Tyne Tees Steam Shipping Co

Tony D
20th May 2004, 21:59
Did about nine months on the Neatherlands Coast,in 1964 or thereabouts, one of her sisterships Cyprian Coast(might have been the Frisian Coast ones memory grows dim) sank at the Newcastle quayside, remember watching her being raised as a sprog.
The Neatherlands Coast, did Amsterdam Rotterdam back to Gateshead quay every week, after a while one though, "I might as well be working in a factory"
The only notable thing that occured was, due to circumstances beyond ones control one got a VNC off her,missed her at Gateshead, one was the laughing stock of the pool, Gateshead being my home town.
Captain Fisher was a interesting chap, he had a old Rolls Royce and a wooden leg, the old Rolls would be left parked under the Tyne Bridge for the duration of the voyage, the wooden leg he took with him.

:yel:

Jeff Egan
26th July 2005, 15:41
Did you ever come across a skipper nicknamed Digger

Tony D
15th February 2006, 10:54
Sorry for the tardiness of the reply,the only other Tyne Tees Captain I knew was called Right or more likely Wright,he relieved Captain Fisher a couple of times he rejoiced under the nickname of Seldom,he liked dressing like a destroyer Captain,white silk muffler and binocs round his neck and such,he was much given to shouting lots of engine telegraph orders,as I recal Captain Fisher had a Tyne Pilots ticket so it would be about twenty minutes from entering the Piers at Tynemouth to ringing finish with engines at the Gateshead quay,Seldom took about two hours for the same journey.
(*))

Jeff Egan
15th February 2006, 11:31
Pilotage at that time on the Tyne was non compusory unless you carried passengers, some masters of small ships who visited the Tyne regularly did not take a pilot, but they did not have a Tyne Pilots "Ticket" Such a thing did not exist. To take twenty minutes from the Tyne Piers to All fast at Gateshead quay would mean the ship would have to do about 30 knots up the river if the tie up time was disregarded. The speed limit on the Tyne at that time was and still is 6 knots maximum. I dont seem to remember Tyne Tees ships being able to reach speeds of 30 knots. The normal time for a small ship from Tyne piers to all fast at gateshead quay would be about 1 hour 45 mins to two hours so it would seem Seldom Wright was on this occasion Quite Wright.

Tony D
15th February 2006, 12:46
Well one was a seafarer and we have a tendency for exageration., (*))
Yer right about the Pilot we only ever picked one up if we had passengers ,they tended to be young lads from the office who wished a few nights out in Amsterdam,once we had left the piers and submerged though they seldom left their cabins.
Mind you though ones memory grows dim one is sure Old Captain Fisher did it a bit swifter than a hour and forty five minutes,perhaps the waters of Tyne were a tad thinner then allowing a swifter passage.
(*))

zelo1954
15th February 2006, 13:17
The Neatherlands Coast, did Amsterdam Rotterdam back to Gateshead quay every week.
:yel:

I remember in the late 50s the Netherlands Coast was a regular at Corporation Quay, Sunderland with silver sand for the glass-works. Were you ever on that run?

Tony D
15th February 2006, 13:40
Indeed one recals toward the end of my time on her we did bring silver sand to Sunderland which was most annoying as it meant I would not see my bird that night,
I remember Captain Fisher used to send me along the quay in Amsterdam or Rotterdam(can't recal which now)to chase the lorry drivers around,we used to bring a lot of fruit and veg for the market in Newcastle and the drivers knew if their stuff went in last it was first out,so they tended to hang back,getting away quick from amsterdam, meant we arrived at Gateshead quay at a civilized hour and one got to see ones GF.
Also recal on the sunday afternoon in Amsterdam after dinner they used to shut everything down even the generators and everyone used to turn in,the silence used to drive me nuts,well one was a young lad full of piss and vinegar at the time and the rest of the the crowd were old timers,even got bollicked for making a noise pacing the alley way,or standing on the poop whistling.
hee hee. (*))

Jeff Egan
15th February 2006, 13:45
I would think the waters were more likley to be thicker then as the Tyne in those days was the main sewer for the whole of Tyneside!!!!! it's about 9 miles from the piers to Gateshead quay so if you stick to maximum speed limit it should take an hour and a half plus berthing time, however a lot of small ships did break the speed limit, i remember the Coast boats well and one Skipper who had I believe had visited Australia once insisting on calling everyone Digger, This was in the middle 1960s, I dont recall his real name

Tony D
15th February 2006, 14:04
Yer not wrong there, the Tyne did indeed pong a bit then,especialy in the summer as you went past the bone yard, positivley gagging it were,often wondered how the chaps who worked there got home they could not have possibly got on a bus.
(Gleam)

bert thompson
7th August 2006, 14:11
Todays Newcastle Journal reports.Hotel du Vin will plough 8million into the former Tyne Tees Shipping Company building on Newcastle City Road in Ouseburn. Around 50 to 60 jobs will be created in the 144 year old Allan House when the red brick building opens as a 42 bedroom hotel
Allan House was built for Tyne Tees in 1864
The original painted sign with the company's name is still visible above the carriage arch.