F T Everard and Sons Ltd

Polarum
20th December 2005, 00:01
In the early 1960's, I applied for a job with Everards the coaster firm based at Greenhithe in Kent. I recall being offered a job on a ship called Security but the offer was withdrawn and I went to work for Zim. Later, I heard that the ship had sunk. I have found a photo of a coaster called Security but this was launched in 1971. Can anyone confirm that Everards owned a ship called Security and that it came to an unfortunate end. Thanks.

Bruce Carson
20th December 2005, 00:59
There was a 'Security' built in 1950. She measured 1,490GT, 242' x 36' and was diesel powered with a service speed of 11 knots.

I'll try and find more information and a picture.

Bruce C.

awateah2
20th December 2005, 02:35
I think she was lost by collision in the Elbe approaches in 1963

Dave Edge
20th December 2005, 03:01
"Security" was anchored in thick fog in River Elbe on 2 February 1964 when she was run down and sunk by the German "Carpathia". She was raised the following month and broken up in Hamburg.

billyboy
20th December 2005, 11:20
I was told to ring greenhyth 2345 and ask for a Mr Kimberley and I would get a berth, still waiting now!! ... LOL

Polarum
21st December 2005, 11:19
Thanks to all for the various bits of information on Security. (Applause)

It would be great to see a photograph of what I narrowly missed working on. You wouldn't think that they would call another ship 'Security' after that experience; 'Calamity' might be more appropriate.

Bruce Carson
21st December 2005, 14:49
[QUOTE=Polarum]Thanks to all for the various bits of information on Security. (Applause)

It would be great to see a photograph of what I narrowly missed working on.

HI:
Can't find a picture of 'Security', but there is a small photo of the 'Stability', an identical sistership, at the following URL.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/4268/security.html

Bruce C.

R58484956
21st December 2005, 15:00
Security o/n 183257 1490 tons built 1950 by Goole SB& Eng co Ltd Goole.
230.2 x 36.2 x 14.0. 4 cyl diesel by J I Thorneycroft. 1 deck. DF ESD.Code flagsMDTQ
Registered London. Owned by F T Everard & Sons Ltd Registered at LLoyds as 100A!

tanker
21st December 2005, 15:14
Yes she was on voyage from Arklow to Hamburg with a cargo of 1,400 tons
of stone chips .the collision was in dense fog during the evening in the lower Elbe near Krautsand.
Gp

Polarum
23rd December 2005, 14:55
Since my original posting, I have discovered this photo of the ill-fated 'Security' on Australian e-bay. I wonder what became of her sister ship 'Stability'? Toppled over somewhere, perhaps?.

lamptrimmer
23rd December 2005, 19:05
The STABILITY was sold outof the Co.in 1973 and ended her days as the Indonesian VANDARATANA. Broken up in Indonesia in 1986. I think they were the only two of that design to have black hulls

P.Whiles
7th February 2006, 18:20
In the early 1960's, I applied for a job with Everards the coaster firm based at Greenhithe in Kent. I recall being offered a job on a ship called Security but the offer was withdrawn and I went to work for Zim. Later, I heard that the ship had sunk. I have found a photo of a coaster called Security but this was launched in 1971. Can anyone confirm that Everards owned a ship called Security and that it came to an unfortunate end. Thanks.
I did a few trips on Security 78/79 ish, The Old Man was a wonderful Captain Mumby,He was originally from Grimsbt but moved to Kent or Essex and he allways sailed with his wife,....I remember that the Grain run from europort to the London River was quite a good run where we went aboard the older Freds vessels that where laid up for sale,these were the Fred Everard,Mairi Everard and others that I don,t recall the name of,we tied up along side them whilst we waited for the Baltic exchange to open,We had a few runs out to Spain for Scrap,took Coal to Belfast but by far the best run was the Timber run from Gunness to Scandinavia in paticular to Gothenborg,yes ! plenty of memories there on board the Security......Incidentaly I have a Picture of it some where,not one that I took but out of a box of pictures of ships that I was looking through at Hull one day ,If I find it I will e-mail it on to you.

Keltic Star
8th February 2006, 17:05
I was told to ring greenhyth 2345 and ask for a Mr Kimberley and I would get a berth, still waiting now!! ... LOL
His name was Mr. Kimber. In 1962, I also rang him and unfortunately he phoned back,
Gave me the Mate's job on the "Aquity". With a fresh 2nd. Mates ticket and no coastal experience, I had the luck to take the first watch leaving Leith. Asked the Captain where the pilot was to which he replied "You are He". The Old Man also reassured me that whatever I did with an Everards ship was not a big problem as someone else would have already done better.

Checked the charts to find that the latest correction was done in 1949. We had to use a carved rubber to indicate the position on the chart as erasing pencil marks would eventually wear them out.

Seriously though. I learned more about seamanship and shiphandling with Everards than anywhere else.

AQUITY
Empire Tedship 891 193 32 43 1946 Coastal Tanker.
MOWT managed by Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co.
1947 FISCHERIA, Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co.
1951 ACUITY, F.T.Everard & Sons, London.
1967 VITTORIOSA, Betamar Carriers Ltd, Somalia
1968 Converted to water tanker.
1969 NEPTUNIA TERZA, Compania di Davide Russo & Co, Italy.
1975 Scrapped Italy.

also sailed on:

AMITY
Empire Tedassa 947 193 34 16 1945 Coastal Tanker.
MOWT managed by Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co.
1947 FOSSARINA, Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co.
1950 AMITY, F.T.Everard & Sons, London.
1965 Scrapped Great Yarmouth.

If anyone has photos, would sure appreciate them

Arthur Paternoster
22nd February 2006, 17:54
The mans name was Mr Kimber Billy Boy and so long as you were out of work you got a job

Arthur Paternoster
22nd February 2006, 18:04
Does anyone remember The Astrality I remember her being the biggest of the fleet in 1957. I went from her on to the Acuity before going deep sea. Really good times for six months on the Acuity . Skipper was Fisher,mate was Len Sallis, second mate Johnny Fareham and the chief Engineer was Growcock.

danube4
22nd February 2006, 22:41
Any one remember this: Liverpool Express January 9th 1952, same time as the Flying Enterprise. Stop press.
Another ship is taken in tow.
Towline passed from tug to London tanker Audacity today after she drifted helplessly for ten hours in Cardigan Bay with broken propeller shaft, smashed stern , her bulkheads carried away, and water pouring into engine-room . Crew of 14 aboard.

price
23rd February 2006, 21:42
Yes I remember the Astrality, I sailed in her in 1961, her master at the time was Peter Collier who together with the mate, kept a collection of vintage and classic motor bikes in the centrecastle. We used to transit the Manchester Ship Canal, I can remember having to lead the main telescopic topmast wire over the fiddley and down to the mooring winch on the poop, because there wasn't a winch on the main deck, or something like that. If I remember correctly the 3 cylinder Doxford used to push her on at a fair speed [ex Bolma of Shell]. (*)) .

