Apostrophe !

fredkinghorn
16th December 2005, 18:27
Can someone please remove the apostrophe from Vessel's.

fred

fred henderson
17th December 2005, 13:53
Can someone please remove the apostrophe from Vessel's.

fred

Unless of course it is the vessel's equipment. I recently saw a sign at a garden centre that you would like Fred. They are selling "Winter Pansy's".

Best regards

Fred

fredkinghorn
17th December 2005, 16:16
I meant the heading on the Main Page. I agree if there is something relevent to " vessel's "

anyway I like the one about Winter Pansy's. Morrison's Supermarket near to me has a notice indicating " this door is alarmed " .

Ferry to Islay has a notice--" do not throw rubbish over the side - use the receptacle provided "

fred

John_F
17th December 2005, 17:23
Fred,
I would send the Administrator & Moderators copies of "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" for Christmas.
Happy Christmas!
John F.

Alistair Black
17th December 2005, 18:20
Was once on a Cal Mac dineaboard cruise. The menu was headed MV Lord of the Isle's.

Aaarghhh!

Gulpers
17th December 2005, 22:52
Alistair,

Dare I ask which part of the Lord of the Isles you were eating? (*))

Mac
18th December 2005, 03:39
Fred
For amusing examples of apostrophe abuse have a look at the website of the "Apostrophe Protection Society" link www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk
and see how serious the members are.
Mac

Alistair Black
18th December 2005, 08:02
Alistair,

Dare I ask which part of the Lord of the Isles you were eating? (*))

I'm not sure, but it was very tasty!

Alistair. (ps, I must be a near neighbour of yours, I'm in Gourock too.)

Jan Hendrik
18th December 2005, 09:57
An excellent site Mac, thanks.

EMMESSTEE
18th December 2005, 12:12
[QUOTE=

Alistair. (ps, I must be a near neighbour of yours, I'm in Gourock too.)[/QUOTE]

Who's (is that apostrophe correct??!!) not in Gourock these days?!

I have lots of happy memories of the place in the 1950s as a child/youth when there were steamers enough about which to be dreaming today - though I don't consider myself a "steamer dreamer" by your definition!!

Do you catch any ships from the Erskine Bridge photo point on your weekend jaunts to Balloch to tend your "Maid of the Loch" - and I still hope that you can restore her to her 1953 appearance, including mainmast!!

----------------------
Mike.

non descript
18th December 2005, 12:22
Fred,

Well done and you may also feel that there is also a case to answer in respect of:

MEMBER'S NOTICE BOARD

afterall there are quite a lot of us.

trotterdotpom
18th December 2005, 14:01
Fred
For amusing examples of apostrophe abuse have a look at the website of the "Apostrophe Protection Society" link www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk
and see how serious the members are.
Mac

Thanks, Mac - it is a good site. I think I've just about got the apostrophe off pat, but the semi-colon's got me stumped. What use is half an ar**hole?

John T.

fredkinghorn
18th December 2005, 15:51
Never wondered how engineers were made ?

fred

fredkinghorn
18th December 2005, 15:57
Hi Tonga. I missed that one ! It should read MEMBERS' notice board. Agree?

fred

Mad Landsman
18th December 2005, 16:04
I think that Ms Lynne Truss has a lot to answer for.

fredkinghorn
18th December 2005, 16:18
How about this then Clockman ? Do not finish a sentence with a preposition !

fred

non descript
18th December 2005, 18:09
Hi Tonga. I missed that one ! It should read MEMBERS' notice board. Agree?

fred

Fred, I’m afraid that’s the case, but I’m not pushing to get its apostrophe shifted in case any single member feel it’s where it should be and happy with its position.

(*))

fredkinghorn
18th December 2005, 19:09
The " flying comma " has gone Tonga !

Now what further mischief can I get up to ? ( he said, ending with a preposition )

fred

non descript
18th December 2005, 19:12
Fred, well done.

Having acheived this, it is possible that the "member" will ask for his own noticeboard to be extended to us all.

(*))

Mad Landsman
18th December 2005, 19:47
In the words of Winston S Churchill: "Up with this I will not put".

Gulpers
18th December 2005, 20:41
Alistair. (ps, I must be a near neighbour of yours, I'm in Gourock too.)
Alastair,

Glad you enjoyed your Lord of the Isles!
Sadly, not a neighbour nowadays. I have not lived in Gourock since '81 when I came ashore - see my profile. I was brought up in Steel Street and Broomberry Drive but presently live on Anglesey. I still get 'home' on a fairly frequent basis and visit my Mother who now lives on Greenock Esplanade. Pilgramages to the Vic are undertaken when possible! (Thumb)

non descript
18th December 2005, 20:50
The " flying comma " has gone Tonga !

Now what further mischief can I get up to ? ( he said, ending with a preposition )

fred

Fred,

You will be "delighted" to see that not only has it flown back, but it's now been joined by a mate.................

Tonga

Doug Rogers
19th December 2005, 02:12
Oh Gawd.. twins....I hope they dont breed any more, we could end up in deep poo....who started all this anyway!!.
Cheers..

non descript
19th December 2005, 07:48
Doug,

I'm thinking that it's the Moderators exercising the Moderators' rights and 'aving a laugh.

It's their way of tormenting me and Fred into dropping our unreasonable demand to have that Apostrophe removed from MEMBER'S and until we give in, he is going to add an extra ' until we are awash with ' s

'onga.

Doug Rogers
19th December 2005, 09:25
Well its as good an explanation as any I guess..dunno whats going on but I think whoever corrected it originally didnt quite get it right!!.
Cheers..

non descript
19th December 2005, 19:28
Doug

I am expecting a ransom demand cut from Lloyd’s List saying “BACK OFF OR THE APOSTROPHE GETS IT AND WILL BE A HELPLESS COMMA – PAY £1 TO THE FLYING TABNAB BY MIDNIGHT”

Fred has gone quiet, so maybe he has already been fitted with concrete apostrophes for his audacious attack...

Tonga

Doug Rogers
19th December 2005, 21:21
This thread seems to have gone to the '''''''''''s'''''''''s''''''''s''''''''s.

non descript
19th December 2005, 22:01
I've had a word with Mrs Tonga and she feels that they are bluffing and will not really turn the much loved Apostrophe into a Colon or, heaven forbid, into a Semi-Colon. She says that I should not definitely pay the ransom and sit it out, as all will be put right quite soon and without any loss of face.

I can remember a tale from between the wars when a Comma was rubbed out in a dispute over a Full-Stop, but we have come a long way since then and there is now a Geneva Convention covering "Apostrophes and Apostrophes' Friend's Friends"

(*))

non descript
19th December 2005, 23:40
Well done Mr Senior Moderator.

(Applause)

Viewing no ransom was paid to achieve this result, Mrs Tonga has authorised reasonable funds to be released to All Hallows Church, where the stained glass window of the "Royston Grange" is a peaceful and comforting reminder of that tragic loss.

Thank you for a pleasant time and my thanks not only to you for this amusing issue, but for your hard work in making and running what is, in my mind, the best site on the web.

Happy Christmas to you Sir.
Tonga