Jim Honeybill

Hank
10th May 2011, 16:26
Does anyone remember the late Jim Honeybill who was with Blue Flue until 1964?
I ask because his granddaughter has sent me some of her poetry about him (part of an OU course) to check for nautical correctness and I am afraid that I cannot recall ever meeting him.
Cheers,
John

The Dog
15th July 2011, 13:40
Does anyone remember the late Jim Honeybill who was with Blue Flue until 1964?
I ask because his granddaughter has sent me some of her poetry about him (part of an OU course) to check for nautical correctness and I am afraid that I cannot recall ever meeting him.
Cheers,
John

I sailed with Jim when he was bosun, he also did a bit of coasting towards the end. Came from Amlwch on went to work as rigger in Point Wylfa nuclear power station. A nice quiet man and a good seamen.

CarolineD
21st September 2012, 11:22
I see that my Taid has got here before me - 'twas ever thus. Thanks Hank.

And thank you Dog - that was a lovely memory of him. He was quiet but mind you he could be a bit gruff when I was a child - there was no getting away with any nonsense with him. We would spend the Easter and summer holidays in Amlwch and he and my Nain were always so pleased to see us.

CarolineD
21st September 2012, 11:25
I should also mention the naval message which Hank has kindly put up on his website from convoy ME11.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/chinaboats/maltaconvoy.html

Jim probably shouldn't have helped himself to the piece of paper as he was leaving the Ajax but I'm glad he did.

Hugh Ferguson
21st September 2012, 12:41
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=47063#12Another of those desperate efforts to get supplies to Malta was code-named Operation Harpoon: the Blue Funnel Troilus and the N.Z.S. Orari were the only two ships that made it to Malta.
The attachment is of the Troilus alongside in Grand Harbour. ( Contains a better view- than the one of the Ajax-of the barrel, above the signal flag yard, on the foremast. The link refers to the Blue Funnel custom of attaching a barrel to the top of the foremast.)