saint ronan lost 1959

john mullan
15th July 2011, 07:46
hello everyone I would like to hear more from hugh mcclean as i am also seaching for more info on the saint ronan built 1958 and lost july 1959

gdynia
15th July 2011, 07:53
welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage
please look here as info on her
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=6690

john fraser
15th July 2011, 08:33
hello everyone I would like to hear more from hugh mcclean as i am also seaching for more info on the saint ronan built 1958 and lost july 1959

I am almost certain that the late John Main from Burghead.Morayshire.was skipper on the Saint Ronan when she was lost.I was young at the time but remember seeing his photo in the newspapers having just been rescued. Donnie or James More may be able to help further.

john mullan
15th July 2011, 08:54
hello again thanks to john fraser the reason i am looking for information on the saint ronan is that my uncle was lost on the saint ronan on 11th july 1959 and I would like to see a crew list, this uncle also served in the merchant navy during ww2 and was involved in the d day landings he was also shipwrecked during the war and as far as I know was awarded a medal but that is all i know I do not know what the medal was I would like to hear more from Donnie and James More thanks again

Hugh MacLean
15th July 2011, 09:09
Hello John and welcome,
Can you give me the name and date and place of birth of your uncle that served in WW2.
Regards
Hugh

john mullan
15th July 2011, 09:51
Hello Hugh McClean
thanks for the info the name of my uncle was James McGlinchey
born May 1896 in Drumsurn Limavady n ireland

Hugh MacLean
15th July 2011, 11:17
Hello John,
Is this him: http://www.irishmariners.ie/printrec.php?id=376604
Regards
Hugh

Hugh MacLean
15th July 2011, 11:45
From the Times, Monday 13th July 1959.

The 7,000-ton Greek freighter Mount Athos sailed from Dover last night after having been in collision earlier in the day with the 800-ton British coaster St. Ronan, which was sliced in half and sank in two minutes according to survivors.
The Greek ship rescued seven survivors from the St Ronan, including the injured skipper, Captain John Main, who is in hospital. Three other members of the British ship are presumed drowned, though the Dover and Walmer lifeboats searched the Channel for them for serveral hours.

Regards
Hugh

john mullan
15th July 2011, 17:47
hello Hugh
This is the man who is my uncle thank you so much for this info including the newspaoer article of the time. I am very grateful to you I wonder if it is possible to find the crew list of the saint ronan on that fateful day?. I now want to find out more about his war time service on merchant ships including d day and if the story about the medal is true and what medal was it?I thank you once again

Hugh MacLean
15th July 2011, 18:20
John,
For starters then. the link I have posted confirms that he has records in the Fourth Register of Seamen [The Central Index] which covers the dates between 1918 - 1940. The original cards for this series are held at Southampton City Archives. It would be worth contacting them giving his name, date and place of birth. Important to give that RS 2 number 376604. Have a look at this link http://www.southampton.gov.uk/s-leisure/artsheritage/history/maritimehistory/centralindex.aspx which will give you contact details and other information. This should cost you 15.

He should also have details in the Fifth Register of Seamen which will cover from January 1941 until his death in 1959. These records will be held at the National Archives Kew. I will give you details of how to obtain these later unless someone else comes in with the info.

Regards
Hugh

billyboy
15th July 2011, 22:26
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. As you can see this site is a wealth of information. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

john mullan
16th July 2011, 07:22
hello Hugh
thank you so much again for the info on how to trace my uncle's maritime records I will persue this as soon as i can and I will let you know how I get on, In the meantime if you or anyone else come across any old crew photos of the saint ronan I would be grateful although i doubt very much if any exist because of the short life of this ship. Iwould like to say thank you so much again as you have been a wonderful help and guide in this search.

Hugh MacLean
16th July 2011, 16:21
Hello John,

His form CRS 10 [service record from January 1941], if it has survived, should be held at Kew in piece BT 382/1098 (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=8124403&CATLN=6&accessmethod=5). This file should list all his ships including dates and places of discharge etc. I would recommend you visit Kew to view this file or get someone to visit on your behalf. It can be got online but at a cost.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/184717/title/saint-ronan/cat/517

Regards
Hugh

john mullan
16th July 2011, 16:29
hello Hugh
once again thanks very much for the info on the Kew file reference I will follow this lead and again thank you so much and take care for now.

