Ben Boats

wully farquhar
18th December 2005, 16:09
There seems to be an awful shortage of North Sea chinamen out there (EEK) (Read)

bert thompson
18th December 2005, 17:19
Hi
Does Northsea Chinamen refer to Ben Line. Always thought it referred to Shetland sailors. Qualify for the latter.
Regards Bert

wully farquhar
18th December 2005, 17:42
always thought it was ben boat men,but not sure

janbonde
18th December 2005, 17:59
Thought the same as you Bert Thompson

bert thompson
18th December 2005, 19:53
So many Shetlanders sailed with Ben Line.
Perhaps the name came from Ben Line originally or vice versa

albertwebster
19th December 2005, 01:35
Was a deckie on the
Benrinnes - October1955 to November 1955. (coastal voyage).
Benreoch - November 1955 to August 1956.
Benvrackie - August 1961 to October 1961. (coastal voyage).
Benvorlich - June 1963 to June 1964.
Benarmin - her maiden voyage, June 1964 to October 1964.
No I don't come from the Shetlands but from the Granite City.

Regards. albertwebster

bert thompson
19th December 2005, 11:48
ALBERTWEBSTER

Were you referred to as a North Sea Chinaman in Ben Line?Is the name common there or does it refer specially to Shetlanders?
Regards Bert

albertwebster
19th December 2005, 11:55
Sorry Bert. I can recall the expression North Sea Chinamen, but cant remember if it referred particularly to Shetlanders or to all Ben Line sailors from the East Coast, you see I signed off my last Ben Boat late 1964, when I 'swallowed the anchor', and my memory aint the same any more, but I am sure there are a lot of shipsnostalgia shipmates out there who can keep us right.

regards Albert Webster.

janbonde
19th December 2005, 17:01
hello Bert in my days it meant a Shetlander,know one or two from the Isles Black Bob, Whalsey Will John Anderson,Yell,Andrew Nisbet,Yell,Bob Manson,Yell,
John Hutchison, Vidlin,Tommy Sutherland,Vidlin, and a few more i cannot remember at the moment

bert thompson
19th December 2005, 17:45
From Yell but do not recognise all of the names. Think Bob Manson was Master with Bowaters and ended his career as a Pilot at Sullom Voe. I may very well be wrong as it is fifty years since I resided in Yell and the memory box isn't so good these days.

janbonde
19th December 2005, 20:54
Bert Thompson Hi yes Bob was with Bowaters,also with Nigerian National Line that guy had more tickets than anybody told me he went to sea in the galley,got his Cooks ticket,then decided to go on deck.From there he got his AB`s ticket,then went to get his Masters ticket.His father was a home-trade master I believe.Will John was the son of a crofter who owned a couple of the islands at the south end of Yell.Andrew Nisbet comes from Cullivoe he was with Clan Line would be in his early fifties about now.i did know a Tommy Thompson he was an AB but what part of Shetland I do not Know,awful of names ending in son over there in the Islands. One other was big Jim Nicholson he was Master with Salvesons,he was from the west side of Shetland,just think it will soon be their big night next month

errolsmith
19th December 2005, 21:19
Hi all

If these name are the ones I know, then :-

Bob Manson is a retired pilot at Sullom Voe and still here in shetland.

Will John Anderson is master on the tugs at Sullom Voe.

Andrew Nisbet is a serving pilot at Sullom Voe.

Tommy Thompson and Black Bob are retired GPRs, tugs Sullom Voe.

Jim Nicholson retired as Deputy Harbour Master, Sullom Voe, some year ago.

John Hutchison was on the pilot boats at Sullom Voe, now retired.

Hope this is of some help to you.

bert thompson
19th December 2005, 21:21
Met Jim Nicholson when he was assistant harbour master at Seaham Harbour. Then believe that he went to Sullom Voe. Eight of us met at a club in South Shields and remember Jim saying the order would be a gallon of beer,but that is a different story.

errolsmith
19th December 2005, 21:26
As you can see there are a few Ben Line around Sullom Voe, I think Zander Simpson was another ex ben line man, that is on the tugs.

Derek Roger
19th December 2005, 21:34
Anyone sail with John " Puffer " Smith from Lerwick ?

wully farquhar
19th December 2005, 22:17
Maybe It Was Lads That Were On The Aberdeen Pool (*))

firey
19th December 2005, 22:38
Hi all

If these name are the ones I know, then :-

Bob Manson is a retired pilot at Sullom Voe and still here in shetland.

