RFA Sir Tristram 'Fox' trophy

tidespring82
30th June 2011, 12:41
Does anyone know the origins of the 'Fox' trophy that used to be in the Officers Lounge on Sir Tristram. I think that it was a Vixen rather than a Dog Fox. I am trying to find out why it was presented to the ship and what for.(egg)

George.GM
30th June 2011, 14:29
Hi Peter
The fox was presented to the ship in Jan 1987 by Chief Officer Jeremy Brooks.
I don't know the reason but I will contact Monica, his widow, and see if I can find out more..
I have a reasonable photo taken on board if you would like a copy.
George

King Ratt
30th June 2011, 17:14
When I was in Tristram in 1977
the fox had a pair of miniature army boots hanging out of its rear end. Needless to say there was a sense of humour failure on the part of certain embarked Army officers.

George.GM
30th June 2011, 17:42
Rab
You saw it in '77 and it was there when I was there in 79/80.
Monica says Jeremy had retired in '87 so it looks as if the plaque on the
fox is incorrect.
She can't remember why it was presented but says he obtained it from the
IOW Hunt. Must have been before '77. Weird.
When I was there I had an "action man" model of an army officer removed from it's blood stained teeth as I thought it would make for better relations with our guests.

slick
30th June 2011, 18:22
All,
I seem to remember that after the Falklands War there was a Fox with an Action Man in its jaws and an Argentinian "Flash" on the left arm.
I of course stand to be corrected.

Yours aye,

slick

tidespring82
30th June 2011, 21:28
Gentlemen, thabk you all very much for the information. George I would love to see the photo.

Peter(K)

King Ratt
1st August 2011, 22:27
Maybe a bit late in the day but the Tristram Fox Trophy can be viewed at
http://www.historicalrfa.org/rfa-sir-tristrams-fox

Many thanks to the Historical RFA site for this.

tidespring82
3rd August 2011, 14:44
King Ratt, thank you for that I run the site along with a colleague and we are trying to record as much of the RFA's rich and varied history as we can, whether it is good bad or indifferent - as can be seen from some of the dit's we have put up.

There is still an awful lot of articles to put up, some great personal accounts of life in the RFA and some suprising items of news from down the years. If any of you kind gentlemen would like to contribute anecdotes, memories or bits of news, they will be very warmly recieved.

King Ratt
3rd August 2011, 15:02
For Tidespring82.I will try and dig out some stuff for yr site and get it posted I.D.C.

Best regards

Rab T

tidespring82
4th August 2011, 12:19
Thank you very much Rab I will look forward to reading your dit's, as I am sure our many guests around the world will.

Peter.(==D)

Sandy Mitchell
8th September 2011, 22:34
I was going to say that the fox was bought by a second officer during a run ashore from Marchwood when I was there in either 1970 / 71 or 1973 / 74 but having read the R.F.A. article I see that it was a replacement for that one.