Antilochus

DURANGO
16th April 2011, 08:18
I was looking through the site a few days back and came across a photo which I can no longer find , it was of George the bosun of Antilochus my question is was he the bosun in her for some time I was a.b. in her in 1964 and I am sure he was bosun at that time as soon as I saw the photo it rang a bell I am sure he was a good old boy best wishes Dave .

Macphail
16th April 2011, 10:18
I was looking through the site a few days back and came across a photo which I can no longer find , it was of George the bosun of Antilochus my question is was he the bosun in her for some time I was a.b. in her in 1964 and I am sure he was bosun at that time as soon as I saw the photo it rang a bell I am sure he was a good old boy best wishes Dave .

Hello Dave,
I was 4th Engineer on the Antilochus, 1962-64.
George was the bosun, a fine man and well respected.
He drove a bus whilst on leave.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/147511/title/antilochus/cat/500

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/147517/title/antilochus/cat/500

All the best,
John.

John Farrell
16th April 2011, 10:47
Drive a bus on leave. These Bosuns were suppsed to be on top dollar! Was it for the seamens missions or something as that would be charitable.

DURANGO
16th April 2011, 16:28
Hello Dave,
I was 4th Engineer on the Antilochus, 1962-64.
George was the bosun, a fine man and well respected.
He drove a bus whilst on leave.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/147511/title/antilochus/cat/500

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/147517/title/antilochus/cat/500

All the best,
John. Thanks for that John I have got him now ,I always thought it was the bosun of the Pyrrhus who drove the bus when he was on leave and somewhere on S/N I have posted that but as you say it was George and as you rightly say he was a fine man the other photo that you have posted I remember all of them lads the lad in the middle was welsh he was my cabin mate we got on well as I remember again another name lost over the years maybe someone on here will remember him and the others, the two lads at either end of the group I am sure where deck boys I doubt that would have been the voyage I was in her as the young lad on the right is sporting a beard which I dont recall him having at the time thanks again and if anyone has any imformation as to George or any of the other,s I would love to know best wishes Dave .

Pat Kennedy
16th April 2011, 20:11
I believe the bosun who drove a bus while on leave was 'The Ghoul' whose real name, if I ever knew it, I have forgotten. He always wore black leather gloves, and would prowl the decks during the night. A strange man, he once had a small part in a film which featured a Blue Funnel ship, I think it was the Bellerophon, whose name was shortened to 'Belle' for the filming. The Ghoul played the gangwayman in one short sequence.
Regarding the photo of the bosun on the Antilochus, wasnt his name George Birch?

Macphail
16th April 2011, 23:06
Dave ,

Avonmouth, Pay off Antilochus.. 3rd August 1964.
This was a serious pay off piss up.
The bus had arrived from north Wales, George the bosun‘s brother driving.
All hands where from that area, excepting, Andy Anderson, Birkenhead and Paddy Crumlin, Liverpool.
What a party.
The suitcases and the beer cases where put on the jetty to be loaded into the bus.
Edgar, of short stature, was really pissed.
He threw his case over on the wrong side, into the dock.
Deep sea voyage, all his presents gone into the dock.

Maybe you know the names.

All the best,

John

jmcg
23rd April 2011, 20:43
Pat

George Birch was never Bosun on Antilochus. He was "blocker"on Autolycus from 1966 to at least 69. Fred Ball was Lampie. Both fine seamen and damn good man managers too.

Tony Casson was blocker on Antilochus same era. Tony was of a different disposition to George Birch - much like a giant version of Joe Bates.

The picture displayed in the link provided by Macphail is NOT that of George Birch.

The last I heard of George (about 15 years ago) was that he had to have his other leg amputated due to an illness. Very,very sad indeed.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

Ken Green
23rd April 2011, 22:22
Please, What is a "Blocker? Spent many years in Blue Flue but have never heard of it!
Best regards,
Ken

Trader
24th April 2011, 00:44
Blocker = Bosun Ken, I don't know the origin but was used in all the companies that I sailed in including Blue Flue. You live and learn LOL.

Alec.

Pat Kennedy
24th April 2011, 08:54
Blocker = Bosun Ken, I don't know the origin but was used in all the companies that I sailed in including Blue Flue. You live and learn LOL.

Alec.
Funny thing Alec is that I first heard the word Blocker, applied to foremen in Cammell Laird's and was told that the term had to do with the fact that they all wore black bowler hats. I never heard it used at sea. 'Boatswine' was a common term for the bosun.
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

jmcg
24th April 2011, 10:32
Pat

The term "blocker"was much used in my day - as much in the China as elsewhere. On reflection it was probably used more in shoreside speak than on board.

