Chief Stewards

Richard Culligan
1st July 2011, 11:25
Am trying to research a relative (Ralph Moyse - died aged 44 at Bristol) who was a Chief Steward with Cunard during and prior WW1.

My current research (mainly National Archive) indicates most records for that period were lost. Unfortunately I have no other information about him.

Can anyone confirm that or direct me to other records. Also during that period were Chief Stewards required to hold a ticket?

Thanks

Richard (R846959)

Burned Toast
1st July 2011, 14:25
Am trying to research a relative (Ralph Moyse - died aged 44 at Bristol) who was a Chief Steward with Cunard during and prior WW1.

My current research (mainly National Archive) indicates most records for that period were lost. Unfortunately I have no other information about him.

Can anyone confirm that or direct me to other records. Also during that period were Chief Stewards required to hold a ticket?

Thanks

Richard (R846959)

Richard not quite sure about certificates for Ch/Stwds, he may have had a BOT Ships Cooks certificate also a lifeboat ticket. Hope this helps in your seach.

Ray R700934

R58484956
1st July 2011, 19:50
I sailed with a CS who had a 1st class certificate on " How to cheat the company and make as much money as possible for myself"
I think it might have been an extra !st class ticket. He had a Jag.

john fraser
1st July 2011, 20:32
I sailed with a CS who had a 1st class certificate on " How to cheat the company and make as much money as possible for myself"

Must have been a relative of a Captain and Chief engineer I sailed with

Hugh MacLean
1st July 2011, 20:40
Hello Richard,
You are correct in that no personal Merchant Navy records exist for WW1. The only way to trace your man is via Crew Agreements and for this you would need the name of a ship to start you off.

Is this him: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=8505293&queryType=1&resultcount=1

You say he died aged 44, well I suppose that rules the guy above out then.

Regards

ray1buck1
2nd July 2011, 08:00
Richard
A thought occurred that as he died in Avonmouth Docks , it sounds as if it was sudden may be an accident etc, (the death cert : may also give a clue!!) in which case there may have been an inquest in Bristol which may refer to the ship that he was signed on, from which you may be able to trace back the ships he was on, as the crew agreements usually show the last ship he singed too,

Ray

Richard Culligan
2nd July 2011, 08:30
Richard not quite sure about certificates for Ch/Stwds, he may have had a BOT Ships Cooks certificate also a lifeboat ticket. Hope this helps in your seach.

Ray R700934

Thanks Ray

Richard (R846959)

Burned Toast
2nd July 2011, 09:30

Are you of a mind that Ch/Stwds were on the fiddle[=P] must have a sit down:sweat: never been called a belly robber before[=D]

Ray

Malky Glaister
2nd July 2011, 10:12
He didn't have two Jags and live in Hull!

regards Malky

Richard Culligan
2nd July 2011, 18:47
Hello Richard,
You are correct in that no personal Merchant Navy records exist for WW1. The only way to trace your man is via Crew Agreements and for this you would need the name of a ship to start you off.

Is this him: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=8505293&queryType=1&resultcount=1

You say he died aged 44, well I suppose that rules the guy above out then.

Regards

Thanks for that Hugh. Will check it out as some old records have dates incorrect.

Regards

Richard

Richard Culligan
2nd July 2011, 18:49
Richard
A thought occurred that as he died in Avonmouth Docks , it sounds as if it was sudden may be an accident etc, (the death cert : may also give a clue!!) in which case there may have been an inquest in Bristol which may refer to the ship that he was signed on, from which you may be able to trace back the ships he was on, as the crew agreements usually show the last ship he singed too,

Ray

I also wondered if there was an inquest which if it was a shipping accident details of a ship might also be found but no luck so far.

Richard

Burned Toast
2nd July 2011, 19:52
He didn't have two Jags and live in Hull!

regards Malky

Sorry mate but two jags got no higher than waiter/barman.

Ray(Flowers)