American in Ireland

Wild.Bill
3rd August 2011, 13:47
Hi all, nice to find a place for ship lovers.

I'm an American living in Ireland. Moved here so I would still be close enough to America to work via phone/internet and to help my kids see that not everyone thinks like Americans or sees it through red, white, and blue eyes. Please don't get the idea I don't like my homeland, I do, it is just that there is a whole wide world out there that people should experience. I think everyone would get along a lot better if more people did (I read the other day that less than 10% of Americans have passports so that was an eye opener!). I lived all over the world as a kid so felt some broadening out would help my kids. And from here much it is much easier to visit Europe and N. Africa.

So my business in America, tied to residential home building (www.glass-guru.com) has slowed right along with new housing starts. This means finding supplemental work in Ireland, of which there is none. So we tried opening an advertising business and launching a magazine but soon found out it would probably be easier to launch a lead balloon.

The coffee shops here stay full so now our thought is to supplement with a coffee shop. Our theme will be nautical. We'll be called Three Ships Coffee or Clipper Ship Coffee or something along those lines. Feel free to suggest. Also if you know anything about the coffee shop business, which we do not, feel free to chime in with any advice.

So one thing I wanted to find were photos of old cargo ships to decorate the shop. You know the ones where they've got the giant net full of cargo hanging off of one of their deck booms. Hopefully the picture will show tons of bags of coffee beans. You get the picture (no pun intended). I'd prefer black and white or sepia. We're shooting for a 1920s-1930s feel to the place.

Haven't decided which city to open in yet but will post that when we do, if we do, and definitely drop by for what we trust will be the best cup of coffee in Ireland (since we plan to roast our own beans on site).

Cheers!

captain61
3rd August 2011, 14:00
Welcome aboard this great site. You will find plenty of photos of old cargo ships and plenty of good folk on here to help you with the history
Good Luck

Stephen

hawkey01
3rd August 2011, 15:50
Wild.bill,

on behalf of the Moderating team welcome to SN. Enjoy all we have to offer.

Hawkey01

billyboy
4th August 2011, 01:43
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
4th August 2011, 09:44
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

linerrich
4th August 2011, 10:46
Greetings and Welcome Aboard from a fellow Yank who totally understands your feelings and philosophy!

Rich

aje
4th August 2011, 11:31
Hi Wild Bill,
Looking for a place to set up shop, Belmullet's waiting for one....not too much passing trade though.
May have some 10x8 black and white photos, ships at sea style, if you're interested from early 70's.
Hope it goes to plan.
aje

R58484956
4th August 2011, 19:24
Greetings WB and welcome to SN. Good luck with the shop. Bon voyage.

TonyAllen
4th August 2011, 19:58
How about clipper coffee and the best of luck to you Tony