Bowaters.

albertwebster
19th December 2005, 11:55
Ahoy Shipmates.

Does anyone have any information on the Bowater Boats. I sailed on the Gladys Bowater which I sailed on in the 1960s. I joined her at Ridham dock in October 1962 and sailed for Umea in Sweden, via the Kiel Canal, the only time I ever sailed through this famous canal. from Umea we went to Ellesmere Port to discharge then returned to Sweden, this time to Holmsund, not far from Umea, again discharging at Ellesmere Port, this time we went to Norway where we called at Porsgrunn, Risor, Larvik and Fossing, before Heading to Northfleet to discharge. The fourth trip was across the Atlantic to Cornerbrook, Newfoundland, which we discharged at Belfast, Dublin and Manchester, where I signed off in January 1963. I had a hankering for warmer climes.
There is very little information given regarding these beautiful little ships in any of the shipping magazines. What did happen to the 'Gladys'.
I was walking round the docks at Aberdeen (in the early 1980s I guess) and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what was obviously a Bowater Boat tied up alongside. It was the 'Elizabeth' and was being used by Wimpey as a floating laboratory for the North Sea oil industry. I believe her name was Wimpey ---.

ps. Is the Station Hotel in Ellesmere Port still standing. My favourite watering hole.

Pat McCardle
19th December 2005, 12:25
Ahoy Shipmates.

Does anyone have any information on the Bowater Boats. I sailed on the Gladys Bowater which I sailed on in the 1960s. I joined her at Ridham dock in October 1962 and sailed for Umea in Sweden, via the Kiel Canal, the only time I ever sailed through this famous canal. from Umea we went to Ellesmere Port to discharge then returned to Sweden, this time to Holmsund, not far from Umea, again discharging at Ellesmere Port, this time we went to Norway where we called at Porsgrunn, Risor, Larvik and Fossing, before Heading to Northfleet to discharge. The fourth trip was across the Atlantic to Cornerbrook, Newfoundland, which we discharged at Belfast, Dublin and Manchester, where I signed off in January 1963. I had a hankering for warmer climes.
There is very little information given regarding these beautiful little ships in any of the shipping magazines. What did happen to the 'Gladys'.
I was walking round the docks at Aberdeen (in the early 1980s I guess) and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what was obviously a Bowater Boat tied up alongside. It was the 'Elizabeth' and was being used by Wimpey as a floating laboratory for the North Sea oil industry. I believe her name was Wimpey ---.

ps. Is the Station Hotel in Ellesmere Port still standing. My favourite watering hole.
Wimpey Sealab?

tanker
19th December 2005, 14:11
They were various sisters as you surely know,GLADYS BOWATER 72- GIGI 76-
AGINOR 76- and ALEXANDRA ,i think scrapped beginning 80s.
Gp

Bruce Carson
19th December 2005, 14:39
Hi:
You can find a couple of pictures of the 'Gladys Bowater' at the following URLs:
http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/gladys%20bowater.html
http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/ships_photos_02/ships_05/gladys_bowater.jpg
http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/pm.php?id=record_detail&fl=&lg=English&ex=00000049&rd=50680
Bruce C.

shipmate17
19th December 2005, 14:51
Hi,
Picture of Wimpey Sealab in the Gallery.
cheers,

albertwebster
19th December 2005, 21:04
Thanks Bruce. Wonderful photo of the Gladys on the Merchant Navy Net.

regards Albert Webster.

albertwebster
19th December 2005, 21:07
Thanks for the info Tanker. Does anyone know where she was built? I think it was at Caledon at Dundee, not very sure though.

regards Albert Webster.

albertwebster
19th December 2005, 21:30
Hi Shipmate

just viewed the Wimpey Sealab. I'm sure she didn't have a drilling derrick when I saw her.
regards Albert Webster.

Derek Roger
20th December 2005, 21:30
Hi Albert;
Friend of mine sailed with Bowaters around that time . Ian Scott ( Scotty ) he was I think apprentice or 3rd mate at the time . From Dundee . Poor lad got married and swallowed the hook . Derek

albertwebster
21st December 2005, 00:15
Hi Derek.
Sorry, the name Ian Scott dosen't ring any bells but I know how he feels, only I swallowed the hook then got married. Still am after 38 years.

