First Trip Pranks

Alan Rawlinson
14th June 2011, 17:59
Might be time for a new thread....

How about the indignities heaped upon first trippers - " go down to the engine room, and ask for a long weight (wait) " etc etc . There must be a few funny ones out there.

My own experience was one where I was too alert and screwed up what turned out to be a legitimate order.

On the poop telephone on the (old) Forthbank as a raw first tripper, told to relay the message to the second mate " put out the Insurance wire, when you are alongside " I thought this sounded suspiciously like a spoof order, laughed it off, much to the annoyance of the bridge.

stewart4866
14th June 2011, 18:15
Steam on the handrails and 1st sunday out of port "ask the c/e for the hymn books for the service. stewart

pete
14th June 2011, 18:58
Many years ago an appy called Leonardo, due to a certain spillage of paint, was working on the lifeboat. so I caused a certain amount of Five degrees rudder pemanently and then rushed out onto the bridge wing in a panic. He lept out of the lifeboat and rushed off below. I then phoned the Engineer on watch and said" get the biggest bl**dy spanner you can find in th Engine Room". This turned out to be a Flogging Spanner, doubtless the engineers amongst our gentlemen members will remember those with less than affection. As he arrived on the Bridge I was grinning and he said "You Bastard" and dropped the bl**dy thing on then Wooden deck....pete

gordy
14th June 2011, 21:16
On a run ashore we let the new 3rd mate rush to the bar to get the first round in for 8 of us, in Norway(Jester)

Winebuff
20th June 2011, 21:17
Mate to Deck Appy - Bucket of steam, keep the lid on or it will escape and I will know if you looked.

3rd Mates wife, collecting carrots to feed the Mules (trains) in Panama.

loylobby
20th June 2011, 21:46
For days and nights we filled a first trippers head with ghost stories then one night sent him up to the focsle to switch off some lights which had "accidently" been left on.

We had rigged up the ships rescue dummy swinging on a hang mans noose just inside focsle door and put a walkie talkie in the boiler suit pocket.

Just as the first tripper stepped over the focsle door sill I let out a blood curdling AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGHHHH in to the radio, I have never ever seen a person fly aft so blooming quick. Poor sod.

John Dryden
20th June 2011, 22:11
I remember when I was appy,hosing the aft deck down and the engineers turned the pump to max. and I floated two feet off the deck until they turned it back down.I was only 9 stone then so wasn,t difficult!

jimthehat
20th June 2011, 23:32
Might be time for a new thread....

How about the indignities heaped upon first trippers - " go down to the engine room, and ask for a long weight (wait) " etc etc . There must be a few funny ones out there.

My own experience was one where I was too alert and screwed up what turned out to be a legitimate order.

On the poop telephone on the (old) Forthbank as a raw first tripper, told to relay the message to the second mate " put out the Insurance wire, when you are alongside " I thought this sounded suspiciously like a spoof order, laughed it off, much to the annoyance of the bridge.

After about 10 days as a first tripper (maplebank) we caught fire at the new orleans pilot station,i was sent up to the boatdeck to prepare the lifeboats,So i chucked all the wooden boat covers into the muddy waters of the mississippi and for my sins was told to go and stand by the anchor which I did for a couple of hours until a search party was sent out to find me.

jim

mil511mariner
21st June 2011, 17:44
I remember being on the bridge as last trip cadet helping getting things ready for sea when the first trip engineer cadet grabbed me and asked where the fog locker was as the 2nd had told him to go and check the pressures, the 2/0 overheard the conversation pointed to a door outside and said it was locked but the lecky had the key.........................

kewl dude
21st June 2011, 22:31
How come no mention of Gibraltar Snipes? It is a well known fact that young seamen passing Gib at night were often positioned on deck holding a pillow case open to catch these Snipes. I must admit that I was not the seaman victim but the officer instigator. When after spending all night out there they caught nothing my answer was the Snipes must not have been flying that night.

I MUST admit that as a young Wiper in 1961 a 2/E motivated me to chip the whole T2 shaft alley looking for the Golden Rivet, never did find it. Picture attached, that white stuff on the thrust bearing were where two pictures in a stack were stuck together.

My first trip 1960 as a Coalpasser on a hand fired coal burner I was warned to watch out. There was a 200 gallon barrel of sea water between the two boilers that I used to fill a five gallon bucket and quickly cool fires dumped out on the deck plates. So the Fireman could step up on it to reach his rake to the back of the furnace. I was warned if I did not watch out the two Firemen may dump me in that barrel.

While that never happened after I had shoveled the piles of pulled fires over to the outboard of both boilers, then pulled the ash pits out on the deck and shoveled that over my Fireman told me to blow into a 3/4 inch pipe running alongside the inner edge of the starboard boiler. I refused to my Fireman did it.

Unknown to me at the engine room end of that pipe was a whistle that notified the Oiler to start the ash ejection pump. There was a six inch concrete plug with a chain attached that grew out of the pile of ashes. Pulling that out allowed the ash to fall into this six inch pipe that had the water entering on a 180 degree fitting beneath the plates.

The ash would then be sucked down into this pipe then lifted and pumped over the side. I would have to break up clinkers to keep the ashes flowing. The ash ejection system was on both sides of the fireroom. When done blow in the pipe and the Oiler would secure the pump.

Greg Hayden