Skype/Communication between members - merged threads

fredkinghorn
18th December 2005, 11:21
Anyone using Skype---you can now download Skype Beta, and with a camera on you P.C. you can now see your contact, provided of course there is a camera at the other end ! It is in Beta form at the moment and of course is free !
Well worth the download, make sure you shave and tidy your hair first, that goes for the men as well !

fred :@

Razor
26th December 2005, 21:36
Will I need a parting in the middle?

benjidog
26th December 2005, 23:16
Sounds a bit risky to me Fred. Any slight chance of people thinking I might have a modicum of intelligence would be instantly dashed. And then there is the pile of empties and cr@p all over the place in my study. Best leave the webcams to the ladies and ladyboys in Amsterdam and Leeds methinks!

How is the free phone call thingy working out? Is it really free and what are the limitations? I have thought about using skype but don't know anyone who has actually tried it out. Would you recommend it?

Lindsay Bremner
26th December 2005, 23:29
Yes it's great, I have been using it for about 8 months now to speak to relatives in Melbourne. It has saved me a fortune in phone calls, would definately recomend it.

Lindsay (*))

ruud
27th December 2005, 06:24
Ahoy,

Indeed, it's great, using it right from the beginning, and as told above, saved me a lot of money, making phonecalls weekly to NZ-Australia-Canada-France-Portugal and Spain.Also daily here in Holland,it is used by many of my friends, even to send piccies.Recommend it all our members,and it is totally free.

Trident
27th December 2005, 08:54
Lindsay And Rudd

I have just checked out the Skype site and wonder how good it really is.
Skype say in there info.“That means calling anyone, anywhere in the world at local rates”. Here in Western Australia our local calls are not timed so for 25cents you can talk for any length of time so long as it is a local call.
So does that mean we here in W.A could be connected to the U.K for unlimited time for 25cents?

Seems to good to be true.
Al.

ruud
27th December 2005, 09:57
Ahoy Al,

As long you want to make a phone call to another with a PC with internet connection, it's free, I never tried to make a connection with others that didn't had a PC, but been told that it is the cheapest way to call up by them, on local costs; I believe you have to buy those minutes in advance, but one thing for sure: You can't fool millions and millions, at the moment there are 3.408.709 users on line.
Here some awards they got the last year:

http://www.skype.com/company/awards/

Note:
Review from Cnet:
We experienced mixed results with SkypeOut, which we used to call non-Skype users. We added 10 euros (about $13) to a SkypeOut account in order to call regular landline phones. You make SkypeOut calls from the regular Skype window on your PC--just hit the plus sign, then the number. The welcome screen displays a running tally of your remaining SkypeOut balance. With SkypeOut, you can call any number in the United States, Canada, most countries in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Chile for 1.7 euros (about 2 cents) per minute. Calls to other countries and to cell phones outside the States carry slightly higher but still very reasonable rates

http://reviews.cnet.com/Skype_1_1/4505-3535_7-30865573-2.html?part=editchoice&subj=Skype&tag=logo

Ps:I'm not a sharehoulder(*)) , wish I was.

Trident
27th December 2005, 11:09
Hi Ruud. thanks for that information, as you say 3.408.709 users cant be wrong.

Cheer Al

steve Coombs
27th December 2005, 13:29
Yes i have used it for many months, it is cheap for calls to landlines abroad.

fredkinghorn
4th February 2006, 09:32
I imagine that a few of use use Skype to make/receive calls. I know that it would not be a good idea to put our Skype number on the SN site directly.
Other than using a PM is there any way we could do it? I thought this might be a good idea if we wanted to actually talk to each other.

Like my sister-in-law, I'm open to suggestions.

fred

" well, do you punk?"

ruud
4th February 2006, 09:53
Ahoy,

Yes there is a possibility, invite others by Skype, but as always needed a name and emailaddress, so better do this via PM.

trotterdotpom
4th February 2006, 12:20
I must be just a simple sailor, what the **** is SKYPE?

Fred, I am a simple sailor, what's your sister-in-law's number?

