Hello Palm liners one and all.

elmina man
29th May 2004, 20:26
Just came across this wonderfull site in Ships Monthly, couldnt believe The Palm line port of the site, my father was at sea with Palm line from the 50's up untill he retired in the late 70's with ill health. I was a very lucky lad as i used to spend all my school holidays aboard Palm line ships, all over the Uk and europe. As a Purser- Cheif steward, he would often be on either relief or just back from West Africa and i would have a school holiday. Been aboard most of the fleet up to and including the Africa palm aquired in the early 70's.
My dads fave was the Elmina Palm hence the name tag, but mine was a close thing between the Bamenda and the Andoni palm.
I am just happy to be aboard, and if my Dad is looking down from his office aboard Heavenly palm, i am sure he will be smiling, or opening a bottle of capt morgans rum, or both!

tanker
30th May 2004, 13:01
Just came across this wonderfull site in Ships Monthly, couldnt believe The Palm line port of the site, my father was at sea with Palm line from the 50's up untill he retired in the late 70's with ill health. I was a very lucky lad as i used to spend all my school holidays aboard Palm line ships, all over the Uk and europe. As a Purser- Cheif steward, he would often be on either relief or just back from West Africa and i would have a school holiday. Been aboard most of the fleet up to and including the Africa palm aquired in the early 70's.
My dads fave was the Elmina Palm hence the name tag, but mine was a close thing between the Bamenda and the Andoni palm.
I am just happy to be aboard, and if my Dad is looking down from his office aboard Heavenly palm, i am sure he will be smiling, or opening a bottle of capt morgans rum, or both!

PALM LINE is a very interested company in the great era inthe 1950-60
the company were composed of 24 cargo ships and very good colours:
HULL:dark grey with red boot-topping
FUNNEL:green with black top and green palm tree on white disc and band.
best regards
from ITALY MILAN
GP

Ian
30th May 2004, 13:47
Hi Elmina man
Welcome to the site.
It is early days but we hope to build the site into one of the web favourites over time.
If you have any pictures of Palm Line, or other line ships we would be very happy to have you post them on the site.
My time at sea was 1959 to 1964. Palm Line were 'Marconi ships' in that their radio officers were employed by the Marconi Company.
I would often see Palm line vessels in Glasgow in the fifties. One I recall was the Opobo Palm.
Hope to see you often on the site,
Regards from Canada.

Ian
(Admin).

bobjones
16th June 2005, 21:50
Hi Elmina man

What was your Dad's name. Purser Chief Stewards Office was the Agents favourite place, second was the officers Bar

Doug Rogers
17th June 2005, 02:44
Welcome aboard and enjoy the site.

R58484956
17th June 2005, 12:50
Palm line fleet 1953. Ashanti,Barutu,Benim,Dahomey,Gambia,Kano,Kumasi,La gos,Lokoja,Matadi,Mendi,Niger,Oguta,Opudo,Takoradi and Volta Palm.Details of ships if required.

william dillon
17th June 2005, 23:18
Hi,
I would be interested in any info you can offer about Palm Line ships.
Regards
W. Dillon.

KenLin39
23rd June 2005, 18:58
PALM LINE is a very interested company in the great era inthe 1950-60
the company were composed of 24 cargo ships and very good colours:
HULL:dark grey with red boot-topping
FUNNEL:green with black top and green palm tree on white disc and band.
best regards
from ITALY MILAN
GP

Hi, good ships, I worked on the Andoni and Katsina late 50s, creek work Andoni, Katsina and Kano too big, by the way, painted overside many a time, Hull: dark grey 2 - 3 metres of green then red boot topping, masts, mast housings and derricks etc were brown but later photos show them as cream, any idea why the change, query on info left about the fleet in 53, I never knew of a Opudo Palm, there was an Opobo. Cheers to all.Ken.

R58484956
23rd June 2005, 20:34
Opobo Palm, (Ex Congonian 1949) 6082 tons Built 1942 Swan Hunter, 3 cyl up & downer. 415.6 x 56.7 x 29.5 code flags MAHV. DF, ESD, RADAR. BUILT TO CARRY PETROLEUM IN BULK.

william dillon
29th June 2005, 22:16
What was your dad's name ??

Rusty
7th July 2005, 11:30
Hi,

I've posted a pic. of the Benin Palm in the Gallery, which might interest you.

Rusty

elmina man
26th February 2006, 13:27
What was your dad's name ??
Sorry for the long wait my PC had bit the dust, My fathers name was Hugh Davidson McFeat Chief Steward,who passed away in 1990 retired in 1989,such a shame.

