Research/study

Clive Francis
25th May 2011, 15:58
Hello everyone I am Clive a new member.

I am looking for UK records of all ships and vessels sunk since 1950 up to today, from tankers to passenger cruise ships, ferries, trawlers, in fact pretty much everything.

I would also be looking for records of all those who lost their lives in all these sinkings which, one presumes, would also be logged with appropriate bodies.

I am doing research on these events and deaths and would like to do the US records too. I'm not looking for thousands of ships names nor the names of those lost, just the amount of vessels in total, as well as the amount of people who died, in total each year.

A novice on net at 60, I need help in tracking this information as I really don't understand the workings of the net or how to even begin really. I had trouble just getting in here to start with!

Can a genius on computer who, now knowing what I need, help me please? I figure the totals of sinkings and deaths would be on a yearly record, somewhere.

This is all I need for the UK, though it would be very interesting to see what the U.S. has on record too. Why am I asking this one may ask? A study on trying to improve maritime safety.

Thanks for reading this. I hope someone out there has the right know-how and can supply me with answers.

Cheers - Clive

gaelsail
25th May 2011, 17:41
http://www.maib.gov.uk/ might be a good place to start- not sure how far back they go.

R58484956
25th May 2011, 18:47
Greetings Clive and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

billyboy
25th May 2011, 22:52
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Don Matheson
25th May 2011, 22:59
Greetings Clive and welcome to SN. This could be the place to find the information you require. I would also say coming on here is a good way to find your way round computers. Lots of guys on here only learned what they need to learn to get onto SN.

Don