Loch Offshore

Alex Salmond
16th April 2011, 03:42
Hi,
Are there any guys out there who worked for this company in the 80s I was with them for about 4 years on various supply boats
Loch Shuna
Loch Rannoch etc they were taken over by Farstad about 89 or so ,they were a great little company to work for ,started out with one ship and ended up with five before being taken over .The Loch Shuna was working by the Piper Alpha and had just pulled off when it went up,I was on leave at the time but joined a few days later and got the stories from the guys who were in the Zodiac pulling guys out of the water who had jumped off the side of the rig ,think one died but one survived we were up there for a while when Red Adair and his crew were fighting the fires,Sad times.
It was always interesting working up in the North Sea,another time we had six SBS guys join us on the quiet who were going up to do exercises on how to combat terrorism if a rig was taken over,the weather was so bad most of them couldnt get out of their bunks for days God knows how they were going to fight terrorists,
Cheers,Alex.

Blackal
16th April 2011, 05:25
I'd completely forgotten about Loch Offshore. Of course Loch Grimshader (of all the choices of lochs...........) was one of their vessels.

Ray Shand will have sailed on them for sure.

Al

Alex Salmond
16th April 2011, 06:23
I'd completely forgotten about Loch Offshore. Of course Loch Grimshader (of all the choices of lochs...........) was one of their vessels.

Ray Shand will have sailed on them for sure.

Al

Hi Mate,
Yes your right Grimshader wasnt a name I would have chosen for a ship ,I spent a bit of time on that one too I have no idea how they came to choose that name out of all the Lochs in Scotland.Their offices were in King Street in Furryboot toon (Aberdeen) and the main man was a guy called Jim Donnelly,nice guy no airs and graces at all,they were a small enough company that the personal touch was still there,for example they had all the guys wifes birthdays and used to send a bunch of flowers to them on their birthdays,how good is that it was a sad day when they were taken over ,
Alex

michaelF
16th April 2011, 07:14
Hi Alex ,
sailed on most of Loch Offshores vessels , was with them 5 years 88 to 92.

mike

Burned Toast
16th April 2011, 09:53
Jim Donnelly was area manager for Tidewater North Sea and West Africa Douala Cameroon. Nice man like you said would talk to everyone with no airs and graces.

Ray

Nick Balls
18th April 2011, 17:35
Anyone remember Tom Paterson 2/E with Loch ? Brilliant Bloke to sail with

michaelF
18th April 2011, 18:08
Remember him well Nick, he was always drinking my beer on the Grimshader.
Seem to think i sailed with him with Star also.

mike

Donnie More
18th April 2011, 19:30
aye Alex , i remember when you left and went to NZ , I was with Loch in '88 , for a couple trips and still with the crowd yet , your name has cropped up a few times over the years , still a couple of the originals left , most now retired or moved on .

Alex Salmond
19th April 2011, 01:20

I,m sure I remember Tom ,did he come from Blackhall in Edinburgh and have a Beard?if its the same guy then yes he was a great guy ,I was Motorman on the Loch Shuna and he was 2nd eng.just let me do my job we got on well,Chief was a nice guy too Dundonian owned a B & B in Perth but memory fails me when it comes to his name,
Alex.

john fraser
19th April 2011, 07:22

Sailed with Tom in Ben Line before he joined the Loch boats. He was a super bloke then to sail with

Nick Balls
19th April 2011, 09:38
Good to know you all remember Tom............... I sailed with him when he was working for Star.......... Once watched him get into an 'argument' with the Super , who was exasperated over a very urgent job, Tom had been Shanghaied from a different ship and brought in to fix something fast. Tom was not happy about having to do someone else's work and put the super in his place in double quick time!!! A really great chap to work with!