I have a 1962 Christmas menu from the Gladys, signed by the crew, I will rescue it from the loft and see if his name is on it and will keep you posted. Albert.

JET
27th December 2005, 06:44
Hi Albert, I have just checked the dates that you mentioned and realised that I also did the trip from Ridham Dock (Oct 62) to Sweden and left the Gladys at Ellesmere Port in November. I also don't recall who were the two apprentices on board at the time but I do know that G. Scott was an apprentice with the company. The Master at that time was Jim McLarty, I was the Chief Engineer.

The Constance and Elizabeth were built at Caledon's, Dundee, the Alice came from Cammell Laird at Birkenhead and the Gladys and Nina were built at Denny's, Dumbarton. The first four were built in 1958, the Nina in 59.

Regards, John

bowaterssco
28th December 2005, 19:40
Hello Albert, and all you chaps that are on this Bowater thread. My dad sailed with Bowaters in the 1960`s as a deck officer. His first ship with them was the Liverpool Packet, followed by Alice Bowater, Gladys Bowater(April-Septeber 1962), Nicolas Bowater, Elizabeth Bowater, Margaret Bowater and Constance Bowater. He really enjoyed his time on all of them, to him they were great ships, well maintained to the highest standards which obviously attracted the best crews. I have been putting together a project on his sea time for the past ten years, he also sailed with Shell Tankers, Clan Line and Union Castle. My main interest is the Bowater fleet and i have contacted many ex-crew members and collected many photographs and even a few bits of memarobilia. I was lucky enough to go to Esjberg, Denmark a few years ago were the Norskald ex-Elizabeth Bowater was laid-up awaiting her final fate, infact i ended up going on three occasions and apart from a load of photographs, i managed to get the clock from the Captains cabin, i found some Bowater china in a drinks cabinet and i even took the engineroom telegraph off her on my final visit. I am thinking of putting a webpage together dedicated to Bowaters, what do you think? Albert any chance of having a copy of your Christmas menu?Bye for now.

albertwebster
28th December 2005, 22:44
Hi Jet.
Thanks for that information re the Gladys. I downloaded a photo of her from the websites given by Bruce Carson (see 19th December post) I now have it as my screensaver.

Regards, Albert Webster.

albertwebster
28th December 2005, 22:53
Hi Bowaterssco.

I will gladly send a copy of that menu. The only problem is that unfortunately it won't be till after the New Year. Too busy over the festive season. Incidentally I also sailed with Shell, was an AB on the Helcion from October 1958 to January 1959, doing the Curacao to American east coast ports.

Will keep in touch, regards, Albert Webster.

JET
29th December 2005, 05:58
Hi Bowaterssco, A web page would be very good. There was no doubt that the company and the ships were up amongst the best in their day, prior to them being managed by B & C of course.

Do you recognise the initials R.H.

Regards John

bowaterssco
29th December 2005, 19:18
Hi Jet,My dads name is Richard Howatson so yes i would recognise the intials R.H.
Some of the other ex-Bowater chaps i have contacted are Keith Gearing (Steward) George Fairbrass(greaser)Alex Dilworth, David Ashton, John Powell, Simon Gledhill, Mike Walsh, Tom Roddis, Thyge Enevoldson, Jack Towler, James Rooney, Derek Meredith, Bob Wilson, Allen Ford, Roger Stone, Charles Mintoff, Bob Petty to name but a few, i have one special contact Capt Patrick Toomey, he sailed with Bowaters in the early days and was on the Elizabeth Bowater on her maiden voyage as 2nd Mate, he has an excellent memory for all things Bowater and kept a daily journal during his sea career. He left Bowaters when they were taken over by B&C and joined the Canadian Coastgaurd, that were he got his Maters ticket.