Peter (Pat) Baker
26th February 2006, 13:56
Elmina Man,
I made two voyages in Gambia Palm, one trip in Burutu Palm and two more in the Kumasi Palm between 1955 & 1957 before joining T&J Harrison of Liverpool.
In my days in Palm Line the Purser and Chief Steward were completely different jobs.
I cannot remember your father I'm afraid.
Pursers I remember are Gordon Little and Willie Cruickshank, Pat Cullen and Alan Coughbrough.
Peter Baker.

jim barnes
26th February 2006, 14:17
Welcome Elmina,,, pity palm line up the swany,, like many others..loved the W/A runs.. crew boys ... pepper chop... bits of surplus cargo???? and dont forget the Elephant tables...First child born while i was on the Andoni... she is blessed with it in her middle name??Jim (Hippy)

lakercapt
26th February 2006, 14:58
Welcome to the site.
See the thread about Palm line as I put a couple of posts there.
The old Opobo Palm was indeed a tanker and when I was on it we sailed from Brombrough Dock to West Africa and loaded Palm oil for the return voyage.
Loaded one of the empty tanks with fresh water for cleaning the tanks outbound. The engineers heated it so it was hot when we stopped at Freetown for the Kroo boys for tank cleaning.
It was great for them as when they joined from the barge all had empty drums and any of the palm oil gleaned went home with them.
I alas do not have all those rosey eyed views of my time there as I doubt any deck mate had as we were the hardest workers on the cargo ships a 16 hour day being the norn. A half day was 12 hours on deck cargo work. On deck also ment being down the cargo holds slinging awkward cargo as we were our own stevadores.
Will get some other tales posted later

Chief Engineer's Daughter
26th February 2006, 22:15
Its funny how things go. Was going through some old papers at my parents today and we found my Mams discharge paper from the Tema Plam. She had very good conduct on hers (thank goodness!) in 1961.

Skol
CED

Peter (Pat) Baker
20th April 2006, 13:27
Can anybody help me to find photgraphs of the Gambia Palm, Burutu Palm and Kumasi Palm?.
Happy to pay for them of course.
Peter Baker.

crowmountain
22nd April 2006, 08:50
I was a junior 4th. engineer on the Lagos in64/65. I can remember the 2nd eng. (Leckie?) advisng me to Join CNCo or similar Co. (Don't think he liked me very much). Took his advice though and did 25 yrs with the latter.
Tony Ravenhill

william dillon
23rd April 2006, 21:14
I was a junior 4th. engineer on the Lagos in64/65. I can remember the 2nd eng. (Leckie?) advisng me to Join CNCo or similar Co. (Don't think he liked me very much). Took his advice though and did 25 yrs with the latter.
Tony Ravenhill

Tony,
Was the 2nd, engineer called Ian Leckie from Bearsden in Glasgow by any chance, if so I sailed with him in the late '60,s. (Thumb)

crowmountain
24th April 2006, 00:19
Tony,
Was the 2nd, engineer called Ian Leckie from Bearsden in Glasgow by any chance, if so I sailed with him in the late '60,s. (Thumb)
Yep that was him, nice chap. Can't remember any other names though.
Regards Tony

david
24th April 2006, 07:44
Hi, Elmina man,
I have just come across your posting and subsequent threads.
For what its worth, there is an excellent book filled with pix and a ships list + a short history of the company,up to its sale to the frogs in 1989, by Laurence Dunn & Peter Heaton. If you are in the UK it would be worth buying for the 112 splendid pages of pix alone.
Regards,
David D

Rosie B
13th June 2006, 21:29
Hope it's ok for me to join in this chat albeit a bit late.

I joined Palm Line in August 1965 (straight from school) and worked in the Marine Personnel and Salaries Department. So if between then and May 1970, salaries and allotments were late then it was my fault.

Denis Way was the Personnel Manager - he didn't take any prisoners !!!

This great site was introduced to me very recently by a guy that I worked with in the office all those years ago and we got back in touch through Friends Reunited a while ago.

I have photos, mostly social occassions,and some of the ships taken in Tilbury.

Kind regards

ps I've got an elephant table - wedding present from one of the ships

bobby388
14th June 2006, 01:21
Welcome aboard Elmina Man and Rosie B
would love to see some of your pics and postings enjoy the site and all on offer
Bobby(Glasgow)

Aldinga
14th June 2006, 03:58
Hi Peter
This is a photo of the “Burutu Palm”
Built by : 1952 Short Bros, Ltd. Pallion, Sunderland,
433.2 x 57.8 x 23.55ft, 5411.49 gross, 8516 d.w. 12.5 kts.
Engines : North Eastern Marine, diesel, Doxford 4-cylinder 3000 b.h.p.

Ron

slick
14th June 2006, 21:56
Hello all Creek Men,
I too was in Palm Line from March 1963 until August 1964, indeed halcyon days.
I sailed on the Badagry and Lagos Palm hard work and happy days.
Captain Everall and Captain Astbury (he always insisted on RNR Officers and Petty Officers to keep his Blue Ensign), Cocoa, Palm Oil, logs - Mansonia Obeche and Obura (?) ( floaters and sinkers) the Forcados River the Fork. Sawmill Creek, Kru Boys, Beachmasters the list is endless, a way of going to sea never to be seen again.
We used to play football against Walman Line and the Dutch ( Kust Lines) in the cool(!) of the evening followed by glorious good natured beery nights.
I also ended up like others going to China Navigation for the next three and a half years.
Yours aye,
Slick

Peter (Pat) Baker
19th June 2006, 14:07
Ron (Aldinga)
Many thanks for the photograph of the "Burutu Palm", it is much appreciated.
Peter Baker.

