Anybody out there from CP ships

firey
16th December 2005, 13:29
I sereved on the following ships in the early 80's.

Fort Coulonge,Fort Steele, Fort Edmonton, Forty Hamilton,Dart Atlantica and CP Ambassador.

Sadly conditions changed,shoreside was more appealing and along came the kids.

CP still a big company but now mainly with foreign officers and crew, still sponser British cadets but don't expect a job at the end.
How things have changed.Progress? see thread for CP Valour. You only reap what you sow. I'm disappointed CP but am I jumping the gun it may have been an unavoidable accident? (Cloud)

Firey

mcook
16th December 2005, 14:51
Hi Firey,

I sailed with CP from 83-86 as an RO.
Was on the Fort Providence, Fort Revolution, WM Neal, WC Van Horne,
Fort Calgary, Fort Kipp and RA Emerson.

It was a fairly good company to work for and the ship's were fine. Having
said that, some bright spark in the 'office' decided that the company could
save lots of money by not doing any deck maintenance. He was correct in
a sense, but after a year of deteriorating ships, a prospective charterer paid
a visit to some CP vessel he was going to use, and after one look said 'I am not
going to send my cargo on a rust heap like that!!"

This resulted in CP spending vast amounts of money to bring all the ships back up
to standard again.

The fate of the instigator of the no-maintenance policy is unknown, but he is
most likely a senior board member by now!

cheers,

malcolm

tetura
22nd April 2008, 05:40
Hello Firey, I sailed with CP from 82 till 84 as an AB. Sailling on the Fort Garry, G.A. Walker(during the Falklands),Fort Rouge and the Dart Atllantica. It was alright to start with but after two years I,d had enough and I jumped ship in Singapore. " Nice flight home " !!! REGARDS Trevor.

Les Gibson
26th April 2008, 22:42
Hi Guys,
With CP from 1968 to 1978. Sailed on the 'Beaverboats' and the forest product carriers. Was fortunate enough to stand by new buildings in Japan from 1972 'til 1977, but did maiden voyage on I.D. Sinclair in early 74. Great memories of a really good company with super ships and blokes. And yes I have also been in companies with rubbish ships and blokes!

jonjeff
21st May 2008, 09:30
Hi Les, I was with you on the maiden voyage of the Sinclair as well ,probably as 4th Eng at that time. I paid off in some godforsaken place in Brazil. Age dims the memories a little! Keep in touch. Jon Jeffrey

Keltic Star
22nd May 2008, 06:02
CP still a big company but now mainly with foreign officers and crew,

Firey

Point taken Firey but what does the "C" in CP ships denote? Haven't seen one with a Maple Leaf on the stern for decades.

mikeg
22nd May 2008, 16:56
Point taken Firey but what does the "C" in CP ships denote? Haven't seen one with a Maple Leaf on the stern for decades.

CP =Comedian Pathetic (==D) ..now running for cover(EEK)

GEORDIE LAD
22nd May 2008, 19:45
If I remember correctly,CP Ships is now Chinese owned...Doug

John Ringrose
28th May 2008, 09:25
I did my MED in Southampton with a guy who then sailed with CP ships. Bob Clay.

Madman - wouldn't mind finding him again

sailingday
3rd June 2008, 16:46
Sailed on the Empresses, Scotland, France and Britain as a 1/c and tourist waiter during the 50's

BobClay
16th June 2008, 16:15
Worked for CP from 76 to 86 as a sparky. GA Walker, WA Mather, WC VanHorne, EWBeatty, Fort Assiniboine/Garry/Rouge, IDSInclair, Port Hawkesbury and others. Only just recovered from the hangover.