Peter4447
24th February 2006, 00:36
In the late 60's and early 70's I did a lot of research into the ships and history of Everards which I then passed onto the Company together with over 100 photographs of their various vessels. I was invited to Greenhithe for the day to do this as the guest of Miss Ethel. The 'Alf Everard' was alongside and I was given a guided tour by this good lady and the Master (can't remember his name but he was a small gentleman with an Irish accent). The 'Frederick T Everard' had just been sold foreign and her bell was proudly hanging in the foyer of the office. Also met Miss Rosemary and all in all it was a very pleasant day indeed and the Company in those days certainly had an 'olde worldly' feel about it.
I was also living near Hamburg when the 'Security' was lost (I have a photo of the wreck taken from a German newspaper) and at that time she was sporting yellow livery. They also lost another of the class (can't remember the name) when she came ashore in Robin Hood's Bay with a cargo of paper pulp from Norway in atrocious weather conditions. I gather the crew were not impressed when they were landed by the RNLI Lifeboat to be met by two gentleman from HM Customs who asked if they "had anything to declare"!
Although it would not have been an easy life I can well understand why many of you speak so fondly about your days with this Company.
Peter4447

price
24th February 2006, 08:53
The Ship that ran aground near Ravenscar, Robin Hood in 1965, was the 'Fred Everard'. Captain Conn, [may not be the correct spelling] was master. (*))

ruud
24th February 2006, 14:57
Ahoy,

Found a very old piccie in the "old shoe box" with her details.
The Centurity, scanned from Hippo Books 1962 British Tramps & Colliers.

dnobmal
24th February 2006, 19:47
Was on the Security in summer of 56 as my mother was in hospital so I took a coaster,Conn was the master he was from Sunderland/Tyne the mate was Samuellsen a Norwegian and then me,7 weeks was enough.When he knocked the deck crew off of an evening Conn would tell them to leave their gear and he would go out and do some chipping himself,[a real company man.]and this was when we were on passage.

Nairda59
26th February 2006, 21:43
I spoke to the Company secretary recently about any info or photographs and to try to trace ex crew members.
He told me that all Fred's records were in the document store that was burnt to the ground some time back.
So all the old company records, photo's, historys etc etc are no longer.
What a crying shame - and they think it was vandals that caused it!!

wakaman
27th February 2006, 04:20
When I was serving my time in the 50,s two of us were sent to replace
some valves on the deck of an Everards tanker,after knocking off half an inch of paint and rust,we discovered that every nut had been welded,so it was cold chisel and hammer,apparently she,d been carrying pure alchohol;to keep the crew sober I suppose, (Fly)

Keltic Star
27th February 2006, 06:35
I spoke to the Company secretary recently about any info or photographs and to try to trace ex crew members.
He told me that all Fred's records were in the document store that was burnt to the ground some time back.
So all the old company records, photo's, historys etc etc are no longer.
What a crying shame - and they think it was vandals that caused it!!

How convenient

ruud
3rd May 2006, 09:15

It would be great to see a photograph of what I narrowly missed working on. You wouldn't think that they would call another ship 'Security' after that experience; 'Calamity' might be more appropriate.Ahoy Polarum,
Here you are,I had the opportunity that I could make a scan from the book Everard of Greenhythe by K.C.Garrett[ISBN:0 905617 58 4]photo courtesy by C.Hill.

mee
8th May 2006, 21:07
I worked for Everards in the early 80s and joined the Mairi Everard at Erith on the "bean run" to Rotterdam before such delights as Ymuiden, Dunkirk and the timber run. The captain I recall was called Bilton and the mate was an ex trawler man called Couch I think from Fleetwood. Joining the Mairi was a great introduction to ship board life having come out of the NSTC college at gravesend. I then joined the Ethel Everard and the crew there nick named the Mairi as the " manky Mairi" all in jest. If anyone knows what finally became of the Mairi or the Ethel I would appreciate an update and a photo.

Many thanks

DMA
8th May 2006, 23:34
Anyone know what became of the 'Penelope Everard' did the one trip out of Preston in 68 to some place in Norway?? & back, not what you'd call a good experience she went down in the Irish Sea and surfaced in the North Sea.
My first & last 'Rock Dodger'.
Appreciate any photos if out there.

ruud
9th May 2006, 00:06
Ahoy MEE & DMA,

Will post them tomorrow, so please be patient.

ruud
9th May 2006, 09:35
I worked for Everards in the early 80s and joined the Mairi Everard at Erith on the "bean run" to Rotterdam before such delights as Ymuiden, Dunkirk and the timber run. The captain I recall was called Bilton and the mate was an ex trawler man called Couch I think from Fleetwood. Joining the Mairi was a great introduction to ship board life having come out of the NSTC college at gravesend. I then joined the Ethel Everard and the crew there nick named the Mairi as the " manky Mairi" all in jest. If anyone knows what finally became of the Mairi or the Ethel I would appreciate an update and a photo.

Many thanksAhoy mee,
As promised, here her fate/details,photos of the Ethel Everard:
Scanned from the book Everard of Greenhythe by K.C.Garrett[ISBN:0 905617 58 4]Picture courtesy by Company archieves
Ethel Everard
Built:04-1966 at Clelands Shuipbuilding Co.Ltd.-Wallsend[Yard No.287]
O.N.308116
GT:1599
NT:919
DT:2601
LOA x D x B: 85.10 x 12.50 x 5.10
Eng:Oil engine 2SA 5Cy. "P" type
Builder: Newbury Diesel Co.Ltd. Newbury
Details:
07-1975 re-engined with a 12 Cy. 4SA Oil Engine by Mirrlees Blackstone Ltd.-Stamford
06-1984:Sold to Mortek Shipping Co.Ltd.-Piraeus-Greece and renamed Angie
15-08-1985 Ran aground off the North Coast of Crete while on passage from Bar-Tripoli in ballast.
02-09-1985 Sank in position 35.28N-25.14E

ruud
9th May 2006, 09:45

Many thanksHere the fate,details,Photos of the Mairi Everard.
Scanned from the book Everard of Greenhythe by K.C.Garrett[ISBN:0 905617 58 4]Pictures courtesy by Company archieves and C.Hill
Mairi Everard
Built: 06-1974 at Clelands Shipbuilding Co.-Wallsend[Yard No.328]
O.N.363354
GT:1599
NT:1027
DT:2652
LOA x B x D:77.78 x 13.19 x 4.97
Eng:Oil Engine 4SA 16 Cy.
Builder:Mirrlees Blackstone Ltd.-Stamford
Details:
03-1990 Sold to Carisbrook Shipping Ltd.-Cowes and renamed Greta C, no further info.

