Ashbank

the yard
20th December 2005, 22:37
Would anyone have a Photo/information on the Ashbank - Harland and Wolff ship number 1592 - Launched in Belfast, Tuesday 27 January 1959.

ruud
21st December 2005, 00:31
Ahoy,

Here a link to a piccie:

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=77633

tanker
21st December 2005, 15:48
She became the Lib. NEWCREST in 1974 and scrapped before the middle 80s.
Gp

Tmac1720
21st December 2005, 16:05
Would anyone have a Photo/information on the Ashbank - Harland and Wolff ship number 1592 - Launched in Belfast, Tuesday 27 January 1959.
You probably already know this:-
Ashbank yard number 1592 launched 27th January 1959 delivered 2nd May 1959. Sister ship Rosebank yard number 1593 Launched 30th December 1958 delivered 3rd April 1959. Ashbank 8694 Rosebank 8693 gross tons. Both built in Belfast for Andrew Weir & Co.

the yard
21st December 2005, 22:28
To all that have taken the time to reply - Many thanks (Applause)

Sorry to be a pain - but I've also been looking a photo/information on the Crestbank - launched Friday 15 February 1957, Belfast.

So far with no success - any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tmac1720
22nd December 2005, 13:06
Crestbank details
Built H&W Belfast yard number 1549 Launched 15th February 1957 delivered 7th June 1957 6459 gross tons for Andrew Weir & Co. Sister Cloverbank yard number 1548 Launched 21st december 1956 delivered 7th March 1957.
Close relations but not exactly sisters were Carronbank yard number 1550 & Dartbank yard number 1551. The last two in the series but were very different were Garrybank yard number 1552 & Minchbank yard number 1553 this pair were 8693 gross tons.

I have photographs somewhere in my collection and I'll try to find them however I'm sure Ruud (the oracle) will beat me to it. (Thumb)

Doug Rogers
23rd December 2005, 01:45
Would be interested to see any pictures of the Dartbank, joined her in Hamburg but following an accident never sailed on her.

ruud
23rd December 2005, 10:11
Ahoy Doug,
Here a link to her:

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=89750&PHPSESSID=7abb918a3d0a659a3c963d782a3873bc

Doug Rogers
23rd December 2005, 10:46
Thanks Ruud, good one, havent seen that picture of her before..she wanst a bad looking vessel in her time...shame I never got to sail on her!!.

sean
4th January 2006, 22:33
very interesting re ashbank built harlands. from this was able to find pic fm
recommended site from my old ship avonbank but still unabe to find pic of elmbank which was my first bankboat aybody help?

the yard
8th January 2006, 22:25
Check out this site - http://www.ship-photos.com/framestart.html

I noticed the Elmbank on it at one time.

Yard No. : 1636
Vessel Type: Cargo Ship
Built: Belfast
Keel Laid: 14 January 1959
Launch Date: Tuesday 29 December 1959
Slip Number: Victoria Yard - 18
Launched By: No Naming Ceremony
Handover Date: Thursday 28 April 1960
Owner: Andrew Weir & Co.
Weight: 8694 grt
BP Length: 450 Feet
OA Length: 483-4 Feet
Breath: 62-6 Feet
Depth: 38-6 Feet
No. of Screws: Single
Speed (Approx.): ? Knots
Propulsion: Harland and Wolff - B & W Single Acting (S.A.)2 stroke crosshead, eccentric type, opposed pistons, turbo charged diesel 6 cylinder. 5,800 SHP

sean
9th January 2006, 23:52
many thanks for all info re MV Elmbank will check out site. was on her on final voyage for andrew weir/Bankline ,sold to greek owners and handed over
Shimonoseki Japan and renamed Blue Wave, March 1977.sounds like you must be an old Harland and Bluffs man best regards Sean

Hamish Mackintosh
17th January 2006, 05:34
Greetings! Anyone got a picture of the "Ivy Bank" circa 1951? she was the old Sam Yorke I think, spent close to two years in her running phosphate south to New Zealand and Ozz from Ocean Island and Narua,met a guy from Ozz the other day who worked for the jail syatem in Ozz, and he said they were "Thinking"of putting a penal colony on Narua (Night) ,a great place for one

hastieman
17th January 2006, 09:37
hi i installed the steering gear in her in the yard worked for j hastie at that time

johnmilne
12th June 2006, 05:51
Ashbank was my first ship as Deck Apprentice, a twenty month trip. Joined her in New Zealand. Captain Banach(1st trip Master) When that crew paid off in Hamburg Captain J.W. Greig joined. What a wake up call!Inspection every week no matter if you were at sea or in port.The mate was his first trip in Bank Line, got sent home from Calcutta about three months later, To my knowledge nothing to do with J W Greig. Di Rees joined as mate later when we arrived in Durban.
John Milne

iain48
12th June 2006, 20:47
many thanks for all info re MV Elmbank will check out site. was on her on final voyage for andrew weir/Bankline ,sold to greek owners and handed over
Shimonoseki Japan and renamed Blue Wave, March 1977.sounds like you must be an old Harland and Bluffs man best regards Sean

Sailed on Elmbank. 1973/4 as Lecky. She could be hard work if you didn't keep on top of the job. Picture posted as 'Lecky' in Gallery-Life on board.