Donnie More
19th April 2011, 10:25
Tom retired aged 62 ,more than ten years ago , he did a part time job servicing police motor bikes in edinburgh and is still a biker , getting the job ready to sail ,would call up the bridge and say ," you can go now captain , I'm ready ".

michaelF
19th April 2011, 20:17
Remember him well Nick, he was always drinking my beer on the Grimshader.
Seem to think i sailed with him with Star also.

mike

And here is the proof taken in my cabin. on the left C/E whos name escapes me ,perhaps somebody can help , tommy and wife.

mike

Alex Salmond
20th April 2011, 01:49
And here is the proof taken in my cabin. on the left C/E whos name escapes me ,perhaps somebody can help , tommy and wife.

mike

Hi (Applause)Mike,
Well done on posting Tommys photo ,yup thats the man i remember beard and all,probably just made some dry comment a very sardonic sense of humour that man,if anyone does happen to talk to him please give him my best regards from Aotearoa.
Mike I see your were also with a couple of other companies I sailed with
Bibby Line =Wiltshire
Star Offshore =Star Spica for about 18months before the ex skipper(Ian Cardno?) came and poached a few of his ex guys off the Spica,very naughty and a move that didnt endear him to Star,
Slainte Mate,Alex.

michaelF
20th April 2011, 08:09
Hi (Applause)Mike,
Well done on posting Tommys photo ,yup thats the man i remember beard and all,probably just made some dry comment a very sardonic sense of humour that man,if anyone does happen to talk to him please give him my best regards from Aotearoa.
Mike I see your were also with a couple of other companies I sailed with
Bibby Line =Wiltshire
Star Offshore =Star Spica for about 18months before the ex skipper(Ian Cardno?) came and poached a few of his ex guys off the Spica,very naughty and a move that didnt endear him to Star,
Slainte Mate,Alex.

Hi Alex,
yes we have both sailed with some decent companies .With regards to Star i was on the sirius as mate from dec 85 to dec 86 on the Amoco charter, then left or rather took voluntry redundancy in those strange times to go skipper with other companies. Ian also poached me a year latter to go with Loch , for which i owe him , he too was a gentleman .
Here's some names to conjour with , Vic Gibbson and Jack Parkinson both on the Sirius .

mike

Nick Balls
21st April 2011, 09:55
Thanks for the Pic ....Mike thats great! and Donnie thanks for letting us all know that Tom is still around.......I had forgotten he was a Biker ..... A Brilliant Bloke!

Alex Salmond
22nd April 2011, 04:54
Hi guys,
Check out the gallery for a photo of the Loch Shuna in Peterhead ,had to put under special purpose vessels ,shame about the scruffy dude in front but never mind and it was a sunny day too!! who said if you go to PD dont take your beachball.This photo prompted a memory,when you tied up here you had to walk up the hill past the prison and around the bay if you were going to town,walking past the prison was quite an experience as all the real desperados were in there ,I was walking past one time and this clown started yelling at me out his cell window cos they were pretty close to the path "Hey you Radgeworks,poofter gonny meet your boyfriend?"and other not very nice things so I looked up and yelled back" Naw mate im away up the pub for a few pints and meet my bird and then back for a shag what are you up to?" you can imagine the abuse after that,Priceless,
Cheers,Alex.

Blackal
22nd April 2011, 05:02
I remember the top-floor window of the prison too.

A hand used to hold a piece of card with 'HELP' on it :)

When we indicated that we were headed for the pub - the hand became a fist and shook at us............. shortly followed by a wave............... ;)

(I always thought that it was no way for the Governor to behave.......... :))

Al

Nick Balls
22nd April 2011, 11:04
Do you recall the riot when the inmates ended up on the roof?
There was also the Prison officers club...... (now closed)( Even Asco had its own bar at one time!!! (South side) I always found the Bloo Toon to be one of the friendliest places and while so famous for its bleak outlook always made me welcome!

highland hun
5th April 2013, 08:54
Great company great ships and great crews had fantastic time there,first one for me was Loch Carron,Loch Grimshader,Loch Rannoch,was with them and during Farstad takeover for about 6 years...good times indeed