Will John Anderson is master on the tugs at Sullom Voe.

Andrew Nisbet is a serving pilot at Sullom Voe.

Tommy Thompson and Black Bob are retired GPRs, tugs Sullom Voe.

Jim Nicholson retired as Deputy Harbour Master, Sullom Voe, some year ago.

John Hutchison was on the pilot boats at Sullom Voe, now retired.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Errol have you ever bumped into Ted Stout ex mate Anchor line ,moved to vidlin and was working as a loading surveyor at Sullom Voe last I knew.

Regards

Firey

R58484956
20th December 2005, 13:02
Welcome Errol to the site enjoy all it has to offer and a merry christmas to you.

bert thompson
20th December 2005, 18:41
Errol Hi
Would you by any chance have any info on James Mouat. Think he was connected with Sullom Voe. Believe that his late father Captain Mouat took the first cargo out of Port Churchill in one of Dalgleish's ships.
Regards and best wishes for Christmas.

errolsmith
20th December 2005, 19:16
Errol have you ever bumped into Ted Stout ex mate Anchor line ,moved to vidlin and was working as a loading surveyor at Sullom Voe last I knew.

Regards

Firey
Firey

I am sorry to say Ted died suddenly a couple of years ago, he was a loading supervisor at Sullom Voe. His brother Andy is master on the tugs.

errolsmith
20th December 2005, 19:20
Errol Hi
Would you by any chance have any info on James Mouat. Think he was connected with Sullom Voe. Believe that his late father Captain Mouat took the first cargo out of Port Churchill in one of Dalgleish's ships.
Regards and best wishes for Christmas.
Hi bert, the name doesnt ring a bell. There are a couple of Mouats at sullom, off the top of my head, Walter, Terry and Tony.

All the best for Christmas to all.

bert thompson
20th December 2005, 20:07
Wully Farquhar.
Guess we will never know and that is great. Thanks for starting this very very interesting post.
Best wishes for Christmas and good health and happiness in 2006
Bert

wully farquhar
20th December 2005, 21:09
Cheers Bert, and have nice festive. Wully.

janbonde
20th December 2005, 21:59
Hi Errol did that Zander you named have a brother who was a Master called Alec

muldonaich
21st December 2005, 07:31
northsea chinamen was a term used for the shelties that sailed with blue funnel line and there was plenty of them regards kev.

errolsmith
21st December 2005, 16:33
Hi Errol did that Zander you named have a brother who was a Master called Alec
Hi janbonde, Alec was master and served on the tugs at sullom before retiring, not sure if Zander and him are brothers, will ask when I see them next :)

janbonde
21st December 2005, 20:42
Hi Errol thanks for reply ,are you getting hyped up for Up Helly Aa,and your little slogan do weel is that the guy of P & O fame

errolsmith
21st December 2005, 23:48
Hi Errol thanks for reply ,are you getting hyped up for Up Helly Aa,and your little slogan do weel is that the guy of P & O fame
Not done Up Helly Aa for years, just take the kids to the procession. Keeps the wife happy ;)

You are correct on the quote, I try to heed the advice.

Out on the pi** with a ben line man last night - Jimmy Sinclair, AB, then sparky now a Coastguard Watch Manager.

dnobmal
22nd December 2005, 20:49
Hello Errol is this the young fella who used to help out in Conochies paper shop in Lerwick at the week-ends when he was still at school I have just joined the site and saw your name.Do you still bide up da lanes in Lerwick,and where was your p****p in da Lounge[keep guessing]

EBenarty
22nd December 2005, 21:22
Hi Derek,
Are you the same Derek who was up for his Chiefs ticket in Aberdeen in 1972 and that Christmas took a drill ship from Aberdeen to the Tyne and broke your leg on the trip ? If so you will remember - Mel Bertram, Colin Smith, Duncan Cursitor, John Leslie, George MacConnachie you and I who made up the magnificent 7 !!!!
Regards,
Billy Sinclair

errolsmith
22nd December 2005, 23:18
Hello Errol is this the young fella who used to help out in Conochies paper shop in Lerwick at the week-ends when he was still at school I have just joined the site and saw your name.Do you still bide up da lanes in Lerwick,and where was your p****p in da Lounge[keep guessing]
Hello there, nearly right.
Worked in Peters DIY shop next door (left) to Conochies.
Mum still stays up Pitt Lane, dad lost out to the Big C 3 year ago.
Now for the Lounge, not sure what you mean, worried though :)

