Bristol Steam Navigation Company

Waighty
2nd August 2011, 23:51
BSNC, or as it was known in its final years Bristol Seaway.

I was only with them when the fleet was down to two ships ECHO and APOLLO. I sailed on them both as a fill-in 2nd and 1st Mate in 1976 and 1977, when I was trying to get my brain to pass my Master's Ticket at Brunel Tech College, Ashley Down.

Echo's skipper was Wally Keys and Apollo's was Joe Earl. Great run from Avonmouth to Dublin and back or Avonmouth to Cork and back and sometimes a really long trip (joke) Avonmouth to Cork to Dublin and back.

I was asked to stay long term but they couldn't give me any employment guarantees so I went back deep sea. Shortly after that BET took them over, put one of them on the east coast and then sold them both - a real shame.

Those two ships were good sea boats and well designed in my opinion, if I'd been there twenty years earlier I would have stayed.

Any ex BSNC guys out there? If so please contribute.

John Rogers
3rd August 2011, 00:09
I think those two ships were built by Chas Hill in Bristol. Joe earl is active in the MN Bristol Branch.

John.

Jacktar1
3rd August 2011, 19:38
Brings back happy memories.....in 1956 I sailed as 2nd Mate and 1st Mate on the CATO, they had quite a few ships in those days, CATO was on the Bristol - Dublin run (known as the "Guiness Run") back then. If I remember correctly, it was around 34 - 40 hours total sea time weekly ! Masters on CATO were Capt Jenkins ( later was Master on the ECHO for a long time) and Capt Dudgeon. CATO plus another vessel did the Bristol - Dublin - Bristol run and the others were on the Bristol - Newport - Cardiff- Swansea - Antwerp - Rotterdam run.
I also sailed as relief 1st Mate on the MILO which was on the UK - Continental run.
In the 1950's it was almost impossible to obtain a permanent position with BSNC......they were great ships , and once in hardly
anyone left the company.

Cheers.......Glan

John Rogers
3rd August 2011, 19:43
Hi Glan,nice to see you on the board,have you been back to the land of song and picked out your home yet.

John.

Waighty
8th August 2011, 16:52
I think those two ships were built by Chas Hill in Bristol. Joe earl is active in the MN Bristol Branch.

John.

Hi John,

Thanks for that, I take it that's the MN Association?

Mike

John Rogers
8th August 2011, 18:22
Hi John,

Thanks for that, I take it that's the MN Association?

Mike

That is correct Mike.

John.

gateman211
13th October 2011, 00:00
BSNC, or as it was known in its final years Bristol Seaway.

I was only with them when the fleet was down to two ships ECHO and APOLLO. I sailed on them both as a fill-in 2nd and 1st Mate in 1976 and 1977, when I was trying to get my brain to pass my Master's Ticket at Brunel Tech College, Ashley Down.

Echo's skipper was Wally Keys and Apollo's was Joe Earl. Great run from Avonmouth to Dublin and back or Avonmouth to Cork and back and sometimes a really long trip (joke) Avonmouth to Cork to Dublin and back.

I was asked to stay long term but they couldn't give me any employment guarantees so I went back deep sea. Shortly after that BET took them over, put one of them on the east coast and then sold them both - a real shame.

Those two ships were good sea boats and well designed in my opinion, if I'd been there twenty years earlier I would have stayed.

Any ex BSNC guys out there? If so please contribute.
i worked on the dido. i am from dublin the captain was llewellyn, then capt murphy .. i only remember the dido , the hero the apollo . i workrd from avonmouth to le harve to rotterdam then london , that was 1969 .. the apollo was a beautiful ship

gateman211
13th October 2011, 11:33
i worked on the dido. i am from dublin the captain was llewellyn, then capt murphy .. i only remember the dido , the hero the apollo . i workrd from avonmouth to le harve to rotterdam then london , that was 1969 .. the apollo was a beautiful ship
my brother also worked on the dido for a few years , he only worked dublin to avonmouth. my dad worked for bsnc as a checker ..

cremacatalana
28th November 2011, 17:28
Forget Paignton, Shaldon, Hayling Island......................my favourite holiday as a schoolkid was staying in a chalet at Walton Bay watching ships with a rather weak telescope (the best my dad and Mum could afford). Altho the big ships were more exciting, I always looked forward to the arrival at the anchorage of Cato, Apollo and Milo. Now I live in Spain, and I'll have to rummage around the garage to see if I still have any B and W photos.