Hi from New Zealand

GlennysF
5th June 2011, 11:40
Hi all,

I came across your site while looking for a photograph of a ship I sailed on with my husband, more years ago than I care to remember. I found one too, so many thanks to the person who posted it.

This looks like an interesting and fun site, so if you don't mind a wife hanging around a bit I'd be delighted to stick around.

linerrich
5th June 2011, 12:10
Greetings and Welcome Aboard!

Rich

trotterdotpom
5th June 2011, 12:17
Hi all,

I came across your site while looking for a photograph of a ship I sailed on with my husband, more years ago than I care to remember. I found one too, so many thanks to the person who posted it.

This looks like an interesting and fun site, so if you don't mind a wife hanging around a bit I'd be delighted to stick around.

Welcome Glennys, What ship? Where bound?

John T

GlennysF
5th June 2011, 12:30
Hi John,

It was the Cairnventure. Cairn Line was a Shaw Savill subsiduary. This particular trip I accompanied him on was around the Med and up to Archangel.

My husband mostly sailed with Shaw Savill, the ships he was on included the Cymric, Amalric, Suevic, Alaric, Aramaic and a pile more. As the song went, Fred saw his face and he was a reliever for a year, so there were a load of ships he was only on for short times.

trotterdotpom
5th June 2011, 13:04
Thanks Glennys ... a lot of us were only there for short times! I'm reminded of the Garden of Culture in Settlement 27 at Archangel.

Enjoy the site.

John T

R58484956
5th June 2011, 15:33
Greetings Glennys and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

billyboy
5th June 2011, 23:43
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Don Matheson
6th June 2011, 00:32
Welcome to SN, strange that we have two women from NZ join around the same time. Hope you enjoy the site. Did you find any more photos of the Cairnventure?

Don

spongebob
6th June 2011, 01:16
A welcome to you both, good to see the Kiwi contingent building up.

Bob

GlennysF
6th June 2011, 03:12
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

Don, I found a couple and that was enough. I just wanted to remind myself that I was once young enough and foolish enough to go to sea on a little ship like that. It just shows what young love will lead you to.

I don't think I noticed another NZ woman joining the site. I'll have to go looking for her.

jg grant
6th June 2011, 04:22
Hi Glennys, from North shore jafaland and welcome to the site. Regards Ronnie ex Cairn line among others.

jg grant
7th June 2011, 06:18
Hi again, there is a photograph of SHIPMAIR111 ex Cairnventure in my copy of,'Nautical tales beyond Leith, picture is courtesy of Fotoflite. Regards Ronnie

GlennysF
7th June 2011, 07:18
Hi Ronnie, thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Actually, memories of my trip have come flooding back. Lots of laughs but plenty of trouble too, probably because with me as supernumary that made 13 on board!

I'm also a Jafa, despite all my years down in Dunnos. I guess you can take the girl out of Auckland but you can't take Auckland out of the girl. I've got plenty of happy memories of Saturday afternoons in the Great Northern and (shamefacedly) some very drunken times down in the Snake Pit.

Oz.
7th June 2011, 07:56
Welcome GlennysF from Melbourne. Dont be shamefaced about the Great Northern or the snakepit, many here shared your times there, sadly, I didn't.

GlennysF
7th June 2011, 08:07
Hi Oz. Thanks for the welcome. I'm not shamefaced about my times in the Great Northern or any of the other pubs I frequented, but the Snake Pit was something else again. The worst of all is that my friends and I got banned out of it and we never knew why. A group of the young "ladies" who used to sail around the coast on one ship after another took a violent disliking to us (officers' molls as they called us), and started a riot throwing jugs at us etc. We scarpered but next time we visited we were politely told by the barman that we'd been banned.

DURANGO
7th June 2011, 09:08
Hi Oz. Thanks for the welcome. I'm not shamefaced about my times in the Great Northern or any of the other pubs I frequented, but the Snake Pit was something else again. The worst of all is that my friends and I got banned out of it and we never knew why. A group of the young "ladies" who used to sail around the coast on one ship after another took a violent disliking to us (officers' molls as they called us), and started a riot throwing jugs at us etc. We scarpered but next time we visited we were politely told by the barman that we'd been banned.

The snake pit was that not the South Pacific next to the post office great times in there back in the good old days and of course who could ever forget the Great Northern my younger brother was with me in the Suevic back in 65 , he is taking his family back to New Zealand in january 2012 for a visit he wants me to tag along but I think I will keep my memories as they are regards Dave

GlennysF
7th June 2011, 09:25
Hi Dave,

Yep, the Snake Pit was the downstairs bar in the South Pacific. The carpet was black and squelched with spilled beer when you walked over it. We had some good times there, and a lot of laughs in the Great Northern as well, where I became famous for eating the flowers from the vase on the table. As you can tell, I was a bit of an idiot in my young days.