:-D

mikeg
16th June 2008, 16:19
Sailed on the Port Hawkesbury as R/O in 71

DAVE F
17th June 2008, 17:24
I was on the CP Trader,voyager and Discoverer .... The Fort Garry I was dismissed from this vessel , as the Captain put it, Over Tank Cleaning {the not doing of} Oh how I loved that job .............

mikeg
17th June 2008, 17:46
Almost forgot, sailed on CP Voyager in '72 with my wife. Officers put a swear-box in the bar (my wife was the only women onboard). Proceeds of which bought a large hi-fi for the Officers bar
(K)

wood butcher
14th December 2010, 20:32
Hi Dave do you remember Joe Dujmovic?, he was Bosun on the Discoverer,i sailed with him on the Beaverfir in the 60s.

markg
12th June 2011, 14:12
spent a short period on Fort Hamilton in 1980/81, seems good memories now must have forgotten the bad bits (Thumb)

albatross1
11th October 2011, 17:44
I was with CP 1973 - 1986 on a lot of their classy vessels G.A. Walker Argies missed it, CP ambassador refused to sink, ID Sinclair ,Fort St John, TG Shaughnessy, Forts Kamloops & Yale and various others that I cannot remember. I left when they flagged the fleet out but still have generally good memories bad ones gone. Well most. still in touch with some guys from these days but memory for names is rubbish

R396040
11th October 2011, 19:59
I was P/CS on the Lord Strathcona Dec 1972 /73 Spanish crew.and British of
officers. who were a good crowd.
Stuart H

pensioner
11th October 2011, 21:29
Albatross1.
Were you on the Ambassador when she decided to take on water in the Engine Room, half way across the Atlantic, I was on her as Lecky. Gamblin was O/M.
Regards

albatross1
11th October 2011, 22:28
No I missed that one,Brown and Gaunt were the Captains on there for most of the time I was there, we did flood the steering gear got pooped and hatch was open exciting with a full load of containers and a howling gale,I was on there also when we lost most of the containers over the side in a storm lots of bikes ,pencils and crash helmets which made good decoration for the foremast it was Christmas. (Jester)

john234
13th April 2012, 09:29
hello i was on the vovager 1980 donkyman .captain was hooly good bloke a nutter took us to see rockall.then the GA Walker down the falklands ,where i met my brother welsh guards..(Applause)

mmurray
15th April 2012, 22:14
Hi folks,
Was 2nd mate with CP from 1983 to 1987, did trips on, Fort Calgary, Fort Nelson, GA Walker, RA Emerson,WC Van Horne, Dart Atlantica, Dart Americana and CP Ambassador - think thats the lot. Been ashore since the Ambassador went, still waiting for the call to go back. Have very fond memories of my time on the bulkers and container ships, also have memories of the tankers - which probably help me in remaining ashore.

Michael Taylor
16th April 2012, 13:13
I sailed on the Strathcona,W.M.Neal,D.C.Coleman and both the Fort Calgary and Nelson, starting April 74 as Ch. Off and signing off the Calgary as Master, December 76

Woodbutcher
18th April 2012, 12:51
Does anyone remember Captain Bill Williams?.I was straight out of my apprenticeship,and joined the Beaverelm as Carpenter in December 1962,it was i believe his first command after being on the Empresses.I was greener than green having to find things out for myself,albeit with a little help from the Shoregang Carpenters before we sailed.One day the Mate tells me that the Captains toilet has stopped flushing,and to sort it out.Well,not knowing the first thing about plumbing,it sort of threw me a bit ,but what can you do when everyone thinks that you know what you are doing?.So up i go to the holy of holys,and has a look,anyway i got the water turned off for that part of the ship,took it apart, a bit of grease, and put it back together,water back on,.. and tested it,and much to my suprise it worked perfectly.Later on that evening a case of Red Barrel was delivered to my cabin complements of the Captain.I must say that it was a big boost to a 21 year old 1st trip Chippie.

Erimus
19th April 2012, 09:17
I was agent for Fort Victoria in Immingham when she was in port for a month loading pipes,then we had a dock strike,and then a delay whilst the whole of the crew,not officers, were swapped for a different nationality........great stress then.

Most memorable thing was she carried female cadets,both deck and engine,which livened up things aboard.................this must have been 1978/79 before I returned to the Tees.

geoff

CEYLON220
19th April 2012, 10:33
Hello Firey, I sailed with CP from 82 till 84 as an AB. Sailling on the Fort Garry, G.A. Walker(during the Falklands),Fort Rouge and the Dart Atllantica. It was alright to start with but after two years I,d had enough and I jumped ship in Singapore. " Nice flight home " !!! REGARDS Trevor.

