Just to say "Hi!"

Nautipast
18th July 2011, 14:10
Hi, everybody ....... I've just registered with this great site, and hope to enjoy being part of this community. I'm a gal, but please don't let that intimidate you too much, as there's not much you could say to scare me, either (Jester)! I just love Naval history, especially British, and am a keen collector of nautical antiques and collectibles (have been for almost 20 years now). I enjoy finding 'new' and unusual objects, which I can sometimes do research on, which is where you guys could come in useful, with all your combined knowledge (Wave)

joebuckham
18th July 2011, 14:16
hi nautipast, welcome aboard and enjoy. there is a wealth of experience on this site and if we don't know the answer to your questions you can bet we know of someone who does

Thats another Story
18th July 2011, 14:24
welcome nautipast if you collect nautical antiques you have hit the jackpot(Hippy)(Jester)regards john

Nautipast
18th July 2011, 14:46
Hi, John, thanks for the quick welcome! I only found the site by accident today, while doing some research on an item that my hubby recently bought from auction. He's the main hunter in our family, but I'm the researcher, and we weren't sure what the item was at first, apart from the fact that it had maritime/nautical connections. The first idea was that it was a pair of bronze "Kissing Kippers", but after contacting Our Man at the Gosport Submarine Museum for information, he told us that it was far too old to be that. I've now discovered that it's the dolphins from a Tiller Yoke, and that they're either late 19th. or early 20th. century. The dolphins are mounted on a shaped hardwood plaque, which may have been purpose made for decorative reasons. Now that we know WHAT it is, I'd love to find out what kind of boat it may have been used on. That could be a lot more difficult to unearth. Maybe this question will be answered by someone on the Forum? (?HUH)

Nautipast
18th July 2011, 14:58
Hi, Jo, thanks for the quick welcome! This looks such an interesting site, with a wealth of information and knowledge, that I'm sure that it's going to be fun to be part of this community! I have no direct Naval connections, apart from long dead relatives (mind you, they all had stories to tell!), and I wish that they were still alive today to help and advise me, and my hubby, who are both keen collectors. He does most of the hunting, and I do the research, which I love to do, although it can be frustrating at times, when I can't source the info that I need. Hopefully, now that I'm part of this elite group of Nautical Know-alls, I'll have more success in my endeavours? Sadly, these days, our Navy is mainly historical, thanks to all the cutbacks, but we feel that that's a good enough reason to try to keep those memories alive, don't you? TTFN! (Wave)

Boseley
18th July 2011, 19:33
Welcome from the island of El Hierro, Islas Canarias,

Bob Sendall

Nautipast
18th July 2011, 21:09
Thanks, Bob, from the cold, wet & windy U.K.! No holiday booked this year in the sun, so people like you might be as near as we get! :( This looks like a really interesting community to be part of, so I'm looking forward to all the chit-chat and info that comes from it. And how's your life in the sun, and why are you over there? How can you bear to be away from our gr8 Brit climate? Not much to talk about when the sun comes out every day, is there? Not like over here, when it's a MAJOR discussion point ........ WOW! Look ...... THE SUN'S SHINING!!!! :D

billyboy
19th July 2011, 00:40
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
19th July 2011, 06:30
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Frank P
19th July 2011, 08:47
Welcome onboard Nautipast, enjoy the site.

Cheers Frank

Nautipast
19th July 2011, 10:18
Thanks for all the warm welcomes since I signed on ........ it looks like I've joined a band of absolute nutters! GREAT!!! ;) I may have found people of my own level at last, so maybe you have the have the smell of the sea in yer nostrils to fuel the grey cells, eh? I'm a landlubber, but love boats and ships .......... but only when the sea's not bumpy! Barf barf!!! :(

Oz.
21st July 2011, 01:50
G'day Nautipast, nearly 60,000 naughtycal antiques (or would be naughtycal) here on this site, but not sure if we're all collectable! Welcome from Melbourne.

Boseley
21st July 2011, 13:09
Thanks, Bob, from the cold, wet & windy U.K.! No holiday booked this year in the sun, so people like you might be as near as we get! :( This looks like a really interesting community to be part of, so I'm looking forward to all the chit-chat and info that comes from it. And how's your life in the sun, and why are you over there? How can you bear to be away from our gr8 Brit climate? Not much to talk about when the sun comes out every day, is there? Not like over here, when it's a MAJOR discussion point ........ WOW! Look ...... THE SUN'S SHINING!!!! :D

Believe it or not it rained yesterday morning!!

Life is good here if you are retired with a pension. Cheaper to live here no heating bills. There are only three English residents on the island. We live here because this is our home now and has been for a number of years. The climate was the main attraction, we do not have the extremes of winter, the locals are very friendly and polite.

I first came to the Canary islands in 1962 on a Shell Tanker called Achatina, that must have started my interest in the islands,

Bob Sendall