Singularity (F T Everard & Sons)

sarahdave
4th June 2011, 12:27
I am trying to find out if anyone knew my granfather Ronald Leitch Martin who served on Singularity (in the 50's and 60's we think).He was born in Glasgow in 1917 and died at sea in 1973.He was a Chief Engineer and had a family in Poole,Dorset.

plasma
4th June 2011, 13:03
I sailed with your grandfather on the Singularity in 1957. It was my first ship and was an eye opener. I was there for three months and he was a very fair man to work with but it was hard going and not as easy as deep sea. I had a walk round Greenhithe a couple years ago and got talking to the a man who had worked Everards for years and he told me that your grandfather had been lost at sea. The Singularity came into the Royal Docks London when I was working for the PLA in about the late sixties and I saw your grandfather on deck and I had a twinge of regret at not staying with Everards. I must say the men on the coasting ships worked a lot harder than deep sea. If you go to the picture gallery and type in Singularity there are several pictures of her and comments.
Mick

R58484956
4th June 2011, 18:22
Greetings Sarahdave and welcome to SN. Answers certainly come quick on this site. Bon voyage.

billyboy
4th June 2011, 22:41
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

sarahdave
5th June 2011, 11:36
I sailed with your grandfather on the Singularity in 1957. It was my first ship and was an eye opener. I was there for three months and he was a very fair man to work with but it was hard going and not as easy as deep sea. I had a walk round Greenhithe a couple years ago and got talking to the a man who had worked Everards for years and he told me that your grandfather had been lost at sea. The Singularity came into the Royal Docks London when I was working for the PLA in about the late sixties and I saw your grandfather on deck and I had a twinge of regret at not staying with Everards. I must say the men on the coasting ships worked a lot harder than deep sea. If you go to the picture gallery and type in Singularity there are several pictures of her and comments.
Mick
many thanks for that info I have been doin my family history as i knew nothing about anyone in my family so this info has been very useful i do have a photo of my mum [carol] on a ship called similarity, any more info would be very much appreciated sarah

sarahdave
5th June 2011, 21:53
many thanks for your reply ,i know nothing on my grandfarther ron martin so any info would be appreciated i do have a photo with my mum on board simularity. sarah

Graham Elliott
20th October 2012, 05:47
I am trying to find out if anyone knew my granfather Ronald Leitch Martin who served on Singularity (in the 50's and 60's we think).He was born in Glasgow in 1917 and died at sea in 1973.He was a Chief Engineer and had a family in Poole,Dorset.

The "Singularity" was my first ship in Everards, I sailed on her from 15/8 to 9/9/ 1960 carrying paper pulp from Lervik Norway to London then cement from Plymouth to Rochester. I can't remember Ron, my memories are mostly on the bridge where I spent most of my time.

greg mellor
27th December 2013, 07:12
Anyone who sailed on the Superiority in the sixties.
Real oddball crew but good fun.
Everards was an experience.