Bankliner
13th September 2006, 15:21
I sailed on this ship in the mid seventies as second mate see a good pic attached.

Regards

Bank Liner

john shaw
13th September 2006, 16:22
Greetings! Anyone got a picture of the "Ivy Bank" circa 1951? she was the old Sam Yorke I think, spent close to two years in her running phosphate south to New Zealand and Ozz from Ocean Island and Narua,met a guy from Ozz the other day who worked for the jail syatem in Ozz, and he said they were "Thinking"of putting a penal colony on Narua (Night) ,a great place for one

is this the correct Ivybank?-- my caption is for 1943 though.

Hamish Mackintosh
13th September 2006, 16:35
is this the correct Ivybank?-- my caption is for 1943 though.

Got it in One ,yes that is her, thanks for that!!

pete
13th September 2006, 21:16
I think Ivybank was launched as Samyork in 1943 but the ref book I am using has been proven wrong before (like the weather forecast really!!) cheers.........pete

K urgess
13th September 2006, 21:21
Ivybank was launched as "W. Walter Husband" and was Samyork when taken over by Bankline in 1947. She was a "Liberty-type cargo ship".
I'm afraid "Seventy Adventurous Years" is not more specific than that(Cloud)

Brian.M
14th September 2006, 11:15
very interesting re ashbank built harlands. from this was able to find pic fm
recommended site from my old ship avonbank but still unabe to find pic of elmbank which was my first bankboat aybody help?

Hi Sean
Just discovered this site. I was Lecky on the Elmbank 1962/63. Can provide a picture if you have not already obtained one.

R58484956
14th September 2006, 13:04
Welcome Brianm to the site enjoy it and look forward to your postings, plenty of shipping nostalgia on this site.

Hamish Mackintosh
14th September 2006, 17:51
Ivybank was launched as "W. Walter Husband" and was Samyork when taken over by Bankline in 1947. She was a "Liberty-type cargo ship".

Yes you are right she was launched as the "W Walter Husband"one of the four day wonders, but the plaque (the big brass one) on the engineroom bulkhead , stated she was "Sam Yorke" yes with an "e", the yanks never could spell!

john shaw
14th September 2006, 18:11

Hull number 1810, built Bethlehem-Fairfield,Baltimore.

slightly more than a 4 day wonder-- laid down 27/9/43, launched 17/10/43
sold (as Samyork)1947, sunk 1965

Hamish Mackintosh
14th September 2006, 19:51
Hull number 1810, built Bethlehem-Fairfield,Baltimore.

slightly more than a 4 day wonder-- laid down 27/9/43, launched 17/10/43
sold (as Samyork)1947, sunk 1965

How was she sunk John?

pete
14th September 2006, 21:28
Hi Hamish, the info I have as follows :- 13/1/65 sprang leak in storm 320 miles East of Tokyo, broke in two, bow sank stern presumed sunk o.v. San Francisco to Kaohsiung loaded with scrap. I guess she was due to broken uo there. No note on casualties sadly however one can hope there were few of none..................pete

Tony Breach
14th September 2006, 21:38
I was 3rd mate on ASHBANK in 1964 when John Milne was there & Alfie Banach was the master ( He passed away last year ). When loaded down to her marks she was a beautiful looking ship, superbly proportioned & the Weir livery was well suited to her. Would give my eye-teeth to see her sailing past today!!!

pete
14th September 2006, 22:45
Tony, I don't want to see her sailing by I want to Sail in her as she passes by. Sorry to hear about Alfie, B****y good Ships Master. One thing I do remember about that class of ship was their superb handling ability, you cuold turn "short round" on an Halfcrown.
Cheers............pete

Hamish Mackintosh
15th September 2006, 02:18
Hi Hamish, the info I have as follows :- 13/1/65 sprang leak in storm 320 miles East of Tokyo, broke in two, bow sank stern presumed sunk o.v. San Francisco to Kaohsiung loaded with scrap. I guess she was due to broken uo there. No note on casualties sadly however one can hope there were few of none..................pete

Thanks for that Pete, one feels better when one knows ,that where one spent two happy years of ones life ,did not go to the breakers!! Like you I hope there were no Casualities! "Freddy "Hale was master when I was on her, but he must have crossed the bar years ago, as it was 1950 when I joined in Swans dry dock, and he was not a young man then! It is passing strange tho' that after two years together I have not run across anyone who sailed in her at that time.