JET
30th December 2005, 00:23
Hi Bowaterssco, your father and I sailed together on the L.P. in 61, spent period (Jun - Sep) transporting pulpwood from Baie Verte, Tommy's Arm and Hare Bay back to Cornerbrook in Newfoundland. At that time he was 3rd Mate and I was 3rd Engr.

Derek Meredith was 3rd Mate on the Margaret when I was on there (Christmas in Holmsund 61).

I need to correct my list of the ships, as I missed out the Phyllis Bowater. She was the one built at Caledon's in 1959 and the Nina was built later, not sure if it was Caledon or Denny. Someone else is bound to know the answer.

It was interesting to hear that the Liverpool Packet survived as long as it did. I was on the Constance for the 63 season, Cornerbrook - Great Lakes & Eastern Seaboard and my recollection is that we heard the L.P. had gone, presumeably for scrapping. Knowing her condition earlier in the year that was a reasonable assumption.

Regards John

bowaterssco
30th December 2005, 21:01
Hi John,Its great to know that i have found another one of my dads shipmates, he will be well chuffed when i tell him. You must have sailed with George Fairbrass as well as he was a donkeyman/greaser on the Liverpool Packet at the same time. He doesn`t live that far from me, i live in Bexleyheath, he lives in Chatham, my dad and i meet up with him, i`ll tell you i couldn`t get a word in edgeways! Catch u all later. Ian

bowaterssco
29th January 2006, 08:14
Hi All, Just to go back to the start of this thread. When Gladys Bowater had become Aginor she caught fire off the north coast of Africa in January 1977, the crew abandoned ship, the fire was put out and the ship was towed into port. The whole of the accommadation was gutted and although she was declared a constructive loss amazingly she was rebuilt and put back to sea. I have a photograph of her laid-up and looking in a very sorry state.

Geoff Bray
29th January 2006, 17:54
Hey Ian,
You forgot to mention my name in that thread where you rattled off all of those names of your dad's old ship mates. We sailed for eleven months on the YANKY coast aboard the "Nicolas Bowater", together flagship of the fleet.
A fine ship
Cheers
Geoff Bray

George Dixon
4th October 2008, 22:50
I was second electrician on Nicholas Bowater for voyage two which took us on two runs to New York, Philly and Baltimore. We thought we were going back home after the second voyage but to our surprise they started loading for Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne! Sailed with some good lads.

For domestic reasons I had to pay off and from there she went to Durban, Cape town before returning to the UK.

I had a brief spell ashore but returned to Bowaters and sailed on several motorships.

Would like to contact any ex shipmates who recognise me and would be interested in talking.

BillH
5th October 2008, 10:35
Hi All, Just to go back to the start of this thread. When Gladys Bowater had become Aginor she caught fire off the north coast of Africa in January 1977, the crew abandoned ship, the fire was put out and the ship was towed into port. The whole of the accommadation was gutted and although she was declared a constructive loss amazingly she was rebuilt and put back to sea. I have a photograph of her laid-up and looking in a very sorry state.
GLADYS BOWATER
O.N. 300820. 4,045g. 2,081n. 325' 0" x 50' 3" x 24' 0"
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (600 x 1040mm) Sulzer 6RD60 type oil engine made by Wm. Denny & Bros. Ltd., Dumbarton. 2,700 BHP. 12 kts.
19.8.1957: Keel laid by Wm. Denny & Bros. Ltd., Dumbarton (Yard No. 1494) for the Bowater Steamship Company Ltd. (Furness Withy & Company Ltd., managers).
27.8.1958: Launched.
9.1.1959: Completed.
1963: Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd., appointed as managers.
1972: Sold to Oil Enterprises Corp., Liberia, and renamed GIGI.
2.1976: Sold to Aginor Shipping Corp., Liberia, and renamed AGINOR.
1.1977: Suffered a fire off N. Africa and was abandoned. Fire extinguished and vessel subsequently repaired and returned to service.
1977: Sold to Landami Compania Naviera SA, (Stavrou Management Compania SA, managers), Greece, and renamed ALEXANDRA.
1985: Sold to Likaab Trading Company, Honduras, and renamed LAMYAA. 10.10.1985: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition.

