Larchbank

Ray
20th May 2004, 16:02
Hi,
I'm tracing my family history with little to go on but memories of stories told by my father and grandfather. I'm searching for info on the mv Larchbank. My dad's cousin, Frank Saunders, was an officer in 1966. Has anybody any pictures or information about the ship or Frank?

david smith
21st July 2004, 18:55
The Larchbank was built in 1961 and was 6243 tons gross. length 488 ft breadth 62 ft
speen 15 knots
sold to Greeks and renamed New Lark

pete
30th July 2005, 21:37
My info is a bit different to Daves but for what it's worth Delivered 9/62, sold to Nan Chiao Shipping (Singapore) and as Dave says re-named New Lark. 14/11/83 arrived Beihai in China for Scrapping..............pete

hastieman
17th January 2006, 16:40
hi great to hear bout bank line i was on mv foyle bank that year

oldmarconiman
18th January 2006, 09:57
I go along with Pete's info. For a picture and more detail refer to Ship # 216 in H.S. Appleyard's Bank Line 1885-1985, published by World Ship Society 1985, ISBN O 905617 34 7

ruud
18th January 2006, 10:43
Ahoy,

Yep Pete,

Larchbank (2)1961
1978 sold to Nan Chiao Shipping, Singapore renamed New Lark.6,354
Photo source?

PJW
19th January 2006, 21:27
I joined Larchbank as Deck Cadet in Wallsend drydock on 2.2.76. The Captain was Barclay Ross. We loaded around europe on charter to a french company, NCHP for the Red sea. I remeber playing football against a team from from Strathinch ( formerly Trinder Andersons Antrim) in Djibouti at the Olympic stadium, which had big stands but no grass. Whilst leaving the berth in Aquaba we hit the propellor against the quay and had to go to drydock. We did this in Singapore then loaded on the Bank Line Oriental Africa run discharging on the east African coast. We then loaded for the far east again finally paying off in Bangkok on the 14.9.76.
It was a typical bank boat voyage and a real happy ship. She had no aircon so we sweated a bit but the draught beer made up for that.
Happy days.

ronnie r
30th June 2006, 08:37
Any one interested in this company's post war ships should invest in the publication SHIPS IN FOCUS record 17 for 7.00 from Ian Allen bookshops. This edition has a section on Bank Line with about a dozen photos + diagrams . It explained that you could tell the H&W ships from the Doxfords by the ships name being black on the white topstrake in the case of Sunderland built and white on the black bow for Belfast.
Regards Ronnie R

non descript
30th June 2006, 08:48
Nice one, and a nice thread and result. I am sure that Ray, the original poster of the thread, will be very grateful for the kind support.
(Applause)
Regards Mark

Malcolm Darke
19th August 2009, 22:48
August/September 1972 possibly Kaviang or Kimbe, can't remember.

Malcolm ...

Mike Agate
1st January 2013, 04:41
fHi,
I'm tracing my family history with little to go on but memories of stories told by my father and grandfather. I'm searching for info on the mv Larchbank. My dad's cousin, Frank Saunders, was an officer in 1966. Has anybody any pictures or information about the ship or Frank?

I sailed with a Frank Saunders back in 62 .He was 2nd officer on the Trentbank and I was 1st trip apprentice,on her maiden voyage.I do have a photo

Terry Bailey
1st January 2013, 06:14
I sailed with a Frank Saunders Nov 1966 to Feb 1968 on Riverbank and I think he was also 2nd Officer on my following ship Olivebank for a further 12 months, from April 1968.
He was a middle aged gentleman and very kindly to us first trip apprentices.
Unfortunately I don't have any photos of him.
Hope this helps.

John Dryden
3rd January 2013, 16:41
Terry,I joined the Olivebank on the Thames at Gravesend 1st of April 69 so likely took over as app. from you.She was fully loaded with sugar.It was my first trip and the first person I met gave me a beer while I listened to the tales of the previous voyage.The 5th Eng. Dave Alce stayed on,he was an Aussie,do you remember him.Pic of him in my gallery to jog your memory.

Terry Bailey
5th January 2013, 06:50
Terry,I joined the Olivebank on the Thames at Gravesend 1st of April 69 so likely took over as app. from you.She was fully loaded with sugar.It was my first trip and the first person I met gave me a beer while I listened to the tales of the previous voyage.The 5th Eng. Dave Alce stayed on,he was an Aussie,do you remember him.Pic of him in my gallery to jog your memory.

John,

We had loaded the sugar in Recife about 2 weeks alongside as I recall a fine ending to an enjoyable trip.
I remember Dave Alce, like all good engineers he kept the apprentices in beer.
Wonder what happened to our former shipmates?
Best regards.