Exmoor

firey
14th December 2005, 01:00
Anybody got any pictures she was my first and worst ship.
Sailed on her twice, second time I spent 4 months anchored off Bandar Shaapur (Iran ) loaded with bags of cement. They were soiled when they eventually discharged us. Payed off there having done six months releifs then went on to Singapore drydock to get the bottom scrapped. just my luck!
Its hard to remember what we did to pass the time away whilst at anchor. At the time I was a deck cadet and worked for Anchor line/Runcimans. I had my 18th birthday at anchor and I'm sure the Cheif Steward hid some beer so I could have a drink,stores were in short supply. We had to beg of passing ships to survive and get mail.
Still miss the sea.

Thanks

bobby388
16th December 2005, 02:32
hi firey taking a look at your dillema i also was anchored off bander shapur on my 1st ship durham trader for 3months 1month alongside i think it was about mar 1964 had to beg bevvy/fags of the BI boats who were in and out regular we had bulk grain cargo there were plenty ships anch off at that time i might even have seen you but youd only be a wee dot let us know mate cheers bobby(glasgow)

firey
16th December 2005, 11:46
Bobby,

I would be dot on the horizon as I wasn't there until 1977. It was hardly encouriging to know that after 13 years they still had cleared the backlog.

Our lifeboat stayed tied up alongside the ship all the time we were there as it was our means of getting mail and walport movies. Anybody remember them three films at a time.
When a new ship arrived at anchor it was a race to see who could get her movies first.
I remember we had a plan on the bridge of all the ships position with names and nationalities, if fact it was almost like a small village.

Couldn't even get a bronzy as the weather was poor, being the Winter months. There was only so many fish you could catch and if you weren't doing that you could count the dead sheep floating past from the sheep ships
which there were no shortage of. Sharks were better fed than us or at least had fresher meat.

Nice to hear from you Bobby.

Firey

bobby388
16th December 2005, 14:27
rhanks firey for info your lucky you had movies al we had was scrabble/sea snakes and dragon flies size of helicoptors cheers mate all the best (bobby)

firey
16th December 2005, 21:26
It's hardly a surprising that many at sea often compared life onboard to a spell in prison especially the long periods that Bobby and myself spent at anchor.
We even had less luxuries like television,radio, regular mail ,regulated heating and a visit once a month.

But then again the good times outweighed the bad ones. This website is also proof of the spirit found amongst people with an interest in the sea.

non descript
17th December 2005, 01:11
It's hardly a surprising that many at sea often compared life onboard to a spell in prison especially the long periods that Bobby and myself spent at anchor.
We even had less luxuries like television,radio, regular mail ,regulated heating and a visit once a month.

But then again the good times outweighed the bad ones. This website is also proof of the spirit found amongst people with an interest in the sea.

As an (ungrateful and worthless) apprentice I had on the bulkhead of my cabin, a quote from Samual Johnson:

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned."

It seemed clever at the time, but the folly of youth evaporated over time to bring instead a vision of decency, courage and comradeship..

John_F
17th December 2005, 01:36
Bobby,

Our lifeboat stayed tied up alongside the ship all the time we were there as it was our means of getting mail and walport movies. Anybody remember them three films at a time.
When a new ship arrived at anchor it was a race to see who could get her movies first.

Firey
Hi Firey,
I'm surprised Walport were still going in 1977. I well remember having to carry the boxes the length of the jetty at Mena in Kuwait - in mid summer, not a pleasant task - they were bloody heavy. It used to be the apprentices' job in BP to show the films to the officers & crew - 2 showings to each. On a 2 apprentice vessel, on a long trip, you knew the script of each film by heart as there were often repeat requests for a re-showing.
Kind regards,
John F.

firey
17th December 2005, 19:38
Yes John, as a cadet it was probably one of the worst tasks. Remember having to splice any breaks in the film. Having to rewind each spool and feed it through the projector. Then there was always a safety information trailer like don't put knives in sinks etc. That was as much H&S as we got and probably as much as we needed not like today.
Still no pictures of my beloved MV Exmoor come on guys.

tonypad
10th August 2006, 13:48
Good-day to all, my memeries of the Exmoor were as a first trip apprentice in 1961, joined at Cardiff with a load of coal for Karachi. Just out of pre-sea school (T.S.Mercury) it seemed like paradise,that is until I actually got on board and found the apprentice accomodation abaft the funnel.Anyway, it seems everyone has a story to tell and that trip was quite uneventful. My school friend Jeff Winter sailed a week before us, he was on his first trip on the Clan Keith, the ship and all crew were lost in an explosion in the Med. New to the net, hope I'm not stepping on any toes, etc. Regards to all Tonypad

gdynia
10th August 2006, 13:52
Hi Firey,
I'm surprised Walport were still going in 1977. I well remember having to carry the boxes the length of the jetty at Mena in Kuwait - in mid summer, not a pleasant task - they were bloody heavy. It used to be the apprentices' job in BP to show the films to the officers & crew - 2 showings to each. On a 2 apprentice vessel, on a long trip, you knew the script of each film by heart as there were often repeat requests for a re-showing.
Kind regards,
John F.