Trevor. your line on "jumping Ship", was any charges brought against you when you got home by the company---in the RN this would be a charge of desertion and the end game would be detention in Naval DQs and later discharged from the service(Peace time)--but --wartime the action would have been a court martial and then tied to a pole and shot, not a very happy ending----so the question is -what happened when you finally got home---just curious,mate!!!!!

outhouse
10th June 2012, 17:48
With CP from 74-82. Also sailed on Sinclair, August of launch year - gulf and back (Europort where daya think) bored to tears apart when the port boiler blew up!

On the Trader for a year when the main engine starting falling to bits - more than usual (I was the one that spotted the crack in the main entabliture - took ages to pursaude the Chief it wasn't just oil in flakey hammerite). Tie rods as it turned, out all three ships had to be checked and tightened.

On the Edmonton when it was still a B&W floating research project, didn't work, even the windy ER crane buckled - didn't help Van de Geesons took only 110 days to throw it together!!

Lots of fun some great guys, but could see the way things were going when Swifty set up office in Hong Kong, went off to build oil rigs. Probably something to do with 2 years on the Strathcona floating in the North Sea loading oil from an SBM.

james2011
26th June 2012, 01:37
hi all you ex cp guys does anybody know dave shepered i do believe he was mate dont know if he went skipper i know he did get his tickets but i moved and he moved so we lost touch does anybody know of him he was from yarm originally but lived in south shields for a couple of years in fact got married there but not for long i think he was on the port hawksberry the last i know he was on lpg carriers can anybody help

Garethed
27th October 2012, 22:56
I did two trips on CP Trader in 1975 as 5th Engineer. Main engine lub oil became emulsified on the way back from Quebec to Rotterdam, which I pointed out to the 2E who showed not the slightest interest. Ship was worked very hard without much care - glad to pay off. Joined HR Macmillan in Gwent after.

martin h
28th December 2012, 22:42
Started with CP as a Junior R/O early 1981, first Vessel CP Discoverer, then
Lord strathcona, Fort Nanimo, Fort fraser (Ex P&O), Fort Calgary, Fort edmonton(ascension) Dart Atlantica/Americana, CP Trader (San Loenzo), CP Voyaguer up to 1987 when Indian Officers took over. Fond memories, got loads of pics will upload for those interested - Cheers

ben27
29th December 2012, 07:23
hi les gibson.just reading messages anybody out there.i dont know if i count it is so long ago.anyway.i just checked my discharge book,and the first ship i signed on after being demobd from t124x articles.at the dock street pool london,was the beaverdale.that was in 1946.it was a very modern ship then.and after some of the rust buckets i sailed on still would be. i supose she went the way of all desent ships.probably got made into datsons?nice meeting you all the best ben27

m0vvt
12th March 2013, 20:56
Hi All.
First sailed on the HR MacMillan in 1968 then again in 1969.
Transferred to the NR Crump and did my honeymoon trip with my new wife on my last trip with CP over Christmas 1970. Was Sparkie at the time, first sailing with Capt Ali White, then for my last trip with Capt Tranter. Had some really great times on those ships especially the parties in Vancouver. Often wondered what happened to the girls there.
Sailing as a Mate/SDPO now in the offshore industry and will probably retire this year.
Interested to hear from anyone who remembers me.

Malcolm

LucyKnight
2nd May 2013, 17:08
Worked for Shell Tankers as R/O on the SSMangelia SS Alinda SS Hemitrochus and MV Amoria and then for CP Ships as ER/O on the Fort Steele I.D. Sinclair Port Quebec Fort Kamloops Fort Edmonton E W Beatty before going shore side in television.

LucyKnight
2nd May 2013, 17:28
Hi Dave do you remember Joe Dujmovic?, he was Bosun on the Discoverer,i sailed with him on the Beaverfir in the 60s.