I have not heard the term used since my day and it was only on reflection on my many trips with George Birch that it suddenly appeared in the grey matter.

Was there not a Bosun in the China that announced his arrival for voyage resplendent in a dinner suit and tails?

"North East" Roberts was a bit of a Dandy but never quite made it to those heights . In any event he usually paid off wearing charity gear.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

John Farrell
24th April 2011, 10:40
Pat

Was there not a Bosun in the China that announced his arrival for voyage resplendent in a dinner suit and tails?

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

Are you serious?

jmcg
24th April 2011, 11:02
Very serious Bill.

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

Pat Kennedy
24th April 2011, 18:59
Pat

The term "blocker"was much used in my day - as much in the China as elsewhere. On reflection it was probably used more in shoreside speak than on board.

I have not heard the term used since my day and it was only on reflection on my many trips with George Birch that it suddenly appeared in the grey matter.

"North East" Roberts was a bit of a Dandy but never quite made it to those heights . In any event he usually paid off wearing charity gear.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)
John,
I never heard of the bosun in full regalia, he must have been a mason.
The worst dressed bosuns were, in my opinion, Jack Cleary, who always appeared in a pair of blue cotton trousers and a similar jacket, both a couple of sizes too small, and a black beret which was also two sizes too small and sat on top of his head like a pimple.
Nobody laughed! and I hasten to add that his dress sense did not reflect on his seamanship.
The other was Ned Phillips, a coasting bosun by the time I met him, who must have been around seventy, and always wore a long black overcoat and disreputable muffler, with an old tweed flat cap and hobnailed boots. Old Ned was a great bloke, but looked like a Welsh hill farmer, which he probably was when home on leave.
Stan Murray was a snappy dresser and we called him the Hollywood lampy, and no doubt he continued in that vein when he made bosun.
Trilbys were the order of the day for bosuns in the China when joining, comlete with a tightly belted navy blue gaberdine mackintosh.

Best regards,
Pat(Thumb)

richardwakeley
25th April 2011, 18:10
The movie with Bellerophon ("Belle") was "The Sailor Who Fell from Grace from the Sea", based on a book by Yukio Mishima. Some really good shots of the ship, around Dartmouth I think. Even engine room shown. I believe it starred Kris Kristoffersen and a well known English actress whose name escapes me.

jmcg
25th April 2011, 18:27
Further to the post on the Bosun in dinner suit and tails, I was talking to chap on site to-day (an ex China electrician - now a commissioning engineer ) who confirmed that this was so. He elaborated, claiming that he arrived at the gangway to great fanfare in a limo.

It made my day today. Wandered around an almost silent site with a smile of nostalgia.

Just sorry I cannot put a name to the gentleman and that I never had the pleasure of sailing with him.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

Allan James
25th April 2011, 21:04
[QUOTE=richardwakeley;507906]The movie with Bellerophon ("Belle") was "The Sailor Who Fell from Grace from the Sea", based on a book by Yukio Mishima. Some really good shots of the ship, around Dartmouth I think. Even engine room shown. I believe it starred Kris Kristoffersen and a well known English actress whose name escapes me.[/QUOTE

I think the Enblish Actress was Sarah Miles

Regards

Al

DURANGO
26th April 2011, 13:10
Pat

George Birch was never Bosun on Antilochus. He was "blocker"on Autolycus from 1966 to at least 69. Fred Ball was Lampie. Both fine seamen and damn good man managers too.

Tony Casson was blocker on Antilochus same era. Tony was of a different disposition to George Birch - much like a giant version of Joe Bates.

The picture displayed in the link provided by Macphail is NOT that of George Birch.

The last I heard of George (about 15 years ago) was that he had to have his other leg amputated due to an illness. Very,very sad indeed.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam) Who was the bosun in the link because I remember him from one of the bluys that I sailed in I was in Agapenor 1962,Perseus1962 , Antilochus 1964, Pyrrhus 1966, and it was not Agapenor or Pyhrrus that I do know best wishes to all hands Dave .

jmcg
26th April 2011, 19:14
Durango

Must have been Perseus or Antilochus pre 1966 era.

George Birch was a rotund chap who always had a slight starboard face list. He always wore a revie like the one in your link.

Tony Casson, on the contrary, was a tall well built chap who was more daring with his head gear- preferring to sport a handkerchief knotted in each corner.

Sailed with both of these fine men.

I believe Tony died a few years ago.

The Blue Funnel Association is still going - alas I never get round to joining the old boys.

BW
J(Gleam)(Gleam)

fred ball
1st May 2011, 12:54
good to hear mention of me dad there. he always had the most amazing stories of his travels.

the sailors daughter.