ruud
9th May 2006, 09:52
Anyone know what became of the 'Penelope Everard' did the one trip out of Preston in 68 to some place in Norway?? & back, not what you'd call a good experience she went down in the Irish Sea and surfaced in the North Sea.
My first & last 'Rock Dodger'.
Appreciate any photos if out there.Ahoy DMA,
Also as promised, here her fate,details,photo of the Penelope Everard:
Scanned from the book Everard of Greenhythe by K.C.Garrett[ISBN:0 905617 58 4]Picture courtesy by C.Hill
Penelope Everard
Built:03-1963 at Clelands Shipbuilding Co.-Wallsend[Yard No.257]
O.N.304487
GT:1583
NT:969
DT:2545
LOA x D x B: 80.70 x 11.97 x 5.18
Eng:Oil Engine 2SA 5Cy. "P" type
Builder:Newbury Diesel Co.Ltd.-Newbury
Details:
08-1974 re-engined with a 8 Cy. 4SA "V" oil engine by British Polar Engines Ltd.-Glasgow
05-1984 Sold to Galatia Shipping Shipping Co. Ltd.
[Interuniversal Chartering S.A. Managers]-Valletta-Malta and renamed Panayiotis G
1985:Sold to Sykeon Shipping Co.Ltd.-Valletta-Malta and renamed Panagiotis G
1986:Sold to Saina Shipping Co.Ltd.-Piraeus-Greece and renamed Elpida
05-1996:Sold to Al Jendi Maritime-Tartous-Syria and renamed Al Ghazi J- P.o.R. Lattakia.

DMA
9th May 2006, 23:12
Hi Ruud
Many thanks for the info on "Penelope Everard' & the photo.

Jime
12th November 2006, 22:24
Hi all

I am very pleased to find info and ship pics on Everards , I call my time with them my sea apprenticeship I started as cabin boy on the old Anteriority yes a tanker as son as a job came up I was promoted to O.S.
The next ship I signed on was the Spirality The next the Sumity '
I had quite tough time one all of them but I loved it, I then made up my mind to go deep sea.

Jime

karbine
15th November 2006, 21:34
Did anyone work Everard's tugs such as the EA Everard and SA Everard?

karbine
20th November 2006, 19:26
Everards postcard for sale on ebay might interest some of you:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Postcard-M-V-GEORGINA-V-EVERARD-In-River-Thames_W0QQitemZ180052678403QQihZ008QQcategoryZ697 46QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sternlight
28th June 2007, 18:19
i was mate on astrality 1960 with peter collier and pat crain was second mate we openend up storage tanks in Ireland.for mobil oil .peter garrod.

thameswatcher
2nd July 2007, 11:42
Apparently still sailing now under the Syrian Flag as "ALI M-1"

IMO number : 7340784
Call Sign : YKNW

barnsey
4th July 2007, 14:14
It never ceases to amaze me of the wonderfull tales of Everards, mind they had well over 100 ships once upon a time so there must be many. In my 4 years aboard Worcester I guess I must have seen well over half the fleet come and go to the yard at Greenhithe from 1955 to 1959. We marched to church once a month and returned via the road past the slipway, it was always interesting yo me to see which vessel was hauled up.

They bought Hays of Glasgow and put the Alfred Everard under their colours just in time for the Thames barge race. 4 Worcester cadets were invited to follow the race aboard the Alfred Everard with a lot of invited guests and of course the Everards themselves. We ate down in number 2 hold at tables laid out in the shape of an E. Lovely meal ... but being a Worcester cadet we were always hungry so it would have been lovely no matter what.

The attached photo was taken just as we passed Tilbury entrance on the way home after quite a day. It will be interesting to see how many names can be put to the faces.....I am the cadet on the extreme right sitting on the hatch .... aged 15 at the time.(==D)

As for the Security sinking in the Elbe. I was on BP Tanker when we passed the wreck a couple of days after she had been sunk. The Pilot told us she was at anchor and shipping had been notified where she was. The ship which T-boned her saw two white lights and went between them thinking them to be on two seperate ships .... wrong. (Cloud)

Barnsey

ivor216
15th October 2007, 19:48
Reading the comments on Everard has brought memories. In the late 50s I sailed on the oil tanker Averity loading at Swansea and discharging at all the ports in the bristol channel plus the occaisional trip the Ireland. After taking leave I went up to Greenhithe and had to report to Mr. Kimber. You knocked on the hatch and he would open it and lean back, the story goes someone who he must have given a bad ship to hit him as he opened the hatch. There used to be two pubs in Greenhithe ( the White Heart and the Brown Bear ). Had many a jar in both of them

Ivor

Keltic Star
15th October 2007, 20:57
Reading the comments on Everard has brought memories. In the late 50s I sailed on the oil tanker Averity loading at Swansea and discharging at all the ports in the bristol channel plus the occaisional trip the Ireland. After taking leave I went up to Greenhithe and had to report to Mr. Kimber. You knocked on the hatch and he would open it and lean back, the story goes someone who he must have given a bad ship to hit him as he opened the hatch. There used to be two pubs in Greenhithe ( the White Heart and the Brown Bear ). Had many a jar in both of them

Ivor

Yes, Mr. Kimber and his "hatch" were certainly part of the permanent fittings at Greenhithe. Happy memories.

captkenn
16th October 2007, 01:33
Barnsey said:- It never ceases to amaze me of the wonderfull tales of Everards, mind they had well over 100 ships once upon a time so there must be many.
Have you got a couple of hours to spare? :)

captkenn
16th October 2007, 01:35
Yes, Mr. Kimber and his "hatch" were certainly part of the permanent fittings at Greenhithe. Happy memories.
Good old Edgar. He had more than one fright at his hatch!!

Bearsie
24th December 2007, 12:34
Sounds like a good company all around.
Although British coaster companies by that time were overshadowed by their Dutch and German competitors already.
As far as idiosyncracies? All coaster companies seemed to have them. :)
As an aside, most "deep sea men" never seemed to last long on coasters.
Different lifestyle I suppose....

