Crossley Engines

meiklemak
10th June 2011, 13:01
Gday to all. Been looking at various articles about the cruise ship "Hebridean Princess" and wonder if anyone out there can tell me the model type for her Crossley main engines. Had a look around the engine room about three years ago but thats now much too long ago for my enfeebled memory to retain the details.
Hope somebody can help.
Thanks.

Ron Dean
12th June 2011, 20:58
Gday to all. Been looking at various articles about the cruise ship "Hebridean Princess" and wonder if anyone out there can tell me the model type for her Crossley main engines. Had a look around the engine room about three years ago but thats now much too long ago for my enfeebled memory to retain the details.
Hope somebody can help.
Thanks.
Wiki gives:-
Crossley 2x2SCSA each 8 cylinders.

Ron.

colin herbertson
15th June 2011, 21:04
Crossley HRP 8/47

Derek Roger
15th June 2011, 22:41
Crossley made Pielstick spares and they were Cr-ap . The spares from Sweden which were a lot more expensive were very good . Brocklebanks started buying spares from Cossley to save money and that was where the problem started . Nothing wrong with the engine until one started replacing parts which were rubbish .
On Lustrous ( Moss tankers ) they supplied fuel pump plungers that were for diesel fuel only ; we were on heavy fuel and changing pumps became a nightmare ( one or two a day untill we kicked in )

One mans view . Derek

uisdean mor
16th June 2011, 12:29
Not sure I can agree Derek. worked on Luminetta and Lustrous as well as the Luminous.
We did have problems when design changes were made - especialy pistons or more correctly piston cooling coils. I remember also a problem with gudgeon pins - oil holes not relieved. But these were all down ro design spec rather than the manufacture. Best Pielsticks I worked on were Nippon Kokan .
Returning to crossleys - I have met several engineers in various world wide installations and most arte the Crossley designs but crucially all in shore based operations - desalination, power plant etc . So I guess really horses for courses.
Other problems were exhaust valve rotators, cages, valves themselves and guides which many suppliers tried to "fix" but in reality heavy fuel and medium speed were not a great recipe for success and we have to acknowledge that rather than heap the blame on the equipment. NOW IF you want to talk about Sharples purifiers thenwe could have a small library of complaints on this thread.

Rgds
Uisdean

chadburn
16th June 2011, 12:53
Crossley 2 strokes were a grand little drive system when attached to a MWD gearbox as long as the engine was de-coked on a regular basis.

howardws
16th June 2011, 18:58
NOW IF you want to talk about Sharples purifiers thenwe could have a small library of complaints on this thread.

When Caltex Calcutta was scrapped in the 60's I brought home eight Sharples idler bearings. Until his recent death my brother was running an eight wheel 5" gauge driving trolley on his garden railway using them. Probably the only decent bits of a Sharples purifier. I had six of the things to look after!

uisdean mor
17th June 2011, 11:34
Aye - the bearings that used to fly across the flat when the machines either overevved or went slightly out of balance. Special long broom handle at flat entrance for hitting the stop button whilst still safe outside the door. Elf n SaveTee m'lud . Good People now pay for the purgatory of a sweat room like a purifier flat. We must have been fit in them days .
Rgsd
H