John
There still going today as this vessel gets 10 videos a month sent by the Danish Seamans Mission all from Walport

ruud
10th August 2006, 14:19
Still no pictures of my beloved MV Exmoor come on guys.Ahoy Firey,
Not sure if this is the Exmoor you're looking for, reverse side says Exmoor 1950.

John Tremelling
10th August 2006, 22:57
Tankermen used to say, Shat al Arab, as-h-le of the world. Bandar Shaapur, 15 miles up it.

Without consulting a chart I dont know if the distance is correct, but the sentiment is.

John Trem

Ron Stringer
10th August 2006, 23:33
It used to be the apprentices' job in BP to show the films to the officers & crew - 2 showings to each. On a 2 apprentice vessel, on a long trip, you knew the script of each film by heart as there were often repeat requests for a re-showing.

On one ship we had the same 3 films for many months, one of which was the James Bond movie "From Russia With Love". The complete film was only shown once or twice but the reel containing the fight between the two gypsy girls was shown at least twice a day!

Ron

Eric Wallace
11th August 2006, 04:11
Sorry you had such a bad experience,I spent 2 years on the Hazelmoor as 3rd/E the best 2 years of my MN time. (Applause)

John Tremelling
11th August 2006, 10:00
Walport Movies

Further to your comment Ron, I was once on a ship as an apprentice when we had the film Tom Jones. If you have seen this film you will recall that it was rather bawdy, especially for the 60's. As a consequence we had MANY showings, especially to the Laskar crew who probably understood very little of the dialogue.

It was on TV a while ago, and my wife was surprised that I showed little interest in watching it.

John Trem

Ken Worthington
11th August 2006, 17:03
I was on the Exmoor around 1973, After if i remember correctly she had been on a Charter to a spanish organisation for a couple of years. Joined her in Liverpool where she was Discharging Sugar then to Europe to load Flour for North Korea, Japan for steel, back to Europe. 7 months of you didn't know what was going to go wrong next but a great Crew and really Enjoyed the trip.
Sorry No photos.

firey
13th September 2006, 08:24
Thanks Rudd. I found the same photo in amongst my box of pictures it seems so long ago now I sailed on her twice . She was my first ship left home at 16 joined in hamburg introduced to the Reeperban and never looked back. Accommodation not brilliant shared a cabin with Alex MacKenzie from Perth I was on the top bunk and as Alex smoked Gaulois ( Not correct spelling) french untipped cigarettes it was rather unpleasant at times. However it would be great to do it all over again. Almost got sent home because I stayed ashore all night in Mogadishu doing whatever any young lad would do , old man found out and as I was only 16 he was responsible for me ,got carpeted ( his name was Liston). Never stopped me just had to be a bit more carefull.[=P]

ruud
13th September 2006, 09:24
Ahoy Firey,
Yep, we all had the same problems in the beginning as youngsters, but I think we would like to do it all over again, just the same way.
Btw the right spelling is Gauloises, and I still smoke them[untipped], and I know that most of the Brits, smoked Virginia Tabacco cigarettes, like Senior Services,Wings,Navy Cut,Graven A,Golden Fiction,Bond Street,Chief Whip to name a few, and they smelled otherwise then those French and didn't liked it.

bobby388
13th September 2006, 16:36
Ahoy Firey,
Yep, we all had the same problems in the beginning as youngsters, but I think we would like to do it all over again, just the same way.
Btw the right spelling is Gauloises, and I still smoke them[untipped], and I know that most of the Brits, smoked Virginia Tabacco cigarettes, like Senior Services,Wings,Navy Cut,Graven A,Golden Fiction,Bond Street,Chief Whip to name a few, and they smelled otherwise then those French and didn't liked it.

Ah Galloses as we called them fantastic smell from them i remember but by god Ruud strong isnt the word for them if you happened to cough while you had a draw of those things you could forget about talking for a wee while ill stick to my golden viginia thanks(duty free of course)bought of course from all the customs guys that go to the Bingo.LOL.

exmoor 77
19th February 2008, 07:24
no this isnt the ship i was on in 53 this exmoor was the conventional tramp