11th May 2011, 22:24
http://briangrace.blogspot.com/

rothesian
11th May 2011, 23:50
great reading thanks
Alistair(Applause)

Donald McGhee
12th May 2011, 00:52
6 years later it wasn't much different when I joined my first Donaldson ship, Bosun was mad, Chief Engineer was mad, the only sane one was me, but I ended up like them after my first trip.
Great days and a great read, Thanks.

jmcg
12th May 2011, 19:54
Read every word of it - pure nostalgia. Thanks for posting it.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

Ian6
12th May 2011, 20:52
I'm glad I didn't serve my time there, my life wasn't easy a lot of the time but conditions were much better than you endured. Thanks for a great read.
Ian

bugga divino
14th September 2011, 04:21
Great account, Brian. Reminds me of my first ship (only lasted six weeks on the old b**ch), with an 80 proof first mate, a closet h*m* skipper, and a delusional sparkie who went around telling everybody that he was on a secret assignment to the CIA.
The food was c**p, the roaches huge, the crew made minor fortunes through pilfering cargo. Beer was rationed, and beercans used as ashtrays. Never again! The remainder of my apprenticeship was, of course, great, if the work was hard.....

dovesurf
14th September 2011, 10:14
Ha ha, very evocative. It had me thinking about my first voyage, reckon I ought to get writing

sparkie2182
14th September 2011, 12:10
"delusional sparkie who went around telling everybody that he was on a secret assignment to the CIA."

Nothing delusional there................We ALL were.

:)

A great read.............Thank you.

borderreiver
14th September 2011, 19:59
Chief officer Moffitt did he gain command but lost his command after cleaning the ships bottom on a sand bar. Then joined Commons as a mate on tankers. appox 1962 is this the same man

Basil
14th September 2011, 21:33
Great account; written with presence; absolutely palpable.

Took me back some years to first trip:
Old Man: Nutty
Chief Engineer: Pleasant but odd.
2nd Eng: Suspect a silverback had escaped from zoo and decided to be an eng.
Cook: Allegedly lusted after my body (according to the others).
THE ENG: Old B&W banging, shaking and hissing away.

Boatman25
14th September 2011, 21:41
Some of the apprentices worked very hard and were treated badly by everyone, I suppose including me at times. Some were snotty and thought they knew everything they were the ones I didnt like but some wanted to learn and were very hard workers who really did not deserve the trouble and those I got on with

enzoneo
23rd December 2011, 15:28
Blimey, that brought back a memory or two .... joined the "City of Coventry" in Gibraltar for my second trip as deck Cadet and went onto the bridge to report to the Captain. There was this figure leaning on the engine telegraph, shoulder length hair, white bath robe, hairless legs and strappy gold ladies shoes ... it was the Captain ! I hadn't thought about that for nigh on 45 years.

NoMoss
23rd December 2011, 16:20
"delusional sparkie who went around telling everybody that he was on a secret assignment to the CIA."

Nothing delusional there................We ALL were.

:)

A great read.............Thank you.

Of course we were - but we didn't all talk about it.

bgrace
14th February 2014, 09:32
i have updated with more factual info i have recd from the newfoundland archives

Michael Taylor
14th February 2014, 12:35
Blimey, that brought back a memory or two .... joined the "City of Coventry" in Gibraltar for my second trip as deck Cadet and went onto the bridge to report to the Captain. There was this figure leaning on the engine telegraph, shoulder length hair, white bath robe, hairless legs and strappy gold ladies shoes ... it was the Captain ! I hadn't thought about that for nigh on 45 years.

I also sailed with "her" Capt. Nellie Bellhouse I believe he was called as Apprentice onboard the Madras or possibly New York. His real wife was Capt. of a cricket team in Kenya.

R58484956
14th February 2014, 15:47
A jolly good yarn, thanks for posting.

brian3
14th February 2014, 18:50
well done interesting