Beaverbank

Fairfield
17th May 2004, 22:24
Taken at Grangemouth in 1976.This was one of a long series built on Tyne and Wearside.

tanker
3rd June 2004, 15:15
Taken at Grangemouth in 1976.This was one of a long series built on Tyne and Wearside.

Hi Fairfield
very good example of this series of nine sisters british build from 1972.
FLEETBANK-BEAVERBANK-BIRCHBANK-CEDARBANK-RIVERBANK-STREAMBANK-
CLOVERBANK-FIRBANK-NESSBANK and LAGANBANK.
more of these now are broken up
hello
GP

John Rogers
21st November 2004, 01:43
Looking at the Banks boats brought back good memories of my time on the old Moraybank sailing around the Fiji islands, I can smell the aroma of the islands now to include the Copra.

tom dornan
5th March 2005, 11:20
gm this is Tommy dornan (ex Radio Officer) NessBank in 1969 UK-N.Zeland & Pacifice Islands run.

73's

Doug H
5th March 2005, 11:33
Greetings Tom! There are quite a few of us ex R/Os who are regulars on this site. Hope to see more of your input over the weeks/months. Welcome!

Donald McGhee
5th April 2005, 08:00
Hi,

I did a few trips around the islands (Teviotbank & Inverbank) late 1960's

Stephen Swinhoe
29th September 2005, 00:27
Beaverbank,ship No904,built Deptford Shipyard(Laings),Sunderland,launched9.4.74.

Cavill
1st April 2006, 14:39
This is bringing back some memories, I sailed on three of this classBeaver in 1978 Lagen in 1979 and Cedar in 1981

johnb42
9th June 2009, 00:02
Ahhh Jim lad, you should've seen the old Beaverbank, the one that I sailed in. Now there was a ship.
Joking apart the previous Beaverbank really was a beautiful little ship.

dick burrow
10th June 2009, 08:47
Ahhh Jim lad, you should've seen the old Beaverbank, the one that I sailed in. Now there was a ship.
Joking apart the previous Beaverbank really was a beautiful little ship.totally agree, i was last third mate on the old beaverbank, she was sold on way home to liverpool stayed on board for a couple of nights then we just walked off and left her , no handover or anything, really strange !(Thumb)

johnb42
10th June 2009, 09:54
[QUOTE=dick burrow;330595]totally agree, i was last third mate on the old beaverbank, she was sold on way home to liverpool stayed on board for a couple of nights then we just walked off and left her , no handover or anything, really strange !(Thumb)[/QUOTE

The spectre of you all just walking off leaves me somehow quite sad. I have only one picture of the Beaverbank taken in '68, from shoreside in Gizo. I dug it out to show someone a couple of years ago and never put it away again. It just sits beside my computer.
She was probably my favourite of all time. I met my wife in Cairns on that particular trip and we celebrated our 40th in January of this year.
I remember also on that particular voyage, we did not go straight for copra after finishing in Aussie, but threw in a one-off trip from Adelaide to Japan with salt and then did the Islands for the homeward cargo.

Jim Harris
10th June 2009, 10:29
Joking apart the previous Beaverbank really was a beautiful little ship.

Sailed on the Nessbank which was her sister, and I know what
you mean.

The new Beaverbank looks pretty smart too.

And it's started me off yet again.... why oh why did I leave
when I did.... I should have waited until I got thrown out.:sweat:

Regards,

Jim.

Norman Best
17th June 2009, 10:54
Sailed on Beaverbank 63-64. Great little ship, Allan Smith C/Eng, one of the
finest men I ever met, had his wife Jean with him a lovely lady lives in Perth.
Anyone know them please let me know, thanks.
All best,
Norman Best.

Hugh Wilson
24th June 2009, 05:49
I was R/O on the 'old' Beaverbank March to November 1969. Enjoyed everyminute of it. Harry Allen was Captain.

boatlarnie
9th July 2009, 19:58
I was Apprentice on the Beaverbank (one of the copra boats) in 1959/60; unusual trip in that we joined her in drydock at Amsterdam for repairs to damage sustained after she went aground at Fanning Island. Then loaded bagged nitrates at Bremerhaven for Whampoa, just upriver from HongKong. Going up river we grounded and had to lighten ship to refloat. From Whampoa we went to HK, surveyed the damage and deep tanks then went round the Islands loading the usual copra and coconut oil. Home via Halifax NS where we discharged half of the coconut oil.
Other Apprentices were Lefty Wright and PJ Langdon, Master was Capt McFarlane and the Mate C.Davis.