Posting copyright photos

Tony Selman
30th April 2011, 08:40
I have recently acquired a comprehensive set of b/w Clan Line photographs via a second hand bookshop. Many of these are of vessels of a considerable vintage and a good few of them do not seem to have been posted on SN. I have read the copyright threads on this board but it is not completely clear to me what is or is not permitted by either the owner of the site, or indeed under internet copyright law.

I think these photos will be of interest to SN members and will scan them in over time and post them but obviously do not wish to infringe copyright law, or SN guidelines. About 40% of them have copyright stamps on the back and the remainder show no markings at all. As I understand it the latter photos can be posted with no problem. Can a moderator, or knowledgeable member, advise me whether I can post the copyright photos if I give due reference to the copyright owner. Most of the copyright is owned by J Clarkson of Preston who as we know publishes many maritime books and may well guard his copyright strictly. I could of course contact him but would appreciate some guidance in the meantime as I have no wish to create any problems for either myself or the site.

lazyjohn
30th April 2011, 12:37
I have recently acquired a comprehensive set of b/w Clan Line photographs via a second hand bookshop. Many of these are of vessels of a considerable vintage and a good few of them do not seem to have been posted on SN. I have read the copyright threads on this board but it is not completely clear to me what is or is not permitted by either the owner of the site, or indeed under internet copyright law.

I think these photos will be of interest to SN members and will scan them in over time and post them but obviously do not wish to infringe copyright law, or SN guidelines. About 40% of them have copyright stamps on the back and the remainder show no markings at all. As I understand it the latter photos can be posted with no problem. Can a moderator, or knowledgeable member, advise me whether I can post the copyright photos if I give due reference to the copyright owner. Most of the copyright is owned by J Clarkson of Preston who as we know publishes many maritime books and may well guard his copyright strictly. I could of course contact him but would appreciate some guidance in the meantime as I have no wish to create any problems for either myself or the site.

Take cover and hold tight, its all about to fall down round your ears!

Tony Selman
30th April 2011, 13:03
lazyjohn, can you be a bit more specific as to why please.

lazyjohn
30th April 2011, 13:29
lazyjohn, can you be a bit more specific as to why please.

Please refer to a thread labelled 'Copyright misuse (I think), and the sayings of 'Doug Shaw', amongst others.

See 'Members Notice Board'

As for me, I'm keeping well clear in case Doug starts on me again (and I was on his side).

Shipbuilder
30th April 2011, 13:47
Hi Tony,

I know John Clarkson. He produces the magnificient quarterly books SHIPS IN FOCUS RECORD. Here is a link to his website:

http://shipsinfocus.com/category.php?section=RECORD

The best thing for you to do is just ask him. His contact details are on the website.

Bob

Doug Shaw
30th April 2011, 23:44
Hi Tony

As Bob says, if you can contact the copyright holder and obtain permission, you should always do so. If you know the name of the photographer, but can't trace that person, provide attribution. If you don't know the name of the photographer and can't therefore determine if copyright is extant, simply use 'copyright unknown'.

I'm not certain if these are the rules of this forum - one of the mods will advise - but they are generally regarded as publishing industry standard.

Regards
Doug

Tony Selman
1st May 2011, 08:15
Thank you gentlemen for all your comments. I have received a Private Message from a moderator giving me some guidance plus I am going to contact John Clarkson.