Manchester Ship Canal Pilots

BosunsMate
20th July 2011, 21:33
My neighbour thinks his great grandfather was a canal pilot. Does anyone know if there is an archive listing all the pilots?

john richards
21st July 2011, 10:35
Bosunsmate, I remember a book in the local library titled " No tides to Stem" had lists of the old canal pilots ? maybe. cheers John Richards.

Trader
21st July 2011, 23:46
Bosunsmate, I remember a book in the local library titled " No tides to Stem" had lists of the old canal pilots ? maybe. cheers John Richards.

I have got that book somewhere, I shall have to dig it out.

Alec.

BosunsMate
22nd July 2011, 21:41
Many thanks.
The surname name I am looking for is: PACKWOOD, Harman or Reginald.

Ron

Trader
22nd July 2011, 23:26
Many thanks.
The surname name I am looking for is: PACKWOOD, Harman or Reginald.

Ron

Hello Ron,

I found my book and there is a list of pilots in it from when the canal first opened in 1896 and none of the above names appear in it. The book only goes as far as 1923 and I believe there was a second volume that came out later so maybe the names could be in that one.

Interestingly I know of the name Packwood. Packwood and Sons were boatmen at Manchester Docks ie. they tied the ships up. Before I went to sea I worked in a shipping agents office in Manchester and handled all the invoices from Packwoods. Mr. Packwoods daughter handled all his paper work, she also had a Ladies hairdressers on Trafford Road, Salford near the docks. I often took the invoices down to her salon with the cheques for her to receipt for me. I was only a kid, sixteen, and she must have thought that I was a bit of a nuisance as I would turn up with all the invoices whilst she was in the middle of doing a perm. She always gave me a cup of tea though.(Jester).

Alec.

BosunsMate
25th July 2011, 09:55
Many thanks for the info Alec. I will have to see what my neighbour has to say when get back from his holiday.
Ron