You asked about anyone sailing with Captain Bill Williams, I sailed with him in 1979 on the I D Sinclair which was his regular boat (supertanker) He alternated with Captain Dick Jeans and they were on one on, one off unlike us. I had my trip extended twice with him and l had only had 10 days leave after l left the Fort Steele because another ERO wasn't well. He asked me to extend it a 3rd time and l dared to say no!

Lucy Knight (ex Shell R/O and ex CP Ships ER/O

LucyKnight
3rd May 2013, 15:09
Worked for CP from 76 to 86 as a sparky. GA Walker, WA Mather, WC VanHorne, EWBeatty, Fort Assiniboine/Garry/Rouge, IDSInclair, Port Hawkesbury and others. Only just recovered from the hangover.

:-D

I recognized your name from when l worked for C.P. Ships. Sailed on the Fort Steel (ZBMD I think) ID Sinclair, Port Quebec, Fort Edmonton, Fort Kamloops, EW Beatty. Shame about Alec

Lucy Knight.

Wayne Erasmus
5th May 2013, 23:31
Sailed on trader, voyeger and disco. Ambassader, Dart American. E W Beatty. I D Sinclear, Port Hawkesbery, T G Shaugnase. and others 1977 to 1985

Shamus
2nd August 2013, 13:52
I sailed with CP Ships from 1976 to 1980 as 3/E on W.A. Mather, H.R. MacMillan (when it was arrested in Iraq), W.E. Beatty (with Capt. Bill Williams), CP Voyager, Lord Mount Stephen, CP Trader and then as 2/E on J.V. Clyne, CP Trader, CP Voyager, G.A. Walker and Fort Steele.

I the left the Merchant Navy to work on the rebuilding of the Venice Simplon Orient Express and never returned.

I have great memories of the time I spent with CP Ships.

Bill.B
19th October 2013, 15:01
Sailed as REO from 78 to 85. Fort Steele, Fort Yale, Dc Coleman twice, Port Quebec , Port Vancouver twice, Dart Atlantica, G.A Walker, Fort Kamloops. Great bunch of guys and good trips. Best party was at the Zillertal in Hamburg when the Port Quebec had two complete sets of officers and we all ended up dancing on the tables and under the table. Was lucky to sail twice with Jim Mantz and was very sad to hear of his passing. Am still married to the girl I met in dry dock in Norfolk and still working for Imtech/Radio Holland here. remember Lucy was my relief on Port Vancouver in Baton Rouge.
Cheers.

Hamish Mackintosh
19th October 2013, 17:04
Hey I got a question fellas! I was on a coaster the Blisworth to be exact around 1949/50, we were discharging in Depford creek,road stone from Newlyn If I remember correctly, when aboard bounces a couple of Canadains looking for work, both were AB's, they had an unhappy story to relate, they said all the Canadain crews had been "Fired" from all CP ships, and CP were signing on Brits under British articles, whose pay scale was far short of the Canadian pay scale, they said they were not asked to "resign"so were "on the beach" We did have a job for one of the guys a Newfie who stayed with us for quite a few trips. on sailing later that day there was about four "Beaver" boats tied up alongside at Tilbury.What was that all about? was it a strike by the Canucks that got them all Fired, or was it a company ploy to reduce costs

LucyKnight
22nd October 2013, 12:51
Sailed as REO from 78 to 85. Fort Steele, Fort Yale, Dc Coleman twice, Port Quebec , Port Vancouver twice, Dart Atlantica, G.A Walker, Fort Kamloops. Great bunch of guys and good trips. Best party was at the Zillertal in Hamburg when the Port Quebec had two complete sets of officers and we all ended up dancing on the tables and under the table. Was lucky to sail twice with Jim Mantz and was very sad to hear of his passing. Am still married to the girl I met in dry dock in Norfolk and still working for Imtech/Radio Holland here. remember Lucy was my relief on Port Vancouver in Baton Rouge.
Cheers.

