Blue Funnel Line Walter Beebee

Tom Inglis
18th June 2011, 17:50
I heard this week that the legendary Walter Beebee, many years Purser and Radio Officer in Blue Funnel Line died recently. Walter was born in Dec 1910, so successfuly made his century.
Well done Walter

Tom Inglis

Hugh Ferguson
18th June 2011, 20:01
I sailed with him in the Glaucus in 1944-a nice man indeed, one of the best.
Thanks, Tom, for posting the news, I hadn't heard.

david_crosby
24th June 2011, 03:33
I heard this week that the legendary Walter Beebee, many years Purser and Radio Officer in Blue Funnel Line died recently. Walter was born in Dec 1910, so successfuly made his century.
Well done Walter

Tom Inglis

I sailed with Walter as a Junior Middy in Ixion 1959. I suspect that Walters family have a huge library of Blue Funnel films as Walter was a dab hand with an 8mm Bolex.

Petroc
5th August 2011, 17:05
Just seen the news of Walter's death; sad, but what an innings! I sailed with him on three Australian trips in Ixion in 1960, and then again for a single trip in the (then) new Flintshire in 1964. A great man. I'll post a photograph of him in the Gallery with his 2nd R/O Alec Hay in Ixion in December 1960.
Petroc.

R651400
8th August 2011, 23:40
Petroc, Alex Hay and I were at Leith Nautical together circa 1955.
Last time I saw him was approx 1967 when I was ashore in Singapore and he was 1st R/O on I think A class Laomedon coincidentally my first Bluey.
Well I remember having lunch on board with my family, then Alex and I continuing ashore in the evening for sate at the Hotel Singapura then on to the inevitable pints of Tiger and fried prawns in Bugis Street.
Sadly I think Alex crossed the bar quite a few years back.