BillH
5th October 2008, 10:36
Hi Bowaterssco, your father and I sailed together on the L.P. in 61, spent period (Jun - Sep) transporting pulpwood from Baie Verte, Tommy's Arm and Hare Bay back to Cornerbrook in Newfoundland. At that time he was 3rd Mate and I was 3rd Engr.

Derek Meredith was 3rd Mate on the Margaret when I was on there (Christmas in Holmsund 61).

I need to correct my list of the ships, as I missed out the Phyllis Bowater. She was the one built at Caledon's in 1959 and the Nina was built later, not sure if it was Caledon or Denny. Someone else is bound to know the answer.

It was interesting to hear that the Liverpool Packet survived as long as it did. I was on the Constance for the 63 season, Cornerbrook - Great Lakes & Eastern Seaboard and my recollection is that we heard the L.P. had gone, presumeably for scrapping. Knowing her condition earlier in the year that was a reasonable assumption.

Regards John
MARGARET BOWATER
O.N. 186187. 6,481g. 3,532n. 419' 4" x 58' 10" x 26' 7"
Three, steam turbines made by the shipbuilders, single reduction geared to screw shaft. 4,700 SHP.
14.9.1954: Launched by Wm. Denny & Bros. Ltd., Dumbarton (Yard No. 1471) for the Bowater’s Newfoundland Pulp & Paper Company.
21.2.1955: Completed for the Bowater Steamship Company Ltd., (Furness Withy & Company Ltd., managers), London.
1968: Sold to Jacques Pierot junior & Sons, thence to Jeronimo Corporation, New York, and renamed JOHN W. HILL, under Liberian registry.
22.12.1969: Laid-up at Willemstad, West Indies.
1970: Sold to Hope Navigation Corp., Liberia, and renamed GRAND STATE.
6.1971: Arrived at Kaohsiung for demolition.

BillH
5th October 2008, 10:38
I was second electrician on Nicholas Bowater for voyage two which took us on two runs to New York, Philly and Baltimore. We thought we were going back home after the second voyage but to our surprise they started loading for Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne! Sailed with some good lads.

For domestic reasons I had to pay off and from there she went to Durban, Cape town before returning to the UK.

I had a brief spell ashore but returned to Bowaters and sailed on several motorships.

Would like to contact any ex shipmates who recognise me and would be interested in talking.
NICOLAS BOWATER
O.N. 187806. 7,136g. 3,946n. 419' 0" x 60' 3" x 26' 7"
Two, steam turbines made by the shipbuilders, driving screw shaft. 5,550 SHP.
7.1.1957: Keel laid by Wm. Denny & Bros. Ltd., Dumbarton (Yard No.1491) for the Bowater Steamship Company Ltd., (Furness Withy & Company Ltd., managers), London.
18.2.1958: Launched.
26.7.1958: Completed.
1973: Sold to Vall Cargoships Ltd., Liberia, and renamed VALL COMET.
10.1977: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition.

maritiem
18th November 2008, 12:42
Hallo Albert;
There is a website about Bowater.
http://www.bowatersteamshipcompany.no-ip.com/page3.html
Regards
Maritiem

blankpig
18th November 2008, 13:46
Ahoy Shipmates,
I am fairly sure I had a look around the "Constance Bowater" in Smiths dock in February 1968 when we dry docked the "British Sportsman".A beautiful ship with excellent cabin accomodation.

stan mayes
24th February 2009, 22:27
Arthur Edwards - Chief Steward
A friend in Canada has asked if I can help him find his friend Arthur Edwards.
Arthur left the company about 20 years ago to take over a pub here in Gravesend..I have made many enquiries without success.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Stan

Mike R757550
3rd March 2010, 18:29
I sailed on the Liverpool Packet in December 1962 we left Tilbury to go across to Canada, but halfway the engines packed up,we drifted for a
few days in very bad weather,before the Elithabeth Bowater took us under
tow to Cork shipyard.after we did a couple of trips to Norway, then laid
her up in River Blackwater. I also sailed on the Gladys Bowater two
seasons up the lakes, and on the Nicolas Bowater on the American
coast. They were great boats.