Christopher Roberts
23rd March 2007, 15:53
I am just happy to be aboard, and if my Dad is looking down from his office aboard Heavenly palm, i am sure he will be smiling, or opening a bottle of capt morgans rum, or both! The Bamenda Palm was the first ship that I went deep sea on as a junior engineer in 1963

Peter (Pat) Baker
24th March 2007, 13:58
Aldinga (Ron),
Ihave only just realised that I have never thanked you for the photo of the "Burutu Palm".
Please accept my regrets and my belated gratitude for your efforts.
Peter Baker.

Shaun_Donnelly
25th March 2007, 02:53
ps I've got an elephant table - wedding present from one of the ships
Now there's something, we used to purchase these in Takoradi, Ghana. I have one with a carved top showing croc's, mud hud huts, palms, etc., coffee table size. in 1978 I paid two £1 notes, four bars of Lux soap and a tube of colgate for it.

I wrapped it in blankets whilst on the African coast, unwrapping it like 'pass-the-parcel' every few days as we travelled north, to try to prevent warping. It worked to some degree but suffered a tad.

I paid off in Liverpool and carried it on my back (with the help of a length of whammie) to Folkestone on the south coast, plus my huge kitbag, but it was worth it.

Shaun :)

lakercapt
25th March 2007, 19:39
Wonder if any of you ex Palm Line members remember the small creek boats that they had in Nigeria.
The chief officers that were being groomed for stardom spent some time as captains on these craft. It was not compulsory but you did get brownie points.
They were shallow draft and used to go up country in the wet season and bring down produce to Lagos/Appa. In the dry seasson the creeks did not have enough water and they did work round Burutu etc.
The crew were all Nigerians except then.
The boats did not have Palm line colours but UAC livery with the buff funnel with the black to (as did all old Palm Line boats before they changed).
Don't recall their names but think it was from local tribes.
The captains were always welcomed on the big boats as they must have gotten tired of pepper soup and palm oil chop. Enjoyed a few Tennants too.
Some of their tales were like out of Joseph Conrad.
Bill

Davey
28th March 2007, 13:11
Bill's post mentions pepper soup. Anybody know the recipe, so I can try it again after all these years. Thanks for any replies.Davey.

Christopher Roberts
28th March 2007, 14:01
Hello all ex-Palm Liners I joined the Bamenda 19/2/63 did in all 7 trips on her I did 1 trip on the Lobito and 3 trips on the Katsina - 2 trips Ilorin - 1 trip Kano and the last trip I did was on the Makeni (what a heap of rubbish that ship was) I would like to "chat"with any other crew members that sailed between 1963 and 1967

trotterdotpom
28th March 2007, 14:38
Now there's something, we used to purchase these in Takoradi, Ghana. I have one with a carved top showing croc's, mud hud huts, palms, etc., coffee table size. in 1978 I paid two £1 notes, four bars of Lux soap and a tube of colgate for it.

I wrapped it in blankets whilst on the African coast, unwrapping it like 'pass-the-parcel' every few days as we travelled north, to try to prevent warping. It worked to some degree but suffered a tad.

I paid off in Liverpool and carried it on my back (with the help of a length of whammie) to Folkestone on the south coast, plus my huge kitbag, but it was worth it.

Shaun :)

I bet you bought that from "African Industries" in Takoradi.

I bought a carved mahogony head from the same place and gave it to my sister. I told her it was an African fertility symbol and you've no idea how many babies were born as a result of rubbing it!

I remember seeing a carved head in the Chief Steward's office which was a much higher quality than any I'd seen elsewhere, he'd got it as some sort of backhander. I really wanted it and he sold it to me for two quid, a fair amount at the time, but I didn't care. My mother had it and loved it for about 25 years. It's looking down on me now - I don't touch it much but I reckon it's good "ju-ju".

I never sailed with Palm Line but I have to say, they had the most handsome funnel of the lot as far as I"m concerned. Seeing that in Middlesbrough Dock would turn any young lad's head towards the sea.

Davey mentioned 'Pepper soup'. If you Google "West Africa Chop" you'll find a myriad of recipes, Davey. Good luck with some of the ingredients though, Oyibo.

John T.

Peter (Pat) Baker
28th March 2007, 14:49
Aldinga (Ron)

I did post a message belatedley thanking you for the photo of Burutu Palm, but the message has not appeared on the list. Sorry about that.
Regards,
Peter (Pat) Baker.

Davey
28th March 2007, 15:09
Cheers John T for the advice on pepper soup.Just loved it first time it was served up on the Elmina Palm.Davey.

PollY Anna
28th March 2007, 19:32
Welcome Elmina man

I was lucky enough to sail on her in the early sixtys, what I liked was the draft beer on tap at lunch time great. Also going to places like Port Harcourt and Warrie up the Niger Delta picking up the pilot. They came rushing out in a canoe flying the Co Flag and ships were all very heavy on deck lots of work, but a good company never had trouble crewing in the London pools. Also from Gravesend Sea School you could watch them going into Tilbury Docks great days.