Bill Davies
24th December 2007, 13:15
I have absolutely no experience of coasters (smallest ship I was ever on was a 'China Boat') but was recently talking to someone in North Wales who talked of a coastal company once based in Connahs Quay by the name Coppack Bros. Any info out there. Looking across in the direction of Connahs Quay from Parkgate difficult to understand it was once thriving (in my lifetime).

Invicta2k5
24th December 2007, 14:35
The Everard's smaller ships (not much bigger than barges) used to be bane of my life in the 1960s and early 1970s. I used to live on the south side of the Manchester Ship Canal and had to cross one of the three swing bridges at Warrington to get to work. The bridge would swing off to let a ship through, and, as I sat on the bus keeping one eye on my watch, I often saw just a whip aerial gliding by. The mast was the only part of the ship that couldn't freely pass under the bridge, but because the radio aerial was affixed to its top it could not be lowered.

John Gurton
26th December 2007, 13:46
I can get hold of a copy of the out of print "Everards of Greenhithe" book from the late Captain Martin Lee's collection, any offers ?

Bensjazz
27th December 2007, 23:42

you know why you're still probably wating billyboy........the town was Greenhithe, (not Greenhyth), and the man you were looking for was Mr Kimber (not Kimberley).........I'd give it another try if I were you Bill, LOL.....incidentally, I think Mr Kimber is probably retired now, as at the time of writing, he is now about 104 years old!!!....Ben

Ed Burrows
4th January 2008, 14:49
I can get hold of a copy of the out of print "Everards of Greenhithe" book from the late Captain Martin Lee's collection, any offers ?
John,
I am interested in ''Everards of Greenhithe'' if it is still available - 10? (I have no idea what it is worth) + postage?
Ed Burrows

ruud
4th January 2008, 17:00
John,
I am interested in ''Everards of Greenhithe'' if it is still available - 10? (I have no idea what it is worth) + postage?
Ed Burrows
Ahoy Ed,
Very difficult to get,I'd bought mine[used]a while ago,and was quite expensive.

tony poutch
4th January 2008, 17:49
Sounds like a good company all around.
Although British coaster companies by that time were overshadowed by their Dutch and German competitors already.
As far as idiosyncracies? All coaster companies seemed to have them. :)
As an aside, most "deep sea men" never seemed to last long on coasters.
Different lifestyle I suppose....
I left Blue Flue for a time in 1970 and got a few jobs off Barney Crossan in Dublin one being the ALFRED EVERARD Dublin Gothenburg Belfast i had agreat experience for a few months sailed with some grand lads but like you say a different life style which has it own demands

barrypriddis
6th January 2008, 20:14
I remember Barniy Crossan from my time with Everards on the Dublin/Belfast/Gothenburg run when on the Supremity/Fred Everard/Suavity. He was the Union Rep at the time and I have good memories of him.

Burned Toast
6th January 2008, 21:27
I'm sure that a cement built ship came into South Dock Sunderland. Was called Grit owners Everards ?

dontaylor1
8th January 2009, 20:41
i sailed on a few of freds in late 60s-early 70s we were running from goole to pompey on the stability ,penning out of oceon lock [goole] with stevie clarke ships and longstaffes they all battened down ready for sea [mcgregor hatch covers] and we had just niceley finished throwing hatch boards and tarpoleons about. freds only carried four on deck on thatclass of ship usually 2 abs and 2 os those ships also rarely had radar i remember an old capt we had on her saying if fitting a radar knocked a man off the deck there would be one up there,
nevertheless they wasnt bad old ships to be on i did sail on a couple of newer ones later and they where ok good runs to baltic ports.

steve goldswain
4th February 2009, 02:34
hi i was on the mv agility in 75 h j woods was the skipper and the mate was from texal

Dave Filmer
7th February 2009, 12:51
Having grown up in the Thames/Medway area I knew quite a few seafarers sailing with Everards . One particular friend was A.B on the wheel one night and the 2nd mate was asleep on the chartroom settee. The old man came up onto the bridge, didn't like what he saw and promptly demoted the 2nd mate to deckhand and told my friend to go aft and bring his gear midships he was now 2nd mate.
Another acquaintance had 3 dicharge entries in his book from the same ship one as 2nd eng. one as A.B and one as cook. Those were the days before STCW. Who said men can't multi-task.

richard bellamy
9th February 2009, 04:29
i joined ft everard in the early 1970s, but actually worked for a division called everard transport services in the traffic office.Would love to trace any people involved in ETS around that time. Can recall ken levy and a welsh guy who actually worked on the bulk storage side as well. ETS was disbanded shortly after i left abt 8 yrs later and then joined stolt nielsen...

Henry G Perry
13th December 2009, 21:39

THE NAME WAS MR KIMBER THATS WHY YOU NEVER GOT A REPLY h g p

sternlight
3rd June 2010, 19:49
Yes I remember the Astrality, I sailed in her in 1961, her master at the time was Peter Collier who together with the mate, kept a collection of vintage and classic motor bikes in the centrecastle. We used to transit the Manchester Ship Canal, I can remember having to lead the main telescopic topmast wire over the fiddley and down to the mooring winch on the poop, because there wasn't a winch on the main deck, or something like that. If I remember correctly the 3 cylinder Doxford used to push her on at a fair speed [ex Bolma of Shell]. (*)) .

I was 1st.mate with peter collier 1959 chief eng was Tonks trading to the BALTIC and northern Ireland the second mate had a motor bike .
Pat Crain was second mate . to contact me s.p garrod @ hotmail .co.uk

sternlight
3rd June 2010, 19:55
I Was 1st Mate On The Asrality In 1959 With Peter Collier And Pat Crain
Was 2nd. Mate Chief Eng . Was Tonks We Was Trading To The Baltic
And Northan Ireland . To Contact Me .s.p.garrod@hotmail .co.uk

chadburn
3rd June 2010, 20:45
Any of you Everards men remember a 2nd Engineer called Terry Page a former Yorkshire Schoolboy Boxing Champion.

jmd999
17th August 2010, 20:54
Hi all,

Sorry if not approp place, my dad, Fred Ditty who retired from F T Everards in 2000 passed away last week, he sailed on Mairi Everard, Superiority, Sanguity as Chief Eng

stevemim
17th August 2010, 21:37
I left Blue Flue for a time in 1970 and got a few jobs off Barney Crossan in Dublin one being the ALFRED EVERARD Dublin Gothenburg Belfast i had agreat experience for a few months sailed with some grand lads but like you say a different life style which has it own demands
Hi,Tony,
I was on the Alfred Everard 69/70 also got the job from Barney Crosson the N.U.S.rep.in Dublin,whatever happened to him?
Dublin Belfast Sweden in mid winter must have been mad,our paths may have crossed cant recall a fellow Dub aboard now though.
Steve.(K)

The 2nd. Mate
18th August 2010, 19:23
Hi all

Two things I will always remember about Everards:
They always had their ad.on the rear cover of "Sea Breezes" in the 50's.