Regards
john

john mullan
18th July 2011, 07:41
hello Donnie
thanks very much for getting in touch as you can see Hugh has given me a lot of leads which I am now following I will post all that I find as soon as i have the details to hand thanks again to you and Hugh for all your help and I will keep in touch.

john mullan
3rd August 2011, 12:27
Hello again Hugh
I think there is another photo of the saint ronan at www.centenary.simsl.com/HISTORY/NMM-Member-Vessels/SaintRonan
in the Prince of Wales dock Swansea, with regard to the search for records of my uncle I am at present waiting on the results of a search at the city archives southampton and when i get more info i will post it here ok take care.
Best Regards
John Mullan

Hugh MacLean
3rd August 2011, 17:22
Hello John,
Thank you for the link to the photo of 'ST RONAN'. The link you provided wont open but I have worked it out. Here it is: http://centenary.simsl.com/HISTORY/NMM-Member-Vessels/SaintRonan.jpg

Regards (Thumb)
Hugh

Runrig
12th August 2011, 15:00
I wonder if anyone is able to confirm that the photograph shows the SAINT RONAN in Prince of Wales Dock rather than Kings Dock.

john mullan
19th August 2011, 17:33
Hello Hugh,Donnie,John & Runrig,
I have now established that Gardners had 2 ships at Omaha beach on the 10th of June 1944 one was the Saint Angus and the other one was the Saint Beden, I now know that my uncle was on the Saint Beden on that day, on a different note can I suggest to Runrig that you go to Steam ship mutual 1909 to 2009 and there you will find the text below the photo explaining that the docks in the picture where the Saint Ronan is docked Sept. 1958 is the Prince of Wales Swansea, now back the story of my uncle I am still waiting the results of the search at Southampton archives I will post the info here as soon as I have it.
Bye for now everyone.

john mullan
24th August 2011, 11:44
Hello Hugh,Donne and everyone,
I have so far found out that My uncle James McGlinchey sailed on the following ships belonging to J & A Gardner :...Saint Ronan,Saint Ronaig,Saint Rule,Saint Beden,Saint Bartian & Saint Kilda. I mentioned in a previous thread I have worked out that my uncle James was on the Saint Beden on 10 June 1944 at Omaha beach in Normandy, I have also obtained a copy of the book on Gardners ships, thats all for now.

Best Regards

John Mullan

jim farren
4th September 2011, 23:38
hi guys,i just signed up to find out any info on the saint ronan. my father was hugh farren and he was at the helm at the time of the collision. i have a copy of his statement that he gave at the inquiry but apart form that i know nothing else about the accident. any info would be great.
regards,
jim

john mullan
5th September 2011, 07:39
Hello Jim
John mullan here I would be grateful if you could let me have a copy of the statement about the collision with the Saint Ronan and the greek ship Mount Athos as all I have to date is the information posted here by our good friends Hugh MacLean and Donnie More also any copies of the inquest report and or any other details or crew photos or anything about the Saint Ronan would be most appreciated thanking you.

John G. Mullan
P.S. my e mail address is g.mullan@blackhillproducts.co.uk

jim farren
5th September 2011, 10:36
hi john, the next time im at home in greencastle i`ll get the documents scanned and copied for you.

jim.

john mullan
5th September 2011, 11:10
Hi Jim
Thank you very much I look forward to hearing from you, by the way my mobile no is 07843 202 379.

John

john mullan
16th November 2011, 19:00
Hello everyone,
could I first just say again thanks to Jim Farren who sent me a copy of the statement made by his father (Hugh) to the tribunal as he was at the helm when the St Ronan was lost, as a result of the information contained in the statement I now know the names of six of the ten man crew on that fateful day John Maine(captain), James McGlinchey(my uncle), Hugh farren, and three other men just mentioned as Kennedy,McGee & McCaul. I would be grateful if anyone can add any more information to this.

John Mullan

pilotcon
21st November 2011, 12:00
hi john. i have been asked by a son of hugh farrens for info on saint ronan as hugh was on the helm at the time. i have told jim about this site so he may be in touch or you can get him on facebook