I think it was the Port Quebec in Baton Rouge that I joined as your relief not the Port Vancouver. The Capt was Capt Currie, the Ch/Off Kevin Rennison, the C/E I can't remember his name but he had a wife called Penny and the 3/Eng John Maltby when I joined. The ship later went to Japan before loading Tapioca at a port near Pattaya Beach in Thailand, before the Brits had discovered it as a tourist resort. The Australians had just started going there. The lads had a good time there! Unfortunately two of them had a motor cycle accident and knocked a local girl off her push bike which didn't go down too well.

Bill.B
22nd October 2013, 22:56
Hi Lucy
You were right it was the Port Quebec with Currie. Time has gone so quickly and so have the last few functioning grey cells. Hope you are doing o.k and life has been good to you. The number of ships I sailed on has paled compared to the ones I have been on in the last 25 years. Have done a few trips to Diego Garcia flying with the USAF. Got heavily involved with AT&T/Tyco cable ships. Am really glad equipment has got smaller now a Since I have had to drag it up the gangway. Crews now are not as involved with ships and sea life as we all were. No bars so some ships I sailed on are ghost towns outside of meal times. Have run run into a few old CP people, John Fowler, turned up on the Maersk Roubaix a few moths ago. Sorry to hear all the older guys are going though some didn't go soon enough. Huge amount of knowledge and experience gone. It has been a really interesting job and is hard to compare with anything for variety.
Take care
... . ..-

LucyKnight
31st October 2013, 19:24
There is quite a bit written about a R/O's life on many CP ships which can be viewed on the site - 20yrs behind the antennae mast by Roy Philpott which makes quite interesting reading

aflewk
7th November 2013, 22:49
Does Anyone Know If And When The Ga Walker Came Home From Falklands (or Did It Remain There ?)

LucyKnight
8th November 2013, 10:41
Does Anyone Know If And When The Ga Walker Came Home From Falklands (or Did It Remain There ?)

If you google 'cp ships G A Walker history' you will be able to click on an extract from Roy Philpotts book and he tells about being on there in the late eighties untill they paid off because foreign crew were taking over out in the Far East. Alternatively if you google '20yrs behind the antenna mast' followed by his name you would be able to click on the GA Walker chapter.

alan ward
8th November 2013, 12:28
I did a couple of trips on the England when I was a boy,does that count?

J Gunnig
8th November 2013, 20:10
I remember good times especially timber runs to Vancouver area with CP from 1969 till 1974 BEAVERELM, N.R. CRUMP T.G SHAUGHNESSY PORT HAWKSBURY LORD STRATHCONA and 2rd engineer on J V CLYNE and W C VAN HORNE I remember a J. Jeffery was cadet and 5 Eng on CLYNE on 2 trips when generators were falling to pieces. Have I got the right one.
regards J Gunnig

johnphillips
27th November 2013, 06:12
Shamus
Did you know my dad john phillips? He was a chief Engineer.
Morag

Wayne Erasmus
27th November 2013, 09:01
I don't recall sailing with John Phillips. I was with CP Ships from 1977 to 1885. Wish you all the best with your search.

Moulder
28th November 2013, 12:25
Anyone remember sailing with a 3rd or 2nd mate by the name of Bruce Hardy from Southampton way or his whereabouts now? He would have been with CP around 1983 - 1990 ish.

(Thumb)

Steve.

Geoff Bray
28th November 2013, 13:41
Hello Everyone
Bowater Steamship Company 1962
I sailed with CP from 65' to 70' mostly Beaverboats, Elm, Pine, Ash, stood by Fir
Did maiden voyage on the Lord Strathcona, sailed on the Pacific Logger then swallowed the anchor and came ashore
Met a lot of good people
Geoff Bray

LucyKnight
15th April 2014, 17:42
If anyone is looking for the Canadian Pacific/CP Ships Timelink.org site which was being run by Marshal Christie, it is no more. I just had an e-mail back saying it was partly for cost and also it did not seem to work.