One of the finest acts of shiphandling I ever witnessed was at Burghead where my Son and I were on a photographic holiday. I remember the skipper in his Bermuda shorts and highly colourful shirt take her right round the knuckle, straight into the cut and out to sea.

Can't remember her name.

No doubt I could have ended up with Fred's but went to Wilson's instead

Cheers

Ian

desperate
20th August 2010, 11:05
hy guys, my first trip was on FT Everards 'Simularity', and most of their ships ending in 'ity' were known as 'yellow pearls' as they were all yellow, back in the 60's Everards had quite a big fleet of coasters.

desperate
25th August 2010, 19:53

It would be great to see a photograph of what I narrowly missed working on. You wouldn't think that they would call another ship 'Security' after that experience; 'Calamity' might be more appropriate.

hya m8, i have put a pik of'security' on the coaster section for you to see.

Jbrignall
25th November 2010, 15:00
hi does anyone remember my father Victor Brignall engineer

david.hopcroft
29th November 2010, 20:32
In Feb/Mar 1964, I was RO on the Marchon Trader, and remember swapping weather info with the Captain of the Fred Everard coming up the Bay. We had quite a few chats and I even spoke to him again when I came ashore to Humber Radio. I wish I could remember his name. He must have been on the 'Fred' for many years. West country accent as I remember.

David
+

duquesa
29th November 2010, 20:56
May have been Trethewy. Fine chap.

JOHN.T
29th November 2010, 21:09
Ahoy,

Found a very old piccie in the "old shoe box" with her details.
The Centurity, scanned from Hippo Books 1962 British Tramps & Colliers.

Hello Ruud
I sailed on Freds- Azurity, Auspicity, Aqueity, Argosity, Atonality and Flexity all between 1955 and 1959, have photos of most, but can not find Flexity anywhere ( which reminds me I when I when to join her was low tide at Cliffe Quay and from the Quay she looked very small - I had just come from deepsea!!)
On another subject did you ever come across the 'Rapide' Dutch skipper owned which sailed on the Paris run when I was Mate of the 'Somme' at the time. Best John.T.

price
30th November 2010, 10:38
Hello John T; Yes I remember the "Rapid" well, I think she was on charter to G.T. Symons, she used to run with us from Convoys Wharf Woolwich to Austerlitz, Paris. I remember the young mate, he was quite a character, had a few runs ashore with him. You might know Trader, a member of this site, he was also mate of the Somme. Bruce.

JOHN.T
1st December 2010, 14:43
Apart from the skipper of Rapid and his family who used to be with him in the summer (daughters Inga & Bea ) he had an engineer who came from Amsterdam who reckoned he could understand our english better than the skipper's dutch (as the family came from Delfzijl ) can't find photo of Rapid anywhere tried to trace it when I was up there several years ago, but couldn't find it.Were you with the coasters registered in Jersey ? And is Convoy wharf in Woolwich or Deptford I know the one in Deptford and think I joined the 'Ainse' there Best JOHN.T

price
1st December 2010, 19:24
Hello John T; I was with G.T.Symons, Paris London Line, the Jersey registered ships I think were probably Locket and Wilson's. Convoys wharf at Woolwich was next to Seimens Cables, Warspite Road, on the border with Charlton.
Bruce.

JOHN.T
2nd December 2010, 16:57
Hello again Bruce, Convoys obviously had two wharves, one at Deptford they are trying to stop a planning development, as the old drydocks lay under existing car park and would be lost forever if they developed that site.
Not sure who was who on the Paris vart, However at one time I picked up the Mates job on the Fauvic new one for Paris run and had to go to Ghent to bring her back(they had just bought it) however when after a rough trip we arrived back, on the quay was a Mate to take over ( without the dock office being told I was being used, for delivery as their Mate was on holiday!!) - so complained to office and got given the city of Brussels- much better.
Hope weather not to bad for you in Wales, lot of snow here in central France
Keep warm JOHN.T

KEN WILLIAMS
27th June 2011, 10:29
Hi I Was On The Adapity July /54 Till May /55 Then On The Alingity The The Spontnity Came Ashore Late 56 What A Great Company To Work For I Came To Live In Newzealand In Feb 66 I Would Like To Contack Any One Who Was On Everards At That Time My Name Is Ken Williams Lived In Grays Till I Came To N.z

BillH
27th June 2011, 13:33
I was 1st.mate with peter collier 1959 chief eng was Tonks trading to the BALTIC and northern Ireland the second mate had a motor bike .
Pat Crain was second mate . to contact me s.p garrod @ hotmail .co.uk

Peter Collier became Harbour Master at Londonderry in the late '70's I believe and subsequently named a harbour tug after himself - PETER C.

linda forbes
21st July 2011, 20:31
my uncle jimmy farley was captain of the aquity and first mate was robert chaddock this was in the early sixies have anyone got any information of this coaster

linda forbes
21st July 2011, 20:33
my uncle jimmy farley was captain of the aquity and first mate was robert chaddock this was in the early sixies have anyone got any information of this coaster

(Jester)(egg)

Wribbenhall
22nd July 2011, 07:37

Hello Linda,the vessel's name is ACUITY.

Motor tanker ACUITY
Official No. 169460
GRT 891
DWT 971
Length Overall 61.4m
Beam 9.8m
Engine Diesel single screw 9.5 kts.
Completed 4/2/46 as EMPIRE TEDSHIP for British Govmt(registered Glasgow), by Inglis of Pointhouse.
1947 Transferred to Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co, renamed FISCHERIA (regd London)
1951 to 1967 With Everard & Sons(London) renamed ACUITY
1967 to Bettamar Carriers,Mogadishu,Somalia,renamed VITTORIOSA(Somali flag)
1969 to other Italian interests of Castellamare di Stabia,,Italy .Renamed NEPTUNIA TERZA (Italian flag)
1975 Broken up at Vado Ligure 21/4/75.

Kind Regards

W.B.H.
(Click on thumbnails to enlarge pictures)

price
22nd July 2011, 09:12
There was the Aqueity as well. Bruce.

len mazza
22nd July 2011, 09:44
Hi Ken,(post74)I did my first trip on the Similarity in 1955,she sailed out of Goole.Like yourself I now live in NZ., Napier to be exact.