Ron

baileysan
28th March 2007, 21:48
Ships in Focus Magazine Issues 35&36 feature excellent history of Palm Line.

Noted Capt. Everall's name, spent some time with him in UASC after he left Palm Line. A gentleman.

Does anyone remember George Redford? Palm Line for many years

slick
29th March 2007, 13:36
All,
Yes, Baileysan I remember Captain Everall with the fondest of memories, I sailed with him on the BADAGRY PALM for eighteen months as 4th. Mate and was very much impressed by his gravitas and skill.
I seem also recall he had a very comely niece Susan who I tipped my cap for.
Yours aye,
Slick

http://Badagry Palm Off Load Heavy Lift Takoradi.jpg

slick
1st April 2007, 18:59
All,
A couple of pics of some real sailoring.
Yours aye,
Slick7424

lakercapt
1st April 2007, 20:04
Slick
Rememeber one trip to Bathhurst in The Gambia.
Last thing loaded in Tilbury were two London Barges (Craft in the venacular).
Course they had to be first off as well so the jumbo was broken out and they were duely unloaded into the water and a small tug took them away.
Proceeded to unload the rest of the cargo and away we went to our next port ,Freetown.
Got a message there with the out-turn report for Bathhurst.
A few items we had overcarried as well as the two craft. Like how could we miss those items???
Were asked to land the items in Freetown for trans shipment.
Guess the person that sent the message had no idea how large those things were.!!! Got a good laugh anyway.
How do you know you have an elephant in your fridge?
there would be footprints on the butter!
Bill

KenLin39
2nd April 2007, 01:54
Wonder if any of you ex Palm Line members remember the small creek boats that they had in Nigeria.
The chief officers that were being groomed for stardom spent some time as captains on these craft. It was not compulsory but you did get brownie points.
They were shallow draft and used to go up country in the wet season and bring down produce to Lagos/Appa. In the dry seasson the creeks did not have enough water and they did work round Burutu etc.
The crew were all Nigerians except then.
The boats did not have Palm line colours but UAC livery with the buff funnel with the black to (as did all old Palm Line boats before they changed).
Don't recall their names but think it was from local tribes.
The captains were always welcomed on the big boats as they must have gotten tired of pepper soup and palm oil chop. Enjoyed a few Tennants too.
Some of their tales were like out of Joseph Conrad.
Bill

Hi Bill . I have two ship photos you describe in my files and thought they were EDs , namely the Forcados and Sapele (ex Empire Pavillion) small two hatch jobs, also have a photo of the Benin a small three hatch one Regards. Ken

Southbound
14th February 2008, 12:06
I don't suppose you have a Photo of the Badagry? it was my home for a year and would like a picture of her for nostalgia

Bruce Carson
14th February 2008, 14:29
Southbound, try the following URLs.
It's probably the older ship that you're looking for.
http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/palm2.html
http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/ships_photos_02/ships_08/ships_08.htm
http://www.allatsea.cx/images/ships/badagryIL1.jpg
http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/palm.htm

Bruce

Howard S
2nd April 2008, 03:12
I bet you bought that from "African Industries" in Takoradi.

I bought a carved mahogony head from the same place and gave it to my sister. I told her it was an African fertility symbol and you've no idea how many babies were born as a result of rubbing it!

I remember seeing a carved head in the Chief Steward's office which was a much higher quality than any I'd seen elsewhere, he'd got it as some sort of backhander. I really wanted it and he sold it to me for two quid, a fair amount at the time, but I didn't care. My mother had it and loved it for about 25 years. It's looking down on me now - I don't touch it much but I reckon it's good "ju-ju".

I never sailed with Palm Line but I have to say, they had the most handsome funnel of the lot as far as I"m concerned. Seeing that in Middlesbrough Dock would turn any young lad's head towards the sea.

Davey mentioned 'Pepper soup'. If you Google "West Africa Chop" you'll find a myriad of recipes, Davey. Good luck with some of the ingredients though, Oyibo.

John T.
I still have a wonderful mahogany elephant (about 18" high) on permament loan to a friend in Lincolnshire since the 70's. It was either a 20th or 21st birthday present from Maggie the chandler in Takoradi. Anyone remember her?

Peter (Pat) Baker
2nd April 2008, 13:10
Is there anybody out there left from Palm Line in the 1955-1957 era?

If you are there please surface and say a word or two.

