Beaverbank

Fairfield
17th May 2004, 21:24
Taken at Grangemouth in 1976.This was one of a long series built on Tyne and Wearside.

tanker
3rd June 2004, 14:15
Taken at Grangemouth in 1976.This was one of a long series built on Tyne and Wearside.

Hi Fairfield
very good example of this series of nine sisters british build from 1972.
FLEETBANK-BEAVERBANK-BIRCHBANK-CEDARBANK-RIVERBANK-STREAMBANK-
CLOVERBANK-FIRBANK-NESSBANK and LAGANBANK.
more of these now are broken up
hello
GP

John Rogers
21st November 2004, 00:43
Looking at the Banks boats brought back good memories of my time on the old Moraybank sailing around the Fiji islands, I can smell the aroma of the islands now to include the Copra.

tom dornan
5th March 2005, 10:20
gm this is Tommy dornan (ex Radio Officer) NessBank in 1969 UK-N.Zeland & Pacifice Islands run.

73's

Doug H
5th March 2005, 10:33
Greetings Tom! There are quite a few of us ex R/Os who are regulars on this site. Hope to see more of your input over the weeks/months. Welcome!

Donald McGhee
5th April 2005, 07:00
Hi,

I did a few trips around the islands (Teviotbank & Inverbank) late 1960's

Stephen Swinhoe
28th September 2005, 23:27
Beaverbank,ship No904,built Deptford Shipyard(Laings),Sunderland,launched9.4.74.

Cavill
1st April 2006, 13:39
This is bringing back some memories, I sailed on three of this classBeaver in 1978 Lagen in 1979 and Cedar in 1981

johnb42
8th June 2009, 23:02
Ahhh Jim lad, you should've seen the old Beaverbank, the one that I sailed in. Now there was a ship.
Joking apart the previous Beaverbank really was a beautiful little ship.

dick burrow
10th June 2009, 07:47
Ahhh Jim lad, you should've seen the old Beaverbank, the one that I sailed in. Now there was a ship.
Joking apart the previous Beaverbank really was a beautiful little ship.totally agree, i was last third mate on the old beaverbank, she was sold on way home to liverpool stayed on board for a couple of nights then we just walked off and left her , no handover or anything, really strange !(Thumb)

johnb42
10th June 2009, 08:54
[QUOTE=dick burrow;330595]totally agree, i was last third mate on the old beaverbank, she was sold on way home to liverpool stayed on board for a couple of nights then we just walked off and left her , no handover or anything, really strange !(Thumb)[/QUOTE

The spectre of you all just walking off leaves me somehow quite sad. I have only one picture of the Beaverbank taken in '68, from shoreside in Gizo. I dug it out to show someone a couple of years ago and never put it away again. It just sits beside my computer.
She was probably my favourite of all time. I met my wife in Cairns on that particular trip and we celebrated our 40th in January of this year.
I remember also on that particular voyage, we did not go straight for copra after finishing in Aussie, but threw in a one-off trip from Adelaide to Japan with salt and then did the Islands for the homeward cargo.

Jim Harris
10th June 2009, 09:29
Joking apart the previous Beaverbank really was a beautiful little ship.

Sailed on the Nessbank which was her sister, and I know what
you mean.

The new Beaverbank looks pretty smart too.

And it's started me off yet again.... why oh why did I leave
when I did.... I should have waited until I got thrown out.:sweat:

Regards,

Jim.

Norman Best
17th June 2009, 09:54
Sailed on Beaverbank 63-64. Great little ship, Allan Smith C/Eng, one of the
finest men I ever met, had his wife Jean with him a lovely lady lives in Perth.
Anyone know them please let me know, thanks.
All best,
Norman Best.

Hugh Wilson
24th June 2009, 04:49
I was R/O on the 'old' Beaverbank March to November 1969. Enjoyed everyminute of it. Harry Allen was Captain.

boatlarnie
9th July 2009, 18:58
I was Apprentice on the Beaverbank (one of the copra boats) in 1959/60; unusual trip in that we joined her in drydock at Amsterdam for repairs to damage sustained after she went aground at Fanning Island. Then loaded bagged nitrates at Bremerhaven for Whampoa, just upriver from HongKong. Going up river we grounded and had to lighten ship to refloat. From Whampoa we went to HK, surveyed the damage and deep tanks then went round the Islands loading the usual copra and coconut oil. Home via Halifax NS where we discharged half of the coconut oil.
Other Apprentices were Lefty Wright and PJ Langdon, Master was Capt McFarlane and the Mate C.Davis.

pcranage
24th March 2015, 00:30
I was "first tripper" in 1967, went aground in Gizo, just before Christmas. Great ship with some fond memories.
Capt. DJR Davies, Mate, Fred Rayner, 2nd Mate Ron Turner, 3rd Mate Peter Harris. Senior Appy Mike Stevens. Sparky, Jimmy Keenan.

Erimus
24th March 2015, 07:51
Funnily enough just recently painted picture of this vessel....for good friend Roy Willis,from Hull, who sailed on her (engine dept) and Forresbank..

Geoff

dick burrow
24th March 2015, 10:38
I sailed on her last voyage, brought her back to Liverpool , dumping all log books etc over the wall on the way, stayed on board for about 4 days in Liverpool then we just walked off and left her, no handover or anything , really strange feeling. a good old wooden decker , sold to greeks and renamed "eratania"

Waighty
25th March 2015, 15:16
Somewhere around No3 Berth Grangemouth. I was assistant harbour master there during late 1990s and early 2000s and would like to have seen a Bank Boat there. I only got there on one ship, the Bennevis as a cadet in 1968!

