RFA Largs Bay heading to Australia.

wigger
6th April 2011, 17:36
Just spotted this, at least it makes a change from going to South America
http://www.defencemanagement.com/news_story.asp?id=15989

Wonder what the chances are of her coming back home once the new RAN Canberra class are in service....slim to none?

Craig

NickNZ
9th April 2011, 10:01
I would say..........Nil, she will be sold by the Aussies for more than GBP65 million

wigger
9th April 2011, 10:49
Harsh.. but fair comment Nick! :D

Dickyboy
9th April 2011, 12:15
Seen here sailing from Portsmouth a year or two ago.........

Mike S
9th April 2011, 14:43
Please tell me that she does not have Pielstick engines...........please!

oilkinger
9th April 2011, 16:39
My son & I are both ex RAN. We are speculating on a name change ( if any ).
He suggested HMAS Nullarbor - flat & boring. I reckon the name should reflect the Ozzie culture - HMAS Barbeque!
Surely they won't name it after a pissy little burb in Adelaide.

JG/FME

Dickyboy
9th April 2011, 17:19
This is a picture of Mounts Bay, Largs Bay sister. To give some idea of the scale of these ships. She's entering Portsmouth.
I like the Nullabor, plan to drive it next year. :o)

NickNZ
14th April 2011, 09:33
Dare I suggest HMAS Kalgoorlie ? Miles from the sea, and full of "professional" women.......

Nigel Wing
14th April 2011, 09:46
Please tell me that she does not have Pielstick engines...........please!

Largs Bay has Diesel/Electric propulsion, being an electrician myself, I am afraid I did not take much notice of her diesels, but I am sure they were Wartsila.
Cheers
Nigel.

markwarner
14th April 2011, 11:40
2 Wartsila 8L26 engines
2 Wartsila 12V26 engines

Mike S
15th April 2011, 02:04
Thank heavens for that!!
Now we only have to teach the RAN to drive a vessel that is normally run by the Merchant Marine (RFA). I am afraind I have little confidence in their ability to do that however time will tell.
If their track record to date is anything to go by then it looks a little too big for them to play with.

hillshepherd
15th April 2011, 06:42
Thank heavens for that!!
Now we only have to teach the RAN to drive a vessel that is normally run by the Merchant Marine (RFA). I am afraind I have little confidence in their ability to do that however time will tell.
If their track record to date is anything to go by then it looks a little too big for them to play with.

I am sure they will give it a 'fair go' ! I did not hear any problems about my old ship TIDE AUSTRAL (HMAS SUPPLY) which they ran for many years and they took RFA APPLELEAF on for several years as HMAS WESTRALIA. The tankers have quite a loyal following amongst RAN personnel - see http://www.navaltankermen.com/ We are sorry to see her go but at least she is not being trashed and is going to friends.

Dickyboy
15th April 2011, 08:14
Dare I suggest HMAS Kalgoorlie ? Miles from the sea, and full of "professional" women.......

I went to Kalgoorlie a couple of years ago, on the "Indian Pacific" Only there three hours or so. Did a coach tour to see the sights, it was at night. I asked if they could hold the train for a few hours while I visited the "Professionals" They refused, and most of the other people on the coach weren't impressed with my request. Not got a seaman's sense of humour I suppose.....(Jester)

NickNZ
15th April 2011, 08:20
That'd be the Aussies......... You know the Japanese have just invented a new camera, so fast, it can actually capture an image of an Aussie with his wallet in his hand?

King Ratt
15th April 2011, 08:29
I served in Sir Geraint in 1980 (Capt Purtcher-Wydenbruck). A RAN Commander was assigned to the ship for a couple of months to see how the vessel was run. He returned to Australia to command the HMAS Tobruk which was then being built and of a similar design to our LSLs. I believe Tobruk is still in service.

dab
15th April 2011, 13:24
I remember a story about HMAS Supply having her Eng Room flooded whist alongside in Sydney. The story was she came in from an excercise on a Friday and went on to shore mains, apparently the crew were given shore leave and someone left a sea valve open! I think she was alongside at Garden Island. Maybe someone can confirm or correct the story. It would have been in the 60s.

James_C
15th April 2011, 19:45
I served in Sir Geraint in 1980 (Capt Purtcher-Wydenbruck). A RAN Commander was assigned to the ship for a couple of months to see how the vessel was run. He returned to Australia to command the HMAS Tobruk which was then being built and of a similar design to our LSLs. I believe Tobruk is still in service.

I'm sure I read on Wikipedia recently that an RFA contingent visited Australia in the 90s to inspect HMAS Tobruk with a view to purchasing her to replace one of the non-rebuilt LSL's (Percy/Geraint), as she was deemed surplus by the Aussies.
Anyone know any more about that?

Mike S
16th April 2011, 02:17
HMAS Tobruk is one of the reasons why we are buying Largs Bay. She is a rustbucket.
Kanimbla and Manoora are the same..............
Sadly HMAS Westralia had a tragic engine room fire in 1998 when incorrectly specified flexible fuel lines were fitted to her main engine injectors. I was one of the two tugmasters who towed her back to her berth at Fleet Base West in Garden Island. One of the saddest days in my career. There were four young lives taken that day.
I am sure they will work their butts off to make sure that they run Largs Bay well however it is more the system I have issue with. There is a world of difference between how a Merchant vessel's engine room is manned and the way the RAN do it.
We took delivery of a new ship not long ago built by Hyundai with a Sulzer main engine. First time they went to the RIMPAC excercise they had to come home early with engine trouble.
Hence my scepticism and concern. Surely they should be manned by qualified Merchant engineers with real marine qualifications just as the RFA do and the USNS vessels are.