Mike R757550
8th March 2010, 18:35
They were various sisters as you surely know,GLADYS BOWATER 72- GIGI 76-
AGINOR 76- and ALEXANDRA ,i think scrapped beginning 80s.
Gp

I sailed on Bowaters for some years and the only one I recognise was
the Gladys.The rest were not Bowater boats. unless they were on charter

Fred Field
25th March 2013, 16:36
I sailed as 2/E on the Nina Feb '71- Nov '71 and the Phyllis Jan '72- Jul '72.
I survived my first encounter with the Bowaters Marriage bureau in Corner Brook but not the second.
Of the motor ships I think the Nina was the best, she was the last one built and 'they' had correct most of the mistakes with the earlier ones, and introduced a few new ones! All in all she was a lovely ship. Tommy Hilton was the Chief, great bloke. I think he had been on every ship in the Bowaters fleet, he liked the Nicolas (steam) but admitted that the Nina was a beauty, Sulzer built Sulzer for a start. The engine builder's records on board were superb.
After that the Phyllis was a let down, flogged our guts out, relatively speaking, she was still fairly 'good', for 6 months to get her back up to scratch and then got taken off.
One of the things I remember about the E/R equipment was that both of them had the equipment for converting the lathe to an internal or external grinder with the diamond dressing tools to 'dress' the grinding wheels. These were the only ships where I have ever seen this. Certainly not Clan Line or the Lavender Hull Mob.

joebuckham
25th March 2013, 18:07
Hi Shipmate

just viewed the Wimpey Sealab. I'm sure she didn't have a drilling derrick when I saw her.
regards Albert Webster.

she did when she ran into hartlepool in the late seventies early eighties she was drilling for offshore seams for the coal board, she then became pholas??

MikeK
26th March 2013, 10:40
she did when she ran into hartlepool in the late seventies early eighties she was drilling for offshore seams for the coal board, she then became pholas??

I was working for Wimpey Laboratories on their inshore drilling ships, including the Wimpey Sealab from her conversion at Middle Docks in S. Shields to shortly before she went to work off the Brazilian Coast. She had her drilling rig throughout and after I returned to sea proper (!) I used to see her in Hull under her new name of Pholas and at that point she still had her rig. Eventually she disappeared from there and I assume she had it removed then, this must have been around 1978.

george r
16th July 2013, 10:25
Hi Jet,My dads name is Richard Howatson so yes i would recognise the intials R.H.
Some of the other ex-Bowater chaps i have contacted are Keith Gearing (Steward) George Fairbrass(greaser)Alex Dilworth, David Ashton, John Powell, Simon Gledhill, Mike Walsh, Tom Roddis, Thyge Enevoldson, Jack Towler, James Rooney, Derek Meredith, Bob Wilson, Allen Ford, Roger Stone, Charles Mintoff, Bob Petty to name but a few, i have one special contact Capt Patrick Toomey, he sailed with Bowaters in the early days and was on the Elizabeth Bowater on her maiden voyage as 2nd Mate, he has an excellent memory for all things Bowater and kept a daily journal during his sea career. He left Bowaters when they were taken over by B&C and joined the Canadian Coastgaurd, that were he got his Maters ticket.
My name is George Meikle sailed with George on the Nicolas Bowater 1960 also sailed on the Markland,phyllis,Alice,Sarah.was wondering if anyone had George's E mail address. thanks

george r
19th July 2013, 10:23
Hi John,Its great to know that i have found another one of my dads shipmates, he will be well chuffed when i tell him. You must have sailed with George Fairbrass as well as he was a donkeyman/greaser on the Liverpool Packet at the same time. He doesn`t live that far from me, i live in Bexleyheath, he lives in Chatham, my dad and i meet up with him, i`ll tell you i couldn`t get a word in edgeways! Catch u all later. Ian
Wonder if you have E mail for George as i sailed with him on the Nicholas in 1960 last time we were in touch was about 30years my name is george meikle would appreciate any help just started using PC lately thanks