BillH
22nd July 2011, 09:56
AQUEITY (3rd of name in fleet) (1949 - 1964) Tanker
O.N. 169471 891g. 381n. 900d. 193.0 x 32.0 x 14.5 feet.
As built: 4-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (340 x 570mm) Polar type engine by British Auxiliaries Ltd., Glasgow. 141nhp. 9kts.
Post 8.1961: 5-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (320 x 425mm) ‘5-O’ type engine by the Newbury Diesel Company Ltd., Newbury.
5.2.1946: Launched as EMPIRE TEDMUIR by A. & J. Inglis Ltd., Pointhouse, Glasgow (Yard No. 1313p) for the Ministry of Transport, London (Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Company (Eastern) Ltd., London, managers).
7.5.1946: Completed.
12.1946: Sold to Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Company Ltd., London and renamed FUSINUS.
7.1949: Sold to F. T. Everard & Sons Ltd, Greenhithe and renamed AQUEITY.
8.1961: Re-engined.
12.1964: Sold to Jos. de Smedt, Boom, Belgium for demolition but was resold to Brugse Scheepsloperij for demolition at Bruges, Belgium.
1.1965: Arrived.

Wribbenhall
22nd July 2011, 19:50
Bruce and Bill-Thank you for correcting me.
Very similar-sounding names in the same fleet-how confusing is that !

Best Regards
W.B.H.

Shipbuilder
22nd July 2011, 20:22
The SECURITY was sister to SENIORITY, SERIALITY, SELECTIVITY, SIMILARITY, SINGULARITY, STABILITY and SPECIALITY. They were painted yellow. Here is a model I completed some time ago of SPECIALITY.
In the summer & autumn of 1962, I myself sailed in the big FREDERICK T. EVERARD that was a larger version of these. The main difference was that we had two hatches forward of the bridge instead of just one. Hence my interest in Everards.
SECURITY of 1950 was sunk in collison with German coaster CARPATHIA in February 1964, Arklow towards Hamburg with a cargo of stone. Raised a month later and scrapped at Hamburg.
Bob

marco nista
22nd July 2011, 20:54
They do say that the company was never the same after they lost the VIRGINITY

73s

Marco

Keltic Star
23rd July 2011, 04:03
Hello Linda,the vessel's name is ACUITY.

Motor tanker ACUITY
Official No. 169460
GRT 891
DWT 971
Length Overall 61.4m
Beam 9.8m
Engine Diesel single screw 9.5 kts.
Completed 4/2/46 as EMPIRE TEDSHIP for British Govmt(registered Glasgow), by Inglis of Pointhouse.
1947 Transferred to Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co, renamed FISCHERIA (regd London)
1951 to 1967 With Everard & Sons(London) renamed ACUITY
1967 to Bettamar Carriers,Mogadishu,Somalia,renamed VITTORIOSA(Somali flag)
1969 to other Italian interests of Castellamare di Stabia,,Italy .Renamed NEPTUNIA TERZA (Italian flag)
1975 Broken up at Vado Ligure 21/4/75.

Kind Regards

W.B.H.
(Click on thumbnails to enlarge pictures)

I was Mate on her in 1963, Masters were Les Bowler and Alfie Fisher

chip50
8th August 2011, 15:41
my dad sailed with everards for many years ... as both 1st mate and skipper ... some times both at the same time ... i would be interested in talking to anyone that knew him ... thanx

duquesa
8th August 2011, 17:58
Never heard of a "Capt Chip50"! Name might help.(*))

chip50
9th August 2011, 13:47
sorry ... captain eric peter walter chiappino....but he was first mate for alot of years to

eifion jones
11th August 2011, 23:41
Hi was in everards as engineer 60s and 70s , my dad was master on them 57 to 69. His name was W O Jones perhaps older members might remember him best on the Petertown of Loverings , Cardiff

dudley-ward
30th September 2011, 12:15
Does anyone remember The Astrality I remember her being the biggest of the fleet in 1957. I went from her on to the Acuity before going deep sea. Really good times for six months on the Acuity . Skipper was Fisher,mate was Len Sallis, second mate Johnny Fareham and the chief Engineer was Growcock.

Fareham was skipper of Amity in 4/63 . I was his 1st mate. He was relieved by skipper Watson. I was with Fisher for a very short time 6/63 on the Acuity.

dudley-ward
30th September 2011, 13:05
The mans name was Mr Kimber Billy Boy and so long as you were out of work you got a job

I well remember Mr Kimber, he never failed me in support and work.
D-W

dudley-ward
30th September 2011, 13:12

Hello Linda, I served with a Farley, did Jimmy manage a pub at some- time.
D-W

dudley-ward
1st October 2011, 09:13
hy guys, my first trip was on FT Everards 'Simularity', and most of their ships ending in 'ity' were known as 'yellow pearls' as they were all yellow, back in the 60's Everards had quite a big fleet of coasters.

yellow peril we used.

BillH
1st October 2011, 10:18
yellow peril we used.

Read an "advance notice advert" in Marine News the WSS magazine recently that an Everard / Wharton fleet history on CD is to be published with some others toward the end of this year and full details would follow

Watching closely to see if it happens

BillH

desperate
1st October 2011, 14:14
yellow peril we used.

like it !

dudley-ward
1st October 2011, 14:45
like it !

Where in Cornwall

desperate
2nd October 2011, 13:55
Where in Cornwall

am not far from lands end, used to ship out from falmouth pool, gd days.

dudley-ward
2nd October 2011, 15:08
am not far from lands end, used to ship out from falmouth pool, gd days.

Ran into Par a few times with the Allegrity. Stayed the war years at Tregrham mills and visited in 63 but wondered how much it has changed. It was a lovely place. Allegrity was lossed Falmouth area.

desperate
2nd October 2011, 23:44
Ran into Par a few times with the Allegrity. Stayed the war years at Tregrham mills and visited in 63 but wondered how much it has changed. It was a lovely place. Allegrity was lossed Falmouth area.

i worked on 'mv trevisco' in mid 60's, owned then by ECLP, had a regular run from Par to Paris, if the weather was gd had 3 trips a wk , wooden hatches, but was young and fit then..

Chris B
19th October 2011, 20:46
Hi Linda, I visited the Aqueity on the Manchester Ship Canal at Stanlow and your father Jimmy was Master. My father Norman Banner was Mate at the time and I also visited the pub he had many years later with my parents which was the last time I saw him.
Regards,

Chris

Chris B
19th October 2011, 20:57
Apologies Linda I misread your post and now realise Jimmy was your uncle.