sandy steel
15th April 2014, 18:04
You 'youngsters' make me feel really old -- I sailed trainee R/O on the Beaverford/MQJG April '59 to Feb '60 -- Captain was L. Johnston

ben27
18th April 2014, 01:08
good day sandy steel,m,16th april.2014.03:04.#52,re:quote,you "youngsters" make me feel really old.(april 59 feb 60)your just a young fella.i was on the beaverdale 1946/47.have a good day.regards ben27

endure
18th April 2014, 13:45
I went for an interview with CP. Unfortunately it was the day after my birthday and I wasn't in tip top condition. I didn't get the job (Jester)

Chris Wakefield
21st April 2014, 11:10
Hi
I was with Canadian Pacific from Cadetship all the way upto Sailing as Chief Engineer, 1977 to 1993
Only did 3 trips on tankers, the old Port Hawkesbury (1st trip out of cadetship) and a couple of the product tankers before being moved to the bulker fleet.
Then on various bulkers till they were all sold and then on the remaining container ships, which were being manned by Celtic Ship management.
The CanMar Victory (Later CanMar Valour) and the mighty CanMar Ambassador, in fact was Chief Engineer on the Ambassador on its last voyage with original CP officers onboard before she was handed over to Anglo Eastern ship management and we were all replaced with Indian officers.
I have some great memories of CP and its ships.

Walter cartwright
21st April 2014, 12:38
I sailed on the empress boats and Beaver boats between 1961 and 1964 as an electrician.hope someone out there remembers me.

LucyKnight
13th May 2014, 16:13
Just stumbled across site with a lot of photos of CP ships, Beaverboats etc fm 1934 - 1990 which might be of interest to some who haven't found it. If you google:-
1934 to 1990 - Merchant Navy Officers
will bring up site :-
merchantnavyofficers.com/cp34

Brian Boyd
19th June 2014, 01:04
Hi everyone my dad Fredrick Thomas Boyd (Tony) was a CE until he died in1979. I think his last trip was on Port Quebec....anybody remember him?

Les Gibson
20th June 2014, 22:26
Hi Brian,
Your dad was a lovely man. Really looked after his guys. He was Chief on the J.V. Clyne in 1971 (CP Ships) when I was 1st lecky. I Joined with my wife in Tilbury then to Jacksonville loaded rock phosphate for Port Moody. Discharged, then loaded forest products around Vancouver Island for UK/ Europe. Left in Ghent and flew back to UK. About 3 months round trip. Great times, sad that he has gone. Take care.
Les Gibson

Brian Boyd
22nd June 2014, 00:05
Hi Les thanks for replying and that's lovely to hear, I was only 10 when he died and didn't really get a great chance to know him with him being away from home so often, but i was fortunate enough to spend a week in Denmark with him (whilst Port Quebec was being built? I was very young and remember going to a ship yard and being shown about). I also spent a weekend in Tilbury docks on board, happy days.
Cheers Brian

leo roberts
22nd June 2014, 02:51
I sereved on the following ships in the early 80's.

Fort Coulonge,Fort Steele, Fort Edmonton, Forty Hamilton,Dart Atlantica and CP Ambassador.

Sadly conditions changed,shoreside was more appealing and along came the kids.

CP still a big company but now mainly with foreign officers and crew, still sponser British cadets but don't expect a job at the end.
How things have changed.Progress? see thread for CP Valour. You only reap what you sow. I'm disappointed CP but am I jumping the gun it may have been an unavoidable accident? (Cloud)

Firey
leo roberts i was cook on the fort garry ,f rouge , g,a, walker , ceder{c.p.}voyager ,dart adlantic, enjoyed my time with cp

Bill.B
30th June 2014, 12:29
Hi Brian
I was REO on Port Quebec in Sept Isles when your dad died. The night before we were all in the bar and I remember Fred saying "I will be glad when I retire and can have a drink". He was a quiet gentle man and one that everyone respected and liked. The old man was Carl Prakel and was also a great old man. That day someone noticed that the chief was missing and found him in his cabin and wasn't responsive. We were at anchor by this time and the old man called the Canadian Coast guard on VHF but they said to keep giving him oxygen and they would get there as soon as they could. Hours went by and our oxygen was running out and Captain Prakel was going crazy that the CG couldn't come out. He tried everything and those working on your dad did all they could. It was hours later when they turned up. The old man tore into them but it did no good. What they were up to that day I don't know but it was to their shame. I guess we were clutching at straws to try and get him help but I think the damage had been done before we found him. It was a very sad day for all and sending the telegrams and phone calls equally so. All I can say is that his shipmates tried everything to get him help.
He had a wicked wit and was a great shipmate and we all mourned his passing.
Bill Bonner

