HMT Laconia

picktish bull
27th July 2011, 18:50
Permission to come aboard, sir?

Many thanks for the welcome to this Forum. Unsurprisingly i am looking for some help. i am currently writing a book about peoples experiences in World War 2 as varied as the blitz upon Britain's cities, under attack in a Lancaster bomber and working in the forests as a lumberjill.

One of the stories is a bout a man who was a survivor of the Laconia sinking. i have searched the internet but cannot find the date on which the Laconia left Suez on her final voyage, or the other ports she called at with the exception of Capetown [1 sept '42].

I wonder if anyone has the information to fill in the details of her voyage up to the time of the attack by U-156, or where i might find the information.

Very many thanks,
pictish bull

Reef Knot
27th July 2011, 19:01
Welcome aboard. I'll bet someone here will know - chapter and verse!

simon wales
27th July 2011, 19:32
Permission to come aboard, sir?

Many thanks for the welcome to this Forum. Unsurprisingly i am looking for some help. i am currently writing a book about peoples experiences in World War 2 as varied as the blitz upon Britain's cities, under attack in a Lancaster bomber and working in the forests as a lumberjill.

One of the stories is a bout a man who was a survivor of the Laconia sinking. i have searched the internet but cannot find the date on which the Laconia left Suez on her final voyage, or the other ports she called at with the exception of Capetown [1 sept '42].

I wonder if anyone has the information to fill in the details of her voyage up to the time of the attack by U-156, or where i might find the information.

Very many thanks,
picktish bull

my grandad served on the empire merchant ships convoys taking planes tanks ammunition out and returning with coal or oil from 44 to 46 as ships cook . he often spoke of the special bond between crew , but seldom of the times when they lost ships to u boats and had to sail by as poor souls screamed and burned in the sea. he always said war was wrong and a waste. prior to serving he worked the land forestry,s and was straffed once my a german bomber returning after bombing swansea docks...im looking for any info on the empire ships and ionic star 168735.....cheers simon wales

picktish bull
27th July 2011, 21:30
Many thanks Reef Knot. i do hope so.

picktish bull
27th July 2011, 21:35
Thanks Simon. i was interested to learn that your granddad was strafed by a returning bomber. I was talking to a WRNS recently who told me that she found the body of someone less lucky than your granddad when she was only 14.
regards, pictish bull

billyboy
27th July 2011, 22:44
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

picktish bull
27th July 2011, 23:30
Many thanks for the welcome, Billyboy. I'm sure you must be enjoying blue skies and golden sands down there in south seas. Lucky man
pictish bull

gdynia
28th July 2011, 09:15
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

captain61
28th July 2011, 14:36
Welcome aboard this great site

Stephen

James_C
28th July 2011, 18:42
A warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia where I hope you'll find much of interest!
Enjoy the voyage!

picktish bull
28th July 2011, 18:47
Thanks for the welcome, Stephen and yes I do support the RNLI. For a short time, when I was much younger I was part of an inshore rescue crew - we did a real rescue too :)

pictish bull

picktish bull
28th July 2011, 19:52
Thanks for the welcome aboard gdynia and you too James C. I come from an army family. both my parents were career soldiers, before, during and after WW2, so it's nice to be welcomed by SN members.

pictish bull

joebuckham
28th July 2011, 20:53
welcome aboard, thread on laconia already started under that heading. enjoy and i hope you find all you're looking for

stores
28th July 2011, 21:56
my grandad served on the empire merchant ships convoys taking planes tanks ammunition out and returning with coal or oil from 44 to 46 as ships cook . he often spoke of the special bond between crew , but seldom of the times when they lost ships to u boats and had to sail by as poor souls screamed and burned in the sea. he always said war was wrong and a waste. prior to serving he worked the land forestry,s and was straffed once my a german bomber returning after bombing swansea docks...im looking for any info on the empire ships and ionic star 168735.....cheers simon wales

hi, which empire ships do u want to know about, any specific names ?

stores
28th July 2011, 22:04
photo of Ionic Star