Cheers

Peter Baker.

domrab
15th April 2011, 11:08
Captain Astbury was my grandfather and I am trying to find out more about him

tom roberts
15th April 2011, 13:13
Sailed on two Palm boats Opobo and the Badagary, regarding cleaning the tanks on the Opobo we did them them the deck crowd ive posted the resulting state of our bedding you could make out the outline of your body it was yellow on the blue sheets were you had sweated, and your seaboots rotted after a while.I have also commented on the Badagary and its bosun the less said about him the better,these trips were in the 50s,

kudu
22nd April 2011, 19:17
I never sailed with Palm line,although whilst in W Africa circa1966/67 with Stag line,I saw a number of Palm line ships.One of the things that amused me was tugs with Palm line funnels.Some,I think had Elder Demster funnels.Many years ago I aquired an oil painting 16"x 20" of the Kano Palm.She appears to have a deck cargo of logs,possibly mahogany.I think it was painted about 1964/65.I always think Stag Line and Palm Line had very distinctive funnels

Tom(Tucker)Kirby
23rd April 2011, 00:20
[QUOTE=Peter (Pat) Baker;204818]Is there anybody out there left from Palm Line in the 1955-1957 era?

Hi I sailed on the Ashanti Palm in 1957, but then went on to sail with every other company out of Liverpool, with a spell on Elder Dempsters.
My bedroom is covered with framed quality paintings of many Liverpool ships which I painted myself, amongst them are the Andoni Palm, Enugu Palm, Ashanti Palm, Elmina Palm, and Katsina Palm. and All the Empress boats, Cunarders, Bluey's ,Harrison's and many more around the house .Its my personal art gallery. and I'm still at it. Africa was a great experience,loved every minute of it. We are lucky to have been at sea for those good times.

Peter (Pat) Baker
27th April 2011, 17:56
Tom (Tucker) Kirby,
Thanks for the reply. At the time you were in the Ashanti Palm
I was in the Kumasi Palm and left her to join Harrisons of
Liverpool.
Cheers
Peter (Pat) Baker

stan mayes
27th April 2011, 20:50
Tom (Tucker) Kirby,
Thanks for the reply. At the time you were in the Ashanti Palm
I was in the Kumasi Palm and left her to join Harrisons of
Liverpool.
Cheers
Peter (Pat) Baker

Hello Pat,
If you were in Kumasi Palm end of 1957 you had along spell
in Tilbury Dock.
I checked my diaries and I worked on her from 12th December to
23rd discharging - and after Christmas started loading and sailed
on 4th January 1958.
Best regards,
Stan

Peter (Pat) Baker
29th April 2011, 22:05
Stan,
I have just checked and find that I left Kumasi Palm
in January 1957 in Hamburg.
I'm sorry for the confusion, 77 year old brain in
27 year old body ( I wish),
Cheers,
Pat Baker.
'

palmoil chop
1st May 2011, 17:08
I need to visit this site more often but my iT skills are a bit limited to say the least and a sextant's not much use in navigating websites. Eventually I've landed here and so I'm leaving a message to those interested that my book of West African reminiscences has finally seen the light of day. The publisher planned to issue it on 31 January so we're only three months late. And, no, it wasn't printed in Nigeria !

If you Google the title 'Palm Oil & small chop' you'll get all the relevant details. The content is 45% Palm, 45% ED and 10% Nigerline. The old ED hands are already responding favourably to its appearance and I'm sure that any 'Old Palms' will find it equally enjoyable.

Ken Davidson
14th June 2011, 09:44
I remember Dennis Wey He signed my references and other letters which I still have I was 3rd then 2nd mate on the Elmina Palm with a Capt masters who drank heavily and lacked a sense of humour and social graces.
I find my self wondering what in his early life caused him to be like that? I would love to know
Regards
Ken

kypros
14th June 2011, 20:47
Nice Thread On Palm Line Vessels Did A Couple Of Voyagers On The Kano Palm Early Sixties On Deck Lovely Ship I Wonder If Any Ex Palm Men Recall The Mendi Palm I Think I Have The Name Right Remember When Still At School Go To See My Older Brother Off From The Queens Dock Liverpool Late Fifties I Believe She Was Refered To As Having A Coffin Back Stern It Was A Lovely Summers Afternoon Great Memories Of The Old Southend Docks. Reguards Kypros

slick
14th June 2011, 21:20
All,
Wey - "Away with Wey" was the cry.
Things I remember were using a bullwire a couple of snatch blocks and placing logs with precision in the tween decks, 'One Link'

Yours aye,

slick

ccurtis1
15th June 2011, 10:13
Didn't some wag change the toilet rolls in Salisbury Square House with ones printed:-
"Away with Way" and "Williams must go"
That little tale was circulating in the Palm Line fleet in the late 60's
It was rumoured to be a senior member of the sea staff was the guilty party allegedly.

son of tom
2nd July 2011, 16:12
Captain Astbury was my grandfather and I am trying to find out more about him

my father was chief engineer and i remember meeting him as a small boy. I have various photos of crew members and ships but I am not sufficently computer literate to get them sent.Definately got a photo of your grandfather ,my dad [Tom Brace] and a another

lakercapt
2nd July 2011, 22:06
Remember when Denis Wey first joined Palm Line.
He had no knowledge of shipping but came down to the vessels at every voyage end and was a wonderful listener.
He gleaned all his knowledge that way and had an excellent memory.
Capt Williams I sailed with when he was 1st Mate and I thought as a decent guy, better than that other 1st mate I sailed with Kopec.

slick
3rd July 2011, 08:38
All,
Kopec, AKA the Polish P----).