Derek Roger
22nd December 2005, 23:33
Yes Billy I am the very same "chentleman " . I dont remember all the names but I do remember the afternoons in the Harbour Bar Lounge . Was Colin Smith "Puffer " ? ( I remembered his name as John ) mind you he never used it ; always Puffer : from Lerwick ; his mother had a boarding house or Inn down by the pier somewhere . Most of the lads were Shelties or from the Western Isles ( One was from Rassay ; Orinsay and christ knows where else )
I have been summoned by She Who Must Be Obeyed to dinner so will scratch my brain and get bach to you .
Derek ( Ex Inverness )

dnobmal
23rd December 2005, 20:34
Sorry about the shop mix-up its my age ,remember now Peter was on the life-boat is he still around.regarding the venue for your P****p ,the bar Hughie Robertson used to have just up the lane from the Cross,i thought it was the lounge , I know all the other establishments in town been in them all .Jim Sinclair he built a house just off the main road north of Cunnisbourgh near Fladdabister,his bro was on the Clair,a large family of them,only three boys the other was Alec i think all the rest are girls.one was wed to Tom Stove,and he was in bizz with him in the Tv shop is that right.I see a fellow was asking after A.Simpson,his bro was laurie he was on deck with the tugs,it was not Zander.Another Ben Boat man was or is Olaf Gall,and before your time a fellow called Ross who was Skipper he went Sooth to Dover I believe on the voith tugs[keep guessing]

Derek Roger
23rd December 2005, 21:45
Duncan Cursitor was if my memory serves me well was from Sanday . I see the faces and remember the names but will need some help in puttuing them together . Duncans girlfriend of the day was the cook at the Tech.

Remenber being at a bash at the Aberdeen University Student Union with Ally Bain as the main act . We all met Ally in the pub and got on the " Goldies " Ally was well pissed before he went on stage ( The crowd was chanting Ally Ally etc . he eventually left for his gig and I think we stayed in the pub ). Party afterwards and last thing I remember was Ally giving it Laldie on the Fiddle ( He was sitting on the floor propped up by the wall and eyes firmly shut ! Im sure he was fast asleep !! Fiddle still giving it hell .

That was one long weekend as I remember ( Wonder any of us ever got our tickets )
Derek

errolsmith
24th December 2005, 09:39
Sorry about the shop mix-up its my age ,remember now Peter was on the life-boat is he still around.regarding the venue for your P****p ,the bar Hughie Robertson used to have just up the lane from the Cross,i thought it was the lounge , I know all the other establishments in town been in them all .Jim Sinclair he built a house just off the main road north of Cunnisbourgh near Fladdabister,his bro was on the Clair,a large family of them,only three boys the other was Alec i think all the rest are girls.one was wed to Tom Stove,and he was in bizz with him in the Tv shop is that right.I see a fellow was asking after A.Simpson,his bro was laurie he was on deck with the tugs,it was not Zander.Another Ben Boat man was or is Olaf Gall,and before your time a fellow called Ross who was Skipper he went Sooth to Dover I believe on the voith tugs[keep guessing]
Hi
Peter died 5 or more years ago.
Yes know the lounge well, was a bit slow decrypting the asterix between the Ps. Were we on the ran-dan in the lounge? Intrigued.
Your info on Jim S is correct.
Laurie, yes I remember now, think Zander is the same clan though.
As for Olaf, he will be my skipper next 4 day shift, between Christmas and New Year. Micheal Jamieson is my normal skipper, another ben line man!
Ross as you said must have been before my time.
More clues!!!!!

bert thompson
24th December 2005, 15:09
Errol
All this talk of Conochies and Lounge is making me homesick if that is possible after being away for sixty years. I remember when the Lounge was a cafe. Used to pass it every night on the way up from the "Street" to lodgings in King Harold Street.(No22).
Please give my regards to Robin Hunter and hope he will call again when in this area.
Bimbo(Willie Anderson) stayed with us when he attended South Shields Marine College. Unfortunately he is no longer with us but his photo is on my mantlepiece and seems to belong there. What a nice person he was.
Thanks to Wully for starting this post and think it will be renamed "The Shetland Post"
Have a good Christmas and a Happy and healthy New Year.