Dickyboy
16th April 2011, 07:34
That'd be the Aussies......... You know the Japanese have just invented a new camera, so fast, it can actually capture an image of an Aussie with his wallet in his hand?

Yeah, but only when they're putting money INTO it (Jester)

James_C
16th April 2011, 12:14
Hence my scepticism and concern. Surely they should be manned by qualified Merchant engineers with real marine qualifications just as the RFA do and the USNS vessels are.

Seeing as the Aussie Navy appears to be perpertually short of manpower, this could be an opportunity to absorb some MN engineers into the service specifically to operate Largs Bay/Sirius etc whilst transferring their RAN Engineers to perhaps more sympathetic ships.
You could perhaps suggest say the same for the Deck side.

trotterdotpom
16th April 2011, 12:41
What's wrong with naming the ship after a suburb of Adelaide? They named "Tobruk" after a suburb of Tripoli and "Manoora" after a public toilet in Alice Springs.

John T.

Molls-Phot
19th April 2011, 11:14
What about HMAS Rabaul?

Mike S
20th April 2011, 07:42
I agree Jim.........an ideal solution and one that will sadly get no where with the structure pf Defence in Oz.
The only simple way is to transfer this class of vessel to the MN in the same way as the RFA and the USNS system works. Aurora Australis which services the Antarctic Bases is run by merchant personnel........same system would work fine and release RAN personnel to man the warships.
Of course this requires common sense, not a thing one sees much of in Canberra these days. Maybe I need a "Spin Doctor" to give it a whirl..........

James_C
14th August 2011, 09:39
Largs Bay to be renamed HMAS Choules.
Story here: http://seawavesmagazine.blogspot.com/2011/08/naming-of-ex-rfa-largs-bay-hmas-choules.html

Pat McCardle
14th August 2011, 09:55
Good to see that the Aussies are giving a fitting name to Largs Bay. Mr Claude Choules was a navy man through & through & what a fitting tribute to have her named HMAS CHOULES, I'm sure his family members will be proud.

LouisB
23rd August 2011, 13:19
Just spotted this, at least it makes a change from going to South America
http://www.defencemanagement.com/news_story.asp?id=15989

Wonder what the chances are of her coming back home once the new RAN Canberra class are in service....slim to none?

Craig

Understand that due to design features for operating in more temperate zones Largs Bay is suffering with machinary overheat problems. Seems that when run at full power for any length of time the temperatures of the machinary spaces and machinary itself cannot be dissipated fast enough . http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/topic/17425/Largs-Bay-Lemon-Scented It appears that increasing ventilation capacity is not the answer.

Dependent on what the terms of sale were the UK Government may have to cough up for major alterations to the vessel. Knowing the diverse uses and areas that the MOD (N) would have tasked the ship I would have thought that temperatures logged on full power makers trials would have discounted service in tropical climes. Or at least rung a bell in somebodies head.

Ah well, what a shame, never mind.

LouisB

James_C
23rd August 2011, 18:39
The Bays seems to operate up the Gulf without issue, so perhaps they have been modified? (don't think Largs has been up there)

LouisB
23rd August 2011, 20:19
The Bays seems to operate up the Gulf without issue, so perhaps they have been modified? (don't think Largs has been up there)

Hi Jim,

I imagine that in tropical waters the vessels can perform admirably - maybe not at full power for extended periods. There was some work carried out on repositioning the ME exhaust trunking for some reason,although whether it was done to all the vessels of this class and for what reason I don't know. Very little of that mod' seems to have been disseminated. Perhaps more knowledgable members could comment?

Reading through the technical aspects commented upon by the engineering branch of the R.A.N and others likely to have professional knowledge of ship design the general feeling was that the Australians had obtained the vessel for an absolute bargain price. Procurement had allowed for upgrading of air conditioning and ]other cooling problems[/U] liable to manifest themselves in tropical climes. They would appear to have been aware of certain requirements prior to re-commissioning and allowed for this in the overall costing. The R.A.N had to be careful expenditure wise - this ship being the equivelant to the entire amphibious landing capability of their fleet! (most of which was/is under extended repair)

The only thing I know for certain was that the Bay class were regarded as a"highly flexible and extremely useful assets to the Fleet".

LouisB

boulton
29th October 2011, 23:52
This is a picture of Mounts Bay, Largs Bay sister. To give some idea of the scale of these ships. She's entering Portsmouth.
I like the Nullabor, plan to drive it next year. :o)

Dickyboy’s photo gives a good indication of the size of the Bay Class in comparison to (apparently) a couple of quay-side “watering-holes”?!

However, I was more surprised by the size of the Bay Class, in comparison to the “Sir” class (Round Table class) LSLs that they replaced . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_Table_class_landing_ship_logistics_ship
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFA_Largs_Bay_%28L3006%29

BUGGINS
31st October 2011, 19:19
the exhausts in the Bays were led out through a water based cooling system to points below the flight deck right aft. The RN Bays are being refitted to vent the exhaust in new "funnels" midships obviating the cooling system. Largs Bay / Choules apparently has not had this modification.

LouisB
31st October 2011, 19:55
Cheers for that Buggins.

LouisB