John Ireland

Lucky John
23rd July 2011, 14:52
Hello Everyone,
Just found this site today, introduced by a friend. I served in Houlders from 1964 to 1973. Then went on the coast for a couple of years becoming a Humber Pilot in 1976. I am now retired and enjoying finding my way round this site at the moment, especially some of the Houlders posts.

Regards
J. Ireland

gdynia
23rd July 2011, 14:55
welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

billyboy
24th July 2011, 10:21
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Lucky John
24th July 2011, 11:04
Many thanks Billyboy, I'm looking forward to finding my around.

linerrich
24th July 2011, 12:38
Greetings and Welcome Aboard!

Rich

captain61
25th July 2011, 10:02
Welcome aboard this great site

Stephen

Nova Scotian
25th July 2011, 12:54
Hi John:

Welcome to the site. Good to see an old friend signing up. If you look in my pictures there is a picture of you in the control room of the Clerk Maxwell. I'll let you get settled in, then we should chat about our experiences over the past 40 years.

Cheers

Peter Dunford (Dill)

R58484956
26th July 2011, 13:50
Greetings John and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

randcmackenzie
26th July 2011, 23:00
Look back trough your logbooks and see if you and a colleague were ever stuck off the Humber overnight on an OBO named Stride, when she couldn't get her anchor up and missed the tide.

I remember an enjoyable evening of lamp swinging with whoever it was.

Welcome to SN too, lots of lampswingers here.

B/R.

Lucky John
27th July 2011, 20:44
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, much appreciated.
Dill, good to hear from you after half a lifetime, how long have you been over there? Had a look at the photo and it's forty years since I looked in the mirror and saw that much hair, not a lot even then.
Randmackenzie, have'nt had a chance to check the books yet but spent many a night stuck at the Humber for one reason or another, could have been me.
It will be a day or three before I can reply to any more posts as the youngest son is getting married this saturday in the Lake District so going over for a long weekend, he's only thirty five but got there in the end. Would like to spend more time on this site tonight but we've reached the "Does my bum look big in this stage?" ready for the weekend and I keep getting interupted.
Many thanks again for the warm welcome

Cheers
Lucky John

terry morrow
28th July 2011, 18:47
Hi John,
Welcome to SN, you will have a great time going down memory
Lane,I was wondering if you ever sailed with my father MICK
MORROW,he was a " CHIPPIE" with Holders when you were at sea.
He sadly crossed the bar in january this year.
Best Regards
Terry.

Lucky John
10th August 2011, 12:48
Hi Terry,
Sorry to have taken so long to reply to you. The honest answer to your question is I honestly can't remember, every ship I was on chippie was always referred to as chips, nobody ever used first names. If it's any help and you've got your dads discharge book I was on the following ships in Houlders: 1964/ 65 Cerinthus: 1965/66 Joya McCance: 1967 St Merriel & Swan River: 1968 Clerk Maxwell: 1969 Roston Grange: 1970 Joule: 1971 Swan River: 1972 Sagamore & Cerinthus: 1973 Ocean Transport & Camarina. which was when I left Houlders to go on the coast. Sorry I can't be any more help at the moment but if any of the dates coincide then I'm sure that will jog my memory.
Cheers for now
John

terry morrow
10th August 2011, 19:12
Hi John,
Thanks for the reply, my dad did sail on the CERINTHUS,he joined her
BANDER MASHER 18-11-1972,AND DISCHARGED AT SHELLHAVEN
24-5-1973, my dad joined HOLDER'S IN 1964 on the TUDOR PRINCE,
And was with them until he retired in 1983,due to cut backs on
On CHIPPIES by the then owner C.Y. TUNG, they wanted him to go
For his A.B's ticket then sail as handyman/ BOSUN, all those years
Service sailing as a CHIPPIE, then to go for his A.B's ticket it was an
INSULT,so he took early retirement, he had to much pride to switch
Job's at his age.Hope to hear from you soon.
Best Regards
Terry Morrow.

Lucky John
11th August 2011, 17:10
Hello again Terry,
I've just dug out my old discharge books and from your dates I did overlap with your dad for about 3 weeks, I paid off the Cerinthus in Dar es Salaam on the 9.12.72 after 7 months on board. But I have to be honest I don't remember him, only the chap he relieved who joined the same time as I did, an old scotsman called Henry McCalindon, another who took a lot of pride in his work, so I can see where your dad was coming from taking early retirement.
I'm sorry I can't be any more help but I suppose it was a busy time on board coming up to payoffs, portage bills and all that stuff, plus a a new wife at home nearly ready to produce the first kiddy, I suppose I was just ready for off.
Once again sorry I could'nt be any more help.

Cheers for now
John

terry morrow
12th August 2011, 15:31
Hi John
I see you remember HARRY MCALINDON, he was a good friend of my
dad,as was DAVY HILL, another CHIPPIE from JARROW, they all sailed
with FURNESS-WITHY,AND THEN HOLDER BROS, HARRY was a great
character,he could tell a good yarn when he was in the mood.sadly
DAVY HILL has also crossed the bar.
Best Regards
Terry.

David Gazzard
12th August 2011, 16:59
Hi there John,

Just spotted that you have joined. We 'overlapped' on the Clark-Maxwell and Joule. I have a pic of you on the Joule which I will get scanned and posted.
I see you were a pilot on the Humber. Perhaps you were on board of some of Petredec's LPG tankers in the 90's when I was Ops. Manager as my final incarnation before retiring in 2006.

All the best

Dave Gazzard

Lucky John
13th August 2011, 10:33
hi Terry,
Yes I do remember Henry, I always thought of him as one of lifes nice guys, I had my wife with me that trip, just got married, Henry carved us a table lamp for a wedding present, made from a rolling pin he "borrowed" off the cook, Does'nt sound much on paper but the way he carved it showed his skills off as a carpenter, I've still got it nearly 40 years later. He could certainly tell a good yarn especially over a can or two of Tennants.

Cheers for now
John

Lucky John
13th August 2011, 10:55
Hello Dave Gazzard,
Very long time no see, only 41 years, was'nt that the trip they sold the ship to the Italians, in Genoa I think, John Pope was master.
Just had a look on your photos, was that me rigged for ammonia, there's no wonder I went piloting.
Chances are I was on some of your ships while I was on the river, but I left there in 2001 after our dispute with ABP. Went relieving on the coast for a couple of years and finished as berthing master on the Humber Sea Terminal. A friend of mine was operations manager there and asked me to go there for a couple of weeks while a new service settled in, I finally left four and a half years later, when I retired in 2008.

All the best for now
John