Regards,

Chris B

Union Jack
28th October 2011, 17:06
...... has crossed the bar, aged 91, see
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/naval-obituaries/8853813/Lieutenant-Commander-Tony-Spender.html which tells quite a tale

Posted in the event that some of you at Everards may have known him in the 1970s.

Jack

barney crossan
11th January 2012, 00:20

HI Lads,
Barney Crossan here.Still alive and Kicking and having an odd drop of whiskey.I retired 20 years ago and still living in Dublin.Good to see some old familiar names.I am new on the internet and if any of you would like to send me an email is is barneycrossan@gmail.com

barney crossan
11th January 2012, 00:21
HI Lads,
Barney Crossan here.Still alive and Kicking and having an odd drop of whiskey.I retired 20 years ago and still living in Dublin.Good to see some old familiar names.I am new on the internet and if any of you would like to send me an email is is barneycrossan@gmail.com

ECW
28th January 2012, 16:16
I recall that my ex father in law Capt. Richard T Williams from Anglesey was the Captain of an Everard's vessel in the 50's and 60's, the Seriality springs to mind as one of two or three he Captained for them.

Barrie Youde
28th January 2012, 16:55
Hi, Lizzie!

I had not realised that the daughter of Captain Williams had married the son of Captain Williams. It's beginning to sound incestuous!

Speaking of which, this week my 19 year old daughter Anni reported home from University that she had been awarded a First in an essay. She is reading anthroplogy. On enquiry as to the subject of the essay, the answer was "incest" - to which a friend observed that it's a good job that the examination was written rather than practical!

ECW
28th January 2012, 18:17
Hi, Lizzie!

I had not realised that the daughter of Captain Williams had married the son of Captain Williams. It's beginning to sound incestuous!

Speaking of which, this week my 19 year old daughter Anni reported home from University that she had been awarded a First in an essay. She is reading anthroplogy. On enquiry as to the subject of the essay, the answer was "incest" - to which a friend observed that it's a good job that the examination was written rather than practical!

Perish the thought (Whaaa) Lol!

My sincere congrats to your daughter Anni ............... as to your friends comment .......................Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

Barrie Youde
28th January 2012, 22:36
Memories of Everard's shipmasters?

Donald O'Donnel of Cork. (Audacity?) A most charming Irish gentleman. "For Christ's sake, pilot, she's only 600 horse-power, and half of them are dead!"

Arthur Watson (Anonity?) - Fackin' Arfa - the master of the glottal stop!

Mick Lee - Annuity? - One of the first to have open heart surgery - and proud to show his scar.

Desperately underpowered in engines, but what splendid training in ship-handling! With a yellow peril there were only two usable speeds in manoeuvring - Dead slow ahead and full astern - Once that lesson had been learned - life was very pleasant!

In the mid 1970s came the 14knot tankers - an innovation and something completely different "from Aunty Ethel". Life was never again quite the same.

On the Mersey, all was serviced from the office at Bromborough, managed by Mr Goughin. ("The Goff")

chris mackenzie
2nd February 2012, 22:15
i was ab couple of times on stability,mairi,and a little liquid pig fat tanker running holland to pura pura ,canningtown,also o.s on agility.the yellow ones we called perils not pearls

ex-Danny
7th May 2012, 15:54
Has anybody got photos of the following Everard Ships:

Astrality
Supremity
Alacrity
Acclivity
Centricity
Sedulity
Fred Everard
Seniority
Georgina V. Everard
Similarity

I served on all of these for varying lengths of time from a couple of weeks to six months.

Thanks

Rick Wilmot aka Danny

Erimus
7th May 2012, 17:56
In the late 50'S as the most junior of clerks at Constantines in Middlesbrough i had to go daily to Custom House to pay dues on the Allurity which ran constantly from the Tyne to Tees and Wear as bunker barge.....we never ever saw anyone from the ship and all mail went to Tyne agents....Hull & Chicken ltd.

geoff

stores
7th May 2012, 18:15
Has anybody got photos of the following Everard Ships:

Astrality
Supremity
Alacrity
Acclivity
Centricity
Sedulity
Fred Everard
Seniority
Georgina V. Everard
Similarity

I served on all of these for varying lengths of time from a couple of weeks to six months.

Thanks

Rick Wilmot aka Danny

hi, try PHOTOSHIP.COM lots of Everards ships.

ragusa
16th May 2012, 09:00
Hello Barney, Great to hear you still about . Thanks for taking me to Dublin as i was departing for NZ , Joe Lambe

chokeslamcena
2nd December 2012, 19:44
Hi guys,

Hope ye won't mind me joining your thread.

Was looking to see if anyone had any information on a Patrick Maguire? Apparently was on 'Stability' in the mid/late 60's (67, I think). Had an issue and possibly ran aground (or such) causing blockage in the Thames briefly?

(I know those details are sketchy, but that's all I have to go on, and looking to find out more about said Thames incident).

Cheers,

Shane

geri
11th June 2013, 15:22
I have many happy memories of my time with Everards as a engineer serving on both dry cargo and tankers the guidance { career wise } from the then chief engineer was in valuable

geri
11th June 2013, 15:24
That chief engineer was shore based named Mr Robinson

The Sailorman
9th November 2013, 13:30
Hi I severed on the M /V FESTIVITY In 1957 The M/V ARDUITY 1959 & The M/V SEDULITY in 1966 & enjoyed them all wish I was younger & they was
still about to day
Dennis P

brian stewart
9th April 2014, 19:43
In about 1947 I sailed on board the sailing barge Will Everard. I believe the Captains name was Uglow. Although a guest, myself and my friend both joined in with the sailing of the vessel. It was an eventful trip as whilst sailing from Keadby to the Thames with a cargo of coal we met a severe gale off Lowestoft following which we were towed in to Harwich by another Everard coaster. Following this I was invited to join the committee of the Thames Sailing Barge Match Committee and was on it until the final centeenary race when it was disbanded.
In 1953 I was a guest on board the MV Singularity together with her aptly named launch Hilarity. The occasion was the Spithead Review. I have a lot of photographs of this occasion which I am happy to donate to any archivists. The photos have labels on the reverse side listing those in them. I also have four slightly faded prints of the Will Everard and other Thames barges from which I am happy for anyone to try to make copies.
I was for many years the chairman of the committee that ran the Sir Winston Churchill and Malcolm Miller.
My firm was the leader of the insurance for the Everard fleet at Lloyd's and it was through this that I sailed on the Will Everard.
Sailing has dominated my life and I still sail my own yacht ZULU

barnsey
9th April 2014, 22:51
Brian ..it would be wonderfull if you could post the photos on this site ...there will be a lot of people who would be very interested to see them.