My husband was on the Suevic when he proposed to me, but it was a few years after your time. Good memories of a great ship.

I think you'd find Auckland much changed these days. Now, when I go up to visit my sister and friends I can only think how happy I am that I don't live there. The traffic would drive me nuts.

Binnacle
7th June 2011, 11:24
I gathered that the Cairnventure was a "Danielsen Double Decker". Don't know if this is a record but it changed names nine times :-

74 SHIPMAIR II - 76 PASSAAT SANTOS - 77 ERIC - 79 GHADAMES - 86 ALEXIA - 90 STAR QUEEN - 92 VEDIA - 92 SHEREEN A. - 96 MEHMET ASLAN.
Had rather an unhappy end
"Ran over the pier at Bourgas 7.11.97 & abandoned as a total loss"

Sailed on two of those ships, Voreda & Virgilia, traded as GlennysF says, E. Med/N. Russia.

Nazdarovya

trotterdotpom
7th June 2011, 11:43
An abiding memory of the Snakepit is of a handsome young woman with a midget on her shoulders! Was that you, Glennys? The woman, not the midget that is.

I'd never heard the term "Jafa" and had to look it up. Doesn't fit in with my experience, Glennys.

John T

jg grant
7th June 2011, 13:56
Hi , snake pit, six foot six trannies in high heels knocking seven bells out of each other. The jugs and glasses were plastic. Before it's time actually. Then there was Ma Gleesons. Blurdy hell . Ronnie

Alex Salmond
7th June 2011, 14:05
[QUOTE=jg grant;517027]. The jugs were plastic.

Ron,
Did they have Silicon implants in those days ? I,ll take your word for it though you sound like a man of wide experience

Alex Salmond
7th June 2011, 14:08
An abiding memory of the Snakepit is of a handsome young woman with a midget on her shoulders! Was that you, Glennys? The woman, not the midget that is.

I'd never heard the term "Jafa" and had to look it up. Doesn't fit in with my experience, Glennys.

John T

John
Woman with midget on shoulders??? ehhh you hadnt partaken of any illicit substances had you i was in there a few times but i never did see that hmm interesting...

trotterdotpom
7th June 2011, 14:44
Nothing illegal, Alex - but probably a few buckets of that crap Leopard beer that fortunately seems to have disappeared.

The midget in question pounced on the girl from a table top as she walked past. She didn't seem to care and he stayed there for quite a while displaying an interest in jugs not of the beer kind. Hilarious. There was a rumour going round that he was the 8th Dwarf - Dosey.

John T

GlennysF
7th June 2011, 19:43
Thanks for the information, Binnacle. That was a sad end to the old girl, but seems to fit in with her rather checkered career.

John, I think I'd be more likely to be carrying a parrot on my shoulder, rather than a midget. Can't say I ever heard of the incident but it certainly fits with the general tenor of the place.

Ronnie, I never made it to Ma Gleesons but I heard a few hair raising tales about it.

jg grant
8th June 2011, 12:26
Alex yes#21 but some of them may have been plastic jugs to the head which stuck, Not kidding, the best way to go down there was to order a beer and keep your head down and mutter and mumble into it. The entertainment was amazing and free. Other places at the time were, Ma Gleesons, De Bretts in Shortland street, also known as the house of the twisted faces or the muppets bar. I had a two year contract withe THC , tourist hotel corporation, in case you think of something else. Got a flat in Mt Eden when my contract finished and took my wife into town to the Great Northern.Walked in to the public and saw all these mincing people. Bar'man' said, we don't serve ladies in here'.Eff me, you only serve blokes who act like ladies. Personally I blame rugby, there's got to be something wrong with x amount of blokes romping around in mud and groping each other. Regards Ronnie

jg grant
9th June 2011, 12:33
hi just remembered the public bar in the GN was called the lily pond. Didn't know that when we walked in.Ronnie

GlennysF
9th June 2011, 22:29
I don't even remember a public bar in the GN. All I remember is the lounge bar with the potted palms and some old duck playing on the piano. Happy days, or daze, depending on the time.

Does anyone remember the Station Hotel? In the days of 6 o'clock closing it sold meal tickets. For about 10 bob you'd get a couple of dry old sandwiches and the right to stay drinking until 10 pm or so. There would be a mad stampede out of the pubs at 6 and a dash up the hill to be in time to get one of the meal tickets.