SS Sandsend SuezCrisis 1956

ex 2 Base
12th June 2011, 19:59
Hello to all, I'm new to this site. I was recalled in the army summer 1956 and eventually was on SS Sandsend as part of a convoy en route to Egypt, the ship broke down,we never made it.I wonder if any of the crew are members of this site.Also what happened to the ship?

billyboy
12th June 2011, 21:49
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Cisco
12th June 2011, 22:07
Greetings, if that was Headlam's war built 'Sandsend' then she was the last 'Liberty' ship registered in the UK. I think she went for scrap about 1967.

gdynia
13th June 2011, 04:50
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Cisco
13th June 2011, 05:53
A photo and a bit of info on her here http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/156603/title/sandsend-1944-headlam/cat/510
Funny sort of ship to go to war on........

R58484956
13th June 2011, 18:30
Greetings x2Base and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Paul Weatherill
31st July 2014, 07:47
Hello to all, I'm new to this site. I was recalled in the army summer 1956 and eventually was on SS Sandsend as part of a convoy en route to Egypt, the ship broke down,we never made it.I wonder if any of the crew are members of this site.Also what happened to the ship?

I have just read your message. I am the son of the Master of the Sandsend, Captain L.Z.Weatherill, and was on board the ship in Hull when she was requisitioned from the owners Headlam & Son of Raithwaite Nr. Whitby by the Govenment for the Suez crisis & I sailed with the ship to Southampton (flooded Queens Drydock). As a 13 year old it was a very exciting adventure as I watched the ship add accomodation for I believe 250 Army personel and load Bedford trucks and jeeps etc. The ship did not break down but was held off Cowes for a couple of months if I recall before being stood down.
My late father took command of the ship from its launch in 1944 (SS Samandora) until she was scrapped in Taiwain I believe 1977. My brothers and I have very happy memories of SS Sandsend and of the late William Headlam and his Company.

R58484956
31st July 2014, 17:22
Greetings Paul and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

chadburn
31st July 2014, 17:35
Paul, your Father had an unusual middle name, is it an old Family name?

Paul Weatherill
31st July 2014, 18:22
Paul, your Father had an unusual middle name, is it an old Family name?

Lawrence Zebedee Weatherill. Zebedee was a family christian name from the Verill family of Staithes. My paternal grandmother was a Verill and it was her fathers name, but he perished at sea when the vessel he was commanding was lost. He was only aged 27 if my information is correct. My great grandmother never re married and wore black for the rest of her days as I believe the tradition was in Staithes although I may be corrected on that. I was aware that my father was often referred to as Captain Zeb with shipping agents etc.!

Paul Weatherill
31st July 2014, 18:37
I have just read your message. I am the son of the Master of the Sandsend, Captain L.Z.Weatherill, and was on board the ship in Hull when she was requisitioned from the owners Headlam & Son of Raithwaite Nr. Whitby by the Govenment for the Suez crisis & I sailed with the ship to Southampton (flooded Queens Drydock). As a 13 year old it was a very exciting adventure as I watched the ship add accomodation for I believe 250 Army personel and load Bedford trucks and jeeps etc. The ship did not break down but was held off Cowes for a couple of months if I recall before being stood down.
My late father took command of the ship from its launch in 1944 (SS Samandora) until she was scrapped in Taiwain I believe 1977. My brothers and I have very happy memories of SS Sandsend and of the late William Headlam and his Company.
Correction! It was in 1967 that she was scrapped in Tawain/Formosa

chadburn
1st August 2014, 02:14
Lawrence Zebedee Weatherill. Zebedee was a family christian name from the Verill family of Staithes. My paternal grandmother was a Verill and it was her fathers name, but he perished at sea when the vessel he was commanding was lost. He was only aged 27 if my information is correct. My great grandmother never re married and wore black for the rest of her days as I believe the tradition was in Staithes although I may be corrected on that. I was aware that my father was often referred to as Captain Zeb with shipping agents etc.!

Thanks Paul, I thought so, the surname Weatherill is well known in Yorkshire/Teesside, I did a trip on the 'Egton' a photo of her M/E is in my photograph section. William Headlam also commissioned a Trophy (Headlam Trophy) for the Power Boat races out of Whitby in the 1960's which I was involved in when I was home on leave. The 'tradition' is correct.

ben27
8th August 2014, 01:02
good day paul weatherrill.m.1 aug,2014.03:37;re:s.s.sandsend suez crisis,1956.thank you for a most interesting post,your father had a great career on that ship.thank you for sharing.regards ben27