Captain Patrick St Quentin Beadon

Chris Isaac
28th April 2011, 18:42
Sad to say but I have heard that Capt Patrick Beadon passed away recently.
He was Master of Windsor Castle on her last mail voyage.
A very popular master with all who sailed with him.

I did not sail with him but those of you who did may wish to add your recollections.

I will relay them to the Union Castle re-union being held in the middle of May.

Neil Purdon
30th April 2011, 00:09
Attached is a photo from the Clansman of PStQ on the Pendennis Castle at St Helena (!) in late 1973

billyboy
30th April 2011, 00:46
Condolences to his family at this sad time. RIP.

Chris Isaac
1st May 2011, 12:51
Attached is a photo from the Clansman of PStQ on the Pendennis Castle at St Helena (!) in late 1973

This would have been while Good Hope Castle was out of service after the fire.
Pendennis Castle was the only mailship with sufficient speed to call at the islands on the way to the Cape and still maintain the schedule.

lazyjohn
1st May 2011, 12:59
A sad loss!

sparkie2182
1st May 2011, 13:16
My condolences.

R.I.P.

Fred Field
17th May 2013, 02:20
This would have been while Good Hope Castle was out of service after the fire.
Pendennis Castle was the only mailship with sufficient speed to call at the islands on the way to the Cape and still maintain the schedule.

Chris, are you sure she could maintain the schedule? I know she was the fastest of the 'steamers' but I thought she had 'late' arrival times, memory could be playing tricks.

woodend
17th May 2013, 08:33
Travelled as passenger on the PC in 1966 under the command of P.St.Q. in 1966. An excellent passenger ship Master. RIP and condolences to family and friends.

Chris Isaac
17th May 2013, 13:23
Chris, are you sure she could maintain the schedule? I know she was the fastest of the 'steamers' but I thought she had 'late' arrival times, memory could be playing tricks.

Pendennis could do 28 knots when fully opened up. She was far and away the fastest of the steamers.
The mini mails only need to do 23.5 to maintain the schedule including the islands.

Fred Field
17th May 2013, 13:49
Pendennis could do 28 knots when fully opened up. She was far and away the fastest of the steamers.
The mini mails only need to do 23.5 to maintain the schedule including the islands.

Thank you I had not realized she was that fast, if required.
Regards
Fred

cajef
26th July 2013, 12:24
Remember him well, he was a staff commander on passenger ships and did his first trip as a newly promoted Master on the Nicholas Bowater 1967/1968, I was R/O with him for the whole 10 months of that voyage after which he went straight back onto passenger vessels as Master.

A gentleman and excellent master to sail with, friendly but one who you always respected for his position.

RIP

kag52rc
26th July 2013, 21:43
Was my first captain on Good Hope Castle Dec69