Yours aye,

slick

Doug H
3rd July 2011, 09:17
I need to visit this site more often but my iT skills are a bit limited to say the least and a sextant's not much use in navigating websites. Eventually I've landed here and so I'm leaving a message to those interested that my book of West African reminiscences has finally seen the light of day. The publisher planned to issue it on 31 January so we're only three months late. And, no, it wasn't printed in Nigeria !

If you Google the title 'Palm Oil & small chop' you'll get all the relevant details. The content is 45% Palm, 45% ED and 10% Nigerline. The old ED hands are already responding favourably to its appearance and I'm sure that any 'Old Palms' will find it equally enjoyable.

I ordered your book and it has just arrived, so I'll "go back to West Africa" as I'm going to start reading it today. I was on a Kay & Son cargo ship, the MARGAY as Radio Officer from November 53 to June 54 when it was on charter to Palm Line, so this thread has been interesting for me - as I'm sure that the book will!

lakercapt
3rd July 2011, 14:10
All,
Kopec, AKA the Polish P----).

Yours aye,

slick

Yes that was the @$%#^&*

Chief Sparky
28th July 2011, 23:12
Hi All,
Just trying to help my Dad find some former colleagues with whom he sailed with during the 60's. Dad sailed as an electrician working up to Chief Electrician. His last voyage was on the Kano Palm not sure what year but will add to at some point.
His name is Brian Kenny and would love to hear from any of you that knew him.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Julian Calvin
29th July 2011, 09:53
Wonder what the health and safety guys would say nowadays about the usual practise of stowing logs in the wings. Snatch block on the shell frame, bull wire from winch to snatch block then around log (up to 12 - 15 tons) turn winch on full ----- then run. To be fair, this was only normally used when wire jambed under the logs.
Nowadays, if ever used, am sure a new wire would be required each time to satisfy the SHE rep.

shipmate17
29th July 2011, 17:23
Hi,
Have asked once before, anyone remember my Uncle Alfie Carr from Newcastle upon Tyne, was a bosun with Palm Line, although dont know which ships.
Cheers.

stan mayes
29th July 2011, 19:57
Hi Chief Sparky,
I remember Brian and when he was with Palm Line.If his last ship was Kano Palm I think it was 1970 and at that time I believe it was also the last trip in Palm Line for Captain Swan -also Kano Palm.
Your Dad may remember me as Stan the Rigger.I worked all Palm ships for 30
years when they visited Tilbury and as a favour I took newspapers and fresh milk to the officers every day.
I recall many of the Electricians with Palm Line.
Bob Rankine -Jim Bowers-Brian Vincent -John McAllister-Norman Moat -Jim Bartley -Murdo Mackenzie -Mike Kelly -Cliff Hutchinson -Alec Kenevin and
Bob Metcalfe.
No doubt some of our SN members ex Palm Line will recall these names.
Working with nice people - you remember them always..
Regards
Stan

stan mayes
29th July 2011, 20:07
Shipmate 17,
Possibly I knew your uncle when he was in Palm Line but as he was the Bosun
that is what I would call him and so I would never have known his first name.
If he was Bosun during the last years of Palm Line it is possible he did not visit
Tilbury as most of the ships were then on charter and did not come into London.
Regards,
Stan

Southbound
23rd October 2011, 22:26
What was the year you sailed on the Badagry?

Hello all Creek Men,
I too was in Palm Line from March 1963 until August 1964, indeed halcyon days.
I sailed on the Badagry and Lagos Palm hard work and happy days.
Captain Everall and Captain Astbury (he always insisted on RNR Officers and Petty Officers to keep his Blue Ensign), Cocoa, Palm Oil, logs - Mansonia Obeche and Obura (?) ( floaters and sinkers) the Forcados River the Fork. Sawmill Creek, Kru Boys, Beachmasters the list is endless, a way of going to sea never to be seen again.
We used to play football against Walman Line and the Dutch ( Kust Lines) in the cool(!) of the evening followed by glorious good natured beery nights.
I also ended up like others going to China Navigation for the next three and a half years.
Yours aye,
Slick

Southbound
23rd October 2011, 22:33
Southbound, try the following URLs.
It's probably the older ship that you're looking for.
http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/palm2.html
http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/ships_photos_02/ships_08/ships_08.htm
http://www.allatsea.cx/images/ships/badagryIL1.jpg
http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/palm.htm

Bruce

Thanks for your infomation very much appreciated

Peter (Pat) Baker
24th October 2011, 17:55
Stan Mayes.

Stan, you mentioned a Captain Swan in your post.
Can you recall his first name?

I sailed with a C/O named Swan and I wonder if it is the
same guy.

Cheers Stan.

Pat Baker.

stan mayes
13th December 2011, 20:21
Pat,
I don't know the first name of Captain Swan but
his initials were N C..
He left Palm Line and went into a Hong Kong company.
Did you get all the ship photos you wanted?
Prosit,
Stan

Peter (Pat) Baker
14th December 2011, 18:02
Stan,
as soon as you mentioned that the initials of Capt. Swann were N.C.
I remembered that his first name was Norman.
I sailed with him when he was Chief Officer in the Kumasi Palm.
Thanks for the p.m. from you that I received today.
I think that this post will cover that.
The only ships photo that I would like is one of the Kumasi Palm.
Can you help at all?
Cheers Stan.
Pat Baker.