IBlenkinsopp
25th March 2015, 21:03
At Grangemouth March 1976, Loading for Abadan, Master W. Langworthy. Mate C.J. Ball
Also loaded M'boro and Thames. Long period anchored @ Shat al arab (sp?).
Jardine Smith will have al the info
Eddie B

Alistair Macnab
27th March 2015, 16:06
The "Beaverbank: was the first of a class of six "Copa Boats" built in Belfast at Harland and Wolff's. She and her two sisters "Nessbank" and "Fleetbank" were delivered in 1953 and could be distinguished from the subsequent three by having bridge cabs and straighter bows that the latter ships which dispensed with cabs and had a better rake to their bows. The final three were "Cedarbank" (ex-"Ribblebank"), "Foylebank" and "Laganbank" which came out in 1955.

The fine little ships have been much admired especially for the full length Oregon pine decks but the cargo spaces, including the six deeptanks, two reefer chambers, unique poop hatch and tweendeck,and the orlop deck forward of the machinery space were very handy for the trade. They were also a steady 14 knots with diesel oil fuel.

I sailed on the maiden voyages of "Fleetbank" and "Laganbank" as Apprentice and was again aboard these great Bank Boats on the "Lagan" as Chief Officer and the "Fleet" as Master.

It is great to read their popularity in retrospect which I am sure has a great deal to do wih their SoPac run but especially to the harmonious effect they all had with their officers. As it happens, however, during my first voyages, the Pacific Islands were far from the itinerary as "Fleet"s first voyage from Belfast was light ship to Point Fortin, Trinidad to load drummed pitch for India, and "Lagan"s was light ship to Germany to load a full cargo of fertilizer also for India. These unusual cargoes for "Copra Boats" was to give them an early, stressing, deadwight cargo to ensure that they were strurdily built as was the Bank Line policy at the time. Also, they were required for the Calcutta-based liner services to Africa and South America as the rest of the fleet was getting older at the time and it was good to show-off the 'new' Bank Line. In Colombo on one occasion, we were offered a back-handed compliment from Apprentices of another 'pukka' line with the reluctant observation: "Bit of a change for Bank Line isn't it?" Well, it was only the start of a fabulous building programme that lasted for 20 years and gave good employment to British shipbuilders.

Oh! Happy Memories!
Alistair

Mike Agate
28th March 2015, 07:08
I was on the Foyle 8/2/64 Beaver 27/8/64 Lagan 1/4/66 ass As AN appy Fleet as r/3rd mate T

Alan Rawlinson
2nd April 2015, 08:10
Also sailed on the 1953 Beaverbank - lovely profile.....

A couple of memories - John Hawkes ( son of the then chartering director) had her as his favourite ship, and kept a model of her in his London office when he rose to the dizzy heights of Chairman of a marine insurance group.

The Beaverbank grounded in the line islands early 50's and was floated off with the help of the US navy from Hawaii - but not before she had pumped out tons of coconut oil. There was an aerial photo taken showing her from above surrounded by a huge lake of white oil. It was a stunning and dramatic photo.

Clifford Cocker
2nd April 2015, 12:22
I was Chief on the Fleetbank when she was sold to Lebanese owners and renamed "Florida". Not a very happy voyage we spent over 2 months drifting up and down the Gulf of Aqaba awaiting discharge during the Iran-Iraq war. Main problem was complete and utter boredom as the ship had been sold "as is" and no spares were to be used for any maintenance. Water rationing was in force as the water barge had sunk!
My younger daughter was getting married and had booked the date on the basis on a 6 month voyage much worrying and head scratching as to whether I would get home, fortunately I did and our marriage has lasted out (diamond wedding anniversary 7th May 2015)
Cliff Cocker

Norman Best
4th April 2015, 16:07
Does any one remember Tony Kitchingham 2nd mate Beaverbank 63-64 copra run good guy to sail with. Shared a few beers with him after 12/4 watch. I was first trip junior engineer, be good to know if he is still around. Norman Best.

Waighty
6th April 2015, 15:51
I was Chief on the Fleetbank when she was sold to Lebanese owners and renamed "Florida". Not a very happy voyage we spent over 2 months drifting up and down the Gulf of Aqaba awaiting discharge during the Iran-Iraq war. Main problem was complete and utter boredom as the ship had been sold "as is" and no spares were to be used for any maintenance. Water rationing was in force as the water barge had sunk!
My younger daughter was getting married and had booked the date on the basis on a 6 month voyage much worrying and head scratching as to whether I would get home, fortunately I did and our marriage has lasted out (diamond wedding anniversary 7th May 2015)
Cliff Cocker

Those same Lebanese owners bought Riverbank in March 1983 and renamed it "Indiana". The new owners survey was done in Durban while we were northbound on the Oriental Africa Service. We discharged most of the cargo in HK and then straight to Funabashi (Chiba Port in Tokyo Bay) to discharge granite blocks, then to Yokohama for dry dock and hand over.

I recall asking the surveyor in Durban if it was just us that was getting sold and he said he wasn't supposed to say but yes, actually most of the class was to be sold! (Cloud)