Hurunui

Alex Salmond
7th May 2011, 14:02
There is a photo of the old Hurunui at Meadowside Quay in Glasgow in April 73 on which i posted a comment and which got me thinking, I was on there then but only done the coast for two months and didnt end up going Deepsea on that her last trip to NZ, is there anyone out there who done that trip and can let us know what it was like I believe she went to scrap later that year.

cubpilot
9th May 2011, 12:09
i was on her about 69 and she should have gone to scrap even then, well she was ok but engines were letting her down and there was loads of 'lets just patch her up' and she will do a few more trips. if i recall one day in london docks someone noticed a drip of water from the galley deckhead. bit of knocking with a hammer and the whole deck was motheaten from the officers bathrooms above. 'pea soup today sir?' happy ship all the same

Mike S
10th May 2011, 09:57
Reminds me on Durham when it was discovered that the main sewer main from same officer bathrooms was dripping into the stew.
Never tasted the same again.....................(EEK)

Govanbill
27th May 2011, 21:48
Reminds me on Durham when it was discovered that the main sewer main from same officer bathrooms was dripping into the stew.
Never tasted the same again.....................(EEK)

The worst of it was thrown out though

Supern
2nd June 2011, 09:46
My husband was second on the Hurunui in 1968 and 69. Actually met him then. He loved the H boats.

Hard work and hard play

Doxfordman
4th June 2011, 02:45
"H" Boats were certainly that - you worked hard and you played hard!!

byrd
13th September 2011, 10:34
My first trip to sea as deck boy was on the Hurunui in 1965. I did two trips on her to NZ. What an experience for a 16 year old boy still wet behind the ears.
I did a lot of growing up during those 2 trips as you can imagine.

2sheds
3rd December 2011, 11:21
I was 2nd leckie on Hurunui for her last three trips - including the scrap run and they where some of the best days of my life. Hedonistic certainy - I suspect we were enjoying the last hurra before containers changed everything!
Would be great to hear from any deck types and 'ginger beers' who did those trips.
Very best to all.

ixion
14th March 2013, 16:54
There is a picture of an H class ship (believed to be the Hurunui when laid up in July and August 1969) with another Federal or NZS Co ship anchored here
on
http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/GetImage....ge=1&ID=451816