Somali/Soudan (1948)

Shipbuilder
5th July 2011, 12:54
Can anyone remember what colour the steel shelter decks and forecastle decks were painted on SOMALI/SOUDAN/CANNANORE etc please? I assume they were steel and not wood sheathed. It may have been a standard colour in all P & O cargo ships, or did it just depend on the mate's preference?
Bob

landlocked
3rd December 2011, 06:26
Can anyone remember what colour the steel shelter decks and forecastle decks were painted on SOMALI/SOUDAN/CANNANORE etc please? I assume they were steel and not wood sheathed. It may have been a standard colour in all P & O cargo ships, or did it just depend on the mate's preference?
Bob

I sailed on both in the sixties and as I recall colours were the standard P&O Buff Yellow and black
NMcF

Shipbuilder
3rd December 2011, 08:03
Still not clear though, what was buff yellow and what was black? I know the hulls were black with a white stripe and the funnels were black. What colour were the steel decks? I assume that the forecastle and shelter decks were painted steel, but then again, they may have been wood sheathed. The plans do not indicate.
Bob

peter aspinall
2nd September 2012, 00:54
boat deck, commander's deck were wooden sheathed, usual colour for steel decks was black, fosc'sle and upper steel decks could have been green. do not recall any yellow.

Shipbuilder
2nd September 2012, 08:48
Thanks for the info - all noted.
Bob