Capt. BRYAN HILL

Stephen J. Card
2nd June 2011, 18:50
Does anyone recall a Captain Bryan Hill ex Blue Funnel in Denholms from 1972 to 1982? Also his last vessel in 1982 KARAMU FOREST?

Stephen

Hugh Ferguson
2nd June 2011, 22:25
I've just been going through Bryan's correspondence with me, of which there is quite a lot! In a letter dated 3rd Feb. 1994 he writes:-
'What happened was I was about to coast Jason to Glasgow in Jan.1972 when personnel (department) dropped the bad news in a far too casual way. Just couldn't understand it at all. But, not prepared to let opportunities slip, I walked into Denholm's Ship Management office immediately after arrival. They gave me an immediate interview with a second one two weeks later: and I was IN. Had nine excellent years in command with them before retirement came my way.
Had an extra year with a Singapore company, thanks to Swedish charterers, before giving up the sea completely'.

randcmackenzie
2nd June 2011, 22:37
Hello Stephen.

I remember the name, but never met him.

Karamu Forest was not in Denholm in my time.

B/R

Stephen J. Card
3rd June 2011, 00:12
Hello Stephen.

I remember the name, but never met him.

Karamu Forest was not in Denholm in my time.

B/R

Hallo Roddy,

I trust all is well.

Just spent a couple of hours browsing old Denholm News and found Capt Hill's name a few times. He seemed to have spent his time on small bulkers, SCOTSPARK type and a few of the general cargo boats... DUNELMIA and such.

I see a note in Denholm News for Summer 1982 that ADVARA ex KYOTO FOREST was sold to Singapore owners in August 1981. That just might explain the KARAMU FOREST question.

Best,

Stephen

Malky Glaister
3rd June 2011, 06:43
Like Roddy, I recall the name but did not sail with Captain Hill,

regards Malky

John Cassels
3rd June 2011, 06:51
Sailed with him on the Atholl Forest for a few months. He relieved another
Brian ( MacManus).
We had a bit of a time on her in the Baltic. Stuck in ice for a week , main
power failure , no heating , power to the galley etc. among other things.

Guess he would also be glad to forget that trip.

Hugh Ferguson
3rd June 2011, 07:16
Brian ( MacManus).

See HERE (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23762&d=1307031167) for a letter Bryan sent to Brian!

John Cassels
3rd June 2011, 09:46
Hugh , I remember that McManus was into that mail system , but didn't
realise the other one was also.

Hugh Ferguson
3rd June 2011, 12:42
Another Bryan to Brian ! With Atholl Forest on the cover which, I presume, would confirm Captain Bryan Hill's presence in her in 1979.

muldonaich
3rd June 2011, 12:43
sailed with brian mcmanus on troll lake what a trip better not say anymore lol kev.

John Cassels
3rd June 2011, 20:55
Another Bryan to Brian ! With Atholl Forest on the cover which, I presume, would confirm Captain Bryan Hill's presence in her in 1979.

Correct , I left her at Teesport, where she loaded a deck cargo of
steel and containers bound for Japan. date and location fits.

Archiebeag
22nd July 2011, 02:13

I remember Captain Hill and actually sailed with him and on the Atholl Forests last voyage with Denholms. I would have been onboard when that Parqueboat postcard was stamped up.
I joined her in Midddlesborough on the eve of my 21st birthday just after her (in)famous icing episode in the Baltic. Captain Hill gave me a box of King Eddies as a birthday present when he found out I had just missed getting the key to the door from me Mam and Dad.
God bless his wee cotton socks, I thought he was all right for doing that. Not all of the Denholms Old men I ever sailed with would have entertained that idea.

The Forests last voyage should have seen me do a RTW but, very unfortunately, it was sold to a Greek company and we all paid off in Yokohama before we got halfway round. Bugger. I've always been a bit disappointed with missing out on that.
A good trip though - apart from the scavenge fires - and a decent crowd that I've a lot of memories about.
Archie

LTS
22nd July 2011, 02:46
The Atholl Forest in the Baltic 1978 - 79.

John Cassels
22nd July 2011, 08:37
I was mate on her during the "ice " trip , loading glossy newsprint paper in
Rauma and Helsinki on a voyage charter to Finnlines.
She then went to Teesport to load a deck cargo of steel rails and containers.

I left her there but went back to Yokohama to rejoin when she was sold and
did a 4 week handover trip , leaving again in Vancouver BC.
Great days.

Archie , must have left when you joined in Teesport and joined when you left
in Yokohama !.

shipmate17
22nd July 2011, 12:25
Hi.
KARAMU FOREST id 6811126. Built 1968 by Oresundsvarvet. Landskrona. as VICTORIA grt 17442. ex 1977 KARAMU FOREST. ex 1981 OCEAN VENUS. scrapped Nantong 27/7/85.
Cheers.

Archiebeag
23rd July 2011, 23:26
Hey John,
We must have passed on the gangway at Yokohama.
A few things I remember from then............
Five days in a hotel in Yokohama because the DC10's were falling out the sky at the time. This meant they were all grounded and we couldn't get home 'cos there were nae flights....bugger.
Taking the tube to tour round the Emperors gardens and Tokyo Zoo...... only because the Second and Third mates had the good grace to organized it all. Good guys
Being surrounded by Japanese Schoolgirls determined to practice their English with us in the Zoo and on the Tube [=P]
(Maybe I shouldn't remember those bits in public B\))
It all happened a long while time ago now but - some bits you don't forget. other stuff just disappears!!
Archie

Archiebeag
23rd July 2011, 23:37
The Atholl Forest in the Baltic 1978 - 79.

Hi LTS
I see in you're profile that your time in Denhoms was similiar to mine.
You were also on the Nordic Patriot and then spent a bit of time with Maersk?
It's a small wee World out there. I was on the Patriot and also the Fighter (Very briefly and ungloriously)
Perchance at the same time??

Archie

John Cassels
24th July 2011, 10:01
Yes indeed Archie. After you all left and before the Greeks arrived there was
only David Livingston ( as ship manager ) , the cheng and me on board.
Still can see DL sitting alone in a lighted office in the small hours waiting for
the phone call from the UK to say that the handover had gone through.

Was glad that I had asked the ch.stwd ( was it Dan Sweeny ?)to keep a
case of corned beef and a case of tinned salmon hidden away before he
left. Just as well , couldn't get used to the new crowd's food - swimming
in olive oil.

The handover trip was worth a book in itself. 3rd.mate was the old man's
son and had only been on deck before. Remember going up to the bridge ,
first day out of Yokohama , dense fog , no radars on , and hearing a
Japanese fishing fleet all round us. Only one of the many frightening things.
That handover trip was a real eye opener.

Malky Glaister
24th July 2011, 11:01
Hand over trips were often eye openers. I am still surprised at the lack of serious shipping accidents, folk thrown in at the deep end. I handed over a few and took over some. One; Cast Puffin, from Hong Kong. No one on board had seen the engine run. I started her and off we went, out too sea with a typhoon about to clear the place! We never went back in. Exciting times!

regards Malky

John Gillespie
10th September 2013, 22:17
Brian ( MacManus).

Sailed with Captain Brian Simon McManus in Elder Dempsters in the 60's.Quite a character.