John T.

jim barnes
4th February 2006, 12:45

John T. just like you mate but i darn't ask (egg)

ruud
4th February 2006, 12:48

John T.
Ahoy John,
Simple as that, saves a lot of money.

http://www.skype.com/helloagain.html

R58484956
4th February 2006, 12:54
Skype is a telephone system thro' the PC with cheap calls world wide and free between skype members. you pay up front with a sum of money which you have to use in 6 months or lose it. According to "Which" this month reception can be a little iffy at times especialy if using pc at same time. You download software from skype to get started.

fredkinghorn
4th February 2006, 16:24
If you have Skype, and someone you know with a PC has Skype, you can talk to each other for free, no matter where they are. You can also call somebody you know who doesn't have a PC. To do this you have to buy time from Skype, using you credit card. You purchase time in euros through somewhere in Luxembourg, it is cheaper from there as the VAT is only 15%. It may sound a bit complicated but even Brocklebank steam plumbers should manage! Go to the Skype website and see if you fancy a go at it.

I asked the sister-in-law if I could give out her number. She said that I had put her into a difficult position, but that she would only bend over backwards to accommodate
me.

fred

" and the Lord said- " let there be light," and there was light--and you could see for f-----g miles "

Coastie
4th February 2006, 17:53
AMAZING Holmes, what will they think of next??

newda898
5th February 2006, 19:50
Now you can get handsets that act in the same way as normal phones and allow you to use Skype.

John Rogers
5th February 2006, 20:37
Another method (Free) is yahoo messenger with voice, my son and I bought two video cameras last week and we hooked them up to our laptops,downloaded yahoo and we were chatting to each other within minutes. The reason we did this is because my son left for Iraq this morning and now we can chat/email/and talk to each other via the web cameras.
John

wakaman
6th February 2006, 04:56
Hiya.....My friend in the UK has Skype,he also has broadband,would it
work for me,as I only have dial-up.???

Mad Landsman
6th February 2006, 20:16
Hiya.....My friend in the UK has Skype,he also has broadband,would it
work for me,as I only have dial-up.???

You have a problem there. The books all say that it only works properly with Broadband. There's normally not enough spare capacity on dial-up.

The technical side of it is that the software etc support what is called the G.711 codec, but if you can find a system/software that supports G.729a or GSM codecs then it will work on a narrow band with reduced quality. What that ammounts to is the method that it uses to convert analogue to digital and compress it.

Incidently the correct generic name for it is VoIP which means Voice over Internet Protocol. Skype is proprietotry peer to peer system and the most commonly available system to use VoIP.

mcgurggle
6th February 2006, 21:03
You DONT NEED a special phone or have to buy 'credits' to use skype. All you need is a mic, speakers & if you have a cam, you can see who youre chatting to, its excellent. Free calls to ANYWHERE on the globe. (*))
Y'dont need email addresses either, just the nickname of who you are calling.
Mine's 'mcgurggle'......Lets start a thread where we can show our Skype nicknames & members can 'Chat' by audio or audio/video. (Thumb)
Just go to skype.com & download it.
McG

fredkinghorn
7th February 2006, 09:58
Mcgurggle...sent you my Skype details.

fred " does my bum look big in this ?"

benjidog
4th October 2006, 04:20
I have finally got round to using Skype as the rate for calls to the UK from the apartment I am staying in is exorbitant.

As previous people have said, it is really easy. All you need to purchase is a set of headphones with a microphone attached for about a tenner and plug them into your PC. You download and install the software free of charge and away you go. To contact other skype users costs nothing (although of course you can't get through to them if their PCs are switched off). To call others without Skype the rates are very competive - though as usual it costs more to call a mobile phone - you buy time on-line using your credit card.

Currently if you are in the US or Canada, even calls to to normal numbers within those countries are free for the rest of 2006. I just chatted to my daughter in Ottawa for 15 minutes on her ordinary number and it was completely free.

The quality so far during tests has been very good using a broadband connection - though no doubt it would be a lot worse if you only have dial-up.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
4th October 2006, 05:14
Brian
For members who dont have skype in the USA I used a company called Zaptel it can be found with a search engine. You can purchase over the web calling cards for different ammounts, A 20 USD Card gave you nearly 12 hours talk time back to the UK at anytime day or night. All you have to do apart from the International and dialing number is enter a pin number.

billyboy
4th October 2006, 06:03
I only have a very slow dial up connection, but, i use skype very often to caht to people. I also use yahoo messenger a lot too. (billyboy5642 on skype)
(still2bill on messenger) wrote thta in brackets so the bad boys cant read it ... LOL(Jester)

ray1buck1
4th October 2006, 11:16
Brian
if you really want to go the whole way add a webcam and you can see the ugly b****r at the other end
Ray

mikeg
4th October 2006, 12:36
Brian
if you really want to go the whole way add a webcam and you can see the ugly b****r at the other end
Ray

Probably goes without saying but using a webcam on Skype requires broadband or equivalent and not dialup.