Bert (Probably still known in Yell as Hubert but got abbreviated a long time ago)

errolsmith
24th December 2005, 15:50
Hi Hubert,
Yes Bimbo was and is a miss, was on with him a good few times in the distant past.
I will pass on your regards to Robin on wednesday.
Have you a Good Christmas and a very Happy New Year

EBenarty
27th December 2005, 18:46
Hi Derek,
It was Gordon Puffer Smith. The last I heard of him was that he was on the tugs in Sullom Voe.
Colin Smith was from Cullen , he used to wear white Pringle jerseys which by the end of the night was rum coloured with the reddies!!! He was with Bank Line and came home to college after a 2 year trip and went to Harpers garage under the weather and said "Give me that green Capri" They thought he was joking, it was a Saturday and he wanted it in 3 hours and got it , mainly due to the ready cash. You remember we used to get paid off cash in hand!!
But the first night he had the car , he parked in the multi storey beside Dougie Argos bar. Next day he arrived at my flat asking if I KNEW WHERE THE CAR WAS !!
Anyway we headed to Argos bar and Christine the barmaid said "Here are your keys" We hunted the carpark for at least an hour without knowing the car number plate but eventually found it.
Billy

EBenarty
27th December 2005, 18:58
Derek,
I rememberthat night well !! And also remember waking up with my suit still on at 0700 and Aly started playing again and poured out the deams - Phil Cunningham was there also with the accordian !!
Billy

EBenarty
27th December 2005, 19:12
Hi Errol,
Are you the same bloke who was mate on the Sullom tugs and worked part time for MCA .if so we have met and yalked a bit. I was on the Englishman!!
Regards,
Billy Sinclair

errolsmith
27th December 2005, 21:43
Thats me mate, still working away. Who were you with, were you mate?
Leo got the skippers on the Sovereign, did you know? She is due to takeover the ETV role today or tomorrow from the Earl.
I dont remember a Gordon Smith on the Tugs in my 20 years - o the years they pass so fast :)

Derek Roger
27th December 2005, 22:20
Billy ;
I remember the squeeze box : didnt know it was Phil Cunningham ! I buy his CDS now . Didnt realise I was in the presence of the Great ( my brother will be most impressed; hes a big fan ) ?
Thanks ! Puffer was of course Gordon . The last I heard of him was that he was in Kiwi ( I got that from a friend and neighbour of my brothers in Inverness ; she coincidentally is a cousin of Ally Bain ; Tis a wee world .)
Where was the Argos ?? I was thinking of the Harbour bar Lounge ? Owner / Barman had a wooden leg .
Derek
Derek

EBenarty
28th December 2005, 13:54
Argos was The Harbour Bar and the owner Dougie Argo had a wooden leg, he was at sea before he lost his leg.

Derek Roger
28th December 2005, 17:04
Dougie would shut the bar at 2.30 pm and open again at 5 . Sometimes he would "lock us in " when we had dropped in for a lunch time pint ; we would keep a list of drinks and settle up with him when he came back to open up ! We must have been very Trustworthy . Somehow those afternoons passed quickley and we concluded they were more pleasent than the college .

Do you remember the fisherman who had a wooden leg also ? Lost it at sea and was always trying to get signed on again ; sometimes he did manage it until they found out ; poor fellow really missed the sea and always drinking his sorrows .

He was at our table one night in the Argos and fell asleep with his head on the table . We tightenen up the shoulder straps to his leg and gave the table a wallop !!! Up came his head like a rocket ! So did his leg which kicked over the table . Poor bugger then tried to stand up and went flat on his face .
Cruel bunch the Magnificent 7 ( well those chinamen of the group anyway ) I think it was Duncans idea ??
Derek

dnobmal
28th December 2005, 19:49
Hello Earl still at it ,I thought you were going on watch between the holidays Xmas/NYear,du has perservered lang enough ,now you ken who the mystery man is why not start a thread relating to Shetland and folk we have sailed or met up with must be a lot out there.I have never heard of a Douglas Smith on the tugs only Jim who was our head of state Convener and yourself of course,the Robin mentioned is that the wee engineer a union man who came from Unst but lived in Lerwick or Bressay,before that he lived down the south mainland not too far from me,near the Crofting Museum.had a look at your pics on your site Charlie has not changed at all just a bit more grey,he has led a full and varied career What about the one who started the Falklands war as the crack went at the time as he was jailed in BA on the way there to take up a job when it started Ian Hughson is he still around I believe he was from Yell Hear from you soon LEFO PS the term north sea chinamen when I was sailing was never used to address anyone as it was fighting language with any that I sailed with