David

price
10th April 2014, 10:31
Hello Brian; I knew Jim Uglow when he was master of the Will Everard, and later in the Brown Bear, I think his mate on the Will was Paddy, who, I believe took command of the Will Everard on Jims' retirement. Many years later, we asked Jim if he could suggest any names to crew a run job out the Persian Gulf. Jim recruited a run crew and, for good measure came along himself for the trip, that was Spring 1967. Jim published his autobiography, "Sailorman" a bargemasters story in 1975, published by Conway Maritime Press ISBN 085177 0851, written by Captain Jim Uglow MBE.

Bruce

brian stewart
10th April 2014, 10:35
Hello Barnsey,
I would be happy to let you have the photos for putting on ths site if you are prepsred to do the work of doing so and also have the skill.
They are all 5inches by 3and a half inches black and white prints and each has a label on the back describing it. In many cases it lists the names of the people appearing. Some are photos of other vessels at the Spithead Review. Some of the gusts were still on board for a trip up the Seine and some of the photos were of this.
I was the youngest guest on board and I am now 87 so I doubt if many appearing are still alive. However some of the crew were probably younger and thus may still be alive.
Brian

jmcg
10th April 2014, 11:27
Not much mention of Sanguity on this thread.

She was a good little no nonsense job - but pitifully slow. Dublin /Belfast - Gothenburg/Halmstad run. Got up to Archangel for one trip cargo of lumber before the ice cap set in.

Generous enough with o/t in port but never paid over and above. The OM was of the old school ; the mate was almost 70 yers old and had served as OM with Everards, retired but could not settle ashore and returned to sea.

Fond memories of a Russian damsel that caused me to forfeit any further shore leave! Two more weeks of incarceration on the Yellow Peril.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

sibby
10th April 2014, 17:23
I sailed on the Simultaneity, Sonority and the Clarity in the sixties. Had the privilege of sailing with Charlie Yarham, skipper, and Pete Mackay as mate, on all three ships. Happy days. My step father sailed as mate with Everards in the fifties and his father was skipper on the sailing barge Greenhithe.

barrypriddis
10th April 2014, 20:33
Hi Brian
Would be really interested in seeing your photos.
Like Barnsey, I was on Worcester and well remember the Sarah, Veronica and Dreadnaught and the pristine condition they were kept in.

balmoral queen
21st July 2014, 14:44
Hello Sibby,
I too was mate on the Clarity with Charlie Yarham, I relieved Peter Mackay. One trip we had from Rotterdam to Liverpool was when the Torrey Canyon had piled up and there was a possibility of shipping being sent round the Scillys. Old Charlie was quite indignant, "40 years I bin at sea and I've never even seen the bloody Scillys". I was able to reassure him that I had... Also mate on the Sonority with old man Willis.

sibby
21st July 2014, 15:31
Hi Balmoral Queen. I paid off the Clarity end of 1968. Charlie Yarham was the best skipper I ever sailed with and Pete Mackay was a bloody good bloke. He was told he was going to get his own ship the next year and he wanted me to go as mate, unfortunatley I was unable to take up the job. Do you know what happened to Pete? I lost touch with him. I believe he did get his own ship.

balmoral queen
21st July 2014, 17:22
Hello Sibby, Yes, Pete did get his own ship, one of the yellow perils. I can't remember which one, but I did take tea onboard with him in Goole one afternoon, 73 ish. It was when Everards were building the 900 tonners at Goole.
Nice hearing from you.

balmoral queen
21st July 2014, 17:26
Sibby P.S.
I think I heard Pete bought a chippy up north. I might be wrong.

sibby
21st July 2014, 19:36
hello balmoral queen, thanks for your reply. Pete started out as a baker in Wick,where he was born. when I sailed with him over two broken years I got to know his partner Gillian. A very well bred woman, but no airs and graces. I used to stay with them weekends whenever we had weekends up the Thames or Ipswich. They lived in an old vicarage near Sudbury Suffolk . I kept in touch until about 1970 then lost touch. As for Charlie someone could write a book about him. He started his sea career as a cook decky on sailing barges. Once again thanks for your reply.As this site says, ships nostalgia.

Sparky's Nephew
27th July 2014, 14:18
Do any of you old Everards men remember my great uncle Leslie Charles Burrows (who died earlier this year)?

He was sparky on the Solidarity when it foundered off Norway on 4 March 1951. He definitely remained in the merchant navy as my great aunt Shirley (his little sister) has a photograph of my great grandparents, herself, Les and Les's then girlfriend at a masonic ladies' night in 1953, and Les is in uniform. I am assuming that he stayed with Everards - although he might not have done.

If there's anyone here who knew him, I'd love to hear a few reminiscences.

(I'm wondering if the Ed Burrows who posted on this thread a few years back is related??)

Jackoyohoho
16th October 2014, 23:40
Hi, just found this site after googling Penelope Everard. I did a few trips on her in 1973 as a Catering Boy. I grew up very quickly once it was explained to me by the chief steward what would happen if I cocked up any meals for the crew!

I recall that the skipper was Captain Healey, the brother of Dennis Healey (the sometime Labour Chancellor of the Exchequer). My cabin was right next to the night generator, so when docked, sleep was not really an option! On occasions, if the customs hadn't boarded due to a night arrival in port, 'I had a friend' who was skinny enough to get through the porthole and shin down the rope into town with a few hundred Rothmans to offer to the nearest publican looking for a deal! Couldn't get anywhere near getting out of the porthole these days.

After I paid off, I believe that I was replaced by a larger lad from Barry, and I was told that a couple of weeks later he was killed in a fire started by a generator fault. Dunno how much truth there was in that story, but I was led to believe that he didn't have the same build as me to have had a chance at the porthole exit.

Loved the ship, it was just that in the early 70's a sixteen year old lad had difficulty in telling his shore based mates the full name of the ship he was on. I just used to refer to it as the MV Penelope to my mates when they asked. It just removed the Larry Grayson themed ribbing!

John Hunt
20th October 2014, 22:01
Hi Desperate Dan
Think you will find the yellow ships were known as the yellow perils. I sailed on the Seriality back in 1957 with a hard case skipper J Taylor then with a gentleman J Lewis, although most of my time was spent deep sea.