Mike

billyboy
4th October 2006, 12:53
Probably goes without saying but using a webcam on Skype requires broadband or equivalent and not dialup.

Mike

Thats odd . i am on a very slow dial up (31.2kbps) and my web cam works all right.
give me a shout on messenger and you can see.
Never tried to use the web cam on skype though. have to wait ans see if it works on there.
billyboy (Thumb)

steve Coombs
4th October 2006, 21:14
Ive had skype for quite along time, its much better compared to thers services, free to other pcs but if you pay for the service to none skype users (ie landlines) the rates to most places and mobiles are allot cheaper.

Steve

benjidog
5th October 2006, 01:26
Cameras are an interesting thought Ray but I am not sure I want to see Billyboy picking his nose on my screen! ;)

Regards,

Brian

billyboy
5th October 2006, 04:43
Cameras are an interesting thought Ray but I am not sure I want to see Billyboy picking his nose on my screen! ;)

Regards,

Brian

Brian, How could you!... I pick it very well, using my thumb nail, with my pinky crooked in the finest of english tradition! ... LOL You would get a shock when my wife walks past naked on her way from the shower though (and she does...its what keeps me young brian) (Thumb)

Coastie
5th October 2006, 04:44
Skype? Sounds like some form of sexually transmitted disease!

fredkinghorn
5th October 2006, 14:10
Coastie, there is a small village nearby named " Climpy ". Now that is definitely a name to be conjured with. ( ended on a preposition again fred )
" Doctor, I think I've caught a dose of Climpy "

fred

" Patience is mine sayeth the Lord, I shall delay "

Coastie
6th October 2006, 04:53
A bit like that place in Shetland called t**tt!

Gulpers
6th October 2006, 05:14
A bit like that place in Shetland called t**tt!

Hmmm, never heard of "Twitt". (Jester)

Coastie
6th October 2006, 06:04
It won't let me type tw--t!

benjidog
7th October 2006, 04:04
Now I have got into this Skype thing I thought I might as well mention the new toys I just got to go with it.

1. A cordless phone - you plug a doodah into the USB port on your PC and you can use the phone just like a cordless normal phone - it has similar range as well.

2. SkypeIn service. You pay a flat fee (10 euros for 3 months or 30 for a year) and for this you get a "normal" phone number which people without a PC can call you on. I have just got a London number and anyone calling it gets charged the same as they would pay for calling a London number - free in many cases as part of the tariff. The call is routed through to me wherever I am. You also get a free Voicemail service with it in case your PC isn't on or you don't answer. This is available in a number of countries - you can check it out on the Skype site.

Calls from the US to UK cost me about 2p per minute - about 14p to mobiles and free to other Skype numbers.

Brian

mikeg
7th October 2006, 12:42
I've been using Skype virtually since it came out and for a long time now I have used Skype in preference to normal BT landline because it is much clearer and in nearly all cases quite a bit cheaper, both Skypein and Skypeout. Of course computer-computer is absolutely free worldwide(==D)
One thing to note, keep a keen watch out for Skype updates, as there have been quite a few lately and you don't want to miss out of their service improvements.

Mike

Jeff Egan
7th October 2006, 12:53
We have Skype and a web cam, my son just has Skype, no web cam, our four year old grandson has learnt to use it and calls us up. The other day not realising he could see us but we can't see him he decided to play snap with my wife, it was hilarious, no nanny that's not snap that's a cow and that's a lion.

fredkinghorn
7th October 2006, 15:00
Benjidog, just done the same, have an Edinburgh number. Took your advice and did the updates

fred

" I put a nickel in my telephone to get my baby's number "

duquesa
15th March 2008, 19:59
It might be interesting to hear how many members are on Skype.

Keltic Star
16th March 2008, 05:07
Am on Skype but rarely use it except for the novelty factor.

Long distance calls are cheap enough from our telephone company and it's more comfortable to use a familiar hand set. Also don't have to hope that the callee is at their computer and I can leave a voice mail if necessary.

I can see the benefit of Skype in Europe and other locations where phone call charges are such an absolute rip off by everyone from the telephone company to thieving hoteliers but for us when traveling abroad, it's cheaper to use our local providers complimentary Calling Card and pay North American rates.

steve Coombs
17th March 2008, 11:55
Skype to Skype Calls are free so its fine if you have friends/family on skype anywhere in the world-I use it and have found it good

jaydeeare
25th March 2008, 23:18
I've used it a bit, and haven't had any problems.