EBenarty
28th December 2005, 19:55
Derek,
That was Duncans cousin!!! Do you remamber the night we sent Jimma home in a taxi without his leg!! And the next day we all hunted for it . Eventually Dougie produced it from behind the bar saying it did not fit him properly. Fine I remember the shut ins I remember him saying "You lot are not taking yopur change" Which was true if a round came to 2 .70 we would leave 3.
Billy

EBenarty
28th December 2005, 20:08
Magnificent 7 eh? And you blamed the Duke for that cruel trick? Shame on you!
Liz

Derek Roger
28th December 2005, 21:57
The more I think on it the more I remember ; after all it was only about 72 / 73 .
I saw you lot off on the St Clair at Christmas . Puffer tried to get me stowed away and join the gang In Lerwick for the holiday . I managed to get ashore just before she cast off !
I think I stayed in Aberdeen that Xmas as my folks were in South Africa or Kiwi and had rented our house as they were away for about a year . I think thats when I took the 1St Engineers run job on the Glomar 3 to Shields . Paid 100 pound for a days work which was good as I think I was getting 140 a month with Brocklebanks .
If you look in my posts theres a thread where I tell the story of the brocken leg ( favorite watering holes )
It saved my life as the chap who replaced me ( I was asked to stay on permanently ) was a chap doing his chiefs ticket in Shields . He was killed on the way down to Dualla West Africa . (Gas bottles got mixed up in London during recharging ) and when he was starting the Air Conditioning unit and went to charge it with some more freon he charged with oxygen and the whole thing blew up >
There but for the Grace of God go I
Derek

Derek Roger
28th December 2005, 22:00
Liz I assume you are the better half of Billy ? Derek

EBenarty
28th December 2005, 22:27
Hi Errol,
I was with Ben Line for 10 years then Wimpey,Salvesen,Seaforth, Jebsens Offshore,Dennisson,Union Transport,
Specialist Marine Services and now V ships.
Hope you are well and recovering from Xmas and getting ready for New Year then Up Helly Ha !!
Regards Billy

EBenarty
28th December 2005, 22:33
<I assume you are the better half of Billy ?>

:-))))
Well. I can't have made that much of an impression:-)) Remember Park Street?

EBenarty
28th December 2005, 22:58
Hi Wully,
Were you on the Ben Cruachan, Lawersor Vrackie wae me and the Wee beast - Namely Willie MacGregor from Royal Terrace - Thurso
Billy the Orcadian

EBenarty
28th December 2005, 23:06
Derek .
I remember this story !! You were lucky or it may never have happened if you were there !!! We will never know.
Billy

wully farquhar
28th December 2005, 23:16
ahoy ebenarty, i sailed with wully magregor on the lomond, he now lives in Buckie been retired a long time now.Inever knew his nick-name was the wee beast but i can understand why.my brother also sailed with him on the Valla,aye the one that was built in the sixties. Cheers Wully

Derek Roger
28th December 2005, 23:56
When I had my brocken leg and just geting around on crutches you lot talked me into the Dance at the Highlanders which was I think above the Douglas Hotel . Great night but I think the 7 ( well 6 of the 7 ) were up to no good and telling the lassies to ask me up . . Every girl in the dam place wanted to dance and I did my best ; leg was killing me .
Ended the night with me trying to do a sword dance with ma crutches crossed .
Leg / ankle was up like a fitba the next day . Thanks lads .
Derek

The crack was great in those days . Aberdeen being one of the good spots before the offshore spoiled it.

wully farquhar
29th December 2005, 13:51
Well at least you gave a try although you would have regretted it next day (Applause)

Derek Roger
29th December 2005, 16:54
I went to school in Dundee with Derek Watson ;his father was Chief Eng with Ben line at the time . Derek also went to Ben Line and I think also made Chief ; any of you Chinamen know him ?? Derek
PS When is Up Helly Ah ?

peteratow
8th February 2006, 20:55
Anyone sail with John " Puffer " Smith from Lerwick ?
Good mates with a Gordon Smith who is also known as "Puffer", from Lerwick. He lives in Auckland. NZ. Has his masters, foreign going, but is now retired. We keep in touch on a regular basis by email.

