looking for cumulus ship owned by j marrs -hull

don
23rd December 2005, 12:18
does anybody have a photo of the ocean weather ship called cumulus
in the 80s she was owned by j marrs from hull, but now i think the dutch own her, i would appreciate any photos and news about the cumulus
thnks don

Jan Hendrik
23rd December 2005, 12:33
The weathership Cumulus I passed every day in the 60's on my way to work as she had a permanent berth at Parkkade in Rotterdam (next to the Maas tunnel) as long as she did not go out to sea.
I would think that Ruud may have some information on her.
I am now referring to the "old" Cumulus of the 60's and 70's....

Jan

ruud
23rd December 2005, 15:09
Ahoy,

To the best of my knowledge,she became a private yacht,after 1985, when her services were stopped and taken over from satellites.

ruud
23rd December 2005, 15:12
Ahoy,

Here some more piccies:

ruud
23rd December 2005, 15:21
Ahoy,

Here seen at my friend's site Arendnet:

http://www.arendnet.com/ click on Nievelt-Goudriaan >>> Nievelt-Korte Dienst>>>Cumulus1963

http://img92.echo.cx/img92/3013/weerschipmscumulus196319854sl.jpg
& Arendnet

don
23rd December 2005, 16:18
ahoy and ruud
thats the one thanks i worked on her in the 80s in wales
in dry dock, i think the dutch bought her for a pound coin from marrs in hull.
cheers im very happy now don

ruud
23rd December 2005, 16:24
Ahoy Don,

Yep they bought her a Pound Sterling(*)) , therefore they are called:
Going Dutch.(Applause)

don
23rd December 2005, 16:49
HI RUUD
do you have a photo of a ship called scotia i think that was a Hull ship with marrs, and also im looking for a ship and the crew of the starella
that when on a expedition with dr bollard looking for the bismark i think it was 1988, also from HULL. J. MARRS & SON
thnks

ruud
23rd December 2005, 18:26
Ahoy Don,

Could you be more precisely, with the Scotia[Year/Company/Kind of vessel?], cos I do have a "few" [100+] photos with names as Scotia in her.
About the Starella,I don't have a photo of that one,the only one I have is a fishery boat; but I thought that ship that went on with Dr.Ballard was the Northern Horizon ex Marbella-1966? Wasn't there a documentary surveying on Tv when they went for the Bismarck and the HMS Hood?

don
23rd December 2005, 18:40
hi rudd
i think the starella was owned by marrs from hull and she whent on a expedition i think it was 1986 or 1988, to look for the bismark, and to my knowledge they couldnt locate it, but i think they whent back a 2nd time and found it on the starella, then i think they another team whent on the northern horizon to find the bismark, all from hull, can u do a search in google
to see if this is correct ruud, i did once find it but cant seem to locate it now, im sure the starella was a ex Hull trawler. thnks don

ruud
23rd December 2005, 18:56
Ahoy,

Here some links, hope you'll find what you're looking for :

http://www.fleetwood-trawlers.connectfree.co.uk/starella.html

http://www.j-marr.co.uk/

don
23rd December 2005, 19:00
thnks rudd.

non descript
23rd December 2005, 20:55
Rudd, and impressive response even by your standards... well done Sir.
(Applause)

don
24th December 2005, 10:59
hi ruud
ya know the photo of the cumulus with the writing underneath it, can you translate it, does it say what the cumulus is today, or do you know what she is , is the cumulus still in service as today 2005, or as she been scrapped etc, thnks ruud, you seem to know your ships well,
im from Hull, so im after photos of these merchany navy ships and sidewinder trawlers, thnks for your help
don.

Jan Hendrik
24th December 2005, 11:09
Great stuff Ruud, your third picture of the first posting shows the ventilation building of the Maas tunnel and that is the same building you go down with your pushbike on a huge escalator, some 10 metres from the ship.

Brings back some memories.
Jan

ruud
24th December 2005, 11:56
hi ruud
ya know the photo of the cumulus with the writing underneath it, can you translate it, does it say what the cumulus is today, or do you know what she is , is the cumulus still in service as today 2005, or as she been scrapped etc, thnks ruud, you seem to know your ships well,
im from Hull, so im after photos of these merchany navy ships and sidewinder trawlers, thnks for your help
don.
Here the translation, isn't that difficult?
CUMULUS
Built:1963 Ton:1974
Wharf:Gebr. V.d wef Deest
Owner:Rijksluchtvaartdienst 's Gravenhage [charter NiGoCo]
Eng:4 T b Werkspoor 1400 hp Spd.:12,75 kn.
BRT:1974 DWT:587 LOA x B x D:71.10 x 12.83 x 6.86
Short history: Weathership
Launched as CUMULUS*
In 1975 to the KNMI-de Bilt[Royal Dutch Meteo Institution-Placed in de Bilt]
In 1985 to the UK same job,same name.
In 1995 sold and rebuilt as yacht, renamed Salem.

Jan Hendrik
24th December 2005, 13:11
And Don, in case you wonder how the Dutch can dream up a name for a town called : 's Gravenhage,
then for your info this is another name for Den Haag, or The Hague in English.
Same thing, same difference.

Up to the 60's it would be used more than Den Haag., however, today, I would say some 80 percent in Holland (or The Netherlands....) would call the city: Den Haag.

Jan

eaglehu12
18th December 2012, 21:42
in the 80s she was owned by j marrs from hull, but now i think the dutch own her, i would appreciate any photos and news about the cumulus
thnks don

http://srcmbc.org.uk/links_ships_details/petertaylor.php
there is some info on the cumulus here Don

eaglehu12
18th December 2012, 21:47
thnks don

and this is what she looks like now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyboohh/3575392515/

john nichols
3rd June 2014, 22:38
HI RUUD
do you have a photo of a ship called scotia i think that was a Hull ship with marrs, and also im looking for a ship and the crew of the starella
that when on a expedition with dr bollard looking for the bismark i think it was 1988, also from HULL. J. MARRS & SON
thnks

Hi Don
I was Master on Starella from 1986-88 including work with Ballard when searching for Bismark. Later I was on Cumulus several times (incl drydocking at Milford). She was later sold and converted to private yacht and re-named Salem (pics available on the web). I was then Master of Scotia and brought out the new Scotia where I sailed for a year before retiring in 1999. I have quite a collection of photos from all these ships.
I've not used this site before so dont know how to let you have reams of info. Does this web site frown upon using private email addresses for exchange of info etc? I'll keep an eye on this site for now.
Cheers
John

IAEGMOOH
19th August 2014, 14:30
Hi Don
I was Master on Starella from 1986-88 including work with Ballard when searching for Bismark. Later I was on Cumulus several times (incl drydocking at Milford). She was later sold and converted to private yacht and re-named Salem (pics available on the web). I was then Master of Scotia and brought out the new Scotia where I sailed for a year before retiring in 1999. I have quite a collection of photos from all these ships.
I've not used this site before so dont know how to let you have reams of info. Does this web site frown upon using private email addresses for exchange of info etc? I'll keep an eye on this site for now.
Cheers
John

John
You may be interested in my website about weather ships www.weatherships.co.uk, I have some info/pictures about all the weather ships
Paul