tev wahine

nzmatt
17th December 2005, 07:19
hello all from syndey i want to build a model i have drawings and stuff.were can i get some photos or any more info on her from???i went back home last week in lyttelton nz and got some plans but sadly not any photos i have check the gallery here there were three good ones.anyinfo welcome thank you matt

(Thumb)

flyer682
18th December 2005, 01:06
Have a look at my website under Steamer Express and also the Photo Gallery - there may be some info of interest to you.
www.nzcoastalshipping.com

sherloc
18th December 2005, 10:23
Hello Matt, There is a very good web site on the "wahine" (www.nzmaritime.co.nz/wahine) it tells the full story of her launch to her sinking. all the best Sherloc.

nzmatt
19th December 2005, 05:27
thanks guys

Ngaio 62
19th December 2005, 06:56
Hi,
I am working on a model myself. 59cm overall length.
what length are you considering?

Martin

nzmatt
19th December 2005, 07:30
scale 1/8 foot about a dining table size round 6 feet long i have plans shell expansion and general plans all decks. lines and body plans. and profile.just in the drawing stage now as i have posted a photo of my rangitira model on this site.anyway i will post photos when time permits.cheers matt

Fairfield
19th December 2005, 12:16
Look forward to that. Very envious of your talent.

royal viking
27th April 2006, 01:37
anybody come across any good color photos of wahine

nzmatt
27th April 2006, 06:05
no none sorry,but a dvd is out here at ezy dvd in australia.might be at home in nz as well.she name deadly harbour. part of the shipwreck series on discovery channel.also a book around i think there is a auckland maritime bookstore online that as it.cant find the book at hand but it is great.cheers matt

royal viking
27th April 2006, 08:06
nz matt ...........did i read correctly you were building a model

royal viking
27th April 2006, 08:13
also i can't find your'e pic of your'e rangitira model

nzmatt
27th April 2006, 11:24
yes the pics should be here of my model,please check cheers or look under what images by thhis person.that might help:)

nzmatt
27th April 2006, 11:27
just checked they are there.i have to post new pic with alot of work i have done.yes planing tev wahine just have to get around to building her.got plans ans some pics.cheers

royal viking
27th April 2006, 22:34
sorry mate ....not sure where i look for the pics

Ngaio 62
19th May 2006, 23:46
A good source for visual material is Emmanuel Makarios' book THE WAHINE DISASTER-A tragedy Remembered.

I have a copy of it and recommend it. Good colour work too! see cover shot in my gallery.

cheers

Martin Cahill

Skipper46
9th July 2009, 00:05
Hi all I am new to this forum. Most of my life was spent in the Royal Australian Navy which included exchange duty with the Royal New Zealand Navy. I have joined this group as part of my quest to find out more about the NZ TEV RANGATIRA which I saw discussed here in this WAHINE thread. My aim is to be a working model of that beautiful ship which I saw at sea and entering/ leaving harbour. My biggest need to locate a set of ships hull line drawings but any other pointers from the model makers would be most appreciated. Cheers David

auldme
9th July 2009, 04:47
http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/wahine
Sorry guys but in Western Australia I'm told there is no such page. Interest mainly because the day after the sinking I was mate on a China Nav ship which arrived in Wellington from Napier. We heard of the sinking at sea and of course it was all the pilot could talk about. I followed the enquiry from afar. The sadness stays with me. Regards auldme

maurie
9th July 2009, 11:09
try this. it works , you left off the last part of website name. Cheers maurie
http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/wahine.htm

Supern
3rd August 2009, 05:58
I remember the Wahine disaster and seeing her in the harbour over near Eastbourne I was on a train going to Wellington from Lower Hutt. My friend's Uncle is a Wahine surviver and he is still alive. He was working on her.

I can still see her in my mind's eye from that day.

Ngaio 62
25th April 2010, 05:26
http://www.thewahine.co.nz/index.html?Home+Page.x=11&Home+Page.y=8

spongebob
25th April 2010, 08:19
Ngaio 62, thank you for that detail

Bob

dom
26th April 2010, 00:25
Ngaio 62,thanks for that sad to hear that Ken Mcleod passed way as a lot of others from the Wahine

Scotch Boiler
2nd February 2012, 09:12
I was on the delivery voyage of the Wahine from Fairfields shipyard, then Greenock to Wellington. 5th engineer, then stayed on with the USSC until late 1969.

steamship
20th August 2012, 07:17
I was on the delivery voyage of the Wahine from Fairfields shipyard, then Greenock to Wellington. 5th engineer, then stayed on with the USSC until late 1969.

Hi Gordon,
Were onboard when she came into drydock at Barclay Curles before she left?

Scotch Boiler
20th August 2012, 10:39
Hi Steamship, I joined Wahine about April '66, did the sea trials, then we left Greenock for NZ in June but turned back after about 24 hours because of a condenser fault. It took about 24-36 hours to replace the faulty condenser tubes then we sailed again. I don't remember dry docking.