the "last man standing", so to speak, and, as far as the Italian authorities were concerned, it was down to him! Luckily he'd left the country by then, but he couldn't return to Italy because he'd have been thrown in prison. If more folk had died, the Italians would have worked their way down the crewlist to find someone to pin it on.

Thanks again and welcome to SN.

John T

michaeljordan
5th November 2013, 21:23
Joined the RMS Hubert as Assistant Purser at Princess Dock in November 1962, served onboard until transferred to Austasia Line as Malaysia.
Captain was Commodore Jackson Wayman, Purser was Alfie Boyce and see to remember that the Chief Engineer was Sam Inch.

Was the chief steward JACK JORDAN, I am his son

ysgolfach
5th November 2013, 23:20
Was the chief steward JACK JORDAN, I am his son

Yes, Jack Jordan was the Chief Steward. He was with us to the end of the 'Hubert' when she was renamed the Austasia on the Australia/Singapore run, this was towards the end of 1964.

sparky1
23rd November 2013, 17:26
"The last one a Taffy"..that's me Lloyd Hughes. I remember you and all those girl friends you had in Manaus!!!! The mate was called Martin he had a nasty motor bike accident later, which left him in a bad way.
Nice chap "Gentle Giant". Chief Steward was called Willy, otherwise known as "One Egg Willy"...2nd Mate Tom Morgan(The Welsh Yank) and on the last trip I did I think the Third Mate was an Egyptian guy called Nadir.

Less of the Manaus details please, havn't been here on this site for a while Skip. But fond memories of that trip, would loved to have stayed longer. Took a month or two to straighten out after leaving from New York in Jan 74. Did another couple of trips with Marconi then left for Buries Markes. After getting married, left the navy side and went to Portishead, saw the writing on the wall there and left in '84 worked for the government thereafter. The times on the Cuthbert and her bloody radar (I often remember being upto my ankles in water in the pump room back of the bridge working on live radar equipment) are way and above the best of my times in the Merch and yes I do have many many fond memories of those times - take care

Foca
11th February 2014, 10:41
Nice to hear from you......I too have many fond memories of the Amazon, more or less left in the early seventies and transferred to the Lamport and Holt run Rio, BA, Montevideo run, until we were taken over by Blue Star Ship Management.
Made redundant in 1982, Worked in the Gulf for a while, then a spell on the coast with Arklow Shipping until I took over command of the Research Vessel for UCNW and I was there till I retired in 1997.

rodrocket
15th February 2014, 21:46
.I worked for Maggie Booth back in the early 1960's
Worked as 3rd then 2nd Mate on the Crispin. Also sailed on the Basil
from Dec 61 to Aug 62(laid her up in the river Blackwater).
Also served on the Denis. Only went up to Iquitos once that was
on the Crispin. Fond memories of the Booth Line.
I worked my way up from apprentice to 2nd mate in maggie booths from 1957-1964. SS DENIS, MV VIGILANTE. MV VENEMOS & RMS HUBERT. any bodu out there on same ships same time would like to hook up. fond memories of all the logging ports up the mighty AMAZON Also good time in 'tank street' Belem

duquesa
15th February 2014, 23:40
I worked my way up from apprentice to 2nd mate in maggie booths from 1957-1964. SS DENIS, MV VIGILANTE. MV VENEMOS & RMS HUBERT. any bodu out there on same ships same time would like to hook up. fond memories of all the logging ports up the mighty AMAZON Also good time in 'tank street' Belem

Hi, as you will see from my earlier posts on this thread, same time approx but different ships. Same memories however. I didn't want to mention tank street!!!!

