HMAS Adelaide sunk

rickles23
13th April 2011, 09:04
Hi
HMAS Adelaide was scheduled to be sunk at 10.30am today but the operation was held up by a large pod of dolphins next to the ship at Avoca Beach on the central coast.

A bid by the No Ship Action Group to halt the sinking because of environmental concerns failed yesterday. The group filed a summons at the Land and Environment Court.

The ship was scuttled by allowing a controlled flow of water to inundate the vessel. There are 16 so-called ''cutting charges'' in the hull below the water line, which are detonated, forming liquid copper to cut through the steel hull and allow water to flood into the ship.

There are also 19 rectangular pre-cut openings on each side of the ship above the water line and other openings through the decks and bulkheads to allow water to flow right through the vessel. The placement of the holes on the ship ensure it will sit upright and stable underwater.
Regards

Pat Thompson
13th April 2011, 09:52
Greetings,

There is some video of the event HERE (http://www.smh.com.au/environment/hmas-adelaide-goes-under-after-dolphin-display-delays-scuttling-20110413-1dcwz.html)

rickles23
13th April 2011, 10:41
Hi,
Just watched the News out here and the latest video shows that she is upright on the sea bed.
Should make a good dive when she is declared open.
Regards

trotterdotpom
13th April 2011, 13:17
The action group have concerns about the lead based paint on the ship, but, as far as I know, there has been no problem with HMAS Brisbane which was scuttled off Mooloolaba, Queensland, a few years back.

The group employed an Aborginal whale caller to bring in some whales as it is illegal to use explosives in the area if whales are present. It's a little bit early for the northerly migration of the humpbacks (I know that and I haven't been here 40,000 years), so all he got was a few dolphins. They played around for a bit then cleared off and down went Adelaide.

John T.

Stevo
13th April 2011, 16:07
They would have been better off calling for Rolf Harris, good old sing along and a nice painting, everyone goes away happy.

NickNZ
17th April 2011, 11:36
I think the Maori and Abo's must be related. Though the Moari can sort any problem. Provided the price is right. They managed to get rid of a Taniwha, which would have cost the Givernement for humdreds of thousands, to re-route a highway, for just a few thousand, and a couple of cases of beer.
But everyone is happy. So why spoil a good ending?