Bank & Savill Line

China hand
14th May 2011, 18:36
I am sure a lot of ex SS&A folks have opinions on this venture. A few remarks on the Bank Line page, it would be nice to get some from this side.

loco
18th May 2011, 22:43
I don't know what the politics were for joining the SSA and Bank line services into a joint service was, but when I was a cadet on LINDFIELD in 1978, just after the formation of the service, I seem to recall that northbound loadings were good, but southbound were mainly empty boxes, with some breakbulk such as machinery and chemicals loaded in New Orleans or Houston, and tanks of over-proof rum from the West Indian islands!.
The northbound cargo was mainly reefer dairy produce or meat in containers, mostly loaded in Lyttelton, Wellington, or Auckland; and milk powder, loaded as break-bulk in, when I was there, on one trip Whangarei and the second trip New Plymouth.
I seem to recall that there was early talk of replacing the two SSA and three (?) Bank ships with new ships, but Columbus Line/Hamburg Sud already had newer, faster,bigger cellular ships on the same run, and had ordered larger still replacement ships; were the DUNEDIN and her near sisters obsolete before delivery?
As cadet, I do remember being presented with the new Houseflag to be flown, and instructions on which way up it went; and, if I remember correctly, on the LINDFIELD whilst I was on there, the SSA houseflag was flown above the Bank Savill one, on the same halliard (though it may have been the other way up).
We went to some interesting places in the Caribbean, but many ports were arrive 0800 and sail 1700; we only got overnighters in New Orleans, and a couple of nights in Port of Spain. The New Zealand ports were also generally in in the morning, out in the evening at the 'container' ports, but we had two or three days at the breakbulk port (and being milk powder, this was weather-dependant). I think that Lyttelton port had had to buy its own container cranes without assistance from the NZ government, and hence the box rate there was much higher than at the ports that had such assistance.
It was a good generally 'flying fish' run most of the time, but we did have a very rough passage from Sydney to Wellington, which was another story!

Regards

Martyn

DURANGO
20th May 2011, 08:32
I don't know what the politics were for joining the SSA and Bank line services into a joint service was, but when I was a cadet on LINDFIELD in 1978, just after the formation of the service, I seem to recall that northbound loadings were good, but southbound were mainly empty boxes, with some breakbulk such as machinery and chemicals loaded in New Orleans or Houston, and tanks of over-proof rum from the West Indian islands!.
The northbound cargo was mainly reefer dairy produce or meat in containers, mostly loaded in Lyttelton, Wellington, or Auckland; and milk powder, loaded as break-bulk in, when I was there, on one trip Whangarei and the second trip New Plymouth.
I seem to recall that there was early talk of replacing the two SSA and three (?) Bank ships with new ships, but Columbus Line/Hamburg Sud already had newer, faster,bigger cellular ships on the same run, and had ordered larger still replacement ships; were the DUNEDIN and her near sisters obsolete before delivery?
As cadet, I do remember being presented with the new Houseflag to be flown, and instructions on which way up it went; and, if I remember correctly, on the LINDFIELD whilst I was on there, the SSA houseflag was flown above the Bank Savill one, on the same halliard (though it may have been the other way up).
We went to some interesting places in the Caribbean, but many ports were arrive 0800 and sail 1700; we only got overnighters in New Orleans, and a couple of nights in Port of Spain. The New Zealand ports were also generally in in the morning, out in the evening at the 'container' ports, but we had two or three days at the breakbulk port (and being milk powder, this was weather-dependant). I think that Lyttelton port had had to buy its own container cranes without assistance from the NZ government, and hence the box rate there was much higher than at the ports that had such assistance.
It was a good generally 'flying fish' run most of the time, but we did have a very rough passage from Sydney to Wellington, which was another story!

Regards

Martyn I remember we had a month in Auckland just discharging on the Mystic back in 1961 we had time to get our feet under the table in those long gone days regards Dave .