The times they are a changing

peter stenton
26th May 2011, 14:21
Hi my first post, my interest in ships was started back in the 1960s, when I started my apprenticeship in the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board
in Liverpool and has continued since. I worked in the port for 25yrs, and eventually moved on to other jobs, they were very good years with many memories, the docks were full and ships waiting out in the river,with many characters working the docks, it was a time full of employment.
The enjoyment of hearing a steam winch working on a ship whilst walking down a qauyside, is something I will never forget, or all the ships in the port sounding there horns at the stroke of midnight on new years eve, or waiting for the one o clock gun to fire each day, the signal to start work again, happy memories I am now retired and spend an odd hour looking up reference`s to the port during that time. Please pass on your comments.

hawkey01
26th May 2011, 14:27
Peter,

on behalf of the Moderating team welcome to SN. Enjoy all we have to offer. Plenty of Nostalgia here.

Hawkey01

R58484956
26th May 2011, 20:34
Greetngs Peter and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

peter stenton
26th May 2011, 21:48
Many thanks for your welcome message I look forward to enjoying the site.

peter stenton
26th May 2011, 21:50
Thank I look forward to many happy hours with your site.

billyboy
27th May 2011, 05:11
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

peter stenton
27th May 2011, 13:09
Many thanks and look forward to many happy hours browsing.
Cheers