Posh, true or false

jimthehat
16th July 2011, 21:41
has anyone got any idea of the true meaning of Port out starboard home,some say it is just an urban myth,and P&o apparantly say that they never sold tickets stamped POSH.

jim

Thats another Story
16th July 2011, 21:54
has it got something to do with the trade winds?john(Hippy)

Malky Glaister
16th July 2011, 22:33
My mother in the early fifties told me about port out starboard home. Those days almost everyone travelled by ship The saying has been around for a long time!
My mother was a RN Nursing sister during the second world war in Ceylon and she sailed on Amarapura, a Paddy Henderson ship to the island.

Regards Malky

Pat McCardle
16th July 2011, 22:35
Sailing East so you got accommodation on Portside to get the breezes off the land, starboard home on west heading gets you the same breezes, hence P.O.S.H. I suppose it came from seasoned travellers & crewmembers?

Ron Stringer
16th July 2011, 22:44
Sailing East so you got accommodation on Portside to get the breezes off the land, starboard home on west heading gets you the same breezes, hence P.O.S.H. I suppose it came from seasoned travellers & crewmembers?

The argument in support of the alleged origin of the phrase was more to do with the relative position of the sun. Between the UK and India/Far East, the sun was to the South of the ship; the cabins on the port side were facing away from the sun on the way out and therefore cooler than those on the starboard side. On the way home, the starboard side cabins would have been away from the direct sun.

Who knows the true origin?

Pat McCardle
16th July 2011, 22:47
Who knows the true origin?[/QUOTE]

Probably that guy who signs himself off as Anon[=P]

Boseley
18th July 2011, 20:47
The argument in support of the alleged origin of the phrase was more to do with the relative position of the sun. Between the UK and India/Far East, the sun was to the South of the ship; the cabins on the port side were facing away from the sun on the way out and therefore cooler than those on the starboard side. On the way home, the starboard side cabins would have been away from the direct sun.

Who knows the true origin?

Absolutely correct,

The origin comes from the colonisation of India, the far east and the Antipodes, in the era of sailing ships.

The toffs would travel P.O.S.H. it cost a lot more but was a lot cooler and I believe it was the forerunner of first class accommodation when passenger liners finally appeared on the scene.

All we got was a wind scupper, remember them? six to a cabin, midsummer in the red sea, often slept on the foredeck, so bloomin hot, happy days,

Bob Sendall

paisleymerchant
18th July 2011, 21:00
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/port%20out%20starboard%20home.html

Ian6
19th July 2011, 01:40
Certainly in the late 1950's & 60's in the prewar-built P&O mailships that lacked air conditioning the heat aboard in the Red Sea was intense. With a following wind it was most uncomfortable so we used to turn 180 degrees for a few minutes to get a good draught through thr windshutes. I heard the story of P.O.S.H. but there was never any evidence it was genuine. The oldest hands always claimed it applied "before their time". Nice story, though.
Ian

R651400
19th July 2011, 06:10
I think Ron Stringer's version is the most popular.
All Blue Funnel post-war passenger carrying A class ships had officers accommodation (porthole) on the starboard side and passengers (wind down window) on the port.
Though there were generally fewer passenger on the homeward run they definitely didn't swap over.

trotterdotpom
19th July 2011, 06:26
I'll go with this: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/port%20out%20starboard%20home.html

It's a myth the same as that Stow High In Transit sh!t.

John T

Cisco
19th July 2011, 06:37
Well, I reckon that link is rollocks.... 'the leader of the push' was never posh....

"F*ck me blind, he wants to join us, be a member of the Push.’ Then the stranger made this answer to the Captain of the Push, ‘Why, f*ck me dead, I’m Foreskin Fred, the bastard from the bush. "
http://www.houseofjudas.com/unhinged-and-uncensored/index.php/poetry/the-bastard-from-the-bush-henry-lawson/