Amalric Strike NZ 1975

Alex Salmond
7th May 2011, 02:44
Do any of you old Shaw Savill guys remember this strike I was on the Auckland Star then and remember all the British Ships being out for a few weeks ,a very bitter dispute and one where I think we were stitched up by the Kiwi Seamans union as from memory the Amalric was not a "Home Boat"but went from NZ to the West Indies and back which they believed should be manned by Kiwi Seaman Ill stand to be corrected on that but I remember being at a delegates meeting with all the reps from other British ships and the Wharfies union guys when three Kiwi Seaman came storming in telling the Amalric guys we were selling them out ,looked like a setup to all us guys...

Joe w
31st December 2012, 05:25
Do any of you old Shaw Savill guys remember this strike I was on the Auckland Star then and remember all the British Ships being out for a few weeks ,a very bitter dispute and one where I think we were stitched up by the Kiwi Seamans union as from memory the Amalric was not a "Home Boat"but went from NZ to the West Indies and back which they believed should be manned by Kiwi Seaman Ill stand to be corrected on that but I remember being at a delegates meeting with all the reps from other British ships and the Wharfies union guys when three Kiwi Seaman came storming in telling the Amalric guys we were selling them out ,looked like a setup to all us guys...

Yes I was there on the Wild Auk and remember that SSA paid for the NUS guy to come out to sort it out which went down like a ton of lead I remember then Sam NUS had to come out to NZ to sort it out as the union guy was told to get away in jerky movements when it was found out about who had paid for him to be there.
It did spread round the coast and over to Aussie nothing moved even the OCL box boat worked cargo then sat on the container berth refusing to sail.
We had a great time as we were about the only ship to be able to keep our bar open and made lots of cash and had a great time.
Think it lasted about five weeks in the end.
You are right we were screwed by the Kiwi seaman's union but it backfired on them later like British seaman as rare as rocking horse **** now.

minnisminn
20th January 2013, 13:59
Hello Alex and Joe,
After my leave from doing the last two cruises, On the Northern star Before she went to scrap. I was offered the Mv Amalric, Which i took from the Prescot street pool. I remember them telling me there was some kind of trouble on the ship but not to worry about it? The info was very thin? So i flew out! Landed in Auckland and i remember walking to the dock gates and being shouted at from some passers -by
I was a bit confused by this as i still did not know the full story. As soon as i walked onto the Amalric, I was greeted by one of the crew and taken to the crew bar. There sat half on a table was Sam Mc cluskie from the n,u,s He ran us through the problem and then said if we are not happy with the situation, (Quote) Say so and i will send you home on the next silverbird. Which i found quite bizarre? As i remember thinking i have flown all this way to NZ (36 hours) and now i can fly all the way back home again? I did not take him up on that offer, I cannot remember how long we stayed in Auckland before we sailed. But on our departure we got a lot of verbal abuse
from the yachting fraternity. So we sail`d across the pacific, Through the panama canal into the caribbean with frozen NZ lamb and cheddar cheese. On our return to NZ, Lyttelton, Napier and back to Auckland, all was quiet. Probably the best ship and the best time i ever had, Glad i joined it.
Carl Rackley(Pint)(Pint)