Makari
13th March 2006, 12:00
There seems to be an awful shortage of North Sea chinamen out there (EEK) (Read)

There are hundreds Willy! North Sea Chinamen was a term used for Shetland seamen who sailed with the Ben Line, Ben Line was full of original Chinamen and the North Sea type! (Thumb)

EBenarty
25th March 2006, 21:01
Anyone know of Harry Nutten the Chippy from Torry, he served on the Benlawers from 1944 -1968 then went to the brand new Bencruachan

EBenarty
25th March 2006, 21:51
We took the famous retired Captain J.C.Harvey ( Ex Benarmin ) as passenger, when he was going out to the Far East to do a documentary for BBC about the British Empire.
Captain Donald Cowie said treat him as a passenger and only allow him on the bridge with his permission, as Donald said 'he gave me hell , now my turn '. I remember J.C. coming to the bridge on my watch one afternoon and told him that he was not allowed on the Captains orders.to which he replied 'Can I sneek up after midnight' I gave the ok and got on great wih him and he tod me a lot about his life!! He admitted he was a total b******d and regretted it.
I told Captain Donald Cowie later about him and he agreed but said he was behind in his times but he could not forget it !!

wully farquhar
25th March 2006, 22:40
Sailed with Chas. Donnely on the Arty Mr Magill on the Loyal and Danny Sinclair on the Lomond with Wully Magregor as bosun, she was a good job,and of course i cannot forget captain Macphee on the Venue the best of all,but really they were all good jobs and good crowds (*)) (Night)

thunderd
26th March 2006, 00:03
In the fifties does anyone remember Capt. Copeman on the Vrackie, he was a very jovial man and ran a very tight ship. Then there was Capt. Lumsden on the Attow, she had a Chinese crew and he was a grumpy old so and so.

dom
31st March 2006, 03:57
not a ben boat man,but do any of you know cambell williamson from up your way,he was with paddy hendersons

Makari
31st March 2006, 07:31
Hi Dom, I know a Cambell Williamson very well, if its the same one he sailed in the 1950s period, he is still knocking around and spends his summers in his motor boat, usually getting as far as the mainland Scottish coast, a couple years back he was involved in quite a few call outs for the R.N.L.I. he had some breakdowns etc, all the best. Mac

dom
31st March 2006, 07:48
could be,thats the time i'am talking about.he sailed as ab then sat his tickets,joined paddy hendersons,was allways on to me to sit for mine,did so but never used them

Makari
31st March 2006, 10:15
Probably the same one, I think he ended up as Captain in his sea going days, it its the same one, he now lives in the Shetland Is. If you want I can give him a message, just say who you are and I will pass it on to him, all the best, Mac.

corydoras
1st June 2006, 14:35
I went to school in Dundee with Derek Watson ;his father was Chief Eng with Ben line at the time . Derek also went to Ben Line and I think also made Chief ; any of you Chinamen know him ?? Derek
PS When is Up Helly Ah ?
I sailed with a Cheif Engineer called Willy Watson on the Benhope in 1984, but he was from Tyneside somewhere.

Derek Roger
1st June 2006, 16:13
I dont remember Dereks fathers name but his nickname was " Plugtap "

corydoras
1st June 2006, 17:24
I dont remember Dereks fathers name but his nickname was " Plugtap "
I think that must be him. The nickname rings a bell. I was on the Benhope when she hit a reef at the bottom of the Gulf of Aqaba. He was the Chief Engineer. I think he was also on the Jeddah Crown.

roymuir
18th June 2006, 14:53
Thank Christ someone finally used the term "Shelties"! Have never known ONE of them known as a Shetlander. Will it be Orkneyer next or Orcadian? Onya lads!

roymuir
18th June 2006, 15:00
Shetlanders!, where the hell did this term come from? Always ever known the gentlemen as Shelties. Orkneyers next I s'pose! Instead of Orcadians. Come on Robbie Manson, Jimmy Jamieson, Rodger Goudie, Ian McKay... where are you now? None of you were short of a word in the past !!! Love ya's all!

terryfilson
18th April 2008, 09:24
Does anybody have a crew list for the Ben Cruachan between 17/10/77 and 26/06/78. And would anyone know the port call of voyage 27.

spongebob
18th April 2008, 14:16
Did any of you Ben Line mariners ever sail with an old friend of mine Jim Donn.
Jim was a Kiwi engineer that spent a couple of years with Ben Line in the early/mid fifties

jg grant
2nd September 2008, 02:49
Tenakwe! re the North sea Chinaman. This is the story as I was told it. A Ben boat left Leith during WW1 and was torpedoed off the Fife coast.The survivors, mainly Chinese were asked where they came from and the reply was Leith abnd the expression was born. Thus the term North sea Chinaman actually refers to someone on Leith pool. Regards Ronnie