pete barlow.
8th March 2014, 17:04
Hi Trotterdotpom, I sailed with a fredie archer ch/twd on theSalamanca psnc I was his 2nd stwd nov 59 to june 60 couldit be the same, he was one hard man. I also made 3 trips on the Hilary up the amazon march54 to nov 54 catering
dept another happy ship, lots of tales nobody would believe Pete barlow

marinemec2004
8th March 2014, 17:37
Any of you M.Booth guys sail with my dad-Arthur Louis Halsall.
Dont know when , probably late 50's -from Liverpool -possibly galley boy
Dads passed away now, but remember Mum said he sailed with MB

trotterdotpom
8th March 2014, 22:19
Hi Trotterdotpom, I sailed with a fredie archer ch/twd on theSalamanca psnc I was his 2nd stwd nov 59 to june 60 couldit be the same, he was one hard man. I also made 3 trips on the Hilary up the amazon march54 to nov 54 catering
dept another happy ship, lots of tales nobody would believe Pete barlow

Thanks Pete. I'm sure that is the same Fred, he was a big time South America hand. I knew him in LOF in the '70s - a great bloke who had probably mellowed with age.

John T

marinemec2004
9th March 2014, 08:01
Phill,
Im trying to find out which vessel (s) my late Dad sailed on with M.Booths.
All I know is he "ran away" to sea -dont know when. Mum ( sadly passed away too) said he sailed up the Amazon. His name was Arthur Louis Halsall from Liverpool. He was very young -could have been a gallley hand .
Ask your Dad if he came across him please
Thanks
Roy Halsall.

My father was on the "Dunstan" back in the 50s, just wondering if anyone else did a trip on her, my father to this day has a lovely photo of her on his hallway wall along with other ship photos he worked on.My Father has loads of good stories, but unfortunately cannot navigate a computer yet, I am trying to persuade him to get a pc and join this fantasic forum.

regards
Phill[/QUOTE]

pete barlow.
17th March 2014, 17:24
Hi All you Maggie booths guys still waiting to hear from any one who sailed on the RMS Hilary I made three trips on her from 16 march 1954 till 24 November 1954 catering , great ship and great times. Peter Barlow.

sparky1
10th May 2014, 18:17
Lloyd Hughes, SkipperI sailed with on the Cuthbert 73, did 4 trips NY to Iquitos

tom roberts
11th May 2014, 20:55
Re the Booth Line last week I was watching an old Kojak episode and was surprised to see in the background of a dock scene the Clement a Booth boat,as the location is supposed to be New York can any one tell me where the Clement was docked

duquesa
12th May 2014, 00:05
Probably the old pier #1 just under Brooklyn Bridge.

duquesa
12th May 2014, 00:07
Probably the old pier #1 just downstream of Brooklyn Bridge.
Whoops - I think I've replied twice - sorry.

tom roberts
12th May 2014, 16:38
Probably the old pier #1 just downstream of Brooklyn Bridge.
Whoops - I think I've replied twice - sorry.

Thanks for the info Duquesa,ked the programme often shows dock scenes and I try to see where they are.I docked in New York a number of times and over in Newark and Perth Amboy and once in Bush Terminal Brooklin.I love the show it takes me back to the times there and I loved all the big American cars .

Foca
24th June 2014, 21:10
Well Tom you have certainly taken me back through the years......Summer 1976 to be exact.
The "Clement" and a few others "V" boats were laid up in Brooklyn for a while, not that I can remember the berth but it was somewhere down by the Brooklyn Army Terminal. I can remember all hands on the bridge wings watching the filming. I remember seeing the episode when I got home and you could just make out few heads on the bridge wings.
There was a road that ran parallel with the river were the locals used to use as a drag race track in the evenings. It was one of the hottest Summers I remember and the air pollution was pretty bad...certainly glad to get out at sea again.
By the 1970's the Booth operation had moved from Pier 1, Pier 2, Atlantic Basin and we ended up at a Mafia run berth close to Erie Basin, which I remember very well.
Some of the "V" boats were there for a long time with the crews going native.

hugdavliv
3rd December 2014, 14:48
My dad was a chief engineer with Booths, he has been dead for over 20 years, but used to talk about Fred. I think he ended up in Kuwait shipping? Bob Hughes