DRL1962
30th June 2014, 17:23
Hi Les

Know this is an old thread, but can You remember a chief engineer who also stood by in Japan for CP called Eric Wilson. He was my father in law. He sadly passed away in 2007. I was also on board the CP discoverer for a couple of trips in 1982. I still see his mate Capt Moat (Moaty) from time to time.

leo roberts
30th June 2014, 18:30

now then trever i was on all the above mentioned ships took my redundancy ,but went back to do a one off on the dart adlantic did i know you i was on the fort garry from trip one with uk raitings had mario as 2nd cook lots of taffs and a bloke called bill condon as bosun
i did enjoy all that philapines bit , also on the rouge , 2 times on the walker , and other ships left in 86

IMRCoSparks
30th June 2014, 18:31
Hi everyone my dad Fredrick Thomas Boyd (Tony) was a CE until he died in1979...anybody remember him?

Hi Brian
Attached is a very blurry photo taken at Xmas 1968 aboard HR MacMillan in Pt Alberni BC.
To the left of Capt Brown, I'm sure is Fred. Also in the pic is Ross, 2nd Eng. & Jeff, 3rd Eng ( with beard). I'm the guy with the big white face.
As the ship was still under warranty from the Mitsubishi shipyard in Hiroshima, a company representative was also carried, also pictured. Although he seemed to enjoy the Xmas fare, he usually lived on lots of rice. He carried his own huge supply and occasionally in the sunny tropics he would spread it all out on one of the hatches and we'd all watch the weevils wiggle away.
Fred was a really nice person. My cabin was next door. Most evenings at sea four of them( Capt C/Off Fred & 2nd Eng) would gather in his cabin to play Bridge. Not me - I was working! This ship was also my introduction to CP Ships, of which I have fond memories.
Ken

Les Gibson
3rd July 2014, 21:39
Muggsy you old seadog!!
Yes that is Fred Boyd next to BOH Brown. Hope you are well and enjoying life in Canada. Kyoko and I have just celebrated 45 years of marriage, went back to Japan for that.

Les Gibson
3rd July 2014, 21:43
Reply to DRL
Eric and I were good friends and he was a great boss. When we sailed together he was always 'Chief' but Eric when just the two of us off the ship. Sad to hear of his passing. Have you got a contact for 'Moaty'? Sailed with him a couple of times and he came out to Japan to join one of the new ships.
Take care
Les

codad1946
22nd July 2014, 15:28
I was with CP from75 to 86,but the only name I recognise in the thread is Lucy Knight, who I sailed with but can't remember which ship....
I started as 2/E on the Alaska with Alexander Stephenson as Chief and Akasaka Shaw 2nd Mate. I really enjoyed being in a "proper company" and saw out my seatime for 8 years as Chief before taking the redundancy package in '86.
Sailed on Macmillan(2) (stuck up the Shat El Arab) and Clyne, Macleod(4), Emerson(2), Mather(2), Calgary,(3) Yale (may have missed a few) ending up with the Disco and Trader laid up in vdWetering and finally sailing the Trader out after a crankshaft regrind. Only CP man I am still in touch with is Geoff Wright. Hopeless with names but remember quite a few faces!
Stephen Carey

Neil Scriven
12th August 2014, 18:01
I sailed with C.P. ships for 25 years.Passenger boats to Containers and clean product boats.

Neil Scriven
12th August 2014, 18:14
If anyone is looking for the Canadian Pacific/CP Ships Timelink.org site which was being run by Marshal Christie, it is no more. I just had an e-mail back saying it was partly for cost and also it did not seem to work.

Shame...... I looked forward to reading it seeing who was still with us and who had crossed the bar.