Geoffrey
22nd September 2006, 17:15
Hi John,
Was Capt.Banach a Polish chap from Glasgow if he is then I sailed with him when he was 1st Mate on the Taybank

Regards Geoff

Les Gibson
22nd September 2006, 17:52
Doug,
I was Chief 'Lecky on that trip. Joined in Hamburg. I remember something about the lifeboat winch?
Les Gibson

Geoffrey
22nd September 2006, 17:52
Hi Tony,
I was browsing thru the site when I came across the post from John Milne in which he mentioned sailing with Capt Banach and then alas I came to your post and learned that he had crossed the bar just last year I questioned John to find out if Capt Banach was Polish and came from just outside Glasgow because if so I sailed with him as an apprentice when he was 1st Mate on the Taybank.

Regards Geoff

johnmilne
23rd September 2006, 04:03
Geoff,Captain Banach was Polish,but I am not sure where he lived in the U.K.
I reckon that he would have been interesting to sail with when Mate, one had to have dirty gear on to show him that one had been working. I spent a year with him.The fun started after he paid off in Hamburg and John Gregg joined as master.What a b"""""""" bans all over the ship.
Regards John

Tony Breach
24th September 2006, 13:24
Hi Geoff,

Yes, Alfie Banach did live in Glasgow. The story was that he came over from Poland with the free Polish forces in a submarine as an naval officer during 1939. When he later took British nationality his unpronouncable Polish name which began with a "B" was a problem & he took the name Banach using a pin on the first page of "Bs" in the Glasgow telephone directory with his eyes closed. I have no idea if there's any truth in it but it's a good yarn. Does anyone know if Banach is a Scottish or perhaps a Polish name?

Alfie was a bit stiff & formal when I sailed with him but about 6 months after I left ASHBANK I went to pay my respects to him on another ship & as a guest he was very nice & chatty & even gave me a couple of beers.
Tony

Geoffrey
29th September 2006, 15:46
John,and Tony,

Thanks guys for responding so quickly. It would appear that indeed was the first mate I sailed with nearly 50 years ago. He had indeed been in the Polish navy and also in submarines as I remember him telling me that in the Polish navy unlike the Royal Navy you did'nt volunteer for the submarine service you were sent like it or lump it! He also reckoned that the training ship ,I!m not sure but I think it was called the Baltic, had been in the same place for so long that it was aground on the detritus and much beside that had gone over the side .I found him a great guy good to work for and yes he was a bit stiff and formal at first but as time went by he mellowed He was always immaculate very much the dandy when he went ashore And smooth very smooth with the ladies I always wondered if he got his own command so I was at first delighted to find he had and then saddened to find out he had died. he must heve been a fair age however. anyway thanks again chaps

Geoff

johnmilne
30th September 2006, 04:50
Geoff, That was Alfie alright re;Dress and ladies, remember him courting two sisters at Rosario and always being immaculately dressed.
John Milne

johnb42
14th June 2009, 11:54
Ashbank was my first ship as Deck Apprentice, a twenty month trip. Joined her in New Zealand. Captain Banach(1st trip Master) When that crew paid off in Hamburg Captain J.W. Greig joined. What a wake up call!Inspection every week no matter if you were at sea or in port.The mate was his first trip in Bank Line, got sent home from Calcutta about three months later, To my knowledge nothing to do with J W Greig. Di Rees joined as mate later when we arrived in Durban.
John Milne

I can just imagine the wake up call. Never sailed with J.W. but stood-by the Hazel with him before I was transferred to the Beaver. A tough nut but fair and honnest as I recall. He used to wear his MN cap all the time to show that he was "open for business". When I left the ship he thanked me for helping him organise the daily crew visits to the doctor and told me to make sure I got the same pay on the Beaver as I was getting on the Hazel. I think on B Articles there was tonnage money and the Beaver was much smaller than the Hazel.

K urgess
14th June 2009, 13:41
Henry Allen must have sailed with J.W. then.
I can still conjure up a mental picture of Henry in full bib and tucker, cap, white gloves and all, inspecting my cabin on a Sunday morning and tut-tutting about my choice of scantily clad bulkhead decoration. [=P]