Chris Gundry
27th December 2011, 15:30
Hi there Palm Liners I sailed on the Lagos palm 13.07 64 to 28.10.64 anyone else on same trip?/ I am looking for some photo's if anyone has any I would appreciate a call.

P.Gonzalez
16th January 2012, 00:03
Is there anybody out there left from Palm Line in the 1955-1957 era?

Cheers

Peter Baker.

Hello Peter - My Grandfather was Albert Hoffman - at Palm Line for many years. My Grandmother - Winifred Hoffman, christened 'Katisina Palm'. Sadly they are no longer with us. Our family home is named after Katsina and my mother has some keepsakes, along with a fantastic oil painting of Katsina Palm.

I will talk to my mother and see if I can get any interesting information for you.

Kind regards
Susan Gonzalez - Hoffman

stan mayes
16th January 2012, 01:31
Good evening Susan,
Your grandfather was Chairman and Managing Director of Palm Line and
retired in 1967.
I saw him on occasions when he visited Palm Line ships in Tilbury Docks.
You can be proud of your grandfather - he had a very distinguished career
in the Army during WW2..
Regards,
Stan

P.Gonzalez
16th January 2012, 02:09
Good evening Susan,
Your grandfather was Chairman and Managing Director of Palm Line and retired in 1967. I saw him on occasions when he visited Palm Line ships in Tilbury Docks.
You can be proud of your grandfather - he had a very distinguished career in the Army during WW2..
Regards,
Stan

Good evening Stan - Thank-you so much, we were all very proud of my grandfather and still are. He was a remarkable man - very clever, but also very kind and great fun. He took us grandaughters (2) individually to Tilbury docks as a treat to visit a ship; it may have been Katsina in my case, I am not sure. I have some photos somewhere. I think it was just after he retired around 1968/9. I went into the engine room (loved it) and got oil on my new white trousers (sorry Mum!) I remember the respect he was shown that day and I was treated very kindly and fed a rather hot curry. It is a very fond memory.

I don't really know much about his experience in WW2 except that he was in Egypt and was a brigadier. I think he tried to shield us from such things, but now I would like to learn more about him as an individual in his career and I really appreciate your comments as I'm sure my Mother and sister will too.

Kind regards
Susan

Peter (Pat) Baker
16th January 2012, 14:59
Stan,
I have just been re-reading all the posts in this thread, and I
noticed that you named an Electrician as Murdo McKenzie.
I sailed with an Engineer by that name.
Could this be the same guy?
Pat Baker.

stan mayes
16th January 2012, 19:19
Hi Pat,
This Murdo was an Electrician,I knew him in Palm Line from 2nd Electrician
and I believe he was with the company until its demise..
Stan

Peter (Pat) Baker
17th January 2012, 15:07
Stan,
many thanks for your reply.
As it was a reasonably unusual name I thought
that two people in the same company with that
name was unlikely.
I know, of course, what meticulous notes that
you kept and realise that there must have been
two of them.
Look after yourself,
my very best regards,
Pat.

stan mayes
17th January 2012, 15:22
Thankyou for the compliment Pat.
I did know Murdo very well as I took fresh milk and newspapers to
many of the officers when their ships were in Tilbury -they all became friends.
I do not recall another Murdo McKenzie as an engineer but I have a number of
Palm Bulletins and will check through them.
Kind regards,
Stan

steamship
10th April 2012, 20:25
Hi there all,
Does anyone remember Captain "Buckie" Thompson? I rember visiting his ship
for dinner when I was manager of the station tanker operation at Bonny.

chris booth
9th May 2012, 19:30
Hello Elmina Man

You don't give the name of you father who was a Purser/ Ch. Steward. But I'm sure I would have known him at least by name . I was Purser/Ch. Steward on Elmina on her last voyage before she was sold and stood by in Tilbury until we handed her over the new owners.

Ron Stringer
9th May 2012, 20:17
... I was manager of the station tanker operation at Bonny.

When were you there? I joined the Shell Tanker (ex-Eagle Oil) "San Florentino" in May 1963 as she was finishing her drydock following return from a 6-month tour as the topping-off vessel at Bonny. On the way home she was never able to make more than 7 knots (normal service speed 14.5 - 15 knots) because of all the growth that she had collected on her hull.

