Hello from New Zealand

swangirl
5th June 2011, 23:20
A month ago I moved to a house high on a hill above Otago Harbour and I am fascinated watching the shipping come and go. A cargo ship just came by. It was called St Lucia so I came to the net to try and find out something about it. I came across this site. Still haven't found out anything about the St Lucia but I am glad to find this site which looks really interesting.

billyboy
5th June 2011, 23:41
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Don Matheson
6th June 2011, 00:29
Welcome to SN. Hope you enjoy this great site and hope you will join in when you can. Usually helps if you can find the port of registry with the name but I am sure someone on here will know.
My son lives in Queenstown which I believe isnt so far from Otago.

Don

Don Matheson
6th June 2011, 00:37
Was your St Lucia, a big white cargo ship with NYKCOOL on the side?
If so there are a couple of photos in the cargo section of the Gallery.
Hope this helps

Don

swangirl
6th June 2011, 00:54
Thank you for the welcomes, and yes, Don, I live about three hours drive from Queenstown. Thanks, but it was a mid-sized red ship. There are only two or threee cargo ship movements a day it seems. Most ships in this vicinity go to the container port at Port Chalmers. I guess the ones coming up the harbour to Dunedin itself are carrying grain and perishables or colllecting fertiliser, etc. I guess there must be a way of finding out shipping movements around NZ and that way I would be able to find out where the ships come from.Does anyone know about how to do this ?

On a different note, I talked to someone a couple of months ago who said that you can go for trips on cargo ships, as a lot of them have four or five cabins for fee-paying passengers, and that travelling this way means that you can go to places that normal cruise ships don't go to.

Does anyone have any information on this please ?

duncan montgomery
6th June 2011, 01:17
Swangirl St lucia is a lpg tanker if you want to find out shipping moves in the Otago harbour go to www.portotago.co.nz cheers Duncan

Reef Knot
6th June 2011, 01:19
Hey Swangirl! Your interest is sure to develop if you frequent this site - the guys are great and VERY knowledgeable. You may also like to go to http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ and follow the coming and going of ships in your area. Also very interesting - I use it to keep track of my son! (*))

I know that when my boy was a cadet, they did carry passengers but I seem to recall that that has changed. Someone here will know.

Welcome. Have fun! (Thumb)

Butters
6th June 2011, 02:53
Welcome to the site from sunny Hawkes Bay- there are still quite a few of the container ships that call at New Zealand ports which take passengers - usually only two or four . I have spoken with a few on ships at Napier and they are always glad to go ashore for a few hours here as many ports do not now allow shore leave .

Regards
Butters
(Lindsay Butterfield)

Reef Knot
6th June 2011, 03:04
I have spoken with a few on ships at Napier and they are always glad to go ashore for a few hours here as many ports do not now allow shore leave .That's a surprise to me. Why would that be and since when?

GlennysF
6th June 2011, 03:20
Hi Swangirl,

I'm in Dunedin too (Belleknowes), but unfortunately have no sea view unless I stand on the bed in one of the back rooms and then I get to see about 2 inches of blue.

A friend of mine did a trip with her husband on a container ship a few years ago (he'd been cargo manager down at the container terminal and it was a farewell gift from the company). She hated it. They were only in port for hours at a time and usually had no time to go ashore. It wasn't the best way to see the world.

R58484956
6th June 2011, 13:05
Greetings Swangirl and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

swangirl
7th June 2011, 12:15
Swangirl St lucia is a lpg tanker if you want to find out shipping moves in the Otago harbour go to www.portotago.co.nz cheers Duncan
Thanks Duncan. I will be able to check out any ships I see coming in or out now.

sparkie2182
7th June 2011, 12:21
This may be of interest Swangirl...........

http://www.strandtravelltd.co.uk/voyages/destinations-and-prices/search-results.aspx?searchType=CountryID&StartID=5&EndID=13

and this one is N.Z. based............

http://www.freightertravel.co.nz/

swangirl
7th June 2011, 12:21
Hey Swangirl! Your interest is sure to develop if you frequent this site - the guys are great and VERY knowledgeable. You may also like to go to http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ and follow the coming and going of ships in your area. Also very interesting - I use it to keep track of my son! (*))

I know that when my boy was a cadet, they did carry passengers but I seem to recall that that has changed. Someone here will know.

Welcome. Have fun! (Thumb)
Thanks Reef Knot. I think I am going to have fun on this site. When I was a kid I went to England and back on the Rangitikei and the Ruahine ( both NZ Shipping Co I think ) and looking at these ships has given me the taste of the sea again - the smell of salt and paint and the constant beat of the engine, and the white wake. Lovely ! Funny how in those days it was the cheap way to travel and going by air was for people with money.

swangirl
7th June 2011, 12:25
Hi Swangirl,

I'm in Dunedin too (Belleknowes), but unfortunately have no sea view unless I stand on the bed in one of the back rooms and then I get to see about 2 inches of blue.

A friend of mine did a trip with her husband on a container ship a few years ago (he'd been cargo manager down at the container terminal and it was a farewell gift from the company). She hated it. They were only in port for hours at a time and usually had no time to go ashore. It wasn't the best way to see the world.
Hi Glennys,

What a dag ! I could probably wave to you and you could see me if you had an extremely good telescope.

That doesn't sound like too good a way to travel when you describe it like that. A friend told me that an elderly widower she knows goes on these trips and they have really great food and nice cabins and go to interesting places that you wouldn't normally get to, so maybe there are cargo ships and then there are cargo ships !

swangirl
7th June 2011, 12:41
This may be of interest Swangirl...........

http://www.strandtravelltd.co.uk/voyages/destinations-and-prices/search-results.aspx?searchType=CountryID&StartID=5&EndID=13

and this one is N.Z. based............

http://www.freightertravel.co.nz/
Wow, that is an interesting site thanks. I thought the BBQ where all and sundry got swamped by a big wave sounded interesting ! I was also surprised at how expensive the trips are - of course it was in pounds and our exchange rate makes it seem more expensive. The cabin accommodation is much larger than I realized.