CANBERRA Calling!!!

POHeritage
21st June 2011, 14:12
Exhibition News!
Online Canberra Exhibition - Coming Soon!
This year marks the 50th anniversary of S.S. CANBERRA’s entry into service. To commemorate this and remember this remarkable ship, P&O Heritage will be launching a new online exhibition later this summer along with a new online gallery displaying selected items from our unique... collection of CANBERRA memorabilia, printed ephemera, paintings and photographs.

The exhibition will feature comments and memories from former passengers and crew and we welcome any relevant memories about your time on board CANBERRA. Please email canberra@poheritage.com with your comment/memory (no more than 150 words) and you may see it featured in our online exhibition.

Boseley
27th June 2011, 11:53
50 years ago! time passes. I was there, 17 years old, tourist class waiter.

I was promoted early from bell Boy, because P&O couldn't get enough qualified Assistant Stewards,

Bob Sendall

POHeritage
27th June 2011, 14:38
50 years ago! time passes. I was there, 17 years old, tourist class waiter.

I was promoted early from bell Boy, because P&O couldn't get enough qualified Assistant Stewards,

Bob Sendall

Bob,

Thank you so much for sharing with us! If you remember an interesting anecdote, please let us know and we may use it in our online exhibition.

P&O Heritage Collection
www.poheritage.com

Boseley
28th June 2011, 18:30
Another thing that might be of interest. I and quite a few others joined the Canberra in Belfast having done what was the last trip on the Corfu just before she was scrapped in Japan.

I remember trying to deliver messages for the Chief Steward, on this huge vessel, a very difficult task, because the signs that indicate what deck you were on, or which public room you were in, what peak number you were outside, had not yet been fitted. More that once I became utterly and completely lost and disorientated. The only thing to do was to head for daylight and try to re locate.

The Chief Steward was a very understanding fellow though, he himself getting lost more than once.

Have you realised that every member of the crew, on the maiden voyage, who are still alive, will be like me, old gits, and drawing their pensions?, and yet in some ways it seems like only yesterday, that we were crossing the Irish Sea, to Belfast, about to join, a new ship the Canberra!

Here is a photo of the said voyage, I am the waiter, thin and with hair!! Oh to do it all again!!

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/144343/title/canberra-maiden-voyage/cat/all

Bob Sendall

John Timmins
4th July 2011, 03:47
I visited the Canberra in Balboa with my parents about 1966; I was 13. This was very exciting! Ships that high could be seen from my house when we lived there. My parents commented how cheap the drinks were.
Then in 1988 I was 2nd engineer on a US flag bulk carrier, and we took a load to Haifa, Israel. The Canberra docked near us on a Christmas cruise. I went into a watering hole called the London Pride and got talking to an Englishman who was a waiter on the Canberra. I told him about visiting her as a kid in Balboa, and he said he worked on her back then as a young man. He left the sea, got married and all that, and with the kids grown decided to go back to sea for awhile.
I asked him what the biggest difference was sailing 20+ years later, and he said, "Well, I'm the only guy in my department that's not gay."

Splinter
4th July 2011, 13:13
I was never a crew member, but spent time working on her in Bremerhaven and again while she was cruising in the Med, a lot of work and a lot of good times.

Splinter.

Whaleystation
11th January 2012, 23:29
Splinter
Were you mates with Graeme Wright (aka.big jock)?

I was on Canberra from beginning 1987 till end of 1988. We had a dry dock in Bremerhaven in 1987. The propellers had been bent after going aground in Gibraltar.

grakay
9th February 2012, 14:17
I was a 3 year old when I emigrated to Australia on the maiden voyage of the Canberra. My Dad was a photographer and I still have stereo slides of the voyage as he held the franchise for 'stereo photography' - now 50 years later called 3D !
I joined the MN in 1974 and ended up as a Chief Officer with Cunard before being made redundant.

Dulcibella
10th May 2012, 12:09
My name is Ian Byard and I used to work for the P&O Managing Agents in Melbourne... Macdonald, Hamilton & Co. My claim to fame is that on the morning that Canberra came into Melbourne on her Maiden Voyage I was the third person to board her in Victorian Waters! The first was the Port Philip Pilot outside the Heads; the second was the Senior Customs Boarding Officer and then myself carrying the all important mail bag holding passengers and crew mail. The Customs Officer and I boarded Canberra from the Customs Launch, by climbing up the Jacob’s Ladder when we were off Frankston. I have a nice photograph of her at night and all lit up alongside at Station Pier, Port Melbourne, taken from Princes Pier. She was a lovely ship and it is a pity that she was not saved for the nation as a memorial to all Merchant ships and their crews lost or damaged in wartime.

Ian Byard, ex P&O Melbourne.

herky
28th September 2012, 00:58
served on canberra from may 1972 till dec 1972 as bell boy.my father peter walton served on her awhile before me as printer,he was meryvns side kick.his name was pete walton,ex royal marines

Pompeyfan
28th September 2012, 09:08
served on canberra from may 1972 till dec 1972 as bell boy.my father peter walton served on her awhile before me as printer,he was meryvns side kick.his name was pete walton,ex royal marines

I have just sent you a PM before reading this. I seem to recall your father, the name certainly rings a bell. My friend was also a printer for a while, so will ask him if he remembers your father and Mervyn, who's name also rings a bell.

As for yourself as Bell Boy, you and other Bell Boys would have been under the watchful eye of the Welfare Leading Hand, Frank Williams, a tall thin man with glasses. His cabin and shop was just down the alleyway from your cabins. I worked closely with Frank especially if one of you was admitted to my Crew & Isolation Hospital.

I arranged the first two Canberra Reunions, the last being in Bournemouth last month, but I did not arrange that one. The first two was enough for me!.

In the cruising section you will find the Canberra Steam Whistle, which I recorded when leaving Hong Kong, a sound you may well remember (Thumb)

Tommy the T
12th October 2012, 11:14
I was a crew member on the Canberra from Feb 84 till Oct 84, Joined in Sydney & left the ship in Southampton just before she went for refit at Bremehaven. Joined as a PRS & worked in the Merdian Lounge on the first trip , then worked in various rooms/bars.
Met my first wife onboard ( she was also a PRS ). I was meant to go back to the Canberra after her refit but got put onto the Royal Princess for her Maiden voyage & never served on the Canberra again.
BUT
When we heard she was to be scrapped, my wife & I booked the final cruise as passengers in Sept 97, still have all the tickets/paperwork etc including a full set of menu,s & the daily newsletter sheets from the final voyage, we also got presented with little silver plates from P&O ( all passengers got them on the final cruise ). We also took our 2 kids on the final cruise to & I believe my daughter had the last passenger birthday onboard, she was 2yrs old on 26th Sept 97.

Great memories from a great ship, the ship that brought my wife & I together.

Tommy the T