All the special gear that she had carried for transfer at sea (including the huge multi-wheel fenders) was on the dockside and, I believe, was transferred to the "Halia" and was then used for lightening duties in Lyme Bay.

stan mayes
9th May 2012, 21:43
Hello Chris,
If Graham (Elmina man) misses this I will answer for him..He is the son of
Hughie McFeat Purser/Chief Steward who you must have known.
Sadly Hughie crossed the bar in 1990...He was a very nice person.
Of Elmina Palm I worked on her as a rigger in Tilbury while she discharged cargo
and during her lay by..I remember you being there..
Humphrey Jones was Palm Line Port Officer on the ship at same time..
Graham started this thread and gave details of his father.
Regards,
Stan

liverbob
11th May 2012, 04:05
my cousin and best buddy ron macwilliams sailed on a few of palm line shipsas an AB out of liverpool between 53 till 72.
his last ship was the kano palm .sadly he passed away while on board.
72 i think, and was buried ashore in sierra leone.
anyone remembers him or on the kano at the time would like to hear
from them. regards liverbob.

from them

chris booth
13th May 2012, 19:35
Hello Chris,
If Graham (Elmina man) misses this I will answer for him..He is the son of
Hughie McFeat Purser/Chief Steward who you must have known.
Sadly Hughie crossed the bar in 1990...He was a very nice person.
Of Elmina Palm I worked on her as a rigger in Tilbury while she discharged cargo
and during her lay by..I remember you being there..
Humphrey Jones was Palm Line Port Officer on the ship at same time..
Graham started this thread and gave details of his father.
Regards,
Stan

Thanks for you kind reply Stan,

I remember Hughie well - sorry to hear of his passing he was well respected among the rest of us Purser Chief Stewards. Have an always present reminder of the old "Elmina" her Galley Clock and a Photo are on my Dining Room wall - the clock is still in first class working order - wonder if the Greeks missed it !!

Regards Chris,

PS. I'm sure I remember you being in Tilbury, just can't put a face to the name at the moment - sorry.

stan mayes
14th May 2012, 01:14
Hi Chris,
I also have a nice reminder of Palm Line - apart from all the great memories.
Andoni Palm was also at Tilbury when she was sold in 1976 and the Chief Officer presented me with her large Red Ensign before the Greeks took over.
From 2000 up to 2008 I presented it to Gravesend Council each year and it was seen flying above Civic Centre on Merchant Navy Day.
The Council have since bought their own Red Ensign.
Regards.
Stan

Geoff of Hull
14th May 2012, 02:06
The Elmina Palm,was always a ship I will remember with effection and a very happy ship when I was on her,even when we sat aboard her during the seamans strike in 1966 I think the year is correct,we anchored off Zulu 2 anchorage Southend for over a month approximately after a 3 month trip to the West Coast,..I joined her as a SOS and left her as an AB ,The Bosun was a real character form Glasgow with a boxers nose only shortish,The other crowd was mainly from Shields,But the Chief Engineer was a Hull guy out of South American Saint Line,think he had his wife with him,The Writer was an old class mate at Hull Trinity House with me Anthony Stevens..The captain well can't remember 100% Dootson or Ditchburn one of them was in Houlders with me can't remember which ..
I remember docking at Avonmouth during the strike but could not pay off or join the strike as they got us for Last Port of Discharge,hence the anchorage ..
jimmy Macquillan of Dundee ,Alan Stainton,Bill Walsh ( Shields) and 2 scousers were on deck with me during 1 trip we stopped at Teneriffe which was a change.

chris booth
27th May 2012, 19:23
I still have a wonderful mahogany elephant (about 18" high) on permament loan to a friend in Lincolnshire since the 70's. It was either a 20th or 21st birthday present from Maggie the chandler in Takoradi. Anyone remember her?

Hello Howard,
Just came across your thread I remember Maggie well and of course you. Remember you from E.Ds. and sailing with you when I first joined Palm Line on the " Ibadan " Norman Alexander was the " Old Man ". If you could get back to me with an email address we could catch up. Hope you are well. Regards Chris.

jpearson
11th April 2013, 20:56
Remember on the Kano Palm we were in Calabar and going ashore and finding the grave of the Famous Scot Mary Slesser(spelling)?who was adored in the region,felt very proud that day.

billyboy
11th April 2013, 23:27
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

jpearson
12th April 2013, 08:12
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer Thanks for the welcome and agree its a great site,when i am on it i am back in the best days of my life,all the best to you,Jake

Howard S
10th August 2014, 04:13
Hello Howard,
Just came across your thread I remember Maggie well and of course you. Remember you from E.Ds. and sailing with you when I first joined Palm Line on the " Ibadan " Norman Alexander was the " Old Man ". If you could get back to me with an email address we could catch up. Hope you are well. Regards Chris.
Hello Chris just saw this post. Of course we have been in email contact for some time now. Am sure many here remember Alexander from Carnoustie.

jpearson
10th August 2014, 19:21
Remember on deck as sos on the Kano Palm we had a collision with a Dutch"think"cargo ship shortly after leaving Tilbury in thick fog,we had a large hole just above the waterline at the bow and the Dutchman scraped along our Port side,quite a few had "soiled" pants as you can imagine,anyway we got paid off in Antwerp 14th feb 1963 and signed on again at Tilbury later on,rotten bassas you would think they would have given us all that time in Antwerp,lol anyway anyone on here on her at that time,one I remember was Graham Guppy on deck who came from High Wycome and would give my